Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    An interesting summation (stated in my best understated voice):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/trump-covid-pandemic-dark-winter/?itid=hp-top-table-main

The miraculous arrival of a coronavirus vaccine this past week marks the first glimmer of hope amid a pandemic that for 10 months has ravaged the country, decimated its economy and fundamentally altered social interactions.

Yet that triumph of scientific ingenuity and bureaucratic efficiency does not conceal the difficult truth, that the virus has caused proportionately more infections and deaths in the United States than in most other developed nations — a result, experts say, of a dysfunctional federal response led by a president perpetually in denial.

“I think he’s just done with covid,” said one of Trump’s closest advisers who, like many others interviewed for this story, spoke on the condition of anonymity to candidly discuss internal deliberations and operations. “I think he put it on a timetable and he’s done with covid. . . . It just exceeded the amount of time he gave it.”
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    1.68M deaths reported so far ,unreported deaths, who knows ?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It has been suggested that teachers in my country may receive a vaccine a tad sooner than the rest of the population. If so, I can't say I'm unhappy about that. Truth be told, I can't wait to get a vaccine in my system, though I'll be most happy to see my parents get it first and as soon as possible.

My fiancee and I are getting married coming July, whether it's just the two of us attending or family, friends and colleagues as well. We would, of course, love to have our parents and grandparents (who are in their 80s) there. If they have been vaccinated by then, at least we'll have to worry a lot less about them falling ill due to a possible infection.

Meanwhile, I encourage everyone to take a corona vaccine when given the chance. It's the only way we can effectively beat the pandemic if not the virus itself. One of our universities conducted a survey and it turns out that those who have so far been most willing to play by the rules are also the ones most willing to get a vaccine. Somewhat paradoxically, those who have been playing an antagonistic role in the entire affair and have thus been directly responsible for the death of many, seem doubtful about taking a vaccine. One would expect the impatient who have been crying for a return to normalcy to do everything possible to get there as quickly as possible. Getting a vaccine is a good place to start because that would aid in achieving group immunity. Then again, there is very little in the sense of intelligent thinking to be expected from people who have been pretending, for many months and with hard numbers giving them a cold, painful stare, that the pandemic is just a hoax, not really "all that bad" or certainly not bad enough to pay for with our -- what was the fancy word again? -- "freedom". Those idiots are the only ones who might actually stand in the way of a large-scale successful vaccination campaign.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just some info ... hope you all get one of the vaccines asap. Meanwhile, please continue with all precautions.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, over here, whilst we got lockdown, the IC's are overflowing, and our government has been sleeping. We'll be the last in Europe to start the vaccinations, somewhere in januari. Only because the vaccines couldn't be delivered in small boxes and our government didn't think of organising mass vaccination places. Yes, it's that sad....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The roll out, distribution, care in transit, and schedule/plan for vaccinating citizens is a real concern in many places. Florida is a swamp in disarray. It is shameful.

In Japan, we are looking at March. January will show latest results of testing done in Japan by Pfizer. Japan govt is cautious and has pledged to check all thoroughly before giving to citizens. We have a huge elderly population here. So the schedule is that healthcare workers and people age 65 and older (me!) are the first two categories to get the vaccine. Late Feb or early March start; I think for me March/early April.

I am hopeful it will be organized and go smoothly. It is free to everyone here. I have three main doctors that I see, all of them speak English well, and I hope they can give me information during the next few months. Virus is exploding here now. I only have only one job, but co-workers are lax. Only some, but of course it only takes ONE negligent person to spread this virus. Anyway, we are trying to hang on. At least there is no stress about wearing a face mask here, thankfully (it was already part of the culture, as you all probably already knew).
    Yes, I know, it's not safe for work, but I can't resist posting this :

Excellent post, @Gerard! :D
    I'm suddenly happy not to be single anymore...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just read a post that PROVES this whole Corona thing is a fake hoax! A nurse in a backwater hospital somewhere says they have 3 ICU beds there, and only one is occupied. THERE- PROOF!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Buffalo Bills will allow fans in first playoff game, thanks to Emmy Award Winner Andrew Cuomo (who will also be in attendance). Will allow 6,700- fans to attend.

#BillsMafia Lets Go!!!!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    That Emmy stuff really is crazy.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Buffalo Bills will allow fans in first playoff game, thanks to Emmy Award Winner Andrew Cuomo (who will also be in attendance). Will allow 6,700- fans to attend.

#BillsMafia Lets Go!!!!

That sounds crazy... until you read the whole thing:

"As part of a New York State Demonstration Project, Buffalo Bills fans will be permitted to attend the first Bills home playoff game in 25 years. New York State approved a capacity of 6,772 fans to attend the Bills first playoff game and is requiring all fans attending the Bills Playoff Game to obtain a NEGATIVE COVID-19 test result prior to the game. This testing will be conducted by the NFL's testing partner, BioReference Laboratories. Please see below for information about the testing requirements. Further, attendees will be required to self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms prior to arrival at Bills Stadium pursuant to the questionnaire below. As a result of certain NFL Rules and other commitments, approximately 6,200 tickets will be available for purchase. Please see below for information about ticketing."
    "Tickets will be available to purchase in pods of 2 seats or pods of 4 seats ONLY. The number of seats included within a pod cannot be changed. If three (3) people are planning on attending the game, you will need to purchase a pod of 4 tickets."

sounds to me it comes with full testing and social distancing...

Now I know nothing of this very boring sport, but I take it the first time in 25 years they can start from their home turf is supposed to be something special.

Still, I agree it would be better not to have the game at all. But somehow all over the world professional sports are more important than health.

What about him publishing a book back in October about how he beat the pandemic? Maybe a little premature!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Escalus5 wrote: »

What about him publishing a book back in October about how he beat the pandemic? Maybe a little premature!

He published a book about how he beat the pandemic?

https://aaqr.org/articles/aaqr-20-07-covid-0403
    One of my direct collegues has fallen ill. I'm quite impressed as what the virus can do to someone who's generally very healthy, and not old at all. But I guess that for the likes of @Thunderfinger it only counts when you die.

Why do you say that?

Because you've consistently posted links to articles that either downplayed the impact of the virus, or of the measures taken by government bodies. Links, too, that were easily debunked with a very quick search on google. The latest beeing an article in which was stated that the testing method was faulty. Signed by 'doctors' whom either were no doctor in the first place, or admitted to know absolutely nothing of virology (as, i.e. a neuro-surgeon).
    It gives the feeling that you don't take this whole affair serious in the first place. Either that, or you just don't know how to check sources. In that case I apaologise. As someone working in information management i may have some presumptions on checking information before one shares it.

You obviously don t know what you re talking about.

Neither do you, as has been shown time and time again by your nonsense links. It's becoming embarrassing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-asda-first-supermarket-provide-23309227

Asda to provide in-store Covid-19 vaccinations - delivering hundreds of jabs a day
    From 25 departments to the whole of France : Curfew will be advanced from 20.00 to 18.00 in France as of this saturday, for at least 15 days. I'll have to buy my groceries sooner than usual. I know I'm repeating myself, but... When will it finally over ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    From 25 departments to the whole of France : Curfew will be advanced from 20.00 to 18.00 in France as of this saturday, for at least 15 days. I'll have to buy my groceries sooner than usual. I know I'm repeating myself, but... When will it finally over ?

Let's just hope the massive vaccination campaigns will provide enough counterforce to see some brightness in our situation soon.

In any case, @Gerard, I wish you the best of luck from Belgium, mate. We're in this together!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Let's just hope the massive vaccination campaigns will provide enough counterforce to see some brightness in our situation soon.

In any case, @Gerard, I wish you the best of luck from Belgium, mate. We're in this together!

Quite literaly.

Here as well the lockdown is extended and they're talking about curfew. All because of the british version.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Here in the States we will be with you all in six days time... once... you know...
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Good news coming out of Western NY, as a judge has ruled in favor of over 90 restaurants that brought suit against the State of NY.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/judge-rules-in-favor-of-restaurants-indoor-dining-now-allowed-in-orange-zone/71-1e2fabf4-13bc-45c2-ba9a-913e25e366b1

This is ironic, as the governor just completed his state of the state address a few days ago, questioning why NY has no funds and that its time to re-open.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Welcome to the new dictatorship. Why do people put up with this?

Welcome to the new dictatorship. Why do people put up with this?

You obviously don't think lockdowns are a good idea, so please let us know what is the alternative....?
    Dictatorship? I would say common sense. If nothing else, people have shown these past couple of months that they cannot respect, abide by or agree with simple yet effective rules. With many still dying every day, the only option left is then to enforce said rules, which is an unpleasant but temporarily necessary thing to do. A curfew is part of a solution, not part of a problem. And since the French government doesn't like this either, this too will go away as soon as possible.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Dictatorship? I would say common sense. If nothing else, people have shown these past couple of months that they cannot respect, abide by or agree with simple yet effective rules. With many still dying every day, the only option left is then to enforce said rules, which is an unpleasant but temporarily necessary thing to do. A curfew is part of a solution, not part of a problem. And since the French government doesn't like this either, this too will go away as soon as possible.

Exactly. I think we'd all like to meet up again, go to restaurants and bars, go on a holiday, etc. And you might be able to allow those things if people play it straight.

But they don't. If the government decide that you're allowed to see 5 people in a week, many people would meet up with 10. If the government say you can go to a restaurant with just the ones you live with, many would go with a whole bunch of people who don't. If the government doesn't restrict travel possibilities, people would still go to wherever by plane.

Some people have chosen to live like this virus does not exist, or if it does, that it's 'just a flu'. Or even worse, they think only people in poor health die and why should I care about someone else when it can't kill me?

This sort of mentality makes it impossible to stop the virus from spreading. This sort of behaviour makes it also impossible to soften restrictions. It's the same old story: 'give someone a finger and he'll rip your whole arm off'. If we had all followed those few restrictions that were still intact during the summer, chances are it wouldn't have escalated like this again.

So what's the alternative? Because there are already lots of folks lined up to go all bonkers again.