Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One of the local grocery shops suddenly decided to ban cash. So I am never going there again.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    One of the local grocery shops suddenly decided to ban cash. So I am never going there again.
    I'm not saying it makes sense to ban cash for pandemic reasons, but I found that quite a lot of places allow card payment that didn't do so before (in order to avoid payment providers' fees, and German stores are generally still very reluctant to accept ANY card payment, not to mention credit cards - good luck in that case!). I'm quite happy with it. Unlike other times, I haven't employed ATMs more than twice since March and never seem to run out of cash. I think it's a sort of progress, minus the data-protection problems. But hey, nothing comes for free.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Eh? Do they still use cash in Norway? They hardly do in any other Scandinavian country. @j_w_pepper up north life is very different when it comes to using plastic. Already 10 years ago nobody payed cash in Copenhagen.

Eh? Do they still use cash in Norway? They hardly do in any other Scandinavian country. @j_w_pepper up north life is very different when it comes to using plastic. Already 10 years ago nobody payed cash in Copenhagen.

Most use cards, but I always carry some cash with me. I pay smaller amounts cash, and larger with my card.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italian news are reporting spikes of coronavirus are popping up throughout the UK, with several areas now put into lockdown. They say there’s a slight chance London will follow in a matter of weeks. Is really that bad??
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    matt_u wrote: »
    Italian news are reporting spikes of coronavirus are popping up throughout the UK, with several areas now put into lockdown. They say there’s a slight chance London will follow in a matter of weeks. Is really that bad??

We are still in emergency lock down in melbourne.
    Anyone else in lock down ?

edited September 2020 Posts: 2,354

That's Melbourne all right.
    Curfew is 9pm to 5 am and only allowed to shop for food 5 km from your house or medical reasons ,doctor , pharmacy.

Most other shops are closed.

Anyone else in lock down ? No one ?

Curfew is 9pm to 5 am and only allowed to shop for food 5 km from your house or medical reasons ,doctor , pharmacy.

Everything is pretty much normal here in Norway.

Everything is pretty much normal here in Norway.

US is still with masks and such ... I am hopeful this nightmare is over at some point because while I can ignore what is going on in the world (I don't wear a mask at work/ work out at home etc) every once in a while I go to a store or something i am reminded or i see how expensive concerts are now so band can try and recoup the loss I just it gets to me..

Heck I don't know if the bond film will ever be released at this point I am just well scared.. I know my concerns are likely not that important in the grand scheme of things but in my corner of the world that is my fear.. well that and being killed by a mob as that is the others side of 2020 that frightens me but this is just about the Corna virus...

I used to think those who said the end of the world was coming were nuts .. but lately I don't know
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Anyone else in lock down ?

Not exactly emergency lockdown here but almost everything is still closed. They are reopening slowly. Metro's have started and schools might next month.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Cases are on the rise here again, wouldn't be surprised if lockdowns are coming. For now they 'thightened' the rules. So no more than 3 visitors, masks in more places, etc. We'll see what's going to happen.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Cases are surging nearly everywhere on the planet now. Over 315,000 new cases were recorded around the globe yesterday. The daily confirmed cases of Covid-19 has almost reached the total amount of daily world-wide births.
    More bad news........

Coronavirus: Europe in clutches of its second wave

Europe is battling against a second wave of coronavirus cases as governments and health experts debate the effectiveness of new restrictions.

Epidemiologists have expressed doubts over measures being slapped on communities throughout Europe, including ­restricting entry and exit from mainly working-class districts, limiting gatherings to six people and early closing times in pubs.

More than 31 million people have been infected worldwide, and nearly 972,000 have died from the virus since it emerged in the eastern Chinese city of Wuhan in late December.The World Health Organisation reported on Tuesday AEST that almost two million infections were recorded around the globe in the single week to last Sunday.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Wow, I'm embarrassed for the people who wrote this.

It's what one would call 'fake news'.
    None of the signatures of these so-called doctors is of a virologist. A lot of these doctors are 'huisartsen'(GP's). The one virologist I found was from St. Petersburg, Russia.

Then we get to the so-called 'facts'. According to the writers, Corona 'just' follows the 'normal' influenza cycle. That is odd, as it's the first time this virus has come round. Then the mortality rate: they say it's 0.2 percent, and thus at the same level as the seasonal flu. Fact is the seasonal flu has a mortality of 0.02%. And Corona still sits at about 2%. Which makes it 100 times more deadly. It's also 5 times more infectious, but they fail to mention that.

Then the 'predictions' of the mortality rates in Sweden. First off, it makes no sense comparing (random?) predictions to the actual facts. But next to that I've got a strong suspition the statistics they show are false. Whatever is the case, these are the current numbers:
    Sweden:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Norway:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/norway/

Note that Sweden has about twice the amount of inhabitants compared to Norway, whilst about 8 times the amount of infections and 21 times deaths.

So well done Sweden!

I wouldn't be surprised if half the 'expersts' on the list (if you can call a genocologist an expert on virusses, or a social health worker, or...) are fake anyway, or never signed in the first place. I could continue, but I'm going to bed. I think you got the message.

Oh and by the way, Corona doesn't only kill, many who've recorvered are still maimed, possibly for life. And what's the social and economic damage of that?

And for those who think only old people suffer from Corona:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10223050584670647&set=p.10223050584670647
    We are all in deep shit because of this virus,for how long nobody knows ?

That's the long and short of it, yes.

Over 1.01M dead and no end in sight.......
    Not much news of any vaccines or treatments lately which is terrible.........

Over 1.01M dead and no end in sight.......
    Not much news of any vaccines or treatments lately which is terrible.........

This War on Death is doomed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Many more people die from heart disease on an annual basis. The Corona death toll pales in comparison. Yet people aren't waging a war against McDonalds and other death factories. I'm not saying it's not a big deal--it is! I'm merely saying we shouldn't resort to doomsday thinking just yet. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Many more people die from heart disease on an annual basis. The Corona death toll pales in comparison. Yet people aren't waging a war against McDonalds and other death factories. I'm not saying it's not a big deal--it is! I'm merely saying we shouldn't resort to doomsday thinking just yet. ;)
    As you are probably aware (and I suppose your posting is therefore a bit tongue-in-cheek), hypertonia, diabetes etc. are not contagious. Eating or drinking oneself to death with too much sugar, white flour, red meat, alcohol and drugs is everyone's individual decision. I myself contravene in at least two out of three cases (that's meat and alcohol, I confess), but I don't blame anyone for that. And that doesn't mean we should disregard protection against other risks, and we should make the appropriate protections (like masks to protect OTHER people, not the wearer) mandatory where they might be effective.
    Still in lock down here in melbourne in this long awful winter, is destroying people mentally.

Kids are prescribed anti depressants by gp's i've read.

Is there any other city in the world in lock down ?

None of the signatures of these so-called doctors is of a virologist. A lot of these doctors are 'huisartsen'(GP's). The one virologist I found was from St. Petersburg, Russia.

Then we get to the so-called 'facts'. According to the writers, Corona 'just' follows the 'normal' influenza cycle. That is odd, as it's the first time this virus has come round. Then the mortality rate: they say it's 0.2 percent, and thus at the same level as the seasonal flu. Fact is the seasonal flu has a mortality of 0.02%. And Corona still sits at about 2%. Which makes it 100 times more deadly. It's also 5 times more infectious, but they fail to mention that.

Then the 'predictions' of the mortality rates in Sweden. First off, it makes no sense comparing (random?) predictions to the actual facts. But next to that I've got a strong suspition the statistics they show are false. Whatever is the case, these are the current numbers:
    Sweden:

Norway:

Note that Sweden has about twice the amount of inhabitants compared to Norway, whilst about 8 times the amount of infections and 21 times deaths.

So well done Sweden!

I wouldn't be surprised if half the 'expersts' on the list (if you can call a genocologist an expert on virusses, or a social health worker, or...) are fake anyway, or never signed in the first place. I could continue, but I'm going to bed. I think you got the message.

Oh and by the way, Corona doesn't only kill, many who've recorvered are still maimed, possibly for life. And what's the social and economic damage of that?

The list is growing. Latest update:
    https://docs4opendebate.be/en/signatories/
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Sweden:

Norway:

So well done Sweden!

It's disappointing how some people can only think about their own comforts and amusement, while others are suffering.

I've got a Corona case under my roof as well here, it has not been fun.

Sweden:

Norway:

So well done Sweden!

Stupidity knows no limits.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Donald Trump has just tweeted ... that he & Melania have tested positive for COVID-19. I don't make these things up, I just report them. Sometimes even with a straight face and no attempt at irony. I do hope they both recover quickly.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italy reported 2500+ new cases, the highest number since 5 months.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Wish a swift recovery for Donald, Melania Trump and Hope Hicks.