Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In before the next round.
    I'm going for Vijay, not only because OP is one of my favourites. But also because I feel his character is better developed. Even with the silliness of the tennis match during the tuk-tuk chase in India, Vijay builds to be a likable ally to Bond. Both Moore and Amritraj have good chemistry together and not only the audience, but also Bond have genuine emotion when Vijay is killed.
    As to the second match up, I'll have to go with Silva. I find LeChiffre the better character, though Silva's back story is more interesting and somewhat tragic. In a strange way Silva displays empathy and sympathy. Something that a Bond villain, I feel should not really have. But his facial anomality is memorable and serves the character well.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,404
    Results of round 45:
    Vijay is preferred to Sharkey and wins 8 : 4
    Le Chiffre is weeping blood wins against the disfigured face of Silva: 8 : 4

Round 46:

A) Which "upgrade" of the villain's vehicle do you prefer?
    The nose of the Disco Volante becomes a high-speed hydrofoil vs. Scaramanga's AMC transforms in a "car plane"

I allow me to compare two smaller and less discussed scenes. Bond is hiding under the water surface without an air tank or another gadget in DN and AVTAK.
    B) Which moment do you prefer? Bond (with Honey and Quarrel) use bamboo for breathing and hiding vs. Bond breathes air from a car tyre (after the death of Tibbet)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Disco Volante
    While Dr. No is unequivocally the superior film, I actually find Bond's use of the car tyre for air underwater to be the more impressive moment, so I'll go for A View To A Kill.
    Disco Volante by miles. They actually built that beauty, didn’t they? And that aerial shot where the ship splits in two is fantastic. “Jettison cocoon!”

DN’s bamboo please
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first one is easy-the flying car.

The second is harder, but I will go with AVTAK as it is more original.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Car plane
    Car tyre

for me this round is all about Sir Rog and cars, it seems.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    unrczu5hxn05.jpg

&

ru0dldqvg9r1.jpg

• peterpeter Toronto
    Disco Volante

and

Car tire-- smart and tense.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Sorry I missed the last vote, but I would have gone for Vijay and Silva. I really like the character of Vijay, he has great chemistry with Roger and has some great humorous moments, even if a few are decidedly dated now. We’ll pitted against Sharkey, both come across as reliable and dependable, and would definitely have your back.
    For this week’s vote it has to be the car-plane. We all know I like the cheap gags in Bond films, and it’s a great little surprise sequence, just as Bond and the ever-dependable supremely competent J-Dubya finally closes in on Scaramanga, he pulls a fast-one that Q would be proud of. Super-spy Goodnight opening the boot to find herself sky-high adds to the fun.

And I just can’t help voting for Sir Rog again with the inventive escape (which thanks to numerous cheap science TV shows is grounded in reality - just like all of Rog’s escapes). Again it’s one of those things the little-big-kid in me loves watching.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Car-Plane and Tire breathing please!
    The first duel is well-balanced so far while my second duel seems to be a misfire.
    At least @IGotABrudder voted for the bamboo, good to have you! I don't leave you alone with that one.

The "car plane" looks fine on screen and is a cool way to escape. It is great that the viewer doesn't know what happens with the car for a while before the full transformation is visible. And yes, @Max_The_Parrot, the moment Goodnight is Opening the boot is fun.

The Disco Volante going in high-speed mode is no doubt a good trick but it somehow doesn't have the impression on me that it should. Probably because it happens very quick (?)...However, I have to admit it is smart and mean when Largo leaves most of his crew behind.

Yes, the car tyre is more impressive and it is always a welcome diversion seeing Moore-Bond act without a gadget.
    Does it really work @Max_The_Parrot in reality? Isn't the air in the tyre somehow too "mouldy"? And couldn't it be a problem to breathe only air instead of pure oxygen in such a moment? I thought I've read somewhere that it wouldn't work but this is a long time ago.

I love Dr. No because of his mixture between spy-thriller and adventure movie. It is a unique mixture and makes the movie very special for me. The bamboo moment is a perfect ingredient for an adventure movie and I love it even more because it is taken from Fleming's novel.

Good pictures @Benny. :-bd
    Does it really work @Max_The_Parrot in reality?

Well, I’ve not tried it myself as I’ve thoroughly checked my car insurance policy and am not convinced they would cover me for impersonating Sir Rog in a lake, but according to this academic it could be possible

http://www.creative-science.org.uk/hollywood8.html

Does it really work @Max_The_Parrot in reality?

Well, I’ve not tried it myself as I’ve thoroughly checked my car insurance policy and am not convinced they would cover me for impersonating Sir Rog in a lake, but according to this academic it could be possible

http://www.creative-science.org.uk/hollywood8.html

Good to have you and your humour back on this forum. Thank you for sharing this interesting article. This was a fun read.
    Good to have you and your humour back on this forum. Thank you for sharing this interesting article. This was a fun read.

4-C70-FF9-A-5-D74-4-BCD-BD87-3-A34-C22-FF9-A2.gif

:)
    For question 1, I'll stick with my favorite, TB, for the hydrofoil. Part of this is it works perfectly in the film: the bad guys are cornered and then pull a trick we didn't know about by transforming the Disco Volante into a hydrofoil. It's a real and practical thing and another great display of the genius of Ken Adam in action.

The car plane is fun and fits into the craziness that is TMWTGG, but it just seems a bit much and not convincing just strapping a pair of wings onto a car and launching it from there. It leaves me as dumbfounded as the cops who stop and watch the thing in the film. A fun missed opportunity would have been for somebody to reply to Pepper when he asked if they'd never seen an airplane before to reply "Boy, where you been all your life? That's one of them new carplanes" to refer back to the carboat line in LALD. Could it have hurt things anymore?

I'm going against the grain for question 2 and will go with the DN reeds. I can't say for sure if DN was the first time the reed in the water had been done, but it wasn't the last. An episode of The Man from UNCLE had Solo doing that in an episode and I know it's been done in others. It's a more tense scene with the guards in the swamp and has more than just Bond involved, 2 of whom are pretty scared at the time.

Points for originality for the tire scene in AVTAK and I could've easily voted for it too. But could this be done or is it studio trickery? I'd like to know if anybody has really tried it. Somebody made a good point about it being nasty too. Maybe it was just another product placement thing as Michelin was a sponsor. The film also shows a big Michelin display at the car wash earlier.

Another thing this reminds me of is one critic who reviewed AVTAK had a funny line that this is the most convincing lip action Moore's Bond gets in the film.

DN wasn t the first. See some old Tarzan films.
    @BT3366 good to have another vote for thr DN scene.
    According to Max' link above, the tire scene could work. Or do you mean if the producers or script writers “knew“/heard that it would be possible and decided to add it to the film?
    It could really simply be a scene created to have another product placement in the film. If so, they succeeded in combining product placement with an original scene.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Car plane

The hydrofoil moment is great as well, but it merely gives the villains a few more minutes to live and doesn't lead to further really exciting scenes.

DN reeds

AVTAK would have deserved the vote as well for its cleverness, but DN just has the more beautiful scene.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Benny wrote: »
    unrczu5hxn05.jpg

&

ru0dldqvg9r1.jpg

+1

Disco Volante and Car Tire

It's rare that I would vote for anything in AVTAK(outside of maybe its score) over DN but in this case I think the 1985 Bond film's moment here was more innovative than the DN one.
    Results of round 46:
    Villain's vehicle “upgrade“: no winner between high-speed hydrofoil and “car plane“: 6:6
    Breathing under water with car tyre, (AVTAK) wins against reeds (DN): 8:4

Round 47:
    Which sword-included fight do you prefer?
    Bond against Chang in Venice vs. Bond against Graves at Blades
    I know that some of you dislike Madonna's cameo. Forget her. Only vote for the fight with blades.

Which Bond/Kerim scene do you prefer?
    In the Basilica cistern(through the hidden door, in the boat, spying with periscope) vs. Krilencu's assassination

• peterpeter Toronto
    The first one is easy for me:

Bond vs Chang for the win. Quite frankly, I couldn't stand the mugging and grunts and the melodrama from the DAD Blades scene (to me it always looked like two bratty kids in a school-yard fight).

The second is far harder, I love both those scenes, but will take Krilencu's assassination-- it's a quick scene, satisfying for Bey and ends with a great one-liner from Bond.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bond vs Chang
    Basilica Cistern
    Bond v. Graves
    Basilica Cistern
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Bond v. Graves
    Basilica Cistern

Make that two please.
    Chang and the assassination of Krilencu.

The exquisite sets and cinematography helps in both cases. Great atmosphere.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Bond v. Graves
    Basilica Cistern

Make that two please.

I think the Bond v. Graves sword fight is probably one of the best action sequences of the Brosnan era. It's the only thing in Die Another Day which feels real and there's a true sense of danger. Unfortunately, Moonraker's sword fighting sequence feels more like a gag and doesn't do much for me.
    Oooh, that's tricky. Both sword fights are set pieces I always look forward to when watching the films, and both I really enjoy. Both are over the top which is perfect for me. I do have a soft spot for Chang tho, and of course I join in when Sir Rog delivers his 'play it again' gag, so Moonraker edges it for me.

As for FRWL, definitely the Basilica for me, I love a secret passageway!
    I love the the fencing/sword fight between Bond and Graves. The highlight of the movie and a very good fight in general.
    The fight against Chang isn't bad at all but doesn't stand out for me and Chang's screams are a bit annoying.

Basilica Cistern wins for me: Real spying, cool location and you realize (at he latest) in this scene how canny Kerim is.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Love both sword fights. Bond vs. Graves is the highlight of DAD but I'm going to let my sentimental affection for the 1979 Bond film win here and vote for Bond vs. Chang in Venice.

Basilica Cistern for the 2nd matchup, please.