NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,000
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Will the song still be eligible for film awards now that the film has been pushed back?

I don't think so.
    So no Oscar for Billie Eilish.

The song was released in 2020, so it would only be eligible for the 2020 season. But as the movie does not premiere, it won't - and it won't for the movie awards next season.

But it could get nominated for a Grammy.

Not true. The song was still made for the film, therefore its eligible despite the being released a year prior to the film’s release. There’s been instances in the past where songs were released as far back as two years before a film came out but because they were specifically written for the film they were still eligible for nomination.
    The current Academy rule says an eligible song "must be recorded for use in the motion picture prior to any other usage", so recordings released prior to the film will not disqualify a song as long as the film version was recorded before then.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Will the song still be eligible for film awards now that the film has been pushed back?

I don't think so.
    So no Oscar for Billie Eilish.

The song was released in 2020, so it would only be eligible for the 2020 season. But as the movie does not premiere, it won't - and it won't for the movie awards next season.

But it could get nominated for a Grammy.

Not true. The song was still made for the film, therefore its eligible despite the being released a year prior to the film’s release. There’s been instances in the past where songs were released as far back as two years before a film came out but because they were specifically written for the film they were still eligible for nomination.
    The current Academy rule says an eligible song "must be recorded for use in the motion picture prior to any other usage", so recordings released prior to the film will not disqualify a song as long as the film version was recorded before then.

Thanks for the info.

Now I remeber that it would be even possible if the movie came out in Europe in 2020 and in the US in 2021.

Charlie Chaplin won an Oscar for the Best Score für "Limelight" (1952) in 1973.
    The movie was 21 years old then, and the music aswell, of course. But because it was only released in the US over 20 years after the worldwide release, it was eligible for the Oscars in the 70's.
    It has taken a while for me to get used to this song. Now it has now been pegged to the video? I like it much more as you also have a visual reference to the lyrics of the song.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Well, it's JB day, and I just got the email that my Billie Eilish 7 inch vinyl picture disc is on its way!

NTTD_main_b_480x.png?v=1600322784
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    It has taken a while for me to get used to this song. Now it has now been pegged to the video? I like it much more as you also have a visual reference to the lyrics of the song.

Yes, must say it really helped to have the visuals give context to the lyrics.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Billie & her brother live on the Tonight show

Contraband wrote: »
    Billie & her brother live on the Tonight show

The more i hear it, the more i like it! :-bd
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I hope people are buying these to play.

I always despair when someone buys a piece of vinyl, doesn't own a turntable (why) and then sticks it on the wall or whatever.

Vinyl is to be played not used as an ornament.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I buy my vinyl to play as I will with the Billie Eilish single, and I personally like to collect picture discs. I can't say it bothers me too much if people buy them to collect, frame, or whatever else.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I hope people are buying these to play.

I always despair when someone buys a piece of vinyl, doesn't own a turntable (why) and then sticks it on the wall or whatever.

Vinyl is to be played not used as an ornament.

As a big Dream Theater fan, I try to get the collector's edition of whatever new albums of theirs I can, as they usually come with the CDs, a large art book, other goodies, and... the album on vinyl. I don't own a turntable and I'm not sure how often I'd listen to music this way, but unfortunately as a result these records don't see any play. I even have a nice Dream Theater cloth turntable cover, lol.

It would be nice to get all the other goodies without having to also get the vinyls, but anyways... I'm guilty of this. ;P

If you know of any big Dream Theater fans maybe I can ship these to them.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    As an experiment, I combined the clip from the Bond 25 Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album with Eilish’s vocals to create a new version of the song. I thought it sounded rather interesting:

• jake24 wrote: »
    As an experiment, I combined the clip from the Bond 25 Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album with Eilish’s vocals to create a new version of the song. I thought it sounded rather interesting:

Interesting indeed! The change in orchestration took the vibe of the song from Bond to Disney.
    jake24 wrote: »

Interesting indeed! The change in orchestration took the vibe of the song from Bond to Disney.
    I got the Disney vibes as well. The original is far better IMO, but I think the orchestration by RPO is great.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,836
    I love the song even more everytime I hear. Good job on the mashup by the way @jake24.

I'm really looking forward to the title sequence and the songs appearance in the soundtrack.

Live performance from Eilish's live stream concert
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,518
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/hans-zimmer-interview-2020

Interesting that Zimmer picked, and fought for, Billie and Finneas when Barbara et al were lukewarm towards it. Maybe this is common knowledge but I didn't know it.
    Very interesting!
  • I remember when Eilish was on a Russian late night talk show "Evening Urgant" in September 2019, she teased that she had a huge, secret project for next year but couldn't say another word about it.
    so i have Zimmer to blame for the third lukewarm song... fair enough
    I'm surprised people still view the antiquated Oscars with such reverence any more. They're so totally cringe.

Sadly, for this particular Bond fan, Eilish's song has now evaporated into the ether, and the goodwill I showed it earlier this year has gone with it. Without sticking the song on my audio player to refresh my memory, the song is truly forgettable.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Absolutely the last place I'd expect to hear the song play.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

I presume she will be performing her new single, and not NTTD.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Best Song Written For Visual Media
    A Songwriter(s) award. For a song (melody & lyrics) written specifically for a motion picture, television, video games or other visual media, and released for the first time during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.

BEAUTIFUL GHOSTS [FROM CATS]
    Andrew Lloyd Webber & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)

CARRIED ME WITH YOU [FROM ONWARD]
    Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth & Tim Hanseroth, songwriters (Brandi Carlile)

INTO THE UNKNOWN [FROM FROZEN 2]
    Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez, songwriters (Idina Menzel & AURORA)

NO TIME TO DIE [FROM NO TIME TO DIE]
    Billie Eilish O'Connell & Finneas Baird O'Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)

STAND UP [FROM HARRIET]
    Joshuah Brian Campbell & Cynthia Erivo, songwriters (Cynthia Erivo)

The 63rd GRAMMY Awards will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 surround sound on the CBS Television Network, Sunday, Jan. 31, at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm surprised people still view the antiquated Oscars with such reverence any more. They're so totally cringe.

Sadly, for this particular Bond fan, Eilish's song has now evaporated into the ether, and the goodwill I showed it earlier this year has gone with it. Without sticking the song on my audio player to refresh my memory, the song is truly forgettable.

I had finally listened to it earlier this year and genuinely forgot the song 10 or 15 minutes afterward.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

I had finally listened to it earlier this year and genuinely forgot the song 10 or 15 minutes afterward.

Yeah, I can't remember "Goldfinger" either.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Iconic Bond Theme Singer Shares Her Thoughts On Billie Eilish's No Time To Die Track

No one has contributed more hits to the James Bond canon than Dame Shirley Bassey. With three mega hits opening the exploits of James Bond throughout history, she’s as iconic as she is talented. With the more than safe assumption that Dame Bassey knows what goes into a successful theme tune, the fact that she has some thoughts on Billie Eilish’s track for No Time To Die is all the more intriguing. And as it turns out, Shirley Bassey is actually a fan of the song.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2559849/iconic-bond-theme-singer-shares-her-thoughts-on-billie-eilishs-no-time-to-die-track