"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

RogueAgent wrote: »
    My goodness!!! So much has happened since i last commented on this particular thread. The Covid situation trumps everything without saying.

But from a footballing point of view? It is hard to watch what is now happening to my beloved Norwich City. Handing £15 Million back to Sky due to Coronavirus, having to sell Jamal Lewis to Newcastle to off set that, relegation, now selling Ben Godfrey to Everton, Barcelona looking at Max Aarons and Leeds sniffing around Todd Cantwell?

It is tough to see our home grown talent from our Academy being lost. I just hope the board stick with Daniel Farke? He knows what he is doing despite all this being stacked against him.

Chin up my boys! OTBC!!!! \m/ :-bd

How have Norwich looked so far this season, @RogueAgent? Really like Daniel Farke, so I hope it works out for him and the team, even if they lose some talent.

Not great to be honest. Frustrating thing is the Turkish Champions are after Onel Hernandez! Team is being hijacked and we are helpless to stop it. Obviously for Hernandez it would be an opportunity for European competition?

Only time will tell, but I have full faith in Daniel Farke. OTBC!!!! Hows things with your team?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Deadline Day 2020 | Dyche, Solskjær, Bruce, Lampard and Redknapp

A bit surprising, but Arsenal and Thomas Partey might still happen, by the looks of things. Would be great if they could get that deal over the line in time.

I read Side Show Bob 2 maybe going to Hertha Berlin on loan, Partey is a good player.

Yes, it looks like Guendouzi will spend the season at Herta. He's clearly fallen out with Arteta, and I can't see him returning really.

He is still young so you never know.

Yes, it could be that he might still have a future at the club, but he's apparently not been allowed to train with the first team either…
    My goodness!!! So much has happened since i last commented on this particular thread. The Covid situation trumps everything without saying.

But from a footballing point of view? It is hard to watch what is now happening to my beloved Norwich City. Handing £15 Million back to Sky due to Coronavirus, having to sell Jamal Lewis to Newcastle to off set that, relegation, now selling Ben Godfrey to Everton, Barcelona looking at Max Aarons and Leeds sniffing around Todd Cantwell?

It is tough to see our home grown talent from our Academy being lost. I just hope the board stick with Daniel Farke? He knows what he is doing despite all this being stacked against him.

Chin up my boys! OTBC!!!! \m/ :-bd

How have Norwich looked so far this season, @RogueAgent? Really like Daniel Farke, so I hope it works out for him and the team, even if they lose some talent.

Not great to be honest. Frustrating thing is the Turkish Champions are after Onel Hernandez! Team is being hijacked and we are helpless to stop it. Obviously for Hernandez it would be an opportunity for European competition?

Only time will tell, but I have full faith in Daniel Farke. OTBC!!!! Hows things with your team?

Surely with all those outgoings, they should be able to attract some talent as well? It's no doubt worrying that those players have left/might leave though.

Arsenal are doing better than you'd expect after Arteta took charge. He looks to have a very clear idea what he wants from the team, the players and the board/owners – though time will tell if he will succeed with the long term objectives.

As for my "other" team, Rosenborg, it's been a disastrous season – to no surprise for any supporter. But after they appointed Åge Hareide (former Norway and Denmark manager) during the summer, they look to have found some form. They might finish second if all goes well.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,354
    Thomas Partey's move to Arsenal was the most expensive transfer on Deadline Day despite Man United completing four new signings.
    Time to party Torgeirtrap ?????

Thomas Partey's move to Arsenal was the most expensive transfer on Deadline Day despite Man United completing four new signings.

Hopefully! Will be interesting to see how he'll adapt to the team and the league, but he probably needs a bit of time before we see the best of him.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 7,500

Hopefully! Will be interesting to see how he'll adapt to the team and the league, but he probably needs a bit of time before we see the best of him.

He is an excellent player, for sure. Quite underrated in my opinion. He has great strength and work rate meanwhile being very composed on the ball and clever in his distributions. I would be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a succes.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,295
    jobo wrote: »

He is an excellent player, for sure. Quite underrated in my opinion. He has great strength and work rate meanwhile being very composed on the ball and clever in his distributions. I would be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a succes.

These are all qualities Arsenal lack in midfield, so it's no wonder why they wanted him.
    Mesut Ozil offers to pay for Gunnersaurus to stay at Arsenal
    Ozil: "I'm offering to reimburse Arsenal with the full salary of our big green guy as long as I will be an Arsenal player, so Jerry can continue his job that he loves so much."

skysports-mesut-ozil-gunnersaurus_5120440.jpg?20201006155125
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12091766/mesut-ozil-offers-to-pay-for-gunnersaurus-to-stay-at-arsenal
    Ozil: "I'm offering to reimburse Arsenal with the full salary of our big green guy as long as I will be an Arsenal player, so Jerry can continue his job that he loves so much."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12091766/mesut-ozil-offers-to-pay-for-gunnersaurus-to-stay-at-arsenal

On paper a very nice gesture to someone who's been at the club a long time, though it makes you wonder if Özil's PR team saw an opportunity here.

Özil has apparently been left out of Arsenal's Europa League squad.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Thank God for Partey, Haha
    @Torgeirtrap I'm really struggling to understand Ozil's Arsenal situation.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

It's very strange, isn't it. It looks like Arsenal are desperate to move Özil on, though he is willing to sit out his contract period (and who wouldn't on those wages). Arteta picks the players he want to use at any given time, and Özil doesn't look to be one of them.

It's very strange, isn't it. It looks like Arsenal are desperate to move Özil on, though he is willing to sit out his contract period (and who wouldn't on those wages). Arteta picks the players he want to use at any given time, and Özil doesn't look to be one of them.

Yeah. And Arteta is very Bold to leave his former team mate out.

Yes, you would think that Özil would have a better shot at regular playing time with Arteta in charge. But Arteta has made some very bold decisions in the short time he's been in charge; the Guendouzi situation is another example.

Yes, you would think that Özil would have a better shot at regular playing time with Arteta in charge. But Arteta has made some very bold decisions in the short time he's been in charge; the Guendouzi situation is another example.

True. The bold decisions can be bad for players, but good for fans.

Indeed, though you see plenty of fans online that are upset Özil isn't playing! I think Özil has some qualities that would benefit Arteta's Arsenal too, but it's a team that is very much relying on the players making an effort in both ends of the pitch. You won't expect Özil to put in that many defensive runs in a game, but you see Aubameyang etc. making those runs.

Indeed, though you see plenty of fans online that are upset Özil isn't playing! I think Özil has some qualities that would benefit Arteta's Arsenal too, but it's a team that is very much relying on the players making an effort in both ends of the pitch. You won't expect Özil to put in that many defensive runs in a game, but you see Aubameyang etc. making those runs.

Exactly. Ozil has never believed in defence.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    The story of Gunnersauraus has reminded me of this brilliant cartoon from The Guardian's David Squires =))

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/may/15/david-squires-on-the-north-bank-redemption-arsene-wenger-arsenal

On paper a very nice gesture to someone who's been at the club a long time, though it makes you wonder if Özil's PR team saw an opportunity here.

Yeah it is a nice gesture, especially in these crazy days if he decided to do it himself, not some PR team, but i guess we'll never know for sure who ?

Yeah it is a nice gesture, especially in these crazy days if he decided to do it himself, not some PR team, but i guess we'll never know for sure who ?

Difficult to tell, really.
    England vs Belgium will be interesting.
    Anyone gonna watch it ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    England vs Belgium will be interesting.
    Anyone gonna watch it ?

I will got day off what time is kick off not checked, Debruyne complementing England the other day though I expect Belgium to win this one.
    What do you guys think of what Liverpool and Man Utd are championing with regards to less teams in the Premier League dropping it down to 18 teams? And also getting rid of the EFL cup which i assume meant Carabeau cup & Community Shield?
    What do you guys think of what Liverpool and Man Utd are championing with regards to less teams in the Premier League dropping it down to 18 teams? And also getting rid of the EFL cup which i assume meant Carabeau cup & Community Shield?

Really? Is that even possible?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,394
    @RogueAgent Just been reading about this story.
    Man United, Liverpool back radical EFL overhaul plan - sources
    https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4205701/man-unitedliverpool-back-radical-efl-overhaul-plan-sources

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Haven't been on here in a while, but as I'm the only person who actually follows the San Marino national team I felt obliged to report its first ever away cleansheet while securing a 0-0 draw at Liechtenstein.

With 17 goal attempts to the hosts' 6 they could have snatched their first ever competitive win too, but given it's their first point in 6 years I suppose it would be paradoxical to complain.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Haven't been on here in a while, but as I'm the only person who actually follows the San Marino national team I felt obliged to report its first ever away cleansheet while securing a 0-0 draw at Liechtenstein.

With 17 goal attempts to the hosts' 6 they could have snatched their first ever competitive win too, but given it's their first point in 6 years I suppose it would be paradoxical to complain.

Congrats at keeping your first ever clean sheet, in England we always remember San Marino for this...

...and England failing to qualify for the World Cup, I watched the game and remember it well.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Congrats at keeping your first ever clean sheet, in England we always remember San Marino for this...

...and England failing to qualify for the World Cup, I watched the game and remember it well.

That used to be the fastest ever World Cup qualifier goal :).
    But my own countryman Benteke managed to score a faster one a few years ago.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming

"Do I NOT like that" ;)
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,394

That used to be the fastest ever World Cup qualifier goal :).
    But my own countryman Benteke managed to score a faster one a few years ago.

Indeed I think the goal versus England is now the second fastest International goal.

---

England V Denmark
    I will watch some of the game before work, this must be the best England Squad for depth I have seen in a very long time.

Early on England not very adventurous...again. Boring game.
    Maguire has a shocker sent of for two yellows, a few minutes later England concede penalty which Ericsson scores. Disaster for England.