What is it with the youth today ?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Also highly recommended: Shakespeare in Love. Brilliantly acted, and very fine writing indeed.

My Favorite Year - great comedy, Oscar nominated performance by the incredible Peter O'Toole.

Witness - Harrison Ford in my favorite non Star Wars non Indy role. Really well paced and good story, etc.

Oh how I think this should be on another thread, but I just can't help going on and on. I love so many older films and am happy to recommend them.
    @4EverBonded I love To Live And Die In LA. Haven't seen Manhunter though.

Ah it is worth it. The young William Peterson is so cool. And a menacing villain/monster. This is the one before Silence of the Lambs, but same author. I know Peterson went on to big fame in CSI, but I do like his earlier work, too.
    If you are ever in the mood for something long and deep I recommend Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky. A brilliant low tech sci-fi film and one of my top ten movies of all time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    If you are ever in the mood for something long and deep I recommend Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky. A brilliant low tech sci-fi film and one of my top ten movies of all time.

hmmmm.... I watched Tarkovsky's 'Offret' a few weeks ago, and I didn't like the film. actually I turned it off after 90 minutes. I just didn't connect to the characters, the story and the atmosphere.
    Getafix wrote:

hmmmm.... I watched Tarkovsky's 'Offret' a few weeks ago, and I didn't like the film. actually I turned it off after 90 minutes. I just didn't connect to the characters, the story and the atmosphere.

I've never seen that one, but strongly recommend Stalker. You need to be in the right frame of mind but it is one of the visually most stunning films I've ever watched.
    @00Beast, you think movies from the 80s and 90s are old? :))

Not old as in fossilized and ancient, just older than the movies today, because they are. Perhaps I chose the wrong word, sorry about any confusion!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Classic films I love/recommend:
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Some Like It Hot
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    Niagara
    In A Lonely Place

Films I want/NEED to see:
    Network
    The Caine Mutiny
    The Hill
    The Big Lebowski
    Fargo
    Se7en
    Munich
    Citizen Kane
    Double Indemnity
    The Usual Suspects
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    Dark Passage
    The African Queen
    The Misfits
    The Prince and the Showgirl
    Asphalt Jungle
    The French Connection
    Psycho
    Notorious
    Rear Window

Let me join you on this quest. Tons of great films listed here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, @Creasy47, it will be a great journey. I just have to be in the mood for each of them. I need my Bogie fix so I may watch one of his tonight, but a good plethora of the films I am eager to see are Bogie and Hitchcock films. So many brilliant films to soon enjoy. I have always heard how great Network is, and after hearing Peter Finch's speech so many times I anticipate seeing the film. It is so utterly powerful, and the emotion and conviction in his eyes is astounding.
    Yes, @Creasy47, it will be a great journey. I just have to be in the mood for each of them. I need my Bogie fix so I may watch one of his tonight, but a good plethora of the films I am eager to see are Bogie and Hitchcock films. So many brilliant films to soon enjoy. I have always heard how great Network is, and after hearing Peter Finch's speech so many times I anticipate seeing the film. It is so utterly powerful, and the emotion and conviction in his eyes is astounding.

If that was my list, I would be completely overwhelmed on where to start. So many excellent choices. I want to sit down and watch a great film that I haven't seen in a while, but I'm not sure what. So many choices here, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

If that was my list, I would be completely overwhelmed on where to start. So many excellent choices. I want to sit down and watch a great film that I haven't seen in a while, but I'm not sure what. So many choices here, too.

What are your choices? How long has it been since you put in Munich? That's has to be a guaranteed good time for you.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I haven't seen Munich in 2 years.... I really must watch it again !

But first I have to finally discover the original Star Wars trilogy !!!
    Oh! I have to mention The Verdict with Paul Newman. God how I love Paul Newman, an amazing actor with such a huge variety of roles. This is such a good movie! He is a down and out lawyer who gets a chance to have a big case again and besides the interesting story of the lawsuit itself, there is also an abundance of: ethics, morals, character, overcoming a lifetime of being dragged down, doing the right thing if you can, etc.. Gritty, realistic yet encouraging - it just keeps layer after layer coming at you. Such good performances by all, including Charlotte Rampling.

Well I am speechless. You truly haven't ever seen the first 3, not even the very first original and amazing for its time Star Wars? I don't know where you live, but get yourself to a rental place now or get it online! The first is brilliant and the first 3 did so much to influence other movies, it is hard to underestimate their impact in our culture.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I watched Munich a few months back, which is quite upsetting for me, because I always have an excellent time when I watch it. It gets me angry, upset, happy, intrigued, nervous, all sorts of different feelings from tons of excellent scenes. I just might have to give it a watch tonight. I miss it.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694

Well I am speechless. You truly haven't ever seen the first 3, not even the very first original and amazing for its time Star Wars? I don't know where you live, but get yourself to a rental place now or get it online! The first is brilliant and the first 3 did so much to influence other movies, it is hard to underestimate their impact in our culture.

Like MR? Ha, I tease. I need to see the original trilogy all the way through, instead of all in bits and pieces. I am not a Star Wars fan, mind you, but as long as Yoda is there I'll watch. I love that little green bugger.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I watched Munich a few months back, which is quite upsetting for me, because I always have an excellent time when I watch it. It gets me angry, upset, happy, intrigued, nervous, all sorts of different feelings from tons of excellent scenes. I just might have to give it a watch tonight. I miss it.

It is weird when you love a film, yet it brings out strong emotions in you that are uncomfortable to express. This is like me and Toy Story 3, a film where as the credits roll I don't feel like a man. But I am fine with showing emotion when it comes to films, but like it best when I am alone with it and get a solo reaction without anyone surrounding me. I am eager to watch Munich, but I have to be in the right frame of mind, and want to feel ready for it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I agree entirely. There's a certain scene in Munich where I must hold my breath for ten or fifteen seconds straight, every time I see the film, even though I know exactly what happens. I'll admit, the movie makes me cry, as do others, like Blood Diamond and Man On Fire. When a film can bring out emotions in me like that, then it is truly spectacular in my book.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I agree entirely. There's a certain scene in Munich where I must hold my breath for ten or fifteen seconds straight, every time I see the film, even though I know exactly what happens. I'll admit, the movie makes me cry, as do others, like Blood Diamond and Man On Fire. When a film can bring out emotions in me like that, then it is truly spectacular in my book.

That's why movies are so dear to my heart. I read a book, something sad happens, and though I may feel a tear or two, I move on. I look at a painting evoking suffering, I say "wow", and move on. But when I see a film, and I am there with the characters, hoping for them, and watching them give it everything they have, and I get emotional. Just watching a musical montage of AFI's quotes gets me tearing up, and only films can make me react so palpably. I owe so much to films, and I wouldn't be the man I am today without them. They truly are capsules to other times, things we can always go to when we just want to see the faces of actors and actresses we love that have now passed on.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, wonderfully spoken. Films are a gigantic part of my life, and I, too, would not be who I am today without them. I cherish the classics and the films of today, and if I could only be left with one bit of technology for the rest of my life, it would be the beauty of film. It's a shame that some of the classics and favorites of the 30's-80's will never be seen by the youth of today, who only live in the 'right now.'

It's why the 30's and 40's gave us such classic drama and romantic films, because they had to work upon an excellent story, instead of action, CGI, the like.

Then throughout the 50's, 60's, and 70's, when action and horror movies started to appear more fluidly, we had great films such as 'Deliverance' that relied on a really creepy atmosphere and believability to scare the audience: yet again, no CGI, no jump scares every six seconds, and a time where horror films could still compete with the best of the best and take home Oscars.

And when the 80's arrived, followed by the 90's, we had some of the action greats starting up and continuing on: Steven Seagal's early films, the Die Hard series, The Terminator series, the Lethal Weapon series, etc., that are only seen by film connoisseurs, and thus, sadly, those who don't appreciate art, will never appreciate such great films that mean a lot to so many others.

Thanks for the motivation, I'll make sure to watch them very soon :)

Im gonna wash maself with a rag on a stick........
    Tracy wrote:

What??
    Tracy wrote:

Are you ... trying to mention a scene from a movie?? ... I am only guessing ... it would be kinda nice to hear what you are trying to say.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    homer-simpson-doh.gif?w=290
  • I'm fifteen years of age, and I have a large obsession with film media. Including 'oldies' and classics. Alfred Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick are two of my favourite film directors, with 'Rear Window', and '2001: A Space Odyssey' being among my favourites.
    I'm actually into amateur film making myself, being a film director at Ultimate Projects Productions, a small, amateur film production team that I founded about a year ago, and has since grown in size to YouTube and such.

I wouldn't say that my generation is 'messed up' or anything; sure we may not be a 'perfect' generation, and there are problems with some of us, but the majority of youth i know are a great and interesting bunch of young, individual, and talented people.

Yes, we use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Mobile phones (Cellphones) etc. on a regular basis, but that's just because of how our surrounding is throughout our bringing-up, and more modern ways of communicating etc. (and, yes, we do meet up to communicate aswell)

Sorry if I sound like a typical teenager of our times, but I just don't like how our generation seems to be stuck on this 'stereotypical' view of a bad example. There are many great, and insipring, youngsters my age around. You just have to see past the groups of idiots, known as 'chavs' / gangs in most areas of my age that appear every so often, and manage to fill the complete view on what our generation is.

Again, sorry for the row.
    Another prime example of ignorance in a world where information is at the fingertips:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rodney-king-dick-clark-titanic-real-death-major-110858944.html

Scroll down to the bit about Paul McCartney. IF YOU'RE BRAVE. :|
    Wow...unbelievable.
    What has today's youth come to ?

When I was 11 years old in 2002...
    So you are 22 years old?

Usually "what's wrong with young people today"-remarks come from very old people.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    so we cannot complain about our own age group ? @-)
    There's nothing wrong with the youth of today, like youngsters before them they get lumped together and treated like imbeciles and so act the part until they too grow up and continue to perpetuate the same myth when they get older.
    Another prime example of ignorance in a world where information is at the fingertips:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rodney-king-dick-clark-titanic-real-death-major-110858944.html

Scroll down to the bit about Paul McCartney. IF YOU'RE BRAVE. :|

Ignorance and stupidity is not solely owned by the youth. All generations have their rather large slice of afore mentioned character traits.

Ask me about teenage idols in movie, tv and music and you'll find my knowledge lacking. And while I enjoy history books there is a lot of it and I find that my knowledge on more than one occassion is lacking or limited.

On behaviour I can honestly not blame one particular generation. Having a shoppingtrolly smashed into my legs this weekend by a pensioner and being told rudely to get out of her way ensured my that bad behaviour comes in all ages.