Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @CommanderRoss , the comparison wasn t aimed at you, and I did not expect you to understand it. Also, Wikipedia is not a trustworthy source. And Russian names being on a list does not prove a Putin conspiracy. This sort of thinking reminds me of the prosecution of jews or witches. It is irrational.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @CommanderRoss , the comparison wasn t aimed at you, and I did not expect you to understand it. Also, Wikipedia is not a trustworthy source. And Russian names being on a list does not prove a Putin conspiracy. This sort of thinking reminds me of the prosecution of jews or witches. It is irrational.
    Nnnnnnoooooo, what's irrational is not doing the work it takes to find out what's true & what isn't, simply to satisfy your confirmation bias.
    But, whatever.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

You resort to insulting other members because your argument is nothing. You don’t engage in proper research, either because you don’t know how to or because it doesn’t suit you to do so.

Stop insulting other members.

You resort to insulting other members because your argument is nothing. You don’t engage in proper research, either because you don’t know how to or because it doesn’t suit you to do so.

Stop insulting other members.

Are ou calling somebody a member? ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,343
    matt_u wrote: »
    Italy has reached the highest number of deaths for COVID-19 in Europe. Plus, it’s suffering the highest domestic product decrease in all UE. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be the last to start the vaccination campaign.

The poorer countries i'm afraid will get it last unlike countries like the usa,australia,canada etc

Sure. I was speaking about the UE. The Pfizer vaccine will arrive in Italy in less than a month, but I fear the lack of organization within the government will cause a further delay of the vaccination campaign.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As of next week I will be tested weekly and soon receive the 30 minute test's and I would not be surprised if I get a vaccine as early as January/February.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    As of next week I will be tested weekly and soon receive the 30 minute test's and I would not be surprised if I get a vaccine as early as January/February.

That's good news, sir. :)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 1,261
    Germany went into a hard lockdown today, and at least until January 10, but presumingly longer. People are not allowed to leave the house or stay outside from 8 pm till 5am. All shops apart from bakeries, food shops, supermarkets, drugstores and chemist's shops are closed. And you are only allowed to leave your house ro buy foods, medicisnes, or to see a doctor. Hopefzully this will help to flatten the curve, as infection numbers and the number of people who died in connection with Covid19 are going through the roofs. In the UK peole can get their vaccinations, over here in Germany we will have to wait till January, maybe the vaccination can begin after Christmas.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That's good news, sir. :)

Indeed first of all the frequent testing gives peace of mind to know those around you are safe.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Germany went into a hard lockdown today, and at least until January 10, but presumingly longer. People are not allowed to leave the house or stay outside from 8 pm till 5am. All shops apart from bakeries, food shops, supermarkets, drugstores and chemist's shops are closed. And you are only allowed to leave your house ro buy foods, medicisnes, or to see a doctor. Hopefzully this will help to flatten the curve, as infection numbers and the number of people who died in connection with Covid19 are going through the roofs. In the UK peole can get their vaccinations, over here in Germany we will have to wait till January, maybe the vaccination can begin after Christmas.

Objection, your honour! There is NO general curfew except in a few cities in Germany, but these are local specialties. I can go out anytime I like, including at night, and travel where I want in the entire republic, except that any so-called non-essential stores or shops are closed and I may not wish to go there in the first place for that reason. I also can't have my hair cut before 10th of January but I am entirely free to hike circles around my town, even without a mask, and longingly gaze at the salon. Since I rarely go shopping anywhere besides my butcher and supermarkets, which remain open, I don't feel any difference yet. Nor do I expect to in the coming holiday weeks.

I think all this opposition to the new coronavirus restrictions, as far as Germany is concerned, is simply a luxury problem and high-level whining. With the exception of (so far) very few urban areas with an outrageously high incidence of cases, nobody is locking anyone up. If this is a hard lockdown, the virus must be laughing itself to death. Which may be the solution.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So you're posting here with the full expectation people don't understand what you're on about. What's the purpose of that?
    Wikipedia is actually one of the most trusted sources on the internet, beeing more accurate than the encyclopedia britannica. The reason for it beeing it's policy of multiple editors and their need to use published sources. For more information I recommend reading their policy pages.
    And no, Russian names on a list doesn't imply putins involvement, it implies Russian involvement. Russians often have Russian names.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Okay, I do correct myself: In several parts of Germany, e.g. Baden-Württemberg, you are not allowed tto leave the house between 8pm and 5am without a good reason. But the complete lockdown actually started today.
    https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/corona-regeln-lockdown-101.html
    French president Emmanuel Macron has tested positive for CoVid-19.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/12/17/french-president-macron-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

Yes, sadly, the virus doesn't discriminate.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That's probably the only good side of the virus. Imagine what would happen if it did!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

We here in the U.S can attest to that. I wonder what steroids/drugs they gave Trump for him to beat it so quickly.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

We here in the U.S can attest to that. I wonder what steroids/drugs they gave Trump for him to beat it so quickly.

Yes i wonder how Trump beat the virus so quickly as well ?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

If it doesn t , why do some people die while others don t even notice they have it?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526

If it doesn t , why do some people die while others don t even notice they have it?

The obvious intention of the original comment was that it doesn’t discriminate between rich and poor, powerful and powerless. It obviously is affected by the immune system and vulnerabilities of each person it infects. Does this really need to be explained?

If the rich and powerful get the disease only to recover from it quickly, it could be attributed to them having access to a better health care system than the poor, but otherwise, this virus doesn’t care who it infects.
    Good news, bad news, more bad news :

1) No more need for attestations to say where and why you get out of your home. Thus, no need for me to cheat to go buy my comics in Paris by using the medical visit excuse.

2) But we're still under curfew, from 20.00 till 6 am. Which means that a) no irish dance class yet (they end at 20.00, which is too late for me, given that they take place at the other end of Paris), and b) I still need a paper to go to my job in the morning. Not that I needed one before, I haven't been stopped by the police yet.

3) Another of my colleagues has caught the disease. And as I worked with him yesterday, the chief has asked me if I had kept my mask on at all times while working with him, or if I kept my distance with him (answer : yes on both counts). Let's hope he gets better soon.

And of course, there's the fact that I can't make any plans for my spring vacations, given what had happened the last time. When will it be over ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    Good news, bad news, more bad news :

1) No more need for attestations to say where and why you get out of your home. Thus, no need for me to cheat to go buy my comics in Paris by using the medical visit excuse.

2) But we're still under curfew, from 20.00 till 6 am. Which means that a) no irish dance class yet (they end at 20.00, which is too late for me, given that they take place at the other end of Paris), and b) I still need a paper to go to my job in the morning. Not that I needed one before, I haven't been stopped by the police yet.

3) Another of my colleagues has caught the disease. And as I worked with him yesterday, the chief has asked me if I had kept my mask on at all times while working with him, or if I kept my distance with him (answer : yes on both counts). Let's hope he gets better soon.

And of course, there's the fact that I can't make any plans for my spring vacations, given what had happened the last time. When will it be over ?

Hopefully, this spring, if everybody goes to get their shots, it shouldn't last too long anymore. Sadly, we're in full lockdown, and our government is still trying to figure out how to distribute the vaccine, which means they'll start the vaccination in januari, instead of end of december.

The obvious intention of the original comment was that it doesn’t discriminate between rich and poor, powerful and powerless. It obviously is affected by the immune system and vulnerabilities of each person it infects. Does this really need to be explained?

Indeed, thank you, @NickTwentyTwo.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    If it doesn t [discriminate], why do some people die while others don t even notice they have it?
    I take your point. The virus targets old over young, and those with pre-existing conditions (includes heart conditions, kidney disease, being treated for cancer) over those that don't have them. Lifestyles and behaviors like smoking can be a factor. Minority groups and lower economic classes are harder hit in part due to where they live and work, and how accessible health care is.

Treatment for heavy effects of the virus is pretty standard and includes antiviral drugs, for breathing difficulties use of ventilators and medical oxygen.

i wonder how Trump beat the virus so quickly as well ?
    It's well known his doctor prescribed Hydroxychloroquine (a drug that's been around a long time) as a preventative measure. There is alternating agreement/disagreement whether it can be effective related to COVID-19. It doesn't seem to have hurt in this case.

I believe he also received the flu shot earlier in the year. That can potentially lessen effects of COVID-19 (though the flu is a different virus altogether). It also doesn't hurt that for his age he's in great physical condition and doesn't drink or smoke.

• It also doesn't hurt that for his age he's in great physical condition and doesn't drink or smoke.

"In great physical condition"? You must give me the number of your optometrist. He looks pretty well obese to me...
    He's in his 70s and he's been described that way. That's all.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 8,689
    I don't really believe that DT ever had it. If the White House told everybody so, it practically proves that it's a lie, given the statitistics. It was just a fake, a red herring or ruse to show his acolytes (not that they could spell this word) what a tough guy their Dear Leader was, and that the disease could be treated and nobody should be worried because there were these great medications against it, like hydroxychloroquine and intravenous Clorox and a MagLite up your rectum and all kinds of experimental drugs that aren't available to anybody besides the so-called President, or at least that nobody can afford.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If it doesn t [discriminate], why do some people die while others don t even notice they have it?
    I take your point. The virus targets old over young, and those with pre-existing conditions (includes heart conditions, kidney disease, being treated for cancer) over those that don't have them. Lifestyles and behaviors like smoking can be a factor. Minority groups and lower economic classes are harder hit in part due to where they live and work, and how accessible health care is.

Treatment for heavy effects of the virus is pretty standard and includes antiviral drugs, for breathing difficulties use of ventilators and medical oxygen.

i wonder how Trump beat the virus so quickly as well ?
    It's well known his doctor prescribed Hydroxychloroquine (a drug that's been around a long time) as a preventative measure. There is alternating agreement/disagreement whether it can be effective related to COVID-19. It doesn't seem to have hurt in this case.

I believe he also received the flu shot earlier in the year. That can potentially lessen effects of COVID-19 (though the flu is a different virus altogether). It also doesn't hurt that for his age he's in great physical condition and doesn't drink or smoke.

So much fake news here. Where to start? Sigh.
    Yeah, game over.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He's in his 70s and he's been described that way. That's all.

I've been described as an a-hole, yet I look like a regular full size human. (He won't get my point, will he?)