Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2021 Posts: 2,541
    Angela Merkel says that if there is a single unvaccinated person in the world, the pandemic will still rage.

How dumb does she think we are? Or is she really that dumb herself?

The latter.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Angela Merkel says that if there is a single unvaccinated person in the world, the pandemic will still rage.

Link?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    echo wrote: »

Link?

https://www.rt.com/news/516092-covid-vaccinating-whole-world-merkel/
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    She didn’t say it would “rage”, she said it would still be with us. I think this is true, isn’t it? Coronavirus is something we will have to deal with indefinitely because not everyone will get vaccinated. It will become like the seasonal flu; there will be vaccinations available for those who want it.

Thank you for oversensationalizing the article though! A very important service indeed. ;)
    She didn’t say it would “rage”, she said it would still be with us. I think this is true, isn’t it? Coronavirus is something we will have to deal with indefinitely because not everyone will get vaccinated. It will become like the seasonal flu; there will be vaccinations available for those who want it.

Thank you for oversensationalizing the article though! A very important service indeed. ;)

The virus does not equal the pandemic.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 7,526
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/rt-news/

Suddenly there's very little confidence that she said any of this at all. @Thunderfinger you continue to believe everything you read on the internet. You post links with absolutely no source auditing, and expect everyone here to believe the same garbage you do.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Some people will refuse the virus, most of them for all the wrong reasons. But it won't matter all that much if enough people have been vaccinated. The virus will find it much more difficult to spread. I only hope that the virus won't mutate into a type that our vaccines prove defenceless against.

And if too many people refuse the vaccine, which I doubt, they can still make it mandatory. I'd prefer if they didn't have to, but it mustn't be taboo either.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited February 2021 Posts: 2,354
    Pfizer should be made to sell the vaccine formula to other companies to speed up distribution because it's a pandemic and it will save many lives imo ???

Suddenly there's very little confidence that she said any of this at all. @Thunderfinger you continue to believe everything you read on the internet. You post links with absolutely no source auditing, and expect everyone here to believe the same garbage you do.

And yet you yourself absolutely trust the site you linked to. Why? Who finances it?

Of course RT is biased, and a propaganda tool. Same as all the others.

And yet you yourself absolutely trust the site you linked to. Why? Who finances it?

The site I linked to has fact-checkable information. It links to other sources, so you can invest the time to look into things yourself. Not the same as all the others. RT, and sites like it, just regurgitate non-information to fuel a political agenda. Not all sites are like this my friend.

The site I linked to has fact-checkable information. It links to other sources, so you can invest the time to look into things yourself. Not the same as all the others. RT, and sites like it, just regurgitate non-information to fuel a political agenda. Not all sites are like this my friend.

Maybe not all, but "fact checking" sites are usually heavily biased propaganda tools themselves. At least the ones I know of.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqknLY1B2VGrFsA38pkO_w5qzRQfcPG23RNg&usqp=CAU
    Define mainstream media? Is the website I linked just "mainstream media" because it doesn't say what you want it to say? And RT is not "mainstream media" because it has the "courage" to say that things occurred without any evidence that they occurred at all? @Thunderfinger if you're going to claim that mediabiasfactcheck.com is a "heavily biased propaganda tool", then you're going to have to provide some evidence to back that up. Despite what you may believe, you can't just say things and have them be true. Opinions aren't the same as knowledge, and they certainly are not equally valuable.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/about/

It tells you the specifics of the methodology used, as well as the specifics of their funding.
    Fair enough, at least that website is a little more open about it's sources.

It doesn't hurt to do a little auditing of the sources where you're getting your information. Ask more questions, don't just regurgitate everything you read.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    At the risk of supporting our anti-vaxxer segment to an extent for once, DER SPIEGEL reports the following (translation not mine, but deepl.com - on purpose to keep it neutral):

"The majority of the money pledged at the G7 summit is to go to the Covax international vaccination campaign. In addition to the fair distribution of vaccines, this will also involve the provision of Corona tests and medicines and the strengthening of health systems in poorer countries.

At the summit, German Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) spoke of an "elementary question of justice." The Corona pandemic will not be defeated "until everyone in the world has been vaccinated," she stressed."

In other words, she may have made that statement, but in the context of the major economies of the world allowing third-world countries to participate in the vaccination program. Insofar @NickTwentyTwo put it correctly in that the quote is over-sensationalized, as was to be expected coming from RT which is normally as credible as Fox News. There is no mention of the pandemic "raging", only that it won't be defeated if somebody is still not immune.

And yes, everybody should be vaccinated as soon as possible.

Yes she is wisest person on Earth. Funny, it took me 5 seconds to Google what she actually said without taking anything out of context. It wouldn't hurt if some people could do the same as they preach on others.

If asking others to audit their sources before accepting absolutely any nonsense as true is preaching on others, then I am truly done with this place. Please report.
    Don't worry i won't flag or censor other comments. Only coward's edit their comments and later resort to personal insults. Keep parroting the line of MSM like 12 year olds.
    Guys, please? No one needs to be banned here. Let's not get worked up over anything. I edited Nick's post myself so we can forget about this and move on. Thank you.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

There's a huge difference in stating 'everybody in the whole world' should be vaccinated, or 'the whole world' should be vaccinated. The latter, I think, everybody can agree on and it seems that's what Merkel said. She underlines the point by stating that she thinks Western (rich) countries should share their stock of vaccines. What's wrong with that?
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141867

All adults in the UK to be offered vaccination by 31st July.
    Define mainstream media? Is the website I linked just "mainstream media" because it doesn't say what you want it to say? And RT is not "mainstream media" because it has the "courage" to say that things occurred without any evidence that they occurred at all? @Thunderfinger if you're going to claim that mediabiasfactcheck.com is a "heavily biased propaganda tool", then you're going to have to provide some evidence to back that up. Despite what you may believe, you can't just say things and have them be true. Opinions aren't the same as knowledge, and they certainly are not equally valuable.

It tells you the specifics of the methodology used, as well as the specifics of their funding.

I see a guy and a few friends using subjective criteria in order to rate others credibility, based on how well their output alligns with whatever the official narrative is supposed to look like. I see they endorse a fake fact checker such as Snopes. I see that they work with Google, and that they are used by The Atlantic Counsil, a CIA/NATO organization. Sorry, perhaps these people mean well, but they are hardly a go-to source for finding out the truth about anything. I also see they use Wikipedia as a fact checking tool.

I see a guy and a few friends using subjective criteria in order to rate others credibility, based on how well their output alligns with whatever the official narrative is supposed to look like. I see they endorse a fake fact checker such as Snopes. I see that they work with Google, and that they are used by The Atlantic Counsil, a CIA/NATO organization. Sorry, perhaps these people mean well, but they are hardly a go-to source for finding out the truth about anything. I also see they use Wikipedia as a fact checking tool.

And with the many links you keep providing us to, how credible are they as a source? Where do you go for fact checks?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That's why you refer to Russian state media?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141867

All adults in the UK to be offered vaccination by 31st July.

Wow, that's very fast! :)>-

No, that isn t even where I read the quote. It was just the first that popped up when I was asked for a link. What does it matter if it is Russian or Western state media? What is it with you and your hatred for Russia?

No, that isn t even where I read the quote. It was just the first that popped up when I was asked for a link. What does it matter if it is Russian or Western state media? What is it with you and your hatred for Russia?

What is it with you and your hatred for the Western World?
    We live in strange times. Truth, evidence and information doesn't seem to matter anymore to some. Instead it's all about what you want to believe and you construct your own reality around that...
    jobo wrote: »
    We live in strange times. Truth, evidence and information doesn't seem to matter anymore to some. Instead it's all about what you want to believe and you construct your own reality around that...

Well said.