NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd pull the trigger on it but I've still not heard the song. Been trying to wait to hear it in the film but part of me wants to go ahead and check it out so I can get my hands on this while it's available.

Oh! Thank Goodness, I thought I was alone. I've still managed to abstain from the song as well, coz I want to hear it for the very first time with Kleinman's visuals, so it leaves a lasting impression on me.

I'm glad it's not just me still after all this time. (Hopefully) not much longer to wait now.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Vinyl looks cool. I bought the Brazilian CD single back in March:

50355366773_846f0fb5f2_o.png

• Great news! My wife will know what to get me for Christmas.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I'd pull the trigger on it but I've still not heard the song. Been trying to wait to hear it in the film but part of me wants to go ahead and check it out so I can get my hands on this while it's available.

Oh! Thank Goodness, I thought I was alone. I've still managed to abstain from the song as well, coz I want to hear it for the very first time with Kleinman's visuals, so it leaves a lasting impression on me.

I'm glad it's not just me still after all this time. (Hopefully) not much longer to wait now.

Yeah, Hopefully....I can't wait.
    Fair play to anyone who hasn't listened to the song yet!

Yeah, it's no easy feat :D
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    QBranch wrote: »
    Vinyl looks cool. I bought the Brazilian CD single back in March:

50355366773_846f0fb5f2_o.png

Brazilian version? Where this came from @QBranch ?
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited September 2020 Posts: 98
    Bootleg records, there's no official promo CDs.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    No biggie.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I love the song so much, but I really wish they'd chosen Jorja Smith. It would've been perfect seeing as she's a British singer with Jamaican heritage.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Billie Eilish Documentary Announces Apple TV Plus Premiere Date
    https://variety.com/2020/music/news/billie-eilish-apple-plus-release-date-1234785320/
    Had my girlfriend (finally) play it and I have to say, I'm largely underwhelmed by how unremarkable the song is. Gave me huge WOTW vibes but at least the vocals were better. Just feels so drab and dull and depressing; there's nothing bombastic or exciting about it. I hope the title sequence is at least strong but I'm not optimistic at this rate, considering the music accompanying it.
    Had my girlfriend (finally) play it and I have to say, I'm largely underwhelmed by how unremarkable the song is. Gave me huge WOTW vibes but at least the vocals were better. Just feels so drab and dull and depressing; there's nothing bombastic or exciting about it. I hope the title sequence is at least strong but I'm not optimistic at this rate, considering the music accompanying it.

Wow! Exactly what I was worried about. From what I've heard, it's a very polarizing Bond song. It's the main reason I'm counting on Kleinman's visuals to make me like it instantly, once I hear it for the very first time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

That was my reaction as well.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    There’s nothing exciting or bombastic when two people break up and part ways after been in love. That’s what the PTS is about in the end. The PTS looks stellar in the trailers anyway and I literally don’t understand how a title song (that comes after) could in any way impact the expectations behind 20 minutes of JB rock n roll...
    matt_u wrote: »
    There’s nothing exciting or bombastic when two people break up and part ways after been in love. That’s what the PTS is about in the end. The PTS looks stellar in the trailers anyway and I literally don’t understand how a title song (that comes after) could in any way impact the expectations behind 20 minutes of JB rock n roll...

I'm aware of what the song's about, I was merely hoping for something different. Besides, not all of us have sifted through everything contained in the PTS and know what to expect. This was a pretty detached listen for me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 10,588
    Not every Bond theme has to be bombastic for me, but I guess everyone has different interpretations of what Bond music is supposed to sound like. To me, Eilish's song completely nails the Bond vibe and does so in an incredibly chilling way. And it subverts expectation the same way YKMN did - they found an artist who people never thought of as fitting the Bond mold, yet both delivered songs that were very Bond but still unique to their individual styles. If every artist they chose sang like Shirley Bassey then the songs themselves would become stale.

I love the bombastic tunes, but I also love songs like YOLT, NDIB, and NTTD. Note how none of these songs are bombastic, but all accompany some of the most bombastic and epic films in the series. I happen to like that juxtaposition but I can understand why it would be jarring to some.

Also, NTTD is indeed a very subtle song. I would say that it does require a few listens to really appreciate the finer musical details that make the song so great, IMO.
    I love those other ones, too, sans this one, it's just what my mind has been reaching out for lately. I should've expected we wouldn't get that as the era reaches its end but sadly, hopes and wishes aside, it hit me the same way WOTW did, with even similar feeling moments. At least the vocals are infinitely better than what Smith produced; it's not an inherently "bad" song at all, it's just flat and unremarkable for me. Maybe it'll have a bit more oomph attached to a good title sequence or when I (hopefully) hear it weaved throughout Zimmer's score.

I'll have to listen to it a few more times before the film's out, maybe I'll warm to it more. All in all, nowhere near the worst, and not even a bad song, per se, but nothing noteworthy or special to me, either.
  • I think that while the song is good, the execution is excessively dour and minimalist (especially the first 2 minutes, after which some life appears). This may very well work fine as a 4-minute breather after a long and intense opening sequence, but the various excellent covers on Youtube suggest the song works just as well if the tempo is kicked up a notch or three.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I agree that NTTD is depressign to listen to, but it makes AWTD feel like WHATTITW by comparison. I can understand EON having a younger audience in mind, but is Eilish really the sound they want (makes me worried as to what they have in store)?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Writings On The Wall is the nadir of the theme tunes not AWTD.

White's song is the worst thing he is likely been involved with but it still opened the film with a bang after that cracking PTS.

Smith's dirge after the best part of SP was like a damp wailing dreary noise in comparison.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869

"FINALLYYYYYYY “no time to die” music video out tomorrow at 9am pt @007 !!!!!!!!!"
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,006
    For the record: In just 1 hour, Billie already has over 1 million “Likes“ on her Instagram post for the NTTD video. This will be huge.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I agree that NTTD is depressign to listen to, but it makes AWTD feel like WHATTITW by comparison. I can understand EON having a younger audience in mind, but is Eilish really the sound they want (makes me worried as to what they have in store)?

Nope. AWTD is a dumpster fire. NTTD is WHATTITW by comparison.
    I really enjoy the title song. It's way better than WOTW and AWTD for me, though not quite on the elite level I consider YKMN and SF to be on. I'm pleased with this aspect of the movie already :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Nope. AWTD is a dumpster fire. NTTD is WHATTITW by comparison.

If only that were true. The lyrics of AWTD make no sense, but at least the song isn’t depressing like NTTD is. I just don’t like the song, that’s it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Of course it's a downer, it's a break up song rather than the kind you pump your fist to. For what it is, I think it's very good and look forward to seeing how well it integrates with the film and visuals.

AWTD on the other hand is just a forgettable generic rock tune. It's the only Bond song that I immediately didn't like upon first listening to, and it never got any better over the years. That it never made a splash in 2008 is pretty deserving.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,438
    09.00 AM in the VS is 00.00 (12.00 AM) in UK (Midnight)/ 01.00 in The Netherlands.

00.00 is no time to die..

CZ2A69VUkAAlqRb.jpg
    00.05 (5 over 12) in Spectre..

Almoost 12hrs from now..