What is it with the youth today ?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    Another prime example of ignorance in a world where information is at the fingertips:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rodney-king-dick-clark-titanic-real-death-major-110858944.html

Scroll down to the bit about Paul McCartney. IF YOU'RE BRAVE. :|

Ignorance and stupidity is not solely owned by the youth. All generations have their rather large slice of afore mentioned character traits.

Ask me about teenage idols in movie, tv and music and you'll find my knowledge lacking. And while I enjoy history books there is a lot of it and I find that my knowledge on more than one occassion is lacking or limited.

On behaviour I can honestly not blame one particular generation. Having a shoppingtrolly smashed into my legs this weekend by a pensioner and being told rudely to get out of her way ensured my that bad behaviour comes in all ages.
    I understand that, but this is a thread about the youth.
    Well, speaking of youth today:

http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-288807-apres-une-gaffe-a-la-tele-justin-bieber-devient-la-risee-des-telespectateurs-americains.html

All right, it's in french, but the clip is in english. Pathetic.

BTW: part of the conversations reminded me of the "Four Yorkshiremen" Monty Python skit.

And part of it is just like the "grumpy old man" skit in early Saturday Night Live.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Here's the video:
    http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/videos/justin-bieber-whats-the-sistine-chapel/
    Letterman wrecked him that night, and he just had to sit and take it, haha.

"I'm not going for the 16th Chapel".

*GLOBAL FACEPALM*
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Here's the video:
    http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/videos/justin-bieber-whats-the-sistine-chapel/

*GLOBAL FACEPALM*

Wasn't really shocked when I read that, unfortunately. That's just one of those things that you should know, even if you haven't attended a single day of any type of schooling. If you haven't heard about the history of the Chapel in some type of book, documentary, film, or passing conversation, then I don't know what to tell you. So pathetic.

I recall asking an idiot at my community college (not hard to find) two years back when George Washington was president. Now, if you don't know the exact date, years, etc., I can understand that - just a rough estimate of when would be acceptable.

His answer? 5,000 years ago. 5. Thousand. Years. Ago.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Here's the video:

*GLOBAL FACEPALM*

Wasn't really shocked when I read that, unfortunately. That's just one of those things that you should know, even if you haven't attended a single day of any type of schooling. If you haven't heard about the history of the Chapel in some type of book, documentary, film, or passing conversation, then I don't know what to tell you. So pathetic.

I recall asking an idiot at my community college (not hard to find) two years back when George Washington was president. Now, if you don't know the exact date, years, etc., I can understand that - just a rough estimate of when would be acceptable.

I'm not even American and I know when George Washington was president.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Here's the video:

*GLOBAL FACEPALM*

Same here. It has now come to the point where idiocracy and ignorance are no longer any surprises to me. Very sad indeed.

I'll take your story @Creasy47, and raise you this:

A kid of my age (18), was talking with a friend (who is British) and I, and my friend was talking about his life in Britain. The kid then said that he thought my friend was European, and assumed in was a country.

*FACEPALM*
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, oh. Oh wow.

"Welcome to the Country of EuropeBritishtainland. Enjoy!"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, oh. Oh wow.

"Welcome to the Country of EuropeBritishtainland. Enjoy!"

My British friend: (conversing with me about Britain)
    The kid: "I thought you were European."
    My British friend: "Britian is in Europe..."
    The kid: "Oh, I thought it was a country..."
    My friend and I: (exchanging awkward glances, trying not to laugh)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The day when younger generations ask "Who is James Bond?" will be a sad day indeed.
    I heard in the local pub in Maastricht (southern city in the Netherlands) between young Americans:

- How was Amsterdam?
    - Great and no passportcheck, didn't even see the bordercontrol. You know they have even more liberal laws concerning drugs than in this country Limburg (Which is the most southern province of the Netherlands).

If you come and visit a country and do a little studying it would be kind of nice to learn a little about our neck of the woods.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, congratulations, because I don't believe I could have held it in. I would have given a long stare, followed by a blunt "Wow," and just exited the conversation with my thoughts and confusion.

I can only think of another like-minded story, but it involves '28 Weeks Later,' so the ending is in the spoilers:
    My friend asked me about the film, and she didn't mind hearing the ending, so I got through most of the film, and told her at the very end, you see zombies in full sprint, and the camera pans out, showing the Eiffel Tower behind them, hinting that the zombie virus is spreading at an insane rate now.

Her response: "So it spread to America?"

Now, the only possible thing I can think of is that she was implying that she thought I was speaking of, say, the Eiffel Tower copy in Las Vegas or at a Kings Dominion park. She had no idea either of those existed, and legitimately thought that the tower itself resided in America.
    And of course, there's this:

Gerard wrote:

The first time I saw that I couldn't believe it.
    Oh....hmm.....wow. Ehh.....not much to say except that when she said "You tried to trick me" my thought was exactly "that's probably not hard to do." Hahahaha.
    Gerard wrote:

That's hilarious, but also really sad that somebody could actually think that.
    Stopped the video with Jeff's "You've gotta be f***ing kidding me." face at 0:49. I can't take anymore. If you think the words that are about to exit your mouth are absolutely outlandish, just please, hold them back.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    This reminds me of a time where someone told me, or it come out they thought, Michael Buble's I'm Feeling Good was "that James Bond song".
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This reminds me of a time where someone told me, or it come out they thought, Michael Buble's I'm Feeling Good was "that James Bond song".
    Things could be worse. Yes, it isn't a Bond theme, and no, Michael wasn't the first to sing it, but that isn't common knowledge everyone should know. Like Europe being a continent, and not a country...
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 7,653
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/loch-ness-monster-used-debunk-evolution-state-funded-190816504.html

It sounds like a hoax, but it's apparently true: The Loch Ness Monster is on the science class syllabus for kids at Eternity Christian Academy in Westlake, Louisiana.
    As reported by the Herald Scotland (which must track all Loch Ness-related news), a school that will receive tax-payer dollars, will teach kids that the mythological sea creature is real in order to debunk the theory of evolution. So pay attention: That will be on the test.

Eternity Christian Academy uses the fundamentalist A.C.E. Curriculum to teach students "to see life from God's point of view."

According to the Herald, one textbook, Biology 1099, reads, "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence. Have you heard of the 'Loch Ness Monster' in Scotland? 'Nessie' for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur."

Starting in the fall, thousands of schoolchildren will receive publicly funded vouchers to attend private schools, some of which are religious. Religious schools in Louisiana will receive public funding as part of a push from Louisiana's governor, Bobby Jindal, to move millions of tax dollars to cover tuition for private schools, including small bible-based church schools. Money will fund schools that have "bible-based math books" and biology texts that refute evolution.

At Eternity Christian Academy, pastor-turned-principal Marie Carrier says that the her first through eighth-grade students learn at their own pace from Christian workbooks. The beginning science text explains "what God made" on each of the six days of creation. Evolution is not taught.

Carrier said, "We try to stay away from all those things that might confuse our children." She hopes to secure enrollment of 135 voucher students for the 2012-2013 school year. According to the website Salon, the school currently has just 38 students.

Whether this gambit will help move Louisiana from the bottom of math and science rankings in the country is unclear. A 2011 study of how well primary education prepares students for engineering careers had Louisiana third from the bottom, with only West Virginia and Mississippi performing worse.

If you teach stuff like this no wonder the youth of today gets dumber. O:-)
    Watch at your own risk...I suggest acquiring a hard hat in preparation for massive face-palming.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    4787835_700b.jpg

We "invented" Justice Beaver, Lady GaGa, SWAg and YOLO.
    I feel ashamed and above all, sad for my generation...
  • When I was in high-school, it seemed to be that a large portion of the students there were 'sick' with the typical modern decease : everything that pre-dates your birthyear is prehistoric.... that meant that for most people in my school, anything that predated the start of the 1990's was 'prehistoric' and 'dated'.

Whenever I go on Twitter, it seems there's frequently 'trending topics' about stuff like 'Twilight', 'Justin Bieber', and more recently 'One Direction'.

What has today's youth come to ?

When I was 11 years old in 2002, I didn't know any kid my age that had a cellphone. More recently it seems nearly every 11 year old kid has a cellphone.... now it seems most kids need a 'smartphone', which didn't exist 5 years ago ! and all these kids think that 'pre-smartphone' cellphones are dated.

I am glad to be part of Mi6community, where young members like 00Beast and 0Brady are fans of old movies and old music.

What are your thoughts ?
    @0Brady @00Beast what is the state of young students in your area ? do they hate old* things for the most part ?

*old meaning pre 1990's.

I remember in 2008 when the first Twilight movie was in theaters..... every girl in my school talked about it. If you tried to talk about Stanley Kubric, Schindler's List, The Godfather or Taxi Driver, you were frowned upon, and were questioned with 'why are you bringing up old, dated movies in the conversation ?'

What with the recent retro/vintage trend then? Some youngsters are buying vinyl again, Mad Men is very popular among my contemporaries (I'm 23),...

I, for one, am a living fossil: my favourite authors are Philip Roth and Vladimir Nabokov, I listen to classical music and jazz from the fifties and sixties, I own three mechanical watches (a Bovet from the fourties, a Jaeger-LeCoultre from the fifties and an Omega Seamaster from the sixties), and a last example: I love self tie bow ties :)

So, in short, you're not alone!
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited July 2012 Posts: 858
    I, for one, am a living fossil: my favourite authors are Philip Roth and Vladimir Nabokov, I listen to classical music and jazz from the fifties and sixties, I own three mechanical watches (a Bovet from the fourties, a Jaeger-LeCoultre from the fifties and an Omega Seamaster from the sixties), and a last example: I love self tie bow ties :)

So, in short, you're not alone!

I'm typing this while listening to my Dean Martin vinyl on my room:

I hate the pre-tied bow ties, have got a self-tie one for a couple of years. Instead of having that twilight dude and nicki minaj on my wall, I've got an original ad of Elvis' 1974 Las Vegas Concert and a Chris Consani of Monroe, James Dean, Humphrey Bogart and The King himself. I usually wear blazers when I'm not working, have a vintage Fedora for the winter/when it rains and usually listening to something among the lines of NCK or the chairman of the board.

In short, you're not a living Fossil, you've got class. ;)
    In 30 years time, people of our generation will finally know what we were on about when we were young.
    I've always been a fan of KassemG. He always seems to bring to light the truly arrogant, idiotic people of the world, which we have plenty of.

I mean, right off the bat, how can you not know what month, day, year, and estimated time the attacks happened on 9/11?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've always been a fan of KassemG. He always seems to bring to light the truly arrogant, idiotic people of the world, which we have plenty of.

I mean, right off the bat, how can you not know what month, day, year, and estimated time the attacks happened on 9/11?

I have only started watching his videos recently, but I tell you, the guy is brave. He has said things to people I can't believe.
    Yes, he has. He really doesn't hold back at all, and that's a big reason why his videos are so hilarious and entertaining to me.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11
    MartinBond wrote:
    In short, you're not a living Fossil, you've got class. ;)
    In 30 years time, people of our generation will finally know what we were on about when we were young.

Very kind of you to say so :) You seem to me quite stylish as well! How many of our younsters would even know what a fedora is...

Could you tell me a bit more about yourself? It's always nice to meet likeminded people, especially if the age difference isn't that big.
    MartinBond wrote:
    4787835_700b.jpg

I absolutely love that story! Kudos to the older generation! =)) =D>
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    MartinBond wrote:
    4787835_700b.jpg

F*cking brilliant! :)) Thanks for sharing this @MartinBond