What is it with the youth today ?

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited June 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 15,692
When I was in high-school, it seemed to be that a large portion of the students there were 'sick' with the typical modern decease : everything that pre-dates your birthyear is prehistoric.... that meant that for most people in my school, anything that predated the start of the 1990's was 'prehistoric' and 'dated'.

Whenever I go on Twitter, it seems there's frequently 'trending topics' about stuff like 'Twilight', 'Justin Bieber', and more recently 'One Direction'.

What has today's youth come to ?

When I was 11 years old in 2002, I didn't know any kid my age that had a cellphone. More recently it seems nearly every 11 year old kid has a cellphone.... now it seems most kids need a 'smartphone', which didn't exist 5 years ago ! and all these kids think that 'pre-smartphone' cellphones are dated.

I am glad to be part of Mi6community, where young members like 00Beast and 0Brady are fans of old movies and old music.

What are your thoughts ?
@0Brady @00Beast what is the state of young students in your area ? do they hate old* things for the most part ?

*old meaning pre 1990's.

I remember in 2008 when the first Twilight movie was in theaters..... every girl in my school talked about it. If you tried to talk about Stanley Kubric, Schindler's List, The Godfather or Taxi Driver, you were frowned upon, and were questioned with 'why are you bringing up old, dated movies in the conversation ?'

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'd agree with all this. It's why I went to college to study film, so I could enjoy education with people of similar mindset. The youth of today are what I like to call "the reality tv generation". In other words, easily pleased.
    Bring back the old days of zx spectrums, phones with cords, music tapes and Miami vice jackets.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    @DaltonCraig007 You're dating yourself there kiddo ;-)

It's funny to me to hear "pre-1990". I was 9 years old then. I think it's different now. Everything is about nostalgia and re-booting every franchise possible. In 1990 as a kid, the biggest thing around were The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And guesswhat, not only did they remake a movie in 2007, but none other than Michael "box-office millionaire" Bay is planning a reboot.

The internet has made EVERYTHING available. Every tv show, movie, old clip you could possibly want is at your finger tips. I find a lot of the "youths" today actually like a lot of the things from the past. 00Beast is a good example, because I know he likes a lot of classic rock and Bond for that matter.

So I think we are in a good place, because a lot of the youths today embrace music, movies, tv shows from the past, because they are easily accessible. They can compare what's on now, to what was in the past, and see that a lot of what's out there now is rubbish.

What I don't like is how there is very little originality anymore in what is being produced.
  • You're so funny DC007 - I had the same comments aimed at our pre - 1990s generation. 'What is with you...raving, accccccceeeeeeeed, quiffs, biker jackets (even though we caught the bus), 501's etc.'

But then again - we said please and thank you, didn't pull a knife out on any one, didn't spit every where, didn't say MF OR FCUK every other word...

We have a generation of ferral children and I'd gladly shoot the parents who allowed their children to live without boundaries or decency.
    The problem with the youth of today is that they are the old codgers of tomorrow.

Youth is wasted on the young!
    I was born in 74! Great memories of growing up in the eighties and school! It was all Commodore 64 V Spectrum! Or Atari and ZX 84! lol!

Best bit was growing up in a neighbourhood where all the kids hung out and played all the sports you can think of depending on time of year.......etc. Today sadly alot of that has been lost!

Kids don't get out and exercise as much as they should now, or as we called it? Having fun! Now they are stuck in front of a screen! Whether its a tv, pc, ipad, smart phone.....etc. Bombarded by how you should look or what you should or shouldn't do! Glad i was born when i was! Cheers mum and dad! :-bd
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I'd agree. Only 15 but I hate mostly everything that these if I may "bandwagons" enjoy. These people have Apple products, TVs, and Laptops and what do I have? This website and I love this and all the members.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 816
    I'm from '94, so I'll consider myself a 90's kid. But I grew up with the James Bond films, a Nintendo 64, a slow computer, and 80's classic rock music (Toto and Bryan Adams for instance), I didn't have a mobile phone 'til first grade ('06) and that's the same year I got my first Mp3 player.

We weren't poor, and if i'd wanted a mobile phone, or a modern game station or whatever, maybe I could have gotten it, but for some reason I really wasn't aware of any of those until 1st grade. I don't know why, but all I really knew where movies, and even there I prefered movies from the 80's and 90's.

My sister grew up under the same roof, but for some reason she was a lot more susceptible for the latest 'trends' and she still is! (she's now running around with an Iphone, while I'm still perfectly happy with my 2008 Quantum of Solace Sony Ericsson)
    I'd agree. Only 15 but I hate mostly everything that these if I may "bandwagons" enjoy. These people have Apple products, TVs, and Laptops and what do I have? This website and I love this and all the members.

That's a very generous thing to say to this bunch of bickering old misanthropes!

I agree tho. Glad I was born when I was before technology took over. Even my uni days were largely tech-free. No mobiles, a little email and that was it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    it's amazing how society changes - when I started school in the mid-90's, no one my age had cellphones. in 2012 it seems all the kid have cellphones, have a personal computer, have an iPod, have a facebook account.....
    We are entering the dystopian future that we glimpsed in 70s and 80s sci-fi.

The age of drone warfare is already upon us.
    I'm older than most on MI6, no disrespect or anything, but it's for sure that times have changed that I remember, possibly for the worst, there was little to do in the neighborhood I grew up in, we had to make our own entertainment, there was no computers, or damn facebook or latest technologies etc, a lot of kids today don't know they're damn well born. All some kids know today is how to come up with more elaborate profanities and unable to hold a coherent conversation, and more often than not, courtesy and manners go right out the window

Not to tar everyone with the same brush as it's only a percentage, there are a fair number of kids out there who are well presented and you can have a conversation without fear of being unfairly abused, but it seems these are becoming more infrequent by each passing year

People mention all the latest stuff available today as in DC's above post, well I had none of that, kids today would find it an unmitigated struggle to have grown up when I did with what was available at the time, it's all taken for granted these days, these people don't know what it was like going back far enough, or don't even care would be better, but there you are

:-<
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's nice reading people's thoughts on this issue. Things are so different now for today's children at school compared to even when I was in school. Kids are actually taught through computers - when I was there age we were lucky to even have one per classroom, except for ICT. Are teaching giving us these days or is this just how we progress in society.

Yes, everyone may have a smartphone, but I don't own one, even now. I have no need. Well, no yet anyway, so why buy one?

Rant over - I think.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's nice reading people's thoughts on this issue. Things are so different now for today's children at school compared to even when I was in school. Kids are actually taught through computers - when I was there age we were lucky to even have one per classroom, except for ICT. Are teaching giving us these days or is this just how we progress in society.

Yes, everyone may have a smartphone, but I don't own one, even now. I have no need. Well, no yet anyway, so why buy one?

Rant over - I think.

You had one computer per class?! You were lucky! We had one computer per school in my day, and access was strictly rationed. If you were lucky you might be able to play Snake on it! Or that Tennis game!

Those were really tough times!
    I'm older than most on MI6, no disrespect or anything, but it's for sure that times have changed that I remember, possibly for the worst, there was little to do in the neighborhood I grew up in, we had to make our own entertainment, there was no computers, or damn facebook or latest technologies etc, a lot of kids today don't know they're damn well born. All some kids know today is how to come up with more elaborate profanities and unable to hold a coherent conversation, and more often than not, courtesy and manners go right out the window

Not to tar everyone with the same brush as it's only a percentage, there are a fair number of kids out there who are well presented and you can have a conversation without fear of being unfairly abused, but it seems these are becoming more infrequent by each passing year

People mention all the latest stuff available today as in DC's above post, well I had none of that, kids today would find it an unmitigated struggle to have grown up when I did with what was available at the time, it's all taken for granted these days, these people don't know what it was like going back far enough, or don't even care would be better, but there you are

:-<

Did you mean this to sound so hillarious?

This is what every generation says about every next generation, throughout history!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,692
    Getafix wrote:
    You had one computer per class?! You were lucky! We had one computer per school in my day, and access was strictly rationed. If you were lucky you might be able to play Snake on it! Or that Tennis game!

when were you in school, if I may ask ?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,630
    I salute you all because I was born 20 years too late :-O

Now we have computers but they are scarce and in labs...
    Getafix wrote:

when were you in school, if I may ask ?

A long time ago, in the happier times before the dark lord Brosnan's evil reign cast a dark shadow across Bondland.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, @DC007. I appreciate the mention more than you could ever know. I am an 18 year old who has felt like an outcast most of my life, whether it is due to my own private personality or my love of classic music, film, etc. My age bracket is obsessed with Facebook and Twitter, things I refuse to have accounts on, and dictate their relationships from them. I get sick in the stomach when I hear people my age saying that they are "Facebook official" with their significant other, and until they are "Facebook official", they are simply "seeing" each other. Seriously? This is why I do not engage in relationships. Not only do I believe that kids my age can't understand something as complex as love, but I don't want to be involved in a romantic relationship run by social networking. I don't like drama, and I am a very up front person who will tell you how it is, so I don't fit in there either amongst a sea of facades and backstabbing. Kids my age are controlled by their phones, and you'd be hard pressed to have an intelligent argument with any of them since they are always staring at the screen. In class, there they are, ignoring the education set before them. My best friend is just like me. He loves classic black and white films, and classic music. We have a maturity of thought and a thirst for knowledge lost in our generation, and I hate to see what is going to happen to our country when I generation takes hold of the work force. I can always talk to him when I am in need of an adult conversation, and I will miss him terribly when we go our separate ways in college. I am a young adult in a quest for a time machine, wanting so badly to leave the present for a better past. I feel almost alone in my age group, and feel no ambition stepping into a future that will have an increase in overall stupidity and ignorance across the public. Forget tweeting and texting. Give me tickets to a club with a seat in between Bogie, Lauren, and Marilyn, with Frank crooning on the stage in a medley next to Dean and Sammy, and I will finally feel like I have a place in this world.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Rant over - I think.

It shows again, just how quickly times change, I guess. Of course, we may of had one computer per class, if that, but you were never allowed on them during lesson time.
    Wow, @DC007. I appreciate the mention more than you could ever know. I am an 18 year old who has felt like an outcast most of my life, whether it is due to my own private personality or my love of classic music, film, etc. My age bracket is obsessed with Facebook and Twitter, things I refuse to have accounts on, and dictate their relationships from them. I get sick in the stomach when I hear people my age saying that they are "Facebook official" with their significant other, and until they are "Facebook official", they are simply "seeing" each other. Seriously? This is why I do not engage in relationships. Not only do I believe that kids my age can't understand something as complex as love, but I don't want to be involved in a romantic relationship run by social networking. I don't like drama, and I am a very up front person who will tell you how it is, so I don't fit in there either amongst a sea of facades and backstabbing. Kids my age are controlled by their phones, and you'd be hard pressed to have an intelligent argument with any of them since they are always staring at the screen. In class, there they are, ignoring the education set before them. My best friend is just like me. He loves classic black and white films, and classic music. We have a maturity of thought and a thirst for knowledge lost in our generation, and I hate to see what is going to happen to our country when I generation takes hold of the work force. I can always talk to him when I am in need of an adult conversation, and I will miss him terribly when we go our separate ways in college. I am a young adult in a quest for a time machine, wanting so badly to leave the present for a better past. I feel almost alone in my age group, and feel no ambition stepping into a future that will have an increase in overall stupidity and ignorance across the public. Forget tweeting and texting. Give me tickets to a club with a seat in between Bogie, Lauren, and Marilyn, with Frank crooning on the stage in a medley next to Dean and Sammy, and I will finally feel like I have a place in this world.

Many people have felt like this with each changing era but you should not let all this technology nonsense get in the way of you having normal relationships!

Have you watched Midnight In Paris by Woody Allen? I think you would like it and it has a great message at the end!
    Seems we can't win really

The younger generation complain about the Older generation

The older generation complain about the Younger generation

and all the middle aged guys do is duck and keep out of the way etc

I have to go with (one of the above) post also, that I just divorce myself from any social networking trash, I could never do anything like that, I guess all some kids have to do is sit in front of a screen for 16 hours a day, alerting 'pals' about their boring, mundane day to day 'activities', which essentially - is nothing much at all

I sincerely applaud anyone else who decides to stay clear of such things, never been one for it, maybe things took a turn for the worse with the introduction of these damn things five or six years ago, but if that's what they want to do with their lives, fair enough really. Not really one for modern technologies all said, it's nothing how I remember it, maybe I miss the past sometimes, I don't know
    Jeez, I do not remember having a single computer on my highschool, computers were Star Trek territoria. When I was graduating from college I do recall having my papers/scription made on the computer by younger folks who were computersavy. I finaly learned working with computers having WP but was greatly relieved when Word arrived.

I grew up in the age of libraries, music on LP or cassete tape, tv started around 17.00 hours and ended 0.00 (except on saturday and wednesday). Spend most of my youth in the woods around the village I grew up building huts and stuff. Spend whole summers with my friends at the local swimmingpool.

I do have a smartphone these days, but am glad with my daugthers that they can help me when I have a problem with it. I generally forget the damned thing at home when I am out. I still like going out and be NOT available.

Prefer my movies from the '30 - '50's. While I can be in awe with CGI they made moviemaking too easy. I still enjoy the fear of watching Alien, that bugger still makes me jump in that first movie. Rather watch a Astaire/rogers movie, discuss the merits of Astaire vs Gene Kelly, love those B- dectective movies (The Saint, the Falcon, Charlie Chan, and such).

WHen I look at the stuff my kids are already expose to I do clearly remember my youth to be a much simpler and easier place. They already get tested in kindergarten, they have to work a computer from early on. The amount of information they get exposed to is mindnumbing when compared to my youth.

I am glad I come from perhaps simpeler times.

But to blame the youth these days is a bit daft, they populate the world their previous generations created. An overpopulated society that is aimed at achieving material fullfilment and to be the best. ANd if you are not you are considered a loser. I can see what kind of burden that lays on each new generation.
    I understand the sentiments of how "this younger generation is obsessed with their facebook, smartphones, video-games, etc." It is distracting.

But isn't this the kettle calling the pot black? Let's be real, <b>how many hours have we all logged on here at Mi6 Community??</b>

I say to each his own. Live and let live. We all have our individual interests, and that's ok. The past generation is always going to frown upon the "reckless, ferale" younger generation, and has done so for ages. Nothing new.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here at MI6 there is engaging conversation and debate. I think a lot when I come here. On Facebook, how much thinking do you think is required to update your status with a daft smily face, or to tweet that you just ate a sandwich? This forum and Facebook/Twitter are not to be compared, on any scale.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I was born in 74! Great memories of growing up in the eighties and school! It was all Commodore 64 V Spectrum! Or Atari and ZX 84! lol!

Best bit was growing up in a neighbourhood where all the kids hung out and played all the sports you can think of depending on time of year.......etc. Today sadly alot of that has been lost!

Kids don't get out and exercise as much as they should now, or as we called it? Having fun! Now they are stuck in front of a screen! Whether its a tv, pc, ipad, smart phone.....etc. Bombarded by how you should look or what you should or shouldn't do! Glad i was born when i was! Cheers mum and dad! :-bd

Hey RogueAgent I was also born in 74. Many thanks for sharing memories I can relate to. My first family computer was the Commodore Vic 20! My son is just over a year old and already has learnt how to use the TV remote control. He also keeps stealing my mobile phone and it will only be a matter of time before he's worked out how to use it! Very scary. Also I think it is great that there are so many young members on here as well as older and the youth of today is in safe hands with the well informed, educated opinions of young Bond fans!
    I agree with you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the level of discourse on this forum is certainly deep, civil and intelligent. I'm speaking more to the argument that the youth of yesterday were out playing games in the sunshine, where today kids are hooked to their mobile devices. To that I say, Mi6 like any other product of technology, can be just as much of a vice as any other. We can't make a holier-than-thou argument. There is a huge number of people who use facebook: some are extremely bright, others are pretty dim-witted, just like any cross-section of any group: that includes past, present, here, there, wherever. There are always going to be smart, insightful folks, and there are always going to be idiots. Always has been, always will.
    Well said Brady, I think you've summed it up pretty well

It's not always one way traffic on MI6 as you have described, a few recently closed threads have been a testament to that, but for sure, most of the time there is intelligent debate etc with some articulate participants, always good to see

I never understood Twitter, load of damn nonsense I always felt, who cares if a Mrs Smith in Connecticut has cleared out her attic or done a bit of gardening etc 8-|

NOT INTERESTED !

There's a few younger members here such as yourself and Beast for example, who are highly articulate for such a young age and present comprehensive and well constructed arguements etc, it's quite pleasing actually, as I know there's more of you out there etc
    You offer good points @JBFan626.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't stand Facebook in the slightest, but it's used by a large number of people, and a good portion of those people log into the site constantly - as I do here. Granted, as @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 stated, the usage of that site cannot be compared to how we interact on here - though sometimes, it would be nice if the 'Activity' section was viewed more by users - yet it is another bit of technology, so I can't dog those who love FB like I love this site.

Technology is a huge help, yet it can be a burden at times. I do wish there were days that no computers, phones, etc. existed, so we all had to speak to one another via face-to-face interaction. I actually did a paper about this in college, and documented my way through a few days of attempting this, and noticed I found myself talking to more girls, reacting more in class, approaching my professors with more questions and concerns, and even going over to my friend's dorm rooms - some which I had never even seen - for the first time, or more.