Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Bond and Graves, nice fight, although I like the "play it again, Sam" line in MR.

Basilica Cistern, good spywork, although I like the interaction between Bond and Kerim Bey in the Krilencu scene.
    Is the Bond and Chang tussle really a sword fight? Chang has a staff and it doesn't last that long. Bond actually has an actual sword fight, though way too short, with Baron Samedi in LALD. That said, I think the overall Venice glass factory fight is a bit underrated. While not brutal like some of the Connery fights, it's creative with all of the shattered glass and the added suspense of Bond having to keep the vial from Drax's lab from breaking too.

So I prefer the Bond vs. Graves sword fight. Given the mess that is DAD, this is probably the standout action scene and one-of-a-kind in the series. It harkens back to the gambling, sporting scenes of one-upmanship between Bond and the villain from previous films and it seems both actors do most of their own stunts and goes on for a while opposed to the MR fight, which is rather brief. There's also the personal hatred each man has for each other. Lastly, it takes place at Blades, an ironic name but more important because the roots come from Fleming.

FRWL is very atmospheric and both scenes are taken from Fleming so this is tough. As a kid, I always remembered the Basilica Cistern scene. Rats have always been a big fear of mine, so that helped add to it. One thing that is weird about the spying scene: Kerim mentions it's sad they can't hear as well as see. So then what good is having just a device you can see with? It's not like they can make out documents well or anything, just basically identify who is there. Although it serves its purpose in that Kerim does find out Krilencu is back.

I select Krilencu's assassination. This just screams Cold War era spy films, the whole thing and the creativity of Krilencu escaping through the trap door. What else stands out is this doesn't have much to do with the overall plot of FRWL but doesn't distract and actually adds flavor, letting Kerim extract his revenge and Bond playing a supporting role here. The quip works too.

It is also special because growing up, when FRWL was shown on ABC TV, the entire gypsy camp sequence and this were always cut. They'd go straight from the cistern spy periscope sequence to Bond arriving back at his suite to fit a 2-hour time slot and fit in more commercials. Watching it on video was like getting a lost scene, although I knew of the sequence.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I
    It harkens back to the gambling, sporting scenes of one-upmanship between Bond and the villain from previous films and it seems both actors do most of their own stunts and goes on for a while opposed to the MR fight, which is rather brief.

Is the fight against CHang really that much shorter? I thought they both go on for around two minutes...I never had the feeling that the fight in Venice was brief.

The cuts you mention from earlier ABC TV screenings sound awful. Tsis means they cut around 15 minutes of the film including one of the biggest action Scenes of the movie and an awesome Bond/Kerim moment perfectly transferred from Fleming's pages.

#-o
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,398
    Results from round 47:

Sword-included fights: No winner between Bond against Chang vs. Bond against Graves at Blades: 5 : 5

Bond/Kerim scenes: Basilica cistern wins against Krilencu's assassination: 7 : 3

Round 48:

Kananga kills two agents exactly the same way in front of his Fillet of Soul and he tricks Bond twice in a similar way in the Fillet of Soul. Which one do you prefer?
    Hamilton and Strutter are visitors of their own funeral vs. Bond is tricked with a moving wall and moving floor.

Which big action scene of LTK do you prefer (action, tension etc.)? Wavekrest mayhem* vs. tanker chase**?
    *including sneeking around on the ship, diving action, water skiing without skis, plane action
    ** To prevent an easy win for the latter: Sanchez' death scene shouldn't be the reason to vote for this scene. It is more about the build up to this scene. The whole tanker action.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Nice @goldenswissroyale ... I’ll be back to answer later. Meditation time (I love all four scenes)!!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Hamilton and Strutter are visitors of their own funeral

and

Wavekrest mayhem. I like seeing Dalton Bond go into Thunderball mode. The tanker chase is fine but when it comes to Dalton Bond films ending in desert action scenes I much prefer the Hercules battle sequence in The Living Daylights.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The funeral scene and tanker chase.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Tough choices here @goldenswissroyale
    One of the reasons I enjoy this thread. You're very good at setting up a thought provoking weekly poll.

For the first match, I'm going for moving wall and moving floor. Whilst I love the idea and execution (no pun intended) of the killing of Hamilton and Strutter, I like how Bond is captured twice by Kananga at different Fillet Of Soul restaurants. Each time Bond is left unaware of the danger beforehand. I also like the by play between Bond and Felix.
    Felix - "What's wrong with the booth?"
    Bond - "I once had a nasty turn in a booth."

The second match is equally hard to choose between. The tanker chase is gripping, exciting and original. But for me, the Wavekrest mayhem is my preferred scene.
    It's a stunning set piece of action. Bond is as always completely unflappable. With the odds seemingly stacked against him, he firstly escapes the deck, then evades capture underwater by using a harpoon to break free of the divers attempting to kill him, water ski's barefoot behind a seaplane whilst gunmen in speedboats try to shoot him, finally bordering the seaplane unknown as it takes off, until he is discovered and the crew try to 'shake' him off. At which point Bond dispatches them and makes his escape with millions of dollars of drug money.
    In the wrong hands this scene could've been a disaster. In John Glens capable hands the scene is a triumph. Beautifully shot, in a stunning location. Exciting and tense, with some jaw dropping stunt work. Wonderful scene.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I love how the Fillet of Soul restaurants have those interior traps, so I'll go for those.

Second one is a toss-up, two great scenes. I'll go for the tanker chase because of its more emotional impact.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    After 24 hours of solitude and meditation, my choices are:

1/Moving wall/floor. I don't think anyone expects Bond to be captured in similar ways twice in one film. And they even threw audiences off the scent when Bond wisely steers Leiter away from the booth. I think our guard goes down when that happens. So quite a surprise when Bond sinks into the floor. Love it.

2/Wavekrest mayhem. It's just an amazing sequence of scenes that starts with Bond ingeniously sneaking aboard, confronting Lupe, witnessing the aftermath of his friend's murder, and the escape. Each scene has amazing stakes and urgency that keep getting heightened with more tension as it goes along.
    (this was a toss-up since I love the tanker chase sequence)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Funeral.
    Wavekrest mayhem. I like seeing Dalton Bond go into Thunderball mode. The tanker chase is fine but when it comes to Dalton Bond films ending in desert action scenes I much prefer the Hercules battle sequence in The Living Daylights.

This. I love Dalton's intensity leading up to the actual crux of the action and it's the Macgyveresque way in which he escapes that I absolutely love. No gadgetry involved. I agree that the Tanker sequence is good, but the Hercules chase in The Living Daylights is superior.

BT3366 wrote: »
    I
    It harkens back to the gambling, sporting scenes of one-upmanship between Bond and the villain from previous films and it seems both actors do most of their own stunts and goes on for a while opposed to the MR fight, which is rather brief.

Is the fight against CHang really that much shorter? I thought they both go on for around two minutes...I never had the feeling that the fight in Venice was brief.
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring the actual use of the sword which was brief. The fight itself does go on for a good few minutes.

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The first is a definite big thumbs up Sheriff JW Pepper sized vote (that's a very big vote indeed) for the Fillet of Soul. Fool him once, fool him twice we are caught by surprise by the first revolving booth, and then we can't wait to see what he does when he gets put in the booth the second time. Oh no, says little me watching it on the telly in the summer holidays, he's not sitting in the booth, such a disappointment. What the heck is that woman doing on stage? Yay, he's sinking into the ground, I didn't see that coming. Muuummmmm, can I have fish fingers for tea? Damn, I just love watching that LALD!!!

As for the second, both superb, both about equal in my mind, but I do love a Bond car chase, and this is a very big car/so big they've turned into trucks chase indeed. I just love every clunk, clang, bash, scrape of it! Trucks for me please!!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    "I'd like something on the side as well - information."
    50236079131_a85f5706f2_o.png

and

"Dive, damn it! Dive!"
    50236300092_acb78f1366_o.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Moving wall/floor. It's Fleming, right?

Wavekrest escape. One of *the* action highlights of the series, unjustly overlooked.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Moving wall/floor
    Krest mayhem
    The moving wall and floor are two great tricks and the waiter's reaction is cool as the (missing) ice in the glass. The followong shot of the "underground" room is wonderful, too (great combination of light and shadows. The funeral scenes are fun and defintely unexpected at the first watch but it feels a bit unrealistic. Are they all waiting the whole day for the appearance of an enemy and when the boss is calling they start to walk and cry. I mean it looks cool but why all the effort? I have to admit that it is handled nicely how they cut the scene the second time: We don't see the dead Strutter but we know that he was killed like Hamilton before.

Much more votes for the Wavekrest mayhem as expected. The big and exciting LTK final
    was easily my favourite action part of the movie for a very long time. I changed my mind step by step over the last decade. There aren't as many (obvious) standout scenes in the Wavekrest mayhem as in the final but the mixture of sneaking around, Lupe (I have a weakness for both bondgirls in this film), revenge and the combination of different action pieces is fantastic. The diving is maybe less beautiful to watch as in TB but I like it much more because of the pace; TB is too slow; the water-skiing without skis: a short but cool and spectacular stunt which definitely deserves the bond theme; the fight on the plane: compare it to the SP helicopter fight: it feels much more real in LTK, an action moment that deserves more positive mention. And the final moment is awesome: the falling pilot and Krest's facial reaction. We almost feel sorry for him (!).
    I always appreciate the hard work (of thinking) you put in the decision of your votes @peter. Having a bath, solitude and meditation included ;)

Awesome pictures @QBranch. You create those cards, flyers etc. yourself, right? So cool.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @goldenswissroyale I did, thank you mate. There's a Wavekrest sticker, Jax beer mats seen on Bond and Felix' table at the New Orleans restaurant, and menu card seen on the bar at the New York restaurant. Even the 'bourbon' itself has been replicated - water with a splash of soy sauce. No ice.

Back of the menu:

50235429563_662b1a446c_o.png
    I'm again surprised by all the support for the moving wall and floor. Fun, I always liked those especially as a kid. But I vote for the visitors of their own funerals. First, you get the atmosphere. It's authentic to New Orleans, rather than just a monument or some other landmark identifying it in that place, and done for real on location and not at Pinewood, and represents a unique bit of local flavor. That was back in the days when you could discover things from Bond films rather than just be entertained.

During the teaser, you don't really know what's going on, just this procession and them Hamilton gets it. That image of the coffin being put over his dead body and taking him away was one of those enduring images of the series when I was a kid. The second time you get the same sense of dread, it's shorter, not like the repeat in Scarmanga's fun house after the effectiveness of the first time. And it all ties into the network of Kananga/Mr. Big that he can control something to the point of staging this in a city this big and also ties into the whole death theme.

For the LTK question, the tanker chase is one of the best climaxes of the series, not just an army battle or in one location, but one that keeps moving, so it's unique there. So it's a hard choice. But I love the inventiveness of the Wavekrest mayhem. The sneaking aboard the ship and holding the knife to Lupe is just such a Fleming moment. Those stills of Bond with the knife really got one excited back in '89.

The sadness of Sharkey's death and Bond's revenge complete with effective line helps. Then there's the inventiveness of the rest of the escape. It's not all thought out, it's Bond doing what Bond does best - being resourceful. The waterskiing was fun and original and the plane battle also great and capped off with a bit of Dalton getting to show his lighter side without having to utter a throwaway line which wasn't his comfort zone to begin with. Just a laugh and on his way and we can enjoy it too.

Another nice touch is it all sets up things for later in the film too. It's not just a case of insert action scene here. It's why LTK deserves another look from fans who may not count it high. The scene doesn't have any of the Miami Vice vibe a lot of fans don't like. Wavekrest mayhem is really just a nice package of what makes Bond films fun and unique.

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Both are very well done, I really like the slow funeral music and procession; but the moving wall and floor is especially clever and effective.

The tanker chase in a landslide, for me. Belongs to the extended circle of my favourite sequences in the franchise. The wavekrest action is very much spoiled by the deaths of Della and Sharkey, and Felix being maimed. Directly after Sharkey's death it was the wrong time for an action scene IMO. With a different kind of atmosphere it could have become a great sequence.
    Another well-thought, interesting and on point comment. Thanks @BT3366
    Results of round 48:

LALD: Hamilton and Strutter are visitors of their own funeral vs. Bond is tricked with a moving wall and moving floor: Moving wall/floor wins 9 : 4

LTK: Wavekrest mayhem wins against tanker chase: 9 : 4

Round 49:

A) Which group of actors do you prefer in GE: the allies* vs. the baddies**

* Judi Dench as M, Samantha Bond as Moneypenny, Robbie Coltrane as Zukovsky, Tcheky Karyo as Mishkin and Joe Don Baker as Jack Wade. (Llewelyn doesn't count, he isn't a new face).

** Sean Bean as Trevelyan, Famke Jannsen as Onatopp, Gottfried John as General Ourumov, Alan Cumming as Boris Grishenko.

B) Which aspect from the Craig era do you prefer: the unique location cards from QoS vs. the unique tracking shot in the SP PTS

If you are interested in the location cards:
    http://adamschoales.com/blog/2018/5/the-typography-of-quantum-of-solace

If you want to know more about tracking shots:
    https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/tracking-shot-camera-movement-definition/#tracking-shot-basics

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    GE: the baddies

and

SP: the unique tracking shot. Inspired by this scene directed by Orson Welles:

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    GE: the baddies

and

SP: the unique tracking shot. Inspired by this scene directed by Orson Welles:

Once again, I'm with you @PrinceKamalKhan
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Quick question @goldenswissroyale, does D. M. Mishkin count as an ally too? :)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Quick question @goldenswissroyale, does D. M. Mishkin count as an ally too? :)

I planned to have four listed on both sides... thought about him, too...I'm not sure if he is an ally per definition but maybe we should add him. Karyo is awesome in GE. I'll add him to the list and hope this doesn't change the vote of the first voters.
    GE Baddies although Boris is a weak link there

SP tracking shot, which is magnificent, shows a level of creativity which one does not associate with the series, and it ultimately played a part in getting 1917 made. So it’s all good.

I do like the location cards though. I always like them in films. It’s cool how the font changes in the QOS ones.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    GE: Have to go with the baddies here. Although, Alan Cummings awful performance as Boris almost tips the balance.

Second: Easily, Spectre.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    GE: the baddies win, but as has been said: Boris was definitely the weak link that gave me pause before answering.

The Spectre tracking shot wins the second round. It's unique and the imagery, music and the beats are seared strongly in my mind's eye (although I do like the location cards).