NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Question for those who didn’t like the song when it first came out, but have now listened to the score: Does the score help bounce the song up for you, or do you still not like it?

I’ve always liked it, but hearing how it’s woven into the score really enhances it for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've always liked it but is benefits even more in the context of the score.

Being a part of the whole thing helps. it doesn't feel like a separate entity, which we haven't had since CR really.

Having BE collaborating with Zimmer was really a smart move.
    EON should have made that a policy to have the artist and composer collaborate. I imagine fans were pretty vocal about the lack of it when both LTK and GE came out?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    EON should have made that a policy to have the artist and composer collaborate. I imagine fans were pretty vocal about the lack of it when both LTK and GE came out?

I imagine so and I agree they should have to work with the composer, this example illustrates that, I think this and YKMN are my favourite songs of the era and there is a reason for that as well as they are good songs.

They are thematically and musically part of the film as opposed to a song on the credits. If only Newman hadn't been so precious about incorporating SF into his score.

I don’t think Newman was against it, it’s just EON didn’t enforce it. And why should Newman be singled out when it’s happened with other composers? Just more unnecessary Newman bashing.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58680995

I don't know if this has been posted yet.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 2
    The last question makes me wonder,
    The speedo scene stands out for a lot of people.

Finneas: He's pretty ripped.

Billie: [sighs] I love Daniel Craig.
    Could we ever see miss Elish as a Bond girl herself? Let's see how her career matures.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Question for those who’ve seen the movie. Has the title song been altered in any way for the film’s title sequence? Any verses cut or instruments enhanced?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The last verse after the big note has been cut so literally the last 30 seconds of the four minute song.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    The last verse after the big note has been cut so literally the last 30 seconds of the four minute song.
    Shame, I love that part. Is the end guitar note from the Bond theme still there?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Judging purely from today's first-ever viewing of the movie: theme song was okay, but nothing spectacular. Even instantly forgettable. Better than the last one. But then, I never liked any from the Craig period particularly.

Now the song used over the end titles, also employed as part of the score during the movie, is an entirely different story. Although (or maybe because) it's 52 years old. And a constant candidate for my favourite Bond song (not theme).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Shame, I love that part. Is the end guitar note from the Bond theme still there?

Yes.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I enjoyed the song much more within the context of the title sequence and the film in general. It matches the tone of the film immensely well
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the song much more within the context of the title sequence and the film in general. It matches the tone of the film immensely well

Yeah, I thought it worked well. And I'm sure it brought in some of the young crowd, and there's nothing wrong with doing it for that at all.

Funnily enough, having seen it, I kind of think the casting of Billie Eilish was perhaps a little off. Craig's run starts with him as a hotheaded 'young' agent in CR, and yet for that one we got an ageing rocker with a voice like he smokes cigarettes in his sleep doing the song from Bond's POV; and now for Craig's final Bond film where he's a mellowed, retired agent in his late middle age we get a song by an 18 year-old :) Maybe it would have worked better the other way around?
    Imagine NTTD having a song by a sort of Johnny Cash type, looking back on his life, that sort of thing.
  • I meant to add in my last posting that I side with those voicing huge disappointment with Billie Eilish's NTTD theme tune. It would have been better as a purely orchestral number, since the young chanteuse's indecipherable words in any case rendered them irrelevant.
    I meant to add in my last posting that I side with those voicing huge disappointment with Billie Eilish's NTTD theme tune. It would have been better as a purely orchestral number, since the young chanteuse's indecipherable words in any case rendered them irrelevant.

“indecipherable”?
  • MEA CULPA, MakeshiftPython! UNdecipherable, of course. I've liberally sprinkled the sackcloth with ashes ...
    Either way, I still cannot make out most of her lyrics.
    I’m terrible at picking up lyrics in most pop music, but I had zero trouble understanding what she sang.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Whether you like her voice (or the song itself) is subjective of course, but I can't fathom having any difficulty making out the lyrics.
  • Yeah the singing is pretty slow and clear in the mix, I had no trouble understanding her lyrics.
    I like this song. It's sexy and Bondian. I like Billie Eilish's voice too, especially coming after Sam Smith's.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I think the only thing I'd change in the mix is how loud the percussion is in the second half. I feel like the song needs more of a lift there. Her recent live performance of it comes across that way because her live drummer is mixed much louder.
  • I’m terrible at picking up lyrics in most pop music, but I had zero trouble understanding what she sang.
    Dear MakeshiftPython … so, in addition to your reptilian aspirations, you also possess the hearing of a bat. I guess I should congratulate you! For the record, I've just bought a bucketful of 'Earex' ...

• mattjoes wrote: »
    I like this song. It's sexy and Bondian. I like Billie Eilish's voice too, especially coming after Sam Smith's.
    I agree it's 'Bondian', mattjoes, but a glimpse of Billie Eilish's photo - for me - killed all thoughts of it being 'sexy'. Sorry - very un-PC, I know, but the truth. 100% agree with you opinion of Sam Smith's lacklustre 'effort'.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    In light of your glib response, I think you'll find yourself quite in the minority here @Purplecipher. Glad to hear you've taken the proper steps to keep up with the rest of us.
  • Minion - at my advanced age ... I saw Dr. No during the first week of its release - it surprises me not one jot that I'm in the minority re Ms Eilish's (lack of) vocal abilities. Thanks for communicating - it's always a joy to hear from anyone ...!! :)
    Minion - at my advanced age ... I saw Dr. No during the first week of its release - it surprises me not one jot that I'm in the minority re Ms Eilish's (lack of) vocal abilities. Thanks for communicating - it's always a joy to hear from anyone ...!! :)
    Purplecipher, given you've been a Bond fan for so long, feel free to join us in the original fans thread where we share memories of going to a lot of the earlier films and through the changing times. Nobody judging you on spelling or grammar or any talk of Billie Eilish that I know of over there.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    In the title sequence we saw the DB5 going underwater. I suppose that's what Bond did to the DB5 after he left the train station. He drove it into the sea so he can disappear and people think he is dead.
  • Minion - at my advanced age ... I saw Dr. No during the first week of its release - it surprises me not one jot that I'm in the minority re Ms Eilish's (lack of) vocal abilities.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Minion - at my advanced age ... I saw Dr. No during the first week of its release - it surprises me not one jot that I'm in the minority re Ms Eilish's (lack of) vocal abilities. Thanks for communicating - it's always a joy to hear from anyone ...!! :)
    Purplecipher, given you've been a Bond fan for so long, feel free to join us in the original fans thread where we share memories of going to a lot of the earlier films and through the changing times. Nobody judging you on spelling or grammar or any talk of Billie Eilish that I know of over there.

Thank you, BT3366, for that invitation. I shall take a look and contribute, if I feel I have anything of value to offer.