Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    I get my vaccine first dose in 2 days, its not about me; personally I am extremely fit and healthy. I do this to protect other people.

When I can get mine, I will be taking it for myself as well as for others. I cannot wait, to be frank.

Lets all hope a vaccine is a way out of all this and more importantly save lives.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    My wife is a frontline worker! Got her first vaccine two weeks ago..but now she has Covid. Apparently you are not in the clear until a week after your second jab!

My understanding is the first dose does offer some protection in that it can reduce symptoms though as you said not prevent infection, also the first dose takes 3 to 4 weeks for the anti bodies to start working.

My second dose is scheduled for early April.

Hope your wife is ok.

She's a lot better now, thanks, though still has a persistent cough!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,353
    I get my vaccine first dose in 2 days, its not about me; personally I am extremely fit and healthy. I do this to protect other people.

When I can get mine, I will be taking it for myself as well as for others. I cannot wait, to be frank.

Lets all hope a vaccine is a way out of all this and more importantly save lives.
    My wife is a frontline worker! Got her first vaccine two weeks ago..but now she has Covid. Apparently you are not in the clear until a week after your second jab!

My understanding is the first dose does offer some protection in that it can reduce symptoms though as you said not prevent infection, also the first dose takes 3 to 4 weeks for the anti bodies to start working.

Hope your wife is ok.

Are you a frontline worker too ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Hope your wife is ok.

Are you a frontline worker too ?

Yeah which I am happy about, I have kept working throughout the pandemic it's good to keep busy.
    I'm not a frontline worker, but am a Healthcare staff, working with Adults with Intellectual Disability. Day Services. We were redeployed, so have worked all through the Pandemic. Which I was glad about, as I agree, it was good to keep busy!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2021 Posts: 23,334
    I'm not a frontline worker, but am a Healthcare staff, working with Adults with Intellectual Disability. Day Services. We were redeployed, so have worked all through the Pandemic. Which I was glad about, as I agree, it was good to keep busy!

I have done as much over time as I can over the past year just to keep a good routine going, on leave at the moment which I was dreading though managed to find some things that needed doing to occupy my time, been training and walking every day. I have my own Gym room its been a blessing with regards to maintaining good mental and physical health and a positive attitude.

Have you had your first dose or I am guessing it will be very soon?

I have done as much over time as I can over the past year just to keep a good routine going, on leave at the moment which I was dreading though managed to find some things that needed doing to occupy my time, been training and walking every day. I have my own Gym room its been a blessing with regards to maintaining good mental and physical health and a positive attitude.

Have you had your first dose or I am guessing it will be very soon?

Havent had it yet. We've been told soon!
    We reopened Day Services on a much smaller scale back in September. So far we have not had any cases!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just saying that I profoundly respect the extra efforts of all frontline workers worldwide during this pandemic.

Thank you, guys!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Just saying that I profoundly respect the extra efforts of all frontline workers worldwide during this pandemic.

Thank you, guys!

hear hear!
    Cheers for the kind words, though like many jobs you are often adapting to various ongoing changes that's the way I have looked at the current situation.

Just had my first dose it was quite a surreal experience, thankfully there were a few people I know having a jab at the same time.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Cheers for the kind words, though like many jobs you are often adapting to various ongoing changes that's the way I have looked at the current situation.

Just had my first dose it was quite a surreal experience, thankfully there were a few people I know having a jab at the same time.

I'd be very happy to join you, but at the rate things are going over here I might not get mine before my pensioning age.

How long did they say the vaccine will last for ?
    Did they give you any other info about it ?

I'd be very happy to join you, but at the rate things are going over here I might not get mine before my pensioning age.

That does not sound good, where in the world are you if I you don't mind me asking.

I did my own research prior to the jab, and got most of the same info on the day. At this point the first jab just offers extra protection though I can still get Covid to a lesser degree the second jab which is a booster will give me a very high percentage of immunity. Its unclear if the jab will have to be taken again a year down the line at this point. I will still be tested weekly for the foreseeable future, after the second dose that would probably change I would think.

Isreal are slightly ahead in there vaccine program, I have been keeping a close eye on data coming from them...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9179677/amp/Israeli-healthcare-group-says-coronavirus-infections-plunged-vaccinated-60s.html

That does not sound good, where in the world are you if I you don't mind me asking.

I did my own research prior to the jab, and got most of the same info on the day. At this point the first jab just offers extra protection though I can still get Covid to a lesser degree the second jab which is a booster will give me a very high percentage of immunity. Its unclear if the jab will have to be taken again a year down the line at this point. I will still be tested weekly for the foreseeable future, after the second dose that would probably change I would think.

Isreal are slightly ahead in there vaccine program, I have been keeping a close eye on data coming from them...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9179677/amp/Israeli-healthcare-group-says-coronavirus-infections-plunged-vaccinated-60s.html

In that story it says: Teenagers aged 16-18 are now being given the first dose of the vaccine, starting on Saturday ...

You would think people with health problems would get it next instead of them ?

In that story it says: Teenagers aged 16-18 are now being given the first dose of the vaccine, starting on Saturday ...

You would think people with health problems would get it next instead of them ?
    This article was from yesterday...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I received my first shot of the Moderna vaccine on New Year's Eve; I experienced no side effects other than a very shore shoulder, the area of the injection. The second injection will be given this upcoming Thursday. I'm hearing that some have experienced greater side effects following the second dose; we shall see.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I received my first shot of the Moderna vaccine on New Year's Eve; I experienced no side effects other than a very shore shoulder, the area of the injection. The second injection will be given this upcoming Thursday. I'm hearing that some have experienced greater side effects following the second dose; we shall see.

I had a bit of pain on shoulder which has pretty much gone after 24 hours, I did feel a bit drowsy yesterday though did not get much sleep the night before the first jab so it was probably down to that. I had the Pfizer Vaccine.
    Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine approved for use by TGA in Australia ahead of rollout
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-25/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-approved-australia-tga/13087990

"The risks versus the benefits of the vaccination need to be considered,"

Norway reported some deaths among very old recipients of the vaccine last week.

The vaccine was designed to reduce the negative health impacts of COVID-19, but Dr Murphy warned that it was not clear yet whether the vaccine would reduce transmission rates.

"We don't yet know how effective they are at preventing the transmission of the virus," he said, though noted it "stands to reason" that vaccines will also reduce the spread.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine approved for use by TGA in Australia ahead of rollout
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-25/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-approved-australia-tga/13087990

"The risks versus the benefits of the vaccination need to be considered,"

Norway reported some deaths among very old recipients of the vaccine last week.

30 or 4o people died. The health authorities said it was as expected, since they were old and frail. Yet you don t hear them use that argument in relation to the virus.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I live in the Netherlands, and our current government is really as fast as a snail on softdrugs, it's increadable. They've already resigned because of a different affair they were way too slow to stop (wich was an affront, litterally ruining people's lives), and now they're the slowest in the western world. The thing is, my wife and I have immigration plans, but we need to do our research, which also means visiting the country, finding good places to live, etc. But we can't. We do have a curview now as well on our lockdown, but as said, with the current rate of vaccinations, it's going to take ages. To get an idea: they bought the vaccines early last year, like everybody else, but they failed to do something as simple as making a distribution plan until ealry this year, and now they're not even capable of tallying the amounts of vaccines given. They had thought the vaccines were supplied in smaller packages.
    yes, really. They didn't even bother to ask or come up with a backup plan.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I live in the Netherlands, and our current government is really as fast as a snail on softdrugs, it's increadable. They've already resigned because of a different affair they were way too slow to stop (wich was an affront, litterally ruining people's lives), and now they're the slowest in the western world. The thing is, my wife and I have immigration plans, but we need to do our research, which also means visiting the country, finding good places to live, etc. But we can't. We do have a curview now as well on our lockdown, but as said, with the current rate of vaccinations, it's going to take ages. To get an idea: they bought the vaccines early last year, like everybody else, but they failed to do something as simple as making a distribution plan until ealry this year, and now they're not even capable of tallying the amounts of vaccines given. They had thought the vaccines were supplied in smaller packages.
    yes, really. They didn't even bother to ask or come up with a backup plan.

That does sound very unprepared by your government, I am conscious of much wider implications of not taking the vaccine potentially in the future. Travel being one of the things that could have restriction if not vaccinated ( this has been discussed often in our media), it must be very frustrating for you and family.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This Hong Kong based firm expects a real boom this year.
    https://www.hansonrobotics.com/
    Today, bad surprise at the restaurant at work : they have decided to put only one person per table. Which means that, instead of having multiple tables put together for groups, they have separated the tables in such a way that only one person can sit at one table, away from the other tables (2 meters away). So, no more afterwork conversations, then. Won't help my morale, that's for sure.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Is that applied to family members of the same household? So unscientific.

In a similar vein, early in the pandemic a family playing catch at a park in this area of the country was harassed by a cop for not social distancing. The father was arrested after he protested they were a family that lived together.

• edited January 2021 Posts: 1,469
    Normally I'm not too concerned when I read that a star or celebrity has had the virus, since so many people around the world have gotten it. But I noticed in the news Colin Salmon has had it and had to be hospitalized for a time.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9204971/James-Bond-actor-Colin-Salmon-reveals-battled-COVID-19-hospital.html
    Johnson & Johnson seeks FDA emergency authorization for COVID-19 vaccine
    The FDA will meet Feb. 26 to discuss what Johnson & Johnson says is a 66% effective, single-dose vaccine for preventing COVID-19.
    https://www.cnet.com/health/johnson-johnson-seeks-fda-emergency-authorization-for-covid-19-vaccine/
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2021 Posts: 5,979
    I really don't understand opening restaurants specifically for Valentine's Day, or people having Super Bowl parties in the US this weekend. We are so close and the vaccines are being rolled out faster than before.

Everyone just needs to hang tight for a few more months (it's winter, folks!), and think about how the summer can be better with people and activities outside, etc. IF everyone takes precautions now.
    echo wrote: »
    I really don't understand opening restaurants specifically for Valentine's Day, or people having Super Bowl parties in the US this weekend. We are so close and the vaccines are being rolled out faster than before.

Everyone just needs to hang tight for a few more months (it's winter, folks!), and think about how the summer can be better than this with people outside, etc.

It feels very much like the comment one of my collegue-consultants once made. We were at a company training day and he said to me: 'It's odd, really. Our profession seems to be mostly just using common sense'
    And after a pause:
    "It's amazing that common sense is actually not that common".
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    echo wrote: »

Everyone just needs to hang tight for a few more months (it's winter, folks!), and think about how the summer can be better with people and activities outside, etc. IF everyone takes precautions now.

I fully agree, @echo. We'll have a vaccine in our system faster than ever before in the history of mankind. We're not asked for another 5 years--rather, we're asked for another 5 months or so. If we can't even achieve that, for the sake of public health, wow, then we really are at our most barbaric ever.