"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MJH1973 wrote: »
    Only Utd could get a penalty after the final whistle.

Feel for Brighton, they deserved so much more.

We deserved to lose we are shocking at the moment, Ole has to do something about the defence as in get a decent coach in lol
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,354
    Man City vs Leicester should be a good watch.

Schalke have sacked manager David Wagner after his side conceded 11 goals in their opening two games of the 2020/21 Bundesliga campaign.

Schalke were thrashed 8-0 by last season's champions Bayern Munich in their first game last weekend and suffered a 3-1 loss against Werder Bremen on Saturday.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Reckon the Sheffield vs Leeds game could be a good one too.
    I wanna see if Leeds keep up the pressure, like they have in their opening games. I think they could be a team to watch this season.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,295
    Benny wrote: »
    Reckon the Sheffield vs Leeds game could be a good one too.
    I wanna see if Leeds keep up the pressure, like they have in their opening games. I think they could be a team to watch this season.

I've yet to meet someone (who has an interest in English football that is) who's not excited to see Leeds back up in the Prem!
    Man City vs Leicester should be a good watch.

Schalke have sacked manager David Wagner after his side conceded 11 goals in their opening two games of the 2020/21 Bundesliga campaign.

Schalke were thrashed 8-0 by last season's champions Bayern Munich in their first game last weekend and suffered a 3-1 loss against Werder Bremen on Saturday.

David Wagner and Schalke had a terrible run in the latter part of last season, and I see a few football journalists I follow on Twitter were surprised he was still manager there going into this season. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next.
    Some good league cup games today.
    Burnley Man City
    Brighton Man Utd
    Everton West Ham
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Felt the need to rant about this - How VAR can penalise Joel Ward for a penalty during Palace/Everton, but not give Palace a penalty after Zaha’s ball clearly hit DCL ON HIS HANDS is baffling.
    Some good league cup games today.
    Burnley Man City
    Brighton Man Utd
    Everton West Ham

Indeed!
    Felt the need to rant about this - How VAR can penalise Joel Ward for a penalty during Palace/Everton, but not give Palace a penalty after Zaha’s ball clearly hit DCL ON HIS HANDS is baffling.

It's just so inconsistent, isn't it…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Haha, some good jokes in this one! :))

The Kepa joke had me laughing lol

Haha, yes! I must say I feel bad for Kepa though. Imagine being in his situation, the most expensive goalkeeper of all time and making those mistakes. Can't be easy for him…
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,394

Haha, yes! I must say I feel bad for Kepa though. Imagine being in his situation, the most expensive goalkeeper of all time and making those mistakes. Can't be easy for him…

He clearly has talent though its just not worked out, and Lampard seems to have a clear idea what type of player he wants around the dressing room. Kepa will do well else where, he is still very young for a keeper.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,354

Some of the penalties and non penalties have been bizarre decisions.
    The FA have told the refs to use more common sense now.

Liverpool v Arsenal again in the LC today.
    Hopefully both teams field decent starters, and we win.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,394

'Good bye Leejz Chup dreams'

That was crazy :))

He clearly has talent though its just not worked out, and Lampard seems to have a clear idea what type of player he wants around the dressing room. Kepa will do well else where, he is still very young for a keeper.

Indeed. Chelsea might try and send him on loan – maybe to a club in Spain. They're certainly not going to get the same fee they originally bought him for!

'Good bye Leejz Chup dreams'

That was crazy :))

He's really not nailing the most important aspect of Arteta's looks – the hair!
    In the category of bizarre/hilarious transfer announcement videos: Here's MKE Ankaragücü's transfer announcement of Torgeir Børven:

• edited October 2020 Posts: 17,295
    Sitting 90+ minutes all nervous was worth it just to see Maitland-Niles take a pen. Lovely stuff!

Bernd Leno man of the match, though. He was brilliant tonight.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Sitting 90+ minutes all nervous was worth it just to see Maitland-Niles take a pen. Lovely stuff!

Exactly! Leno won it for Arsenal. He was exceptional. Yes! Maitland-Niles' penalty was full of confidence. I don't know, I've never seen Willock as a serious player. Look how he was casual with his spot kick.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Exactly! Leno won it for Arsenal. He was exceptional. Yes! Maitland-Niles' penalty was full of confidence. I don't know, I've never seen Willock as a serious player. Look how he was casual with his spot kick.

I do wonder if Willock has a way into this team. I do like him as a player, but he has some serious competition. Still young of course.

Man City next opponent…I think Arsenal's run in the cup ends there.

I do wonder if Willock has a way into this team. I do like him as a player, but he has some serious competition. Still young of course.

Yeah, but considering how inconsistent City are at the moment, I think Arsenal have a chance. Not saying it's certain for Arsenal, but Liverpool are better than City at the moment and Arsenal just knocked them out. So I think Arsenal should go into the City game with some confidence.

Yeah, but considering how inconsistent City are at the moment, I think Arsenal have a chance. Not saying it's certain for Arsenal, but Liverpool are better than City at the moment and Arsenal just knocked them out. So I think Arsenal should go into the City game with some confidence.

It will depend on the team City field of course. Several key players didn't feature for Liverpool tonight. A City team of more or less regular starting eleven players (which I wouldn't be surprised to see, to be honest), and I think Arsenal will really struggle.

It's great for Arsenal to get another win though. It's all about performances and every little (or big) result they can grab to build confidence.

It will depend on the team City field of course. Several key players didn't feature for Liverpool tonight. A City team of more or less regular starting eleven players (which I wouldn't be surprised to see, to be honest), and I think Arsenal will really struggle.

It's great for Arsenal to get another win though. It's all about performances and every little (or big) result they can grab to build confidence.

Yeah, true. You have a point.

Leno made some great saves. I haven't seen a performance like his in a long time.
    Could be another trophy for Arsenal.

Yeah, true. You have a point.

All we can do is hope that Arteta outsmarts Pep, and the players deliver a 10/10 performance.

Leno made some great saves. I haven't seen a performance like his in a long time.
    Could be another trophy for Arsenal.

It was a standout performance, that's for sure.

I struggle to see Arsenal beat City, so the likelihood of another trophy is slim, IMO.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,394

SKY Sports response to online abuse
    Liverpool's Sadio Mane has tested positive for coronavirus and is currently self-isolating.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Chelsea 4 - Crystal Palace 0
    Great win by the Blues.

It's incredible the abuse some people get online. I often find myself thinking about what those who write these things get from behaving this way…
    No Aouar deal for Arsenal it seems:

It's incredible the abuse some people get online. I often find myself thinking about what those who write these things get from behaving this way…

I think attention should be brought to the senseless abuse, because that's what it is senseless. One host pointed it out that if they were walking past them in the street many would not dare say anything.

When I have been out running or cycling I have had the odd abusive comment from people as they speed past in a car, funny it never happens much when people are walking past me in the street. Basically its cowardice, people will abuse others when they have an escape route or anonymity.