Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Explosive milk bottles, also used in Carry On Spying(1964)

and

Bond flies to Scaramanga's Island

Thank you, @PrinceKamalKhan
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Yo-Yo and journey to Scaramanga's island.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Any love for the SF scene?
    I love the yo-yo saw, it's a perfect bad guy weapon for the Moore era. When I saw other countries got a toy version of it when OP was released I was envious. All we got in the U.S. were Corgi die-casts, fan magazine and soundtrack LP. It's no Oddjob's bowler or Grant's garrote watch but still a fun weapon and different for Bond to foil. When Kamal hires the assassins and puts down the photo of Bond and the guy slashes it it's amusing, one of the most interesting job interviews ever. It's also an interesting example of Octopussy's power in that the guy says "We don't want any trouble with the woman."

The exploding milk bottles were one of the few things I disliked when I saw TLD the first time. Here's a more serious-minded reboot approach and we get a gadget that's like a leftover from a Moore script. They got rid of the flying carpet sequence and this should've been eliminated too. So are we expected to buy that Koskov and Whitaker's people were watching the Bladens safe house in the short time Koskov was there that they'd know the time the milk man came and just happen to have the right gimmick to get in? Necros could've infiltrated and achieved what he was doing without that particular weapon.

Somebody before me mentioned it seemed like something The Avengers would've done and it would, but it reminded me of the campy, Batman-influenced third season of The Man from UNCLE, which actually had one episode in which the bad guys used an ice cream truck and had explosive popsicles. That's what I thought in July 1987. But again it seems like I'm in the minority.

The second question took more thought. I was at first leaning toward SF at it as the approach to the island very atmospheric, nicely built up as it's the very first meeting with Silva, ramping up the suspense as we haven't met him yet.

I figured with SF's reputation compared with TMWTGG's that it would easily win, but I'm pleasantly surprised that there is much support for Scaramanga's island and after watching the video it's my choice. One writer had a great description of the scene that it's like Bond flies through a time barrier as those rocks and islands look like something out of the stone age and adds to the atmosphere, which is what Bond movies have always been great at.

I also love Scaramanga's line to his landlords "No, he won't be leaving." There's also the suspense that this is the build-up to the duel. It ramps this up, despite how we may feel about the actual duel itself. Add in John Barry's music and it makes it a very memorable Bond scene in a film not well liked by much of the fan community.

It seems most fans rank Barry's score lower, but I've always enjoyed it, much more so than AVTAK, and this was one of the tracks that I think added to the scene.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Love all of the choices-- once again. So, no meditations and cold baths this week; I'm just gonna dive in:

Exploding milk bottles for the win-- I remember the first time I watched Necros' attack on the safe house, and that child-like glee I had in how he caused such chaos as he went about his job in collecting Koskov. It was a great sequence.

For the second series, I'm going with Skyfall and Bond heading to Silva's island-- we have the image of Bond being surrounded and the music swelling; it all feels so hopeless and that Bond just crossed a line he can't step back from. Very effective.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I'll have exploding milk bottles although I could just as easily go for the yo-yo saw. I just think the milk bottles are such a cool thing to see - such a very British sight (in those days - the milkman delivering the bottles of milk) put to such deadly use, a very Q invention this time used by the villains instead. Yes, TLD is a more serious Bond, but coming straight off the back of seven Roger movies, I'm glad we still have little touches of humour like these to ease the transition, and frankly keep the kids entertained. I believe the original script was written with Moore's Bond in mind, and like I say I'm glad they didn't try to eradicate all traces of a lighter, frothier Bond.

I have to stick with Roger for the second choice. Whilst I love the soundtrack to the approach to Silva's island - one of the (very) few moments where the Skyfall soundtrack sticks in my mind. However, in all other respects Ijust love the approach to Scaramanga's island - Moore's piloting of the plane through the stunning scenary, the conspiratorial conversation between the 'landlords' and Scaramanga, the gorgeous swelling soundtrack, yeah, it's just great!
    @BT3366 You say that the milk bottles are unrealistic to be prepared because they didn't have much time to find out that the arrival of the milkman would be at the time when Koskov would be there, too. I never thought about it before and you are probably right. But couldn't Saunders assassination be criticised for similar reasons? When did Necros find out where Bond wuld meet his ally? How much time did Necros have to organise the material and take the control over the door? Honestly, I don't care that much. Both moments are great and Necros is in my opinion one of the best henchman.

It finally happened! The first vote for Bond whodoesn't turn back on the Chimera. Thanks @peter.
    @BT3366 You say that the milk bottles are unrealistic to be prepared because they didn't have much time to find out that the arrival of the milkman would be at the time when Koskov would be there, too. I never thought about it before and you are probably right. But couldn't Saunders assassination be criticised for similar reasons? When did Necros find out where Bond wuld meet his ally? How much time did Necros have to organise the material and take the control over the door? Honestly, I don't care that much. Both moments are great and Necros is in my opinion one of the best henchman.

It finally happened! The first vote for Bond whodoesn't turn back on the Chimera. Thanks @peter.

Great questions, goldenswissroyale, another reason why I like these so much. I don't see them as just an answer and done but something that can lead to more discussion, which I really enjoy.

My only guess on the Saunders thing is they knew where to find him, maybe staked out his office, possibly broke in and saw his itinerary as he seems the sort to keep one. After all, Koskov knows Saunders since he helped set up his defection. Now how Necros could've set that charge on the door, knew that Sauders would be there and all that, yeah, you got good points to scrub all of that.

Another thing I meant to add to my TMWTGG vote above: Why does Bond bother to dress in a jacket and tie to go to Scaramanga's island in the heat? It's not like he has to conceal his Walther or anything. We associate Bond with a jacket and tie, but that's a case where it's a little excessive and looks plain ridiculous. Wouldn't an outfit like he wore when staking out Hi-Fat's estate with Hip make more sense?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @goldenswissroyale -- np! That swelling music and the no-win imagery of Bond and Severine being surrounded by gun-men... Lovely stuff.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2020 Posts: 7,314
    Firstly, I have to go with the yo-yo saw. It comes off as intimidating despite the name and the effect. You believe this guy has spent years mastering his craft. Vijay's assassination was no laughing matter.

I also like the milk bottles, but they do come off as a bit convenient don't they? Although it's interesting to see the tables being turned and the gadgets being used against MI6 this time. Are they a holdover from Moore's era? I understand the logic behind that statement but are they that different from a cigarette that shoots a projectile? Some of the sillier gadgets originated in Connery's films. For better or worse they were expected to appear in Bond films all the way through Brosnan's tenure.

Secondly, watching those two clips back to back made me realize once again just how great John Barry was. It cannot be said enough how much his music elevated all the films he participated in. There are other reasons to vote for the approach to Scaramanga's Island as well though. The cinematography and the tension building up between the two contestants. And those gorgeous rocks! It's one of the highlights from a film that is sparse of them. Nothing wrong with the SF scene. I've always enjoyed it. It's a nice moment but not on the same level.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,398
    Good that the first duel doesn't have an obvious winner (like the second question). I like both weapons. While some of you state that the milk isn't a "serious" enough gadget for Dalton's film, I have to say that I like it this way: It is inventive and used very efficient by Necros. I always wondered why there haven't been more people be killed there (M talks about the number afterwords). Isn't Necros obviously a top5 henchmen? Definitely for me!

However, I vote for the yo-yo saw. If I remeber it right, we see this weapon three times and all three moments are very memorable for me: The moment when the saw destroys Bond's photo, Vijay's death (a very dark and very good moment!) and when the killer is standing above Octopussy's bed, where a water drop on the saw saves Bond life. A short but still one of the best fight scenes with Roger follows right afterwords.

peter wrote: »
    @goldenswissroyale -- np! That swelling music and the no-win imagery of Bond and Severine being surrounded by gun-men... Lovely stuff.

Yes, it is. I support your vote with an outstanding second vote for Bond on the Chimera. I couldn't say that the SF soundtrack sticks in my mind (as mentioned by Max), but the music is perfect for this scene. The last shot with the yacht, the henchmen, Bond and Severine and the island in front of them - combined with the music - is a wonderful moment. I love this moment even a bit more as the scene in TMWTGG. The only thing I don't love in this scene is Severine's sentence: "We can still turn back..." It works fine when you watch it the first time but it is a bit stupid to say this or does she really believe that she could decide where to go with this yacht?

I think the beautiful scenery of Roger's flight deserves to win this round but the strange thing is: It didn't stand out as much as I expected when I watched the whole movie last week. (Nevertheless, easily one of the best moments in the film and one of the best Bond locations ever!)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They missed a product placement trick with the yo-yo saw. It should have had a Coca-Cola logo.
    undrinkable.jpg
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Exploding milk bottles

Scaramanga's island
    No question about that, for me. One of my most favourite Bond locations. Fantastic scenery and score, the MI6 powwow with the map, the involvement of the Chinese government, 'No, he won't be leaving', the seaplane...
    Results of round 51:

Explosive milk bottles win against yo-yo saw: 8 : 6
    Flight to Scaramanga's island wins very easily against Bond on the Chimera (on the way to Silva's island): 12 : 2

Round 52:

The winners are probably a bit too obvious this time...I don't hope so. Let's find out.

Which scene(s) do you prefer? Checking out...and in aka enter a hotel Brosnan style: Bond gets the kiss of life, is checking out and checking in (DAD) vs. Bahamas aka enter a hotel Craig style: Bond gets the car key, the hotel workers run out and Bond walks in (CR)

From 01.08 and the next part where Bond enters the hotel

Wet Nellie is definitely a highlight of TSWLM. Which moment do you prefer? In: Lotus jumps in water and transforms* vs. Out: Lotus emerges from the sea**"

*Only the beginning of the underwater scene before Naomi is killed (00.00 - 00.50)
    ** man with bottle and Jaws` son included...

The scenes are very well known but it's always great to watch them again:

(00.00 - 00.50)

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Damn I missed the last round.
    To be honest neither of the first matches really does anything for me. I remember when I first saw DAD and we see Bond walking into the hotel in wet pyjamas, I was appalled. Whilst everyone else in the cinema went along with the gag. I found it so un-Bondian.
    On the flip side, Craig's way of gaining access too the Ocean Club is quite clever. Posing as parking valet, then using the car of an obnoxious guest to get security to leave their video monitoring room, so Bond can follow up on the text message. Then checking in with the lovely receptionist is a lot more Bondian.
    So, maybe quite unsurprisingly I'll go with Craig style.
    The second match up is a no brainer for me. In: Lotus jumps in water and transforms.
    It's the culmination of such an exciting chase. Naomi in her Bell Jetranger vs Bond in his Lotus Esprit. The shot of the Lotus going off the end of the jetty with Naomi's helicopter next too it, is one of my favourite images of the entire series.
    yvgp98j93jsg.jpg
    8lv6mgq7fv3g.jpg

The Lotus coming out of the water too the amazed onlookers is also a great scene, but the excitement of the earlier scene takes the gold.
    Feel free to comment on the last round, too @Benny. I'm always interested in your way of looking at Bond moments.
    There's not many threads where you can find TMWTGG winning so convincingly against SF! Bravo! =D>
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Feel free to comment on the last round, too @Benny. I'm always interested in your way of looking at Bond moments.

Thanks @goldenswissroyale much appreciated :-bd
    As an unashamed Octopussy fan, you might be surprised to find I prefer the exploding milk bottles ahead of the yo-yo saw. The yo-yo saw is gruesomely lethal, but I like the inventiveness of the milk bottles. Till they're used, we're not quite sure what Necros is doing with them. And then he uses them to devastating effect. One of those instances where the villains have a cool gadget.
    Second match goes to TMWTGG. Beautiful shots of Bond approaching Scaramanga's island, showcasing the remoteness of the location. The scenes of Bond and Severine on the Chimera approaching Silva's island in SF, don't even compare for me. An easy win for Golden Gun.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 631
    People sometimes say the first half of DAD is ok but the first act also contains some truly awful moments of its own, and the Hong Kong hotel scene is one of them. It’s not helped its preceding shot, the one where Brosnan is seen in front of what is clearly a big photograph of Hong Kong at night.

So CR please. I don’t enjoy CR very much but I do like this scene.

Lotus entering the water is one of my favourite cinematic shots in any film ever.

They would do it CGI today I suppose? - it would probably be too dangerous to fly the helicopter that close. That is some expert flying skill there, because if the helicopter flies too low then it’s hidden behind the car, if it’s too high it’s out of the camera’s view, if it’s too far behind it’s out of shot too. The pilot nails it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The first one is a no-brainer. Like @Benny I was horrified to see Bond strolling through the hotel lobby looking like a drowned rat and wet pyjamas in DAD. The win easily goes to CR. Craig is cool, calm, collected. It's obvious his brain's ticking away. And his little toss of the keys at the end is as cool as cool can be.

The second win goes to the Lotus entering the water. I'm a fan of more low-key, or more realistic gadgets. But if you're going big and inventive, Wet Nellie is the way to go. To watch her transform is always a fun moment in the film-- and I do like the way they shot it (when the Lotus comes out of the water, I enjoy the Bond theme and the reactions, but it takes the humour one step too far with Moore holding the fish by his finger-tips-- just a tad too slap-stick for my tastes).
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    DAD hotel
    Lotus In
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Craig, even though I like the DAD one too.
    Lotus in, classic moment.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Craig, even though I like the DAD one too.
    Lotus in, classic moment.

Same.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Round 52:

Both good but I'll give Brosnan and DAD a sympathy vote here:

Checking out...and in aka enter a hotel Brosnan style: Bond gets the kiss of life, is checking out and checking in (DAD)

and

Wet Nellie is definitely a highlight of TSWLM. Which moment do you prefer? In: Lotus jumps in water and transforms

(00.00 - 00.50)

RIP, Naomi.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    42985695852_2643bdf957_o.jpg
    50355420866_637932c306_o.png

Ocean clubs and Lotus subs.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Craig style

Lotus out
    A very beautiful beach, and some nice humour
    Good to have some votes for Pierce and the first vote for the beach moment.
    I have to confess: I believe - if I had a second X-chromosome in my cells - that I would fall in love with Pierce ...or something close to it. I honestly think that he is easily the most attractive Bond and he definitely can look very cool, even when he walks around like Robinson Crusoe (who he played in another movie). The moment he leaves the bed and thanks for the kiss of life is a good moment, for DAD standard even a highlight and - although strange - the moment he walks in the hotel works fine for me. Pierce plays it like it would be the most normal thing to enter an upper class hotel this way.
    As I said, I'm happy that Pierce got at least two votes so far. He isn't bad at all.

However, the Craig moment is one the small scenes I absolutely love. It's smart, funny and stylish. The way he throws the key away and how relaxed he enters the hotel while all others are running around. I hope we will get such moments in NTTD...

Craig style for me.

Lotus out: I love the moment when the Lotus emerges from the sea. I wanted to play this scene for a while but couldn't find a good match. And as expected (and as feared), it has no chance against the famous jump in the water. It is no doubt an awesome image and @Benny explained it nicely why it deserves to win. So why do I vote for the beach scene? Simply because I still have the same bright smile (after around 20 watches) on my face as the first time I watched it. Iconic, very amusing and beutiful to watch...and the man with bottle's first and perfect appearance.

Is the joke with the fish a bit too much? Maybe...It doesn't make sense but Roger is allowed to do such jokes.
    Ooops nearly forgot about this. The first is very difficult as I'm a big fan of anything Brozza, and despite being more lukewarm towards Craig the valet scene is one that I really like. I can't really disagree with any of the comments made about the Craig scene, and yet if I'm being true to myself I do enjoy the pyjama scene more. Brosnan absolutely can rock up to the lobby of any hotel in his pyjamas and scruffy beard and still feel like James Bond in my book. And it's so different and amusing to other hotel entrances that I have to give it the vote, however futile it may be!

As for the second, the Lotus has always been my favourite Bond car, and I love love love the entire sequence from start to finish (even the fish, maybe especially the fish, it's so Sir Rog!) But the Lotus splashdown is an absolutely crowd pleasing punch the air eye-popping 'Bond is so cool' moment for the little kid in me, it gets the nod!
    Results of round 52:
    Enter a hotel: CR (Ocean Club) wins against DAD (Checking out and in): 8 : 3
    Lotus jumps in the water wins easily against Lotus emerges from the sea: 9 :2

That's it. 52 weeks, one year with over 100 duels. I enjoyed it a lot and want to thank everyone who voted and was a part of it. Special thanks to @peter who never missed a round and to @BT3366, @Benny and @Max_The_Parrot who wrote many interesting and detailed comments.

If you are interested in the results: There is a summary on page 1.

I would love to participate in a similar game hosted by someone else. Maybe I feel already bored in a few weeks and will start something else...or maybe a weekly Bond poll special with NTTD?...

It was fun but I need a break now. It took me much longer to find satisfying matches for the last rounds as I expected. I often had a special scene in mind but couldn't find a fitting counterpart. Like this one:

I'm looking forward to "meet" you again in other threads. Over and out.