What is it with the youth today ?

Comments

• tqbtqb
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    You had one computer per class?! You were lucky! We had one computer per school in my day, and access was strictly rationed. If you were lucky you might be able to play Snake on it! Or that Tennis game!

Those were really tough times!

when were you in school, if I may ask ?

A long time ago, in the happier times before the dark lord Brosnan's evil reign cast a dark shadow across Bondland.

=))

1991? Jesus, I was backpacking across South East Asia in 1991. Spending £5 on beach huts on Ko Samui where there are five star resorts nowadays.

I know it is easy to say things are better today because of technology. There is far more job insecurity nowadays, far more unemployment, far more abuses in the workplace.

So I am not convinced things are better nowadays at all.
    What I'd like to know is what happened to all the flying cars, self service bars, hoverboards etc they had in Back to the Future II that depicted our way of life in 2015, anyone seen any flying cars about or hover boards in production as a means of travel in a couple of years etc ? :-??

What I'd like to know is what happened to all the flying cars, self service bars, hoverboards etc they had in Back to the Future II that depicted our way of life in 2015, anyone seen any flying cars about or hover boards in production as a means of travel in a couple of years etc ? :-??

And the mini-pizza's that hydrate into full size in a matter of seconds...

And when are the Cubbies going to start winning the World Series!?!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This is an interesting thread, and I will post a little more later.
    Suffice to say I am one of the oldest (maybe oldest, I do not know) members here. I am a child of the (get ready to gasp) 1960's. Yes. I was just a tad too young for Woodstock, but my heart and soul is of that time. A rock and roll girl, I still have long hair and love the Beatles and Stones as well as Coldplay. But I was always a bookworm and loved old films (ha! for me that means reaching back to the black and white era). Still am and do.

Our generation for sure saw many changes, some radical - in culture, attitudes, eyes open finally about politics, the environment, etc. (a really looooong list) - but I know this: Every generation faces change, makes change, watches things happen, makes things happen, are trying to find their own way in the world, wants to make a difference and sometimes do makes great differences in our world.
    Keeping a balance in life, ah there's the trick! Technology can be a great and beneficial. But not to be sucked into the maelstrom of being locked into that only; that takes clear thinking and some strength at times, I think.

So be tech savvy and use it to your benefit, but get out and experience the world - hike, bike, join friends at a pub, explore museums, touch the moss growing in the woods, listen to the birds, make a friend, be a friend, have a relationship, spread kindness, do your best in life, stretch yourself, dream big dreams, reach for the higher rung on that ladder . Anything that is all one sided is not really healthy, and you are robbing yourself of a fuller, more meaningful life.
    Yeah, I really believe that.

Okay enough for now. I'll finish with two quotes that just came to mind:
    "Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death." Auntie Mame (the book and movie)

"And in the end, the love you take ... is equal to the love you make." Paul McCartney

well, we have skype. That I always put down to Star Trek and I am continually impressed with what my iphone can do. Because I am of the generation with the big clunky post office phones. Which I strangely miss.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Thanks @4EverBonded. That was a really nice post. It's so true, it's all about the balance. I'm sure there were kids in the 50's and 60's who were hooked to tv and it didn't do them any good. I think the same is true for kids who get hooked on the internet or their iphones today. It's great we have these tools at our disposal, but it's also important to see the world too as you say. We all have to make the right choices for ourselves.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Case in point:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former child star Amanda Bynes pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to drunk driving, after sending a Twitter message to U.S. President Barack Obama asking him to fire the police officer who arrested her.
    Case in point:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former child star Amanda Bynes pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to drunk driving, after sending a Twitter message to U.S. President Barack Obama asking him to fire the police officer who arrested her.

=))

That's funny, sad and infuriating all at the same time.
    Case in point:

Spoiled brats are of all times, her behaviour is no different from the antics of the actors in the past. Only twiiter is rather newish.

• "Let us not then speak ill of our generation, it is not any unhappier than its predecessors. Let us not speak well of it either. Let us not speak of it at all."- Samuel Beckett.
    History is not taught thus the youth has no interest in anything that happened before they were born. When history was taught and approached openly by educators it left us hungry to know where a lot of the method for madness came from.
    I mean we listened to the latest songs but had an interest to know what our parents may have danced to or what they liked. Same goes for movies. You see Jurassic Park and you want to see the original King Kong just to see how the FX was done back in the old days.
    Obama has a twitter account ?!, surely our president would be too involved on a daily basis to get involved in such nonsense ?

I think what it is, is this Bynes, did some DUI offense, wasn't maybe thinking clearly on all fronts and merely 'sent a twit to Obama' or whatever it is, and had some delusions of grandeur of some type and just went ahead with it, any sane or untoxicated person would never attempt such a thing

What I mean is, I could drink six bottles of bourbon and cause a scene and get arrested, and then if I had an account, could sent some off to Julius Ceasar or Lincoln in the hope they get me off a charge ?

I don't know, I really don't :-<
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "Let us not then speak ill of our generation, it is not any unhappier than its predecessors. Let us not speak well of it either. Let us not speak of it at all."- Samuel Beckett.

That is one of those quotes that is remembered for saying absolutely nothing useful.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "What is it with the youth today?"

That's almost as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs.
    Do we have to drop every kid into the phone obsessed, abusive stereotype. I'm 14 and, contrary to what many think of my generation, dislike using Facebook and twitter personally because of all the rubbish that is posted. The spammy chain-statuses, the "I'm bored" statuses, and all the other attention seeking crap on there. However, I do like using Facebook and twitter to market and promote my films, in that area it is an extreamly powerful tool. I prefer the more intellectual, intelligent debates and discussions we have on here. It's a much friendlier atmosphere instead of the "So and so split up with John, what a tosser" sort of posts you get on Facebook. I also enjoy playing outdoors in the woods near where I live, building dens etc. all good fun. Being cooped up in doors is so dull when the whole world is out there I guess.
    No, we don't have to classify them all as such, and of course it's only a percentage but a significant amount nonetheless. I realize there are a number of the younger generation out there who do constructive things with their time and follow some worthwhile pursuits, so good luck to them etc, I think all age brackets will have an opinion on what a different generation think of each other, but there's never any real harm done, it's merely an array of opinions with no real displeasure involved

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Get off my lawn you young whippersnappers.
    I think you'd (maybe) use more colorful metaphors than that Kerim if such an instance ever occured :|

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Dang it, I left out the adjectives that started with f. I must be getting old.
  • I'm the same age as Daniel Craig so my thoughts on this may be a bit different than some of the younger people here...but first, a little context.

When I was a kid in the 70s my father, a very conservative and unhappy man, taught me that the world was perfect until the godless hippies came along and ruined everything. According to him, they invented drugs, pre-marital sex, and gang warfare (!) as well as evil music that turned people in to lazy, rebellious losers. Being a kid I believed what he said - I mean, not only was he older and he had lived through it but he was my father. Of course, he also taught me that giving women the right to vote was one of the biggest mistakes ever and that all people who had Down's Syndrome (he had a specific word for them that starts with "re") were child molesters. In fact, he was always very angry towards anyone who had a disability that occurred from birth, but had no problem if it was due to an accident. I won't even go into what he said about people who weren't white.

So I was indoctrinated with the idea that "kids today" were horrible and wondered why everyone couldn't be great like they were in my Dad's generation. But then a really weird thing happened.

When I was 11 or 12 I watched a double feature of GF and DAF on TV one Sunday afternoon. I thought that they were the greatest films that I had ever seen. I had never seen anything like them before and I now use the phrase that they were "wish fulfillment for wishes that I didn't know that I had". However, I was worried about what my Dad would think. There was pre-marital sex and this Bond guy wore suits and liked expensive things - someone that my Dad would derisively call "an elite" (or worse). Imagine my surprise when it turned out that my Dad loved Bond! Even more confusing was when I found out that this film was made *before* the "hippie revolution". I honestly think that this was the first time I began to doubt my Dad's version of history.

Over time, I learned that there has always been a lot of the things that my Dad complained about. I think that I was fooled by the films and TV shows of the past. Because of the Hayes Commission they gave a totally unrealistic version of society and family life. I was too young to even wonder if Father Knows Best or My Three Sons (or the Andy Hardy films) were anything other than documentaries. But it's amazing to talk to older relatives of mine now who admit that people were sleeping together in high school (in the 1940s!) and that there were "gangs" that would fight each other.

At any rate, I was telling a friend of mine (who is a child psychiatrist) about this and he showed me a paper on how people idealize (falsely) the past and concentrate on the negatives of the present, especially the next generation (I wonder what Kirk would say about Riker?!). There was a great text which was written in ancient Greece where the writer was talking about how lazy the new generation was and how they didn't respect their elders as much as the previous generation - and this was 3000 years ago! As my friend said, this is just the way it has always been and always will be.

We didn't have the internet when I was a kid but there were a lot of us that would watch TV from the time we got home from school until the time we went to bed. We didn't have cell phones but when I was in high school we would often talk to several friends on the phone all evening long. There were smart TV shows back then and dumb ones. Guess which ones most of us watched? And in terms of kids having conversations we were mostly making fun of each other, swearing, and definitely not discussing philosophy.

Quite often we don't realize that in any year the pop culture product is split between "classics" and everything else. The reason that people still talk about, say, Lawrence of Arabia today is not because all the films from that year were better than what are made today - it's just that *that* film is. That same year there was a lot of fluff or even low-brow stuff that appealed to the mass audience. It's just been forgotten. There was a great article I read by a film journalist once who said that the ration of good movies to bad movies remains roughly the same every year - but we only hear about the "good" classic films. The same could be said for any type of media.

So I don't think that "kids today" are worse than any other generation. And as for new technology its just used to do a lot of the same things that we did before, just in a different way.

But even more important than all that - we now have three generations of Bond fans! Isn't that all that really matters? ;-)
    Kerim wrote:
    Get off my lawn you young whippersnappers.
    It's always good to keep a Clint Eastwood vibe when ranting about the youth.
    Sorry for not getting into this thread sooner! Haha, quite ironically, I've been out all day doing stuff with my church youth group, so seeing this was an instant reaction! However, like DC has already mentioned, I am baffled by today's youth. As you stated in your opening post, it does also concern me that kids no younger than 9 or 10 at the least already have cell phones, and at that, mostly smart, high-tech phones. I didn't receive a cell phone until I was in the 8th grade, which was well past when my other friends received theirs, mostly in 5th or 6th grade. Of course, most of you know that I find modern music to be absolute filthy garbage, and vastly prefer the 1960's to 1980's classic rock from artists like The Rolling Stones to Styx to Van Halen. As for my taste in movies, I do prefer older movies, typically from the 1980's and 1990's, most early 2000's as well. It's not that I hate new movies, because I've enjoyed current releases like The Avengers, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, and Lockout. I just believe that newer movies have lost the edge of fine film making which past years perfected. Also, I begin to see today's youth become more wild and out of control day by day, and it scares me to think of where we will go from here. Everywhere I go I just hope that I can set a better example for older people than my generation is doing currently.
    @00Beast, you think movies from the 80s and 90s are old? :))
    I am a manager of a well known food retail chain in Great Britain and the worse customers we get coming into the store are the school kids of today.
    When I first got offered the job in 2010, I set up a shop lifting programme with the local school.
    We catch them, school interviews them and they then work off what they stole for a day.
    I am not saying that these things are confind to todays youth, as we all know it used to go on in the past. But since some teachers and parents do not give a toss in this day and age, especially when some of the parents only have kids for the chance to not have to work and live off benefits. It is not always the kids fault and I feel it helps the child learn repect for what we do at the store. I have had roughly 20 children through the programme and only 2 have refused, which then the police take over.
    Been given the backing of the local police on this matter and they thank me for taking alot of paper work off thier hands.

• the good old days...
    I'm the same age as Daniel Craig so my thoughts on this may be a bit different than some of the younger people here...but first, a little context.

When I was a kid in the 70s my father, a very conservative and unhappy man, taught me that the world was perfect until the godless hippies came along and ruined everything. According to him, they invented drugs, pre-marital sex, and gang warfare (!) as well as evil music that turned people in to lazy, rebellious losers. Being a kid I believed what he said - I mean, not only was he older and he had lived through it but he was my father. Of course, he also taught me that giving women the right to vote was one of the biggest mistakes ever and that all people who had Down's Syndrome (he had a specific word for them that starts with "re") were child molesters. In fact, he was always very angry towards anyone who had a disability that occurred from birth, but had no problem if it was due to an accident. I won't even go into what he said about people who weren't white.

So I was indoctrinated with the idea that "kids today" were horrible and wondered why everyone couldn't be great like they were in my Dad's generation. But then a really weird thing happened.

When I was 11 or 12 I watched a double feature of GF and DAF on TV one Sunday afternoon. I thought that they were the greatest films that I had ever seen. I had never seen anything like them before and I now use the phrase that they were "wish fulfillment for wishes that I didn't know that I had". However, I was worried about what my Dad would think. There was pre-marital sex and this Bond guy wore suits and liked expensive things - someone that my Dad would derisively call "an elite" (or worse). Imagine my surprise when it turned out that my Dad loved Bond! Even more confusing was when I found out that this film was made *before* the "hippie revolution". I honestly think that this was the first time I began to doubt my Dad's version of history.

Over time, I learned that there has always been a lot of the things that my Dad complained about. I think that I was fooled by the films and TV shows of the past. Because of the Hayes Commission they gave a totally unrealistic version of society and family life. I was too young to even wonder if Father Knows Best or My Three Sons (or the Andy Hardy films) were anything other than documentaries. But it's amazing to talk to older relatives of mine now who admit that people were sleeping together in high school (in the 1940s!) and that there were "gangs" that would fight each other.

At any rate, I was telling a friend of mine (who is a child psychiatrist) about this and he showed me a paper on how people idealize (falsely) the past and concentrate on the negatives of the present, especially the next generation (I wonder what Kirk would say about Riker?!). There was a great text which was written in ancient Greece where the writer was talking about how lazy the new generation was and how they didn't respect their elders as much as the previous generation - and this was 3000 years ago! As my friend said, this is just the way it has always been and always will be.

We didn't have the internet when I was a kid but there were a lot of us that would watch TV from the time we got home from school until the time we went to bed. We didn't have cell phones but when I was in high school we would often talk to several friends on the phone all evening long. There were smart TV shows back then and dumb ones. Guess which ones most of us watched? And in terms of kids having conversations we were mostly making fun of each other, swearing, and definitely not discussing philosophy.

Quite often we don't realize that in any year the pop culture product is split between "classics" and everything else. The reason that people still talk about, say, Lawrence of Arabia today is not because all the films from that year were better than what are made today - it's just that *that* film is. That same year there was a lot of fluff or even low-brow stuff that appealed to the mass audience. It's just been forgotten. There was a great article I read by a film journalist once who said that the ration of good movies to bad movies remains roughly the same every year - but we only hear about the "good" classic films. The same could be said for any type of media.

So I don't think that "kids today" are worse than any other generation. And as for new technology its just used to do a lot of the same things that we did before, just in a different way.

But even more important than all that - we now have three generations of Bond fans! Isn't that all that really matters? ;-)

Wise words.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    You had one computer per class?! You were lucky! We had one computer per school in my day, and access was strictly rationed. If you were lucky you might be able to play Snake on it! Or that Tennis game!

Those were really tough times!

when were you in school, if I may ask ?

A long time ago, in the happier times before the dark lord Brosnan's evil reign cast a dark shadow across Bondland.

=))

1991? Jesus, I was backpacking across South East Asia in 1991. Spending £5 on beach huts on Ko Samui where there are five star resorts nowadays.

I know it is easy to say things are better today because of technology. There is far more job insecurity nowadays, far more unemployment, far more abuses in the workplace.

So I am not convinced things are better nowadays at all.

Ko flippin' Samui in 1991!? You younguns don't even know you're born! I were workin' down pit at your age, bringing up coal with me bare hands. We were lucky if we made five pounds a year! And I did live in a hut, but it werent on some Asian beach. That were wot we called home. Considered ourselves lucky if we got a bowl of porridge and a slap round the ears before bed.

Those were the days! Acton didn't even exist then - just fields as far as the eye could see. No fancy dungeons that's for sure!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Getafix wrote:
    The problem with the youth of today is that they are the old codgers of tomorrow.

Youth is wasted on the young!
    Getafix wrote:
    The problem with the youth of today is that they are the old codgers of tomorrow.

Youth is wasted on the young!

That's a great shout, half of my school year have more than one kid allready and there are loads younger than me with kids, I'm only 22.
    I'm all for having kids if your actually in love but the vast majority are single mums and they can't even look after themselves .
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,692
    jamesh101 wrote:
    Do we have to drop every kid into the phone obsessed, abusive stereotype.

I'm 21, so if I dropped every kid in the phone obsessed stereotype, I would have included myself.

@00Beast, you think movies from the 80s and 90s are old? :))

For many kids today, movies predating the 1990's are very old. within a few years, the original Die Hard will be considered prehistoric... shame because it still is miles better than most action films today.