"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Haven't been on here in a while, but as I'm the only person who actually follows the San Marino national team I felt obliged to report its first ever away cleansheet while securing a 0-0 draw at Liechtenstein.

With 17 goal attempts to the hosts' 6 they could have snatched their first ever competitive win too, but given it's their first point in 6 years I suppose it would be paradoxical to complain.

Congrats at keeping your first ever clean sheet, in England we always remember San Marino for this...

...and England failing to qualify for the World Cup, I watched the game and remember it well.

That used to be the fastest ever World Cup qualifier goal :).
    But my own countryman Benteke managed to score a faster one a few years ago.

Indeed I think the goal versus England is now the second fastest International goal.
    I just looked it up. It's number 3 at the moment, friendlies included. Still number 2 for competitive fixtures though.

Here's the full list:
    https://sportmob.com/en/article/798049-the-top-14-fastest-goals-in-international-football
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Haven't been on here in a while, but as I'm the only person who actually follows the San Marino national team I felt obliged to report its first ever away cleansheet while securing a 0-0 draw at Liechtenstein.

With 17 goal attempts to the hosts' 6 they could have snatched their first ever competitive win too, but given it's their first point in 6 years I suppose it would be paradoxical to complain.

Congrats at keeping your first ever clean sheet, in England we always remember San Marino for this...

...and England failing to qualify for the World Cup, I watched the game and remember it well.

That used to be the fastest ever World Cup qualifier goal :).
    But my own countryman Benteke managed to score a faster one a few years ago.

Indeed I think the goal versus England is now the second fastest International goal.
    I just looked it up. It's number 3 at the moment, friendlies included. Still number 2 for competitive fixtures though.

Here's the full list:
    https://sportmob.com/en/article/798049-the-top-14-fastest-goals-in-international-football

A few familiar names in that list, I think I saw maybe two or three live when they happened though when Robson scored in 1982 I was young lol
    The luminous teeth! :))
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Lolzzz @Torgeirtrap that was very funny.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I thought so too! Never watched Spitting Image before though.

Yeah.
    Liverpool 1-1 Everton...at the moment, tough match it seems.
    Hmmmmm, I just hope Arsenal do well today....at least if they're beaten by City, it shouldn't be a 'reality check' defeat.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,280

Yeah.
    Hmmmmm, I just hope Arsenal do well today....at least if they're beaten by City, it shouldn't be a 'reality check' defeat.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Can't see Arsenal getting anything from tonight's game, to be honest. It's just one of those matches they have to get through without losing by too many goals, then move on to the fixtures ahead…

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Can't see Arsenal getting anything from tonight's game, to be honest. It's just one of those matches they have to get through without losing by too many goals, then move on to the fixtures ahead…

Yeah, Hope it ends 1-1 too.

That's the thing. I'm so concerned for Arsenal tonight.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,353

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Van Dijk off injured after heavy Pickford challenge, should have been a red card.
    Awful tackle........
    Uc4TkodVQPW6j4hEMrqC_GettyImages-1229118621.jpg

Arsenal to beat city i think.

• edited October 2020 Posts: 17,280

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

De Bruyne being out might affect City to a degree, though you'd think whoever Pep decides to play would have gone straight into the Arsenal first eleven.

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Van Dijk off injured after heavy Pickford challenge, should have been a red card.
    Awful tackle........

Nasty challenge, for sure!

That would be a surprise result. Can't see that Arsenal team having any chance against Pep's men.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Awful tackle........

Yeah, very awful challenge by Pickford. It might be looked into again....after the match.

Yeah, I hope so @007InAction I sincerely hope so for Arsenal.
    Exactly @Torgeirtrap it doesn't matter who's out or in....in City's team, so much depth in that squad.
    Exactly @Torgeirtrap it doesn't matter who's out or in....in City's team, so much depth in that squad.

It's incredible, isn't it. And when they're at their best (and all available), it's frightening how good they can be.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,353

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Awful tackle........

Yeah, very awful challenge by Pickford. It might be looked into again....after the match.

Liverpool unlucky with that VAR offside as well on mane.

No kdb, aguero ? and man city not playing well is why i think arsenal will win.

It's incredible, isn't it. And when they're at their best (and all available), it's frightening how good they can be.

Honestly!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am not convinced by City even more so with KDB out. Also striking options not good due to injurys, losing Silva is a huge loss, this squad not got the same depth as two years ago. Also not really replaced Sane either.

Yeah.

I hope it ends 1-1!

Awful tackle........

Liverpool unlucky with that VAR offside as well on mane.

No kdb, aguero ? and man city not playing well is why i think arsenal will win.

Yeah, everything went against Liverpool today.

Yeah, but Man City still carry so much threat though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Timo Werner with a second for Chelsea against Southampton.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,328
    Going to watch the City game, Aguero starts wow. Mahrez with a good early shot.

Not happy that Newcastle v Man United is on Box Office PPV

Yeah. United won....after a shaky start. I think Ole can relax again.

Some United fans getting carried away with the win, I will see what happens after we have played PSG and Chelsea.

Listening to Bruno post match interview, we really are lucky to have him such a great mentality if anyone will save (continue to save) Ole it's Bruno, Bruno is a born leader.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,247

Some United fans getting carried away with the win, I will see what happens after we have played PSG and Chelsea.

Listening to Bruno post match interview, we really are lucky to have him such a great mentality if anyone will save (continue to save) Ole it's Bruno, Bruno is a born leader.

Yeah. United do have some tough games on the horizon though.

Yeah. Bruno is a stellar midfielder, who has an eye for goal....which is a huge PLUS for a midfielder.
    Although I have few issues with the midfielders in the Arsenal team, they do lack a midfielder that can create things like Bruno does.
    Although I have few issues with the midfielders in the Arsenal team, they do lack a midfielder that can create things like Bruno does.

United have Mata, Pogba Bruno and DVDB as creates, all of a sudden we have too many now all are fit. Personally I would go with this line up...
    De Gea
    AWB Baily Maguire Telles
    Fred Pogba
    DVDB Bruno Rashford
    Martial

When all fit and not suspended.

United have Mata, Pogba Bruno and DVDB as creates, all of a sudden we have too many now all are fit. Personally I would go with this line up...
    De Gea
    AWB Baily Maguire Telles
    Fred Pogba
    DVDB Bruno Rashford
    Martial

When all fit and not suspended.

It's a luxury to have too many creative players, haha! That lineup looks very strong.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Not happy with Palace today. One shot on target, a perfectly good goal disallowed by VAR, a late equaliser and a late Brighton red = disappointed.
    Not happy with Palace today. One shot on target, a perfectly good goal disallowed by VAR, a late equaliser and a late Brighton red = disappointed.

Not the most exciting match, that's for sure.
    With van Aanholt back in the team soon, will it be Mitchell that loses his spot?
    Van Dijk ACL injury blown the title race wide open.

Souness: Pickford challenge 'an assault'

"It amazes me," he said. "I guarantee you, every single professional who has ever played the game, semi-professional, maybe the guys on Hackney Marshes, when you look at that, the focus is not on the offside, their focus is on one thing: the assault on the player.

"It's outrageous. For me, as an ex-player, it's 'wow!'. These people who make these decisions, who sit in Stockley Park, can look at that and think, 'that's offside', I just don't get it. They just don't know what they're talking about.

"I've been to Stockley Park, it's nigh-on impossible to make a mistake with the technology they have, the time they give themselves. And they can still get it wrong.

"That wasn't a tackle, that was an assault!"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/12107950/virgil-van-dijk-jamie-carragher-says-liverpool-defenders-injury-blows-title-race-wide-open

Souness: Pickford challenge 'an assault'

"It amazes me," he said. "I guarantee you, every single professional who has ever played the game, semi-professional, maybe the guys on Hackney Marshes, when you look at that, the focus is not on the offside, their focus is on one thing: the assault on the player.

"It's outrageous. For me, as an ex-player, it's 'wow!'. These people who make these decisions, who sit in Stockley Park, can look at that and think, 'that's offside', I just don't get it. They just don't know what they're talking about.

"I've been to Stockley Park, it's nigh-on impossible to make a mistake with the technology they have, the time they give themselves. And they can still get it wrong.

"That wasn't a tackle, that was an assault!"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/12107950/virgil-van-dijk-jamie-carragher-says-liverpool-defenders-injury-blows-title-race-wide-open

Strong comments there, I have not seen the actual tackle though will now.

Just watched it, totally wreckless by Pickford definate sending off, it's not the first time he has made a wreckless challenge and got away with it.