"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited October 2020 Posts: 17,295

SKY Sports response to online abuse

It's incredible the abuse some people get online. I often find myself thinking about what those who write these things get from behaving this way…

I think attention should be brought to the senseless abuse, because that's what it is senseless. One host pointed it out that if they were walking past them in the street many would not dare say anything.

When I have been out running or cycling I have had the odd abusive comment from people as they speed past in a car, funny it never happens much when people are walking past me in the street. Basically its cowardice, people will abuse others when they have an escape route or anonymity.

It really is senseless, no doubt.

It's incredible what that anonymity can cause people to say or write to another person, isn't it? Some years ago, TV2 here in Norway had a web series in which a TV team confronted online trolls about their comments with those they had targeted their abuse against – in these cases famous people (politicians, media personalities etc.) I only remember one episode where this guy had targeted a lot of abuse – over time – against a female politician. He described the abuse as humour gone to far or something like that…

What sort of abusive comments have you got while out running/cycling?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

It's incredible the abuse some people get online. I often find myself thinking about what those who write these things get from behaving this way…

I think attention should be brought to the senseless abuse, because that's what it is senseless. One host pointed it out that if they were walking past them in the street many would not dare say anything.

When I have been out running or cycling I have had the odd abusive comment from people as they speed past in a car, funny it never happens much when people are walking past me in the street. Basically its cowardice, people will abuse others when they have an escape route or anonymity.

It's incredible what that anonymity can cause people to say or write to another person, isn't it? Some years ago, TV2 here in Norway had a web series in which a TV team confronted online trolls about their comments with those they had targeted their abuse against – in these cases famous people (politicians, media personalities etc.) I only remember one episode where this guy had targeted a lot of abuse – over time – against a female politician. He described the abuse as humour gone to far or something like that…

You often cant hear exactly whats been said though get the general idea, they are attempting to knock your concentration most of the time.

You often cant hear exactly whats been said though get the general idea, they are attempting to knock your concentration most of the time.

Very odd behaviour…
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,247
    No Aouar deal for Arsenal it seems:

Yeah, I'm not necessarily bent on Aouar though. But he would be a great addition. But Arsenal already have very creative players. We just need two rugged midfielders....guys that disrupt the opposition. It's what Arsenal fans have been crying out for...like forever. Flair has never been Arsenal's problem, but a bit of steel.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,295
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not necessarily bent on Aouar though. But he would be a great addition. But Arsenal already have very creative players. We just need two rugged midfielders....guys that disrupt the opposition. It's what Arsenal fans have been crying out for...like forever. Flair has never been Arsenal's problem, but a bit of steel.

I know too little about Aouar to have an opinion of him, but from what I've read earlier in the transfer window, Arsenal and Arteta would really like to sign him.

From what I've seen on Twitter yesterday and today though, a Partey deal might or might not happen (my bet is it won't given the transfer deadline), and Jorginho is rumoured with a move to the club. Seems a bit odd that Jorginho is mentioned this late in the transfer window, but seeing as Arsenal have been doing deals with Chelsea in a couple of transfer windows already, you never know.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,354
    Manchester Utd vs Tottenham should be fun.
    6 nice games today some starting at the same time.

My goodness!!! So much has happened since i last commented on this particular thread. The Covid situation trumps everything without saying.

But from a footballing point of view? It is hard to watch what is now happening to my beloved Norwich City. Handing £15 Million back to Sky due to Coronavirus, having to sell Jamal Lewis to Newcastle to off set that, relegation, now selling Ben Godfrey to Everton, Barcelona looking at Max Aarons and Leeds sniffing around Todd Cantwell?

It is tough to see our home grown talent from our Academy being lost. I just hope the board stick with Daniel Farke? He knows what he is doing despite all this being stacked against him.

Chin up my boys! OTBC!!!! \m/ :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    My goodness!!! So much has happened since i last commented on this particular thread. The Covid situation trumps everything without saying.

But from a footballing point of view? It is hard to watch what is now happening to my beloved Norwich City. Handing £15 Million back to Sky due to Coronavirus, having to sell Jamal Lewis to Newcastle to off set that, relegation, now selling Ben Godfrey to Everton, Barcelona looking at Max Aarons and Leeds sniffing around Todd Cantwell?

It is tough to see our home grown talent from our Academy being lost. I just hope the board stick with Daniel Farke? He knows what he is doing despite all this being stacked against him.

Chin up my boys! OTBC!!!! \m/ :-bd

How have Norwich looked so far this season, @RogueAgent? Really like Daniel Farke, so I hope it works out for him and the team, even if they lose some talent.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    I know I'm probably going to jinx us in the second half but Spurs 4-1 up at Old Trafford at half time. Mind you, I've never seen United defend like a Sunday League team. OGS won't last much longer with performances like this.

Still, COYS :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I know I'm probably going to jinx us in the second half but Spurs 4-1 up at Old Trafford at half time. Mind you, I've never seen United defend like a Sunday League team. OGS won't last much longer with performances like this.

Ole has no idea how to coach a team he rely's too much on individual ability he is getting found out this season.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    5-1 now. Can we beat the 6 Man City scored 8 years ago
    What the hell was Maguire thinking here?

Because of his price he is untouchable under Ole though Baily and Lindelof were work better as a pair. Maguire concentration is terrible.

I know too little about Aouar to have an opinion of him, but from what I've read earlier in the transfer window, Arsenal and Arteta would really like to sign him.

From what I've seen on Twitter yesterday and today though, a Partey deal might or might not happen (my bet is it won't given the transfer deadline), and Jorginho is rumoured with a move to the club. Seems a bit odd that Jorginho is mentioned this late in the transfer window, but seeing as Arsenal have been doing deals with Chelsea in a couple of transfer windows already, you never know.

True. Anything's possible. Arsenal really need those midfield signings though.

Because of his price he is untouchable under Ole though Baily and Lindelof were work better as a pair. Maguire concentration is terrible.

It's just so bizarre. Shaw looks to have it (sort of) under control…

Ole has no idea how to coach a team he rely's too much on individual ability he is getting found out this season.

True. Individual brilliance is what Ole consistently counts on. It's good, but it doesn't give a coach extra gear when things go bad.

True. Individual brilliance is what Ole consistently counts on. It's good, but it doesn't give a coach extra gear when things go bad.

Ole has to go after this I don't think things will improve.
    6-1. But don't worry United fans, there's always a chance in the second set ;)

Ole has to go after this I don't think things will improve.

Yeah, I think his job might be more shaky now after this kind of result.
    I laughed more at this than I probably should! :))

Looks like the writing's on the wall regarding Ole's manager career at United...
    edited October 2020 Posts: 294
    Man Utd - "We've just turned in the worst performance of the season"

Liverpool - "Hold my beer..."

=))

=))

Unbelievable! 8-}
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,354
    jobo wrote: »

=))

Unbelievable! 8-}

Unbelievably Unbelievable..... :-O
    Records being smashed all over the place.
    Deadline day and Man United being linked with a lot of players, Cavani and Tellos look locked though Sancho ain't happening, Dembele from Barca looks as though it may happen which is a crazy move for someone who is constantly in the treatment room.
    A bit surprising, but Arsenal and Thomas Partey might still happen, by the looks of things. Would be great if they could get that deal over the line in time.
    A bit surprising, but Arsenal and Thomas Partey might still happen, by the looks of things. Would be great if they could get that deal over the line in time.

I read Side Show Bob 2 maybe going to Hertha Berlin on loan, Partey is a good player.

I read Side Show Bob 2 maybe going to Hertha Berlin on loan, Partey is a good player.

Yes, it looks like Guendouzi will spend the season at Herta. He's clearly fallen out with Arteta, and I can't see him returning really.

Yes, it looks like Guendouzi will spend the season at Herta. He's clearly fallen out with Arteta, and I can't see him returning really.

He is still young so you never know.