Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    All I can do is repeat the scientific fact, demonstrated again and again, that antibiotics do not fight viruses. It's simple biochemistry, really.
    Drinking bleach will kill any virus you get. In fact, once you drink a sufficient amount, no virus will ever bother you again. ;)

Technically the truth!
    Same for drain cleaner. Just ask Angela Scoular.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes. What an awful, horrible way to kill yourself.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

What does chemtrails, the WTC, tin foil hats and Angela Scoular have to do with the virus again?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

What does chemtrails, the WTC, tin foil hats and Angela Scoular have to do with the virus again?

I'm not mixing these two issues. You are.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    We get it you all hate Trump. I don't particularly like the guy either. But America is doing pretty good given that media two weeks ago was just stating that we had over 5million confirmed cases. Death rate is relativity low compared to the confirmed cases. And can we even trust the confirmed cases? Just this week, our football teams were getting alot of false positives out of NJ testing center.

This has little to do with trump, other than he happens to be the president and thus responsible for your government 's actions. And those have been unclear, contradictory and unproductive. Which brings us to your numbers. 6 million infected people and counting is no mean feat. As the virus is still raging I wouldn't start talking about the percentage of Americans infected, but for now I think it would roughly amount to 2 percent. That is pretty bad if you ask me. You say 'survival rate'. Well, most countries talk of mortality rate. With corona that's been around 1% of infected people. In the US, with almost 180.000 recorded deaths,. That roughly translates to 3%. I don't see how 3% deaths is better than 1%. On the whole this means your government is doing a shitty job. Comparable to none other. America first, so to speak.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This has little to do with trump, other than he happens to be the president and thus responsible for your government 's actions.
    But... he's NOT responsible. He even said so.....
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Canada has agreed to buy more than 100 million Covid-19 vaccines from Novavax Inc. and Johnson & Johnson, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday.

NVX-CoV2373 is currently in Phase 2 testing in countries including the U.S., Australia and South Africa. Novavax said it could provide the vaccine as early as June 2021.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/trudeau-unveils-covid-19-vaccine-162844469.html

The Victorian government is facing a potential class action expected to be to the tune of several billion dollars brought by the businesses that have been shut down during the state’s stage four restrictions.
    https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/vic-class-action-233952091.html
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Not to be overtly political (yet, again!!!), but unintended or not, @Thunderfinger’s Robert Kennedy Jr. post raises a major issue that has had me concerned for some time now. Specifically, with anti-vaxxers and science deniers having such sway over a growing segment of the population here in the US, many people may refuse to take a COVID-19 vaccine even when it actually becomes available.

While some hold-outs are normal (many people don’t get the recommended annual flu shots after all), this could become a major political issue if people have to provide “proof” that they have taken such a vaccine before they can be re-admitted to places of employment and the like. As a way of comparison, in the past, some of my work involved going to medical clinics where I had a small level of patient contact. And every year, I would have to provide documentation, that I had – indeed – taken my annual flu shot. In short, no flu shot….no work.

The same people that scream at store clerks about having to put on a simple mask before entry, are not going to voluntarily run to their GP for a vaccine. And speared on by Trump (who denies science and common sense at every turn), this could get ugly. After all I live in a country where (in early August) several boaters defied official warnings and motored over to a returning Dragon crewed spacecraft and risked Nitrogen Tetroxide poisoning so that could they wave “Trump/Pence 2020” banners.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2020/08/trump-supporter.html

Additional questions – still to be answered, concern who pays for the vaccine? Those without health insurance tend to be the poorest among us – yet they were also (ironically) among those that were considered essential workers during the height of the pandemic. And even among those that can get the vaccine, who gets it first? Heath care workers, most certainly, but that still leaves major decisions to be made. For example, older people are more vulnerable to COVID-19, but younger employees may be seen as more essential to getting the economy re-started.

In short, the development of a COVID-19 vaccine may be the easy part. The real societal and governmental heaving lifting may actually start after that. And that process will not be easy or happen overnight.

My two cents.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    We get it you all hate Trump. I don't particularly like the guy either. But America is doing pretty good given that media two weeks ago was just stating that we had over 5million confirmed cases. Death rate is relativity low compared to the confirmed cases. And can we even trust the confirmed cases? Just this week, our football teams were getting alot of false positives out of NJ testing center.

This has little to do with trump, other than he happens to be the president and thus responsible for your government 's actions. And those have been unclear, contradictory and unproductive. Which brings us to your numbers. 6 million infected people and counting is no mean feat. As the virus is still raging I wouldn't start talking about the percentage of Americans infected, but for now I think it would roughly amount to 2 percent. That is pretty bad if you ask me. You say 'survival rate'. Well, most countries talk of mortality rate. With corona that's been around 1% of infected people. In the US, with almost 180.000 recorded deaths,. That roughly translates to 3%. I don't see how 3% deaths is better than 1%. On the whole this means your government is doing a shitty job. Comparable to none other. America first, so to speak.

The CDC released some interesting numbers today. Of all the total deaths in America, about 6 % were Covid only deaths. 94% had underlying health conditions, and Covid that contributed to their passing. The does not account for lag time.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/31/metro/cdc-most-covid-19-deaths-us-involved-underlying-health-conditions/
    The CDC released some interesting numbers today. Of all the total deaths in America, about 6 % were Covid only deaths. 94% had underlying health conditions, and Covid that contributed to their passing. The does not account for lag time.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/31/metro/cdc-most-covid-19-deaths-us-involved-underlying-health-conditions/
    The CDC is presently controlled by the mob bosses occupying our White House. Believe what you choose to at this point.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    And just to add some perspective: the USA's daily case count has dropped from nearly 80,000 per day to about 39,000 currently. During the USA's March/April peak, they were recording 35,000 to 39,000 daily cases on average (a number that only Brazil and India have reached outside of the USA). So it is quite amusing and strange to see people celebrating this drop when knowing they've only dropped to the same level as the first peak of March/April. If you guys suddenly record a 3rd peak, you could very well reach 100,000 daily cases.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

The CDC is presently controlled by the mob bosses occupying our White House. Believe what you choose to at this point.

I've had that discussion here in my country as well. I'll give you some examples about 'underlying health conditions'. Let's take a 40y/o cancer patient. He's recovering from his treatment, but alas he catches covid and dies. Now, in the books he's one patient with an underlying condition. That implies he was going to die anyway. But was he? Or the sixty y/o with 'sugar'. That is an underlying health condition. But in both cases the patients did not need to die from that condition at all. Sadly their lives were cut short by covid, but the cdc says, basically, that their death was inevitable. Or at least that's how people (you as well) seem to interpret these numbers. The 'underlying health condition' tells you nothing. It only means the victims had a lower defense than a fully healthy person. It would be interesting if they gave those numbers as well: how many people officially have a 'health condition' that would actually count for these statistics. I wouldn't be surprised if that number was around 30% of the population. But I've never seen any statistics like that, and the cdc doesn't specify any further. So all I can say is that these numbers tell absutely nothing.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

For those that live outside of the US, you may be interested to know that the above report has been “utilized” by various conspiracy theorist over the past few days. In their line of reasoning, the report seems to indicate that only about 10,000 people have really died from COVID-19 – not 180,000. Naturally, the Trump administration has picked up and amplified this – as well as other conspiracies in the last 24 hours.
    Dwayne wrote: »

For those that live outside of the US, you may be interested to know that the above report has been “utilized” by various conspiracy theorist over the past few days. In their line of reasoning, the report seems to indicate that only about 10,000 people have really died from COVID-19 – not 180,000. Naturally, the Trump administration has picked up and amplified this – as well as other conspiracies in the last 24 hours.

Yep. Thanks.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Obviously it seems impossible for people to work together to help combat this pandemic.

Never underestimate human stupidity:

The US will not join the global vaccine effort against coronavirus because it is led by the WHO.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/01/us-wont-join-global-coronavirus-vaccine-effort-because-its-led-by-the-who/#5af3752f5876
    Obviously it seems impossible for people to work together to help combat this pandemic.

Never underestimate human stupidity:

The US will not join the global vaccine effort against coronavirus because it is led by the WHO.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/01/us-wont-join-global-coronavirus-vaccine-effort-because-its-led-by-the-who/#5af3752f5876

This is disgraceful. I'm embarrassed to be a US citizen.
    facepalm2.jpg
    facepalm2.jpg

'Zacktly.
    Dwayne Johnson posted on his Instagram that he, his wife & two daughters all tested positive for coronavirus about 2.5 weeks ago. He says they've managed to fight through it and all four or them have now tested negative.
    Some good news......

COVID-19 treatment: Steroids linked to lower death rate in critical patients
    A new study has found a link between a cheap, readily available steroid treatment and a lower death rate in critically ill COVID-19 patients.
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/covid19-treatment-steroids-linked-to-lower-death-rate-in-critical-patients/news-story/16b895f6429b5dc2ec846100cb329c24
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Berlusconi tested positive for Covid, he’s now in hospital with the first symptoms of the infamous interstitial pneumonia. He organized a big party in this Sardinia mansion (the one famous for bunga bunga) August 15th.
    As a matter of principle, I do not wish anyone to die and especially do not advocate killing a person...unless we're talking dictators (which I'd consider free game), and Berlusconi isn't one of them. That being said, it doesn't mean I'd feign sympathy if nature takes its course.
    As a matter of principle, I do not wish anyone to die and especially do not advocate killing a person...unless we're talking dictators (which I'd consider free game), and Berlusconi isn't one of them. That being said, it doesn't mean I'd feign sympathy if nature takes its course.

Berlusconi came very close to beeing a dictator anyway.
    Over half a million children in the USA have tested positive for coronavirus. That roughly equates to 1 in 200 (0,68%) kids diagnosed with Covid-19 from the total amount of children in the US population.
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).
    340,000 deaths reached on May 23rd (2 days later).
    350,000 deaths reached on May 26th (3 days later).
    360,000 deaths reached on May 28th (2 days later).
    370,000 deaths reached on May 30th (2 days later).
    380,000 deaths reached on June 2nd (3 days later).
    390,000 deaths reached on June 4th (2 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (2 days later).
    410,000 deaths reached on June 9th (3 days later).
    420,000 deaths reached on June 11th (2 days later).
    430,000 deaths reached on June 13th (2 days later).
    440,000 deaths reached on June 16th (3 days later).
    450,000 deaths reached on June 17th (1 day later).
    460,000 deaths reached on June 19th (2 days later).
    470,000 deaths reached on June 21st (2 days later).
    480,000 deaths reached on June 23rd (2 days later).
    490,000 deaths reached on June 25th (2 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (2 days later).
    510,000 deaths reached on June 30th (3 days later).
    520,000 deaths reached on July 2nd (2 days later).
    530,000 deaths reached on July 4th (2 days later).
    540,000 deaths reached on July 6th (2 days later).
    550,000 deaths reached on July 8th (2 days later).
    560,000 deaths reached on July 10th (2 days later).
    570,000 deaths reached on July 12th (2 days later).
    580,000 deaths reached on July 14th (2 days later).
    590,000 deaths reached on July 15th (1 day later).
    600,000 deaths reached on July 17th (2 days later).
    610,000 deaths reached on July 19th (2 days later).
    620,000 deaths reached on July 21st (2 days later).
    630,000 deaths reached on July 22nd (1 day later).
    640,000 deaths reached on July 24th (2 days later).
    650,000 deaths reached on July 26th (2 days later).
    660,000 deaths reached on July 28th (2 days later).
    670,000 deaths reached on July 30th (2 days later).
    680,000 deaths reached on July 31st (1 day later).
    690,000 deaths reached on August 1st (1 day later).
    700,000 deaths reached on August 3rd (2 days later).
    710,000 deaths reached on August 5th (2 days later).
    720,000 deaths reached on August 7th (2 days later).
    730,000 deaths reached on August 8th (1 day later).
    740,000 deaths reached on August 10th (2 days later).
    750,000 deaths reached on August 12th (1 day later).
    760,000 deaths reached on August 13th (1 day later).
    770,000 deaths reached on August 15th (2 days later).
    780,000 deaths reached on August 17th (2 days later).
    790,000 deaths reached on August 19th (2 days later).
    800,000 deaths reached on August 20th (1 day later).
    810,000 deaths reached on August 22nd (2 days later).
    820,000 deaths reached on August 24th (2 days later).
    830,000 deaths reached on August 26th (2 days later).
    840,000 deaths reached on August 28th (2 days later).
    850,000 deaths reached on August 29th (1 day later).
    860,000 deaths reached on September 1st (3 days later).
    870,000 deaths reached on September 2nd (1 day later).
    880,000 deaths reached on September 4th (2 days later).
    890,000 deaths reached on September 6th (1 day later).
    900,000 deaths reached on September 8th (2 days later).

1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (92 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (14 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (20 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (23 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (21 days later).
    600,000 deaths reached on July 17th (20 days later).
    700,000 deaths reached on August 4th (18 days later).
    800,000 deaths reached on August 20th (16 days later).
    900,000 deaths reached on September 8th (19 days later).

Fifteen scientists launch critique of Russia's COVID-19 vaccine data

MILAN, Sept 14 (Reuters) - A group of scientists sent a formal letter to the Lancet on Monday outlining doubts about the accuracy of early data on Russia's COVID-19 vaccine, one of the authors said, adding further fuel to a dispute surrounding the "Sputnik-V" shot.

Fifteen scientists from five countries signed the letter presenting their concerns to the international medical journal, Enrico Bucci, biologist adjunct professor at Philadelphia's Temple University, told Reuters.

Reuters did not see the contents of the letter. The move nonetheless highlights growing concern among scientists about the safety and efficacy of the Sputnik-V vaccine, which the government approved for use before completing full human trials.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/fifteen-scientists-launch-critique-russias-175816461.html
    Fingers crossed the jumping the gun by Rusia doesn't lead to more (fundamental) problems. Are they actively distributing this vaccine already?
    The USA have reached the very sad milestone of 200,000 deaths from coronavirus.
    Fingers crossed the jumping the gun by Rusia doesn't lead to more (fundamental) problems. Are they actively distributing this vaccine already?

I don't know.