Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Thank you! Three episodes in and I’m loving just about every bit thus far! I was pleasantly surprised by all the horror elements that are present! I get a sort of Twilight Zone vibe a few times, which is meant as a high compliment. Much has already been said about the excellent chemistry between characters, so I’ll just say I agree!

I have them on Bluray I an due a rewatch, I tend to revisit them every few years or so. The writing certainly in the first two seasons is so good it resonates in any time period you rewatch it. Are you watching the remastered version with new special effects?

Nice! Yes it’s remastered; do you have a preference between the older and remastered ones?

I tend to watch the remastered versions they did such a good job making it look authentic. I occasionally watch the original versions just to compare. I have noticed now on UK TV or Netflix they show the remastered version.

Same here. But some of those FX shots in the original blue screen mattes really look terrible in HD... hence the remastered episodes. I *will* say that the Klingon battle cruisers look pretty bad in the remastered episodes compared to the originals though....
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Really hope to see the Director's Edition in glorious 4K. It's a crime that it's stuck in standard definition.

I was reading through the YouTube comments one poster did mention the Directors Edition also being restored, how much truth is in that no idea. The additional visual effects were superb, though they would have to redo all the effects again at a much higher resolution. Hopefully some good money will be put into this restoration, the film deserves it.

As a matter of fact the producers that worked on the DE have been in talks with Paramount. Even better is that they still have the raw visual elements archived so they could be able to re-edit them back into the director's cut at a higher resolution.

A lot of the same people that worked on the DE have also worked on DEEP SPACE NINE and VOYAGER, that they archived their work on those show and have been able to upload samples of what their work would look like when upgraded to a higher resolution.

That looks great, I have been putting off a DS9 complete rewatch for some time in hope that we will get a remaster akin to what they did with Next Gen.

DS9 had some great space battles once the Defiant was introduced.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Thank you! Three episodes in and I’m loving just about every bit thus far! I was pleasantly surprised by all the horror elements that are present! I get a sort of Twilight Zone vibe a few times, which is meant as a high compliment. Much has already been said about the excellent chemistry between characters, so I’ll just say I agree!

I have them on Bluray I an due a rewatch, I tend to revisit them every few years or so. The writing certainly in the first two seasons is so good it resonates in any time period you rewatch it. Are you watching the remastered version with new special effects?

Nice! Yes it’s remastered; do you have a preference between the older and remastered ones?

I tend to watch the remastered versions they did such a good job making it look authentic. I occasionally watch the original versions just to compare. I have noticed now on UK TV or Netflix they show the remastered version.

Same here. But some of those FX shots in the original blue screen mattes really look terrible in HD... hence the remastered episodes. I *will* say that the Klingon battle cruisers look pretty bad in the remastered episodes compared to the originals though....

Overall I can overlook some of the remastered elements not being as great as others, having ships or as Chevok would say 'Wessels' instead of flashing light in some instances was a plus point.

I have not watched some episodes of the remastered version for a few years, so I will need to have a look at some models/effects that were added to refresh my memory. One ship that did stand out for me was the Romulan Ship in classic Balance of Terror.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I watched the first two episodes of LOWER DECKS last night for the first time, and just an hour ago I finished the season finale. It's not the Star Trek show I wanted, but it turned out to be the one I actually needed. Such a pleasant and diverting show brimming with enthusiasm.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just finished Lower Decks season 1 and loved every moment of it.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Just noticed Discovery Season 3 is back on Netflix. Somehow I fear it will neither change its pace nor will the scriptwriting get any better.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Just noticed Discovery Season 3 is back on Netflix. Somehow I fear it will neither change its pace nor will the scriptwriting get any better.

Is that in the UK, not currently subscribed to Netflix.
    I watched the season three premiere. For the moment it seems promising in terms of premise and how Michael will be recalibrated for the new direction. Worth noting, this is the only season where the head writer was not fired halfway through the season... hopefully that means we’ll see a more consistent and clear cut storyline play out unlike with the very fractured first two seasons.
    Just watched S3Ep1 of STD, I am intrigued to see where it goes. Burnham still has ridiculous plot armour and still grates as the greatest at everything.
    Being set in the Future removes restrictions that were on the first two seasons, or alternatively may not trample on canon too much, depending how you look at it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought it was good space adventure fun, with traders and aliens and danger and all that: good fun. Although I still just don't like Burnham, yes. She does some powerful overacting in this episode. I liked Book quite a lot though, hopefully he sticks around, I thought he was a good co-lead. Way better than that po-faced Spock from last year.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,102
    Book was a good character, i have seen the actor before he played DC Character Manchester Black in Supergirl, he will add a lot to this season.

---

Resuming my Next Generation rewatch after a long hiatus, S3 Ep5 The Bonding most of the episodes from season 3 to 6 are consistently very good.
    Looking forward to episode 2, I have enjoyed the previous two seasons and Picard quite a lot and look forward to more new Star Trek
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited October 2020 Posts: 45,489
    In the first season of the original run, we learn that the show takes place in the 28th century, but that is later changed to much earlier.
    Even in the very first season they were not consistent with when it might take place. There’s two episodes that imply it’s the 22nd century, but then another implies its 26th century.

They never really settled on what century it took place until WRATH OF KHAN came out 16 years later. The original idea was that they would never explain how far into the future it is, which was why Stardates were made up.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,102
    I attempted to rewatch STD S3 EP1 as I liked the future sci fi aspects of this show, the over acting put me off immediately. Also the characterisation of aliens in this show continues to be lazy.
    Even in the very first season they were not consistent with when it might take place. There’s two episodes that imply it’s the 22nd century, but then another implies its 26th century.

They never really settled on what century it took place until WRATH OF KHAN came out 16 years later. The original idea was that they would never explain how far into the future it is, which was why Stardates were made up.

Good point. I was thinking of the episode where they say it s been nine hundred years since the Napoleonic era.
    Watched the second DISCO episode of the third season. Actually better than the premiere IMO, and it gives a lot of much needed focus to the crew with Michael being on the sidelines. Saru better get a full commission to Captain because he's really proving to be an effective leader.
    STD S3 EP2 very mixed, the scenes with Saru, Georgiou and Zaher were good
    I am glad Zaher lived as easily the most interesting character in the episide.
    everything else was forgetable.

One of the issues I have with the show in general is very bland underdeveloped secondary characters with repetitive unnecessary sub plots. The ending was a bit cringe worthy.
    I agree and wonder if I am particularly critical with franchises I love, but ST:D just is not up to par with other shows in the scriptwriting department. Zaher is a very 1-dimensional character and the others in the colony are very bland, as you said. Tilly goes on my nerves 100%, how could such a character be tolerated on the bridge of a starship? She's been written in so that so many nerdy Trekkies can sympathize with her and for comic relief.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,102
    STD S3 Episode 4 give me a bucket, the writing on this show is cringe. The show is going backwards this one is like a really bad season 1 episode in fact worse.
    So far S3 is pretty good. It's nice to see the rest of the crew get more development, along with a newcomer. Revisiting Trill was nice. Discovery becoming sentient was something we knew was coming even before S2 with that Short Trek, so it's nice to see that play out.

The only thing that feels off is Empress Georgiou. I get the sense that she's there to serve as the DISCO equivalent of Spike from BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, but she doesn't really fit with this show.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,102
    STD S3 Episode 5 Well what a contrast, this episode was brilliant. This is how you write Star Trek. So many things in this episode that were excellent, Burnham was written better than at any point in the series. I will rewatch this episode again for sure, I hope who ever wrote this writes the rest of the season (unlikely :)) )

A certain cameo from a great director I am a fan of I really liked
    David Cronenberg

This is possibly the very best Star Trek Discovery episode.

Have to agree, that was a great episode. And so many questions...
    the interest in Terrans, the music, where is Michael's mom, does she or the Terrans have anything to do with the burn, what did David Cronenberg do to Michelle Yeoh?

zebrafish wrote: »
    Have to agree, that was a great episode. And so many questions...
    the interest in Terrans, the music, where is Michael's mom, does she or the Terrans have anything to do with the burn, what did David Cronenberg do to Michelle Yeoh?

Regarding the Burn I feel I am none the wiser though I am happy to be in the dark, they really hit a sweet spot with that episode I really hope they can maintain it. It was good to see Oded Fehr, actor from the Brendan Fraser Mummy films as
    The Admiral.
    Most of the acting in this episode was very tight and not too much over emotional rubbish we have seen in other episodes. Regarding Michelle Yeoh I am not sure though it was very odd in a good way.
    I used to think the original series was by far the best, but rewatching it, it isn t that great. I wonder if not The Next Generation is actually the best. The other shows have never interested me. They seem like a waste of time.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    TNG is the best, IMO. The most thought-provoking.
    QBranch wrote: »
    TNG is the best, IMO. The most thought-provoking.

Yes, that is exactly it. It brings up many philosophical and ethical matters.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,311
    There was a tiny bit of a Bond reference in Star Trek Discovery s3e9:
    Michelle Yeoh is being confronted with a newspaper headline reporting her death. and it's tomorrow's news
    There's no news like bad news.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,861
    I attempted to rewatch STD S3 EP1 as I liked the future sci fi aspects of this show, the over acting put me off immediately.

The acting standard in the show is pretty terrible. The only genuinely good actor left in it is Doug Jones, although I think Michelle Yeoh has bags of charisma (which really help as her technical acting isn't great). Everyone else in the crew, as you say, overacts wildly. The guy playing Stamets just seems to pull faces.
    Book is good though, he would be a more engaging main character than most of them.
    mtm wrote: »
    I attempted to rewatch STD S3 EP1 as I liked the future sci fi aspects of this show, the over acting put me off immediately.

The acting standard in the show is pretty terrible. The only genuinely good actor left in it is Doug Jones, although I think Michelle Yeoh has bags of charisma (which really help as her technical acting isn't great). Everyone else in the crew, as you say, overacts wildly. The guy playing Stamets just seems to pull faces.
    Book is good though, he would be a more engaging main character than most of them.

A few episodes later it has improved as arguably the best episode in the entire show happened. I have yet to watch the last two episodes as been busy hopefully watch them on Wednesday, I think the show works better when the side characters are not involved and the plot is the focus.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,999
    I used to think the original series was by far the best, but rewatching it, it isn t that great. I wonder if not The Next Generation is actually the best. The other shows have never interested me. They seem like a waste of time.

Of all the shows, DS9 is actually the best IMO. That show really surprised me when I finally gave it a chance. TOS and TNG are classics but they have a few weak seasons here and there that keep it from being the best. LOWER DECKS is surprisingly fun, and I was not even looking forward to that show.