What is it with the youth today ?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    If I was giving career advice to youths in Britain my rhetoric would be simple. Not everyone can be a rapper.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 7,571
    Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's nice reading people's thoughts on this issue. Things are so different now for today's children at school compared to even when I was in school. Kids are actually taught through computers - when I was there age we were lucky to even have one per classroom, except for ICT. Are teaching giving us these days or is this just how we progress in society.

Yes, everyone may have a smartphone, but I don't own one, even now. I have no need. Well, no yet anyway, so why buy one?

Rant over - I think.

You had one computer per class?! You were lucky! We had one computer per school in my day, and access was strictly rationed. If you were lucky you might be able to play Snake on it! Or that Tennis game!

Those were really tough times!

What? One computer in the school? Luxury!

We had an abacus and we had to fight each other to get it!
    NicNac wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's nice reading people's thoughts on this issue. Things are so different now for today's children at school compared to even when I was in school. Kids are actually taught through computers - when I was there age we were lucky to even have one per classroom, except for ICT. Are teaching giving us these days or is this just how we progress in society.

Yes, everyone may have a smartphone, but I don't own one, even now. I have no need. Well, no yet anyway, so why buy one?

Rant over - I think.

You had one computer per class?! You were lucky! We had one computer per school in my day, and access was strictly rationed. If you were lucky you might be able to play Snake on it! Or that Tennis game!

Those were really tough times!

What? One computer in the school? Luxury!

We had an abacus and we had to fight each other to get it!

An abacus?! That's when the rot set in! When my dad was at school classes were taught on the side of a rock in a cave. That was a childhood!
    Everything is so immediate these days, when I was a kid I got bought a NES for Christmas when the SNES had just come out, that would be unthinkable to kids now, having outdated presents!
    Also, films always took ages to come out on video or TV, the movie premieres on TV were always at least five years old, so I grew up watching films with Steve Martin, John Candy, Bill Murray etc which were already a few years old, and likewise the new releases at the video shop had been in the cinema about 4 years prior, now the DVD comes out within four months. Kids don't need to wait for anything anymore!

I'm pretty sure I saw the first UK TV showing of AVTAK and I think that was about 5 years after it came out!

• edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    We are entering the dystopian future

Does that mean this guy will show up?

Vendetta.jpg

Anyway, kids today have too much. They have iphones, xbox's, their own PCs. When I was a kid the carehome I was in didn't even have a TV that worked for years, I was happy getting a football for christmas. When I was a teenager I was amazed by the n64.
    People weren't exactly saints in the old days either , doing stuff while stoned outta their minds.

Back in the earlys 90s there were 2000 murders in NY , now it's down to 400.....not everything was peachy then ;)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,645
    "When I was a kid in the 70s my father, a very conservative and unhappy man, taught me that the world was perfect until the godless hippies came along and ruined everything"

Red Foreman anyone ?

*chuckles*

Adam West said he should've invested in color TVs back then as they were selling like hot cakes due to Batman and other show being in color.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @00Beast, you think movies from the 80s and 90s are old? :))

For many kids today, movies predating the 1990's are very old. within a few years, the original Die Hard will be considered prehistoric... shame because it still is miles better than most action films today.

That's sad. "Old" movies are films in black and white, specifically silent films up through the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I don't call movies "old", I call them classic films. Old just sounds too derogatory a word for describing something I love so much.

For many kids today, movies predating the 1990's are very old. within a few years, the original Die Hard will be considered prehistoric... shame because it still is miles better than most action films today.

That's sad. "Old" movies are films in black and white, specifically silent films up through the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I don't call movies "old", I call them classic films. Old just sounds too derogatory a word for describing something I love so much.

I feel the 1970's was the last truly "classic" era of film-making. You had Scorcese, Coppola, Kubrick, Altman, Spielberg as the new generation of directors in their prime, and arguably the last great visionary group of directors.

Sure there have been good films made in the 80's, 90's,00's and in this decade. But film-making was classic in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and a lot of the 70's. I think it ended there. That's when all the old original studio owners started to pass on, and multi-national corporations starting to buy up the studios. Now companies like Time-Warner and Viacom basically own and run the film industry. Film as art, isn't what it was.
    JBFan626 wrote:

I feel the 1970's was the last truly "classic" era of film-making. You had Scorcese, Coppola, Kubrick, Altman, Spielberg as the new generation of directors in their prime, and arguably the last great visionary group of directors.

Sure there have been good films made in the 80's, 90's,00's and in this decade. But film-making was classic in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and a lot of the 70's. I think it ended there. That's when all the old original studio owners started to pass on, and multi-national corporations starting to buy up the studios. Now companies like Time-Warner and Viacom basically own and run the film industry. Film as art, isn't what it was.

Up to a point this is true. But if you look at European cinema it remained strong through the 80s, 90s etc. There are still plenty of good films and film-makers out there, but they are not working for the major studios as a general rule. In the UK we have some excellent directors like Ken Loach and Mike Leigh whose films get barely any attention in their home country even though they are highly respected and regarded on the continent. Equally, there are European directors like Michael Haneke who are (IMO) producing films now to rival anything produced during any earlier period.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was born in 1991, and I think 'old' films are films dating back to the days of Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc. It is crazy, though, how time flies by, and now the 80's were thirty years ago, as compared to, say, the original Die Hard coming out a few years before I was born.

Well, I think 80s movies are old. Doesn't make them bad though, in any way. Still better than half the films released today.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Well, I think 80s movies are old. Doesn't make them bad though, in any way. Still better than half the films released today.

That's only a 20/30 year gap. You all need to watch some classic black and white films. Best films out there.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So ... thelivingroyale (and everyone else), have you watched To Live and Die in L.A.? or Manhunter? (80's flicks I think you all might like). From way back in the 50's, I recommend: Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum - and in the early 60's, The Sundowners with Mitchum and Deborah Kerr.
    Well, this should be on another thread ... I will try to find it. (fav old movie recommendations) ...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,454
    Child tv whas better in the 90's. Then iam talk about series who already be created in the 80's or in the 60-70's. There exeptions who already be created in the 40 or 50's like Snowwhite.

MacGyver is only repeat one's after it finished in 1992-1999 is when i saw it.

If you be born in 1999 you mabey know who The Simpsons, The A-team and Knight Rider be. But how much people known Airwolf and my self realynot remember much of the The Incredible Hulk.

Some movies look old, but that's why some of them are good. A lack of some experience of Brosnan with Goldeneye make GE one of my favorite movies. The experience have with Twine feels good for Twine, but possible i have liked GE les if he already got with his first movie.

The power of fames living people is big. With living i mean not only there stil be us but also in making movie's. On the old forums we got a simalar thread and i remember i said something about Sean Connery and Gary Grant.

Grew up with N8 (Mario and the blue men.) and N64 (Mario/Goldeneye), Sega 16 Bit (Sonic).

In the past your parents or parents & the goverment whant that you go to play outside, those days there do almoost everthing to stop that or on a lower level with people older then 12. And it not end there, closing musea, removing places for your bike or there remove your bike whyle you stil yuse it whyle not thinking about the idea to remove un needed traffic lights for bikes and high prices if you have car. Removing places for your bike is something for the major we have who also not like it if other people have fun.

@4EverBonded I love To Live And Die In LA. Haven't seen Manhunter though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've been meaning to see 'older' films like Dog Day Afternoon, Network, 12 Angry Men..... I really must watch these films someday.
    I've been meaning to see 'older' films like Dog Day Afternoon, Network, 12 Angry Men..... I really must watch these films someday.

Or how about Chinatown, Nashville, or Lawrence of Arabia?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    JBFan626 wrote:

Chinatown is also on my watchlist. Lawrence of Arabia has a long runtime, so I really have to get 'in the mood' of watching it. what's Nashville about ?

@DaltonCraig007, I understand about the long runtime. I went to watch the German miniseries 'Berlin Alexanderplatz' one time, but, being a miniseries, along with my (at the time) mood, I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.
  • Tracy wrote:
    "When I was a kid in the 70s my father, a very conservative and unhappy man, taught me that the world was perfect until the godless hippies came along and ruined everything"

Red Foreman anyone ?

*chuckles*

Adam West said he should've invested in color TVs back then as they were selling like hot cakes due to Batman and other show being in color.

=)) That's great! I wonder what LFH thinks of that comparison.

Other than my mother always trying to scare me as a kid that the "yippies" (militant hippies) would get me if I kept hanging out with a kid whose parents were hippies (9 when I started doing that and it didn't work lol), I'm glad to say that my father wasn't too much like what the Lord describes. Not that he wasn't a bit racist when he heard minorities acting up, but he'd at least try to judge a person based on qualities other than race or religion. His father was from Texas, needless to say he didn't like certain races and used to constantly complain how lazy the blacks who worked for him were, although I can remember the few he did like were treated with respect. My mother's father though was the ultimate piece of work, Mom always used to say Archie Bunker had nothing on Grandpa, who hated everybody but WASP's, he wouldn't even let my Mom date an Italian and had a fit when she dated someone Jewish. Even worse for my Aunt when she got knocked up by her HS boyfriend, who happened to be black. He refused to acknowledge my cousin Jeff as his grandson, let alone allow him into the house even when he was a baby. He would have made an ideal Nazi, sorry to say.

Where I grew up (Media, PA), we had black families who had lived in town for generations. One of them recently joined this Forum and is like a brother to me to this day. Any of my friends of other races and religions are always welcomed in my life with affection and respect for who they are on the inside. Except for one racist black girl who moved out to our area from Philly (my black friends were embarrassed by how she acted), we all knew each other since we were little and hung out as equals. I never liked racism of any form and will always react negatively to anyone who is like that, whether it be the KKK or the Nation Of Islam. It's BS, people are people and Dr. King was right that your content of character is what truly matters.

Creasy47 wrote:
    @DaltonCraig007, I understand about the long runtime. I went to watch the German miniseries 'Berlin Alexanderplatz' one time, but, being a miniseries, along with my (at the time) mood, I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Yes, there are so many 'older' films that I really need to watch, but I must get in the mood first.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    JBFan626 wrote:

Chinatown is also on my watchlist. Lawrence of Arabia has a long runtime, so I really have to get 'in the mood' of watching it. what's Nashville about ?

Nashville is a film by the great Robert Altman, probably his best film. It's basically an ensemble story of all these characters and their experiences in the Nashville country music scene and how they are intertwined. You don't have to like country music to enjoy the movie. It deals with the issues of fame, life as a musician, family, idolatry. Lots of great scenes, almost feels like a documentary. Altman has a great sense of style. It's one of my favorities.

If you haven't seen any Altman, I also recommend MASH, The Player, or The Long Goodbye. Gosford Park is interesting but a little dry for my taste.

But you'll be in for a treat with Chinatown if you have any liking of Film Noire.

Seen much Hitchcock? North by Northwest is required viewing for any Bond fan as far as I'm concerned.

@DaltonCraig007, exactly. Even some of my favorite films, with a near three-hour runtime, might be overlooked for quite some time until I find myself in the proper mood - and time - to sit down and watch them. But, when you do, it's always worth it.

I heard for years about how Citizen Kane was praised as being one of the best films ever made, and I finally took the time to rent it, watch it, and absolutely love it. Truly one of the best.
    @JBFan626 I really loved Gosford Park. Thanks for the suggestions though - I am looking forward to discover other Altman films :)
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    All I will say is...look at the trash music they are influenced by. That is why most kids act the way they do......If we didn't have this hood rat rap stuff on the radios..things might be different. Today's artists claim to have talent....give me a break.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Classic films I love/recommend:
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Some Like It Hot
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    Niagara
    In A Lonely Place

Films I want/NEED to see:
    Network
    The Caine Mutiny
    The Hill
    The Big Lebowski
    Fargo
    Se7en
    Munich
    Citizen Kane
    Double Indemnity
    The Usual Suspects
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    Dark Passage
    The African Queen
    The Misfits
    The Prince and the Showgirl
    Asphalt Jungle
    The French Connection
    Psycho
    Notorious
    Rear Window
    All I will say is...look at the trash music they are influenced by. That is why most kids act the way they do......If we didn't have this hood rat rap stuff on the radios..things might be different. Today's artists claim to have talent....give me a break.

There are tons of artists in this current time that are talented, let's not generalize.
    You have not seen Lebowski? Oh wow. Go see that one tonight!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon

There are tons of artists in this current time that are talented, let's not generalize.

I will generalize because of this so called mtv generation. All the mtv awards programs show nothing but hip hop and rap artists. Like Kanye West for example/...are you serious?