Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Cinema has never been safer.

I'd love to see some more information on why cinemas are safer in this moment than they've ever been.

If they are, it's only because of the precautions being taken. No one's getting sick in them because no one's in them! But I suppose we should wait for people to die before taking action?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love seeing classics in the cinema, particularly Golden Age Hollywood.
    I wouldn't be surprised if IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE turns up this month at my local cinema. I'd love to see that. I half expect to be the only person watching DIE HARD if I go.

@ToTheRight if it's safe and if you are comfortable going, then i believe you should go but if you aren't comfortable despite all safety measures then i believe you shouldn't. It's all about enjoyment, if it's not fun then what will be the point of going? Cinemas here have opened and i haven't watched a single film yet because i am not comfortable going at the moment, even if it's safe.
    I wouldn't be surprised if IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE turns up this month at my local cinema. I'd love to see that. I half expect to be the only person watching DIE HARD if I go.

@ToTheRight if it's safe and if you are comfortable going, then i believe you should go but if you aren't comfortable despite all safety measures then i believe you shouldn't. It's all about enjoyment, if it's not fun then what will be the point of going? Cinemas here have opened and i haven't watched a single film yet because i am not comfortable going at the moment, even if it's safe.

Good points. I'll see how I feel over the weekend.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

What country do you live in ?

Here in melbourne ,australia we have no cases now and still must wear masks indoors.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Here in melbourne ,australia we have no cases now and still must wear masks indoors.

This is what happens when politicians play doctor.

The U.S.- where I live there's been a slight spike, but not as intense as other parts of the country.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,962

Says our top virologist?
    Politicians do what they should do: asses risks, and impose rules on society. It's easo complain. They're just trying to prevent a new outbreak. That's hardly playing doctors.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 12,980
    Damn. The original DIE HARD is playing at my local cinema for only $7 a ticket this weekend. I haven't been to a movie theater since.........well since Eastwood's last film a couple years ago.

Anyone here been to the cinema since COVID ? How safe does it feel and is it worth the risk? Is it still fun in spite of all the hoops one must jump through?

I'm quite tempted to go, though timing and my schedule will ultimately dictate whether I end up going.
    I enjoyed the re-release of Inception, plus 3 viewings of Tenet meaning 2 with my wife, another with the whole family. I did feel safe, bought items from the concessions stand each time, had the theater experience to remember. The only negative aspect was a couple of the theaters were displaying Mulan posters (where in reality it went to Disney+ streaming instead of cinemas).

I also go to a restaurant once or twice a week with my family, following state (I'm in the US) and CDC guidelines.

@ToTheRight, do a risk assessment and follow the rules is my thought. If you're not high risk, enjoy the film and your place in film history attending at this point in time.

I've been especially busy the past month or more, but I really do need to make time to get back to seeing movies in theaters. Like eating at restaurants and ordering take-out more than I would normally, it's important to support the local businesses.

And now I remember what a great Christmas movie Die Hard is. I'm all in. Checking local schedules it's available. I should consider that and The Blues Brothers, A Christmas Story. Plus take a closer look a new releases.

200.gif

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Everyone should stay home right now. The time for theaters is Christmas 2021.

Says our top virologist?
    Politicians do what they should do: asses risks, and impose rules on society. It's easo complain. They're just trying to prevent a new outbreak. That's hardly playing doctors.

If they have zero new cases they must obviously be doing something right!
    jobo wrote: »

Says our top virologist?

We have zero cases because they locked us down for 111 days after a hotel quarantine went wrong because the government put private security instead of the police or army there and therefore the whole state became infected and 820 died in a country death total of 908.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Says our top virologist?

Thank you so much for the lecture.

Says our top virologist?

+1
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm afraid the problem might be citizens playing for virologists, rather than politicians playing for doctors. Politicians, at least the ones that are half decent, try to keep risks as low as possible. At least they are listening to the experts and make decisions informed by the ones in the know.

Unfortunately, there are civilians who think they are entitled to their 'freedom' (those breaking the restrictions clearly have no idea what 'freedom' actually means) and act like spoiled little teenagers. That's the kind of selfish behaviour that not only pushes the health system to its limits, but also puts other, more vulnerable, people's lives at risk.

You would think that message has finally come across, after a second wave of infections (with fatal consequences), but some people will never learn. Unfortunately.

edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I'm afraid the problem might be citizens playing for virologists, rather than politicians playing for doctors. Politicians, at least the ones that are half decent, try to keep risks as low as possible. At least they are listening to the experts and make decisions informed by the ones in the know.

Unfortunately, there are civilians who think they are entitled to their 'freedom' (those breaking the restrictions clearly have no idea what 'freedom' actually means) and act like spoiled little teenagers. That's the kind of selfish behaviour that not only pushes the health system to its limits, but also puts other, more vulnerable, people's lives at risk.

You would think that message has finally come across, after a second wave of infections (with fatal consequences), but some people will never learn. Unfortunately.

Yes, exactly. Those in charge have experts who know what they’re talking about advising, like Fauci in the states and Henry here in BC. If you’re anti-mask / anti-science, look up the difference between “research” and “conclusion shopping” (if you’re able). We get it, you don’t want to wear a mask; it’s an inconvenience. So of course you’re going to be able to find any kind of bullshit “information” on the internet to support your desire to not wear a mask. “They don’t work, coronavirus isn’t serious”. Absolute selfishness. It’s fucking embarrassing the privilege of people who can deny the existence / seriousness of a global pandemic, while at the same time millions are dying of it.

I think you are too kind referring to them as "spoilt teenagers". I would call them spoilt toddlers.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Yes, exactly. Those in charge have experts who know what they’re talking about advising, like Fauci in the states and Henry here in BC. If you’re anti-mask / anti-science, look up the difference between “research” and “conclusion shopping” (if you’re able). We get it, you don’t want to wear a mask; it’s an inconvenience. So of course you’re going to be able to find any kind of bullshit “information” on the internet to support your desire to not wear a mask. “They don’t work, coronavirus isn’t serious”. Absolute selfishness. It’s fucking embarrassing the privilege of people who can deny the existence / seriousness of a global pandemic, while at the same time millions are dying of it.

I applaud both posts. Well spoken, gents!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Says our top virologist?

We have zero cases because they locked us down for 111 days after a hotel quarantine went wrong because the government put private security instead of the police or army there and therefore the whole state became infected and 820 died in a country death total of 908.

Well, that sure is a propper FU, but tbh on a population of, what is it these days, 20 mil? you have 900 deaths, you've done extremely well. Over here we get half that per week, on 17 mil. souls.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We're working hard to get our official Covid death toll to hit 400,000 by New Years. I am confident we can surpass this goal.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,350

Says our top virologist?

Well, that sure is a propper FU, but tbh on a population of, what is it these days, 20 mil? you have 900 deaths, you've done extremely well. Over here we get half that per week, on 17 mil. souls.

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

Visit Australia....... :)]
    australia-map-meme.jpg

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

Haha have been there twice, love Australia! And the movie isn't half bad either, but a bit long. Got to see the dropbears as well.

I live almost exactly at the opposite side of the planet, the low countries.

edited December 2020 Posts: 2,350

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

Haha have been there twice, love Australia! And the movie isn't half bad either, but a bit long. Got to see the dropbears as well.

Haven't watched Australia yet.

What are the the low countries ?

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

Officially it's The Netherlands and Belgium together, but I live in the Netherlands (litterally: low countries). A swampy area that has worse weather than Britain, and where the local inhabitants found it necessary to start stealing land from the sea by building dikes and windmills to drain it empty.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

Officially it's The Netherlands and Belgium together, but I live in the Netherlands (litterally: low countries). A swampy area that has worse weather than Britain, and where the local inhabitants found it necessary to start stealing land from the sea by building dikes and windmills to drain it empty.
    They also found an ingenious way to get rid of the drained water. They put it into little red round plastic bags and sold it as tomatoes to the rest of the world. (SCNR)
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

They also found an ingenious way to get rid of the drained water. They put it into little red round plastic bags and sold it as tomatoes to the rest of the world. (SCNR)

Indeed, one of our finer 'schemes'.

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

That's bizarre.......

Says our top virologist?

That's terrible.
    Where do you live Ross ?

australia-map-meme.jpg

That's bizarre.......

YOu think that's bizarre?

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let's get back on topic, chaps. :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Let's get back on topic, chaps. :)

Got a point, Dimi.
    A 90-year UK woman becomes the first in the world to receive a COVID-19 vaccine outside of trial

Margaret Keenan, 90, from Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, became the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine outside of a clinical trial, marking the start of the UK’s mass vaccination programme.