Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

14445464749

Comments

  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Posts: 3,157
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    And TFA left a lot of possibilities for Luke, despite it's myraid of issues elsewhere.


    Agent_One wrote: »
    TLJ was the film that character assassinated him.

    That's totally irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevant? Luke didn't have to be on Acht-To to die in TFA. Luke didn't have to have been destroyed as a character in TFA. There was a lot you could do with him. TLJ is the one that made those choices.

    That's not "ignoring TFA's storylines", it's "developing them differently than I expected".
    It developed them poorly, then.

    I love how you keep missing the point only to push your agenda further.
    What agenda?

    That TLJ is a bad movie.

    Again wrong thread - there is a Star Wars thread.

    Who cares, whenever I try to PM users or move the discussion to the proper thread they just ignore me. Hijacking the threads apparently is the only way to keep their focus.
  • Walecs wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    And TFA left a lot of possibilities for Luke, despite it's myraid of issues elsewhere.


    Agent_One wrote: »
    TLJ was the film that character assassinated him.

    That's totally irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevant? Luke didn't have to be on Acht-To to die in TFA. Luke didn't have to have been destroyed as a character in TFA. There was a lot you could do with him. TLJ is the one that made those choices.

    That's not "ignoring TFA's storylines", it's "developing them differently than I expected".
    It developed them poorly, then.

    I love how you keep missing the point only to push your agenda further.
    What agenda?

    That TLJ is a bad movie.

    Again wrong thread - there is a Star Wars thread.

    Who cares, whenever I try to PM users or move the discussion to the proper thread they just ignore me. Hijacking the threads apparently is the only way to keep their focus.

    I despair...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,353
    Walecs wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »
    And TFA left a lot of possibilities for Luke, despite it's myraid of issues elsewhere.


    Agent_One wrote: »
    TLJ was the film that character assassinated him.

    That's totally irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevant? Luke didn't have to be on Acht-To to die in TFA. Luke didn't have to have been destroyed as a character in TFA. There was a lot you could do with him. TLJ is the one that made those choices.

    That's not "ignoring TFA's storylines", it's "developing them differently than I expected".
    It developed them poorly, then.

    I love how you keep missing the point only to push your agenda further.
    What agenda?

    That TLJ is a bad movie.

    Again wrong thread - there is a Star Wars thread.

    Who cares, whenever I try to PM users or move the discussion to the proper thread they just ignore me. Hijacking the threads apparently is the only way to keep their focus.

    I despair...

    Just ignore it and continue with what you want to talk about.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 280
    I'll stop posting about SW in this thread, as it's clearly annoying you all. Apologies.
  • Agent_One wrote: »
    I'll stop posting about SW in this thread, as it's clearly annoying you all. Apologies.

    Thank you.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 15,359
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    My only concern is more to do with how people are going to respond to the film. With more spoilers coming out and just the controversial nature of this particular film, I'm wondering if some have already made their mind up about this one.

    Looking at some comments here on this forum during the production, that certainly seems to be the case. As for general audiences, how much do they really pay attention to these things? The friends I usually watch films with are aware that there's a new Bond film coming at some point, but they don't really know anything about it (other than what a few trailers have shown, of course).
    That is true. It's just a shame that what could be a good film will possibly be tainted by controversial expectations caused by unnecessary outrage.

    Indeed. The fact that there's such outrage (by some) about a film yet to be released, is just silly.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 3,949
    Nobody likes to admit it, but people LOVE to be outraged these days. It's a way to make their feelings feel justified. I've seen the word "objective" thrown around a whole lot by fanboys in recent years. The idea that it's not enough to have an opinion on a film, it has to be an undisputed judgement, especially if it's a film that got strong reviews from professional critics.
  • Posts: 695
    Nobody likes to admit it, but people LOVE to be outraged these days. It's a way to make their feelings feel justified. I've seen the word "objective" thrown around a whole lot by fanboys in recent years. The idea that it's not enough to have an opinion on a film, it has to be an undisputed judgement, especially if it's a film that got strong reviews from professional critics.

    I dont trust these '' profesional critics '' because they are paid to watch films and often have an agenda and/or scared to give a high profile film from a major studio a bad review in case they dont get their exclusive access in the future.How else do you explain awful woke films like The Last Jedi and Terminator:Dark Fate getting good reviews?

    Both movies which in fact were very badly received by long time ( paying ) fans.They will never admit it but much of The Rise Of Skywalker felt like an apology for TLJ ( Making Luke actually respect his fathers lightsaber,conveying that '' The Holdo maneuver '' was shot in a million,and MUCH reduced screen time for that awful Rose character.

    Its the same with video games.The Last Of Us 2 which treats the main male character of the first game horribly to make way for butch female character.It got great reviews from '' professional '' critics of course because they were afraid of incurring the wrath of Sony.The fans of the first game were horrified by it or in my case refused to play it ESPECIALLY after Naughty dog tried to shut down youtube channels which did not play ball.

    If NTTD turns out to be a woke mess,it could backfire on the franchise badly by alienating long term fans which lets be honest,is a franchise that has appealed mostly to men.

  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 6,353
    Not to nitpick - as much as there's a lot there you could nitpick - but the reviews for Terminator: Dark Fate weren't really good per se. They mostly just said it was the best one since the second one, which is true. Many of its massive problems, including the weak female saviour character, were noted in many reviews.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,949
    TLJ got good reviews because it was judged purely as a film, rather than by self entitled fanboys. TROS on the other hand was judged pretty on point for being the messy rushed film it was.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 280
    TLJ got good reviews because it was judged purely as a film, rather than by self entitled fanboys. TROS on the other hand was judged pretty on point for being the messy rushed film it was.
    TLJ is just as much of a mess as TROS. The script has more holes than swiss cheese.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 3,949
    I’m sure it’s so crippling it’s “worse than the prequels”, but that’s for another thread.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Posts: 280
    ROTS is leagues above every film in the ST. But you're right, this is the wrong place.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Posts: 2,541
    Can't say everyone of those film's got good reviews because of "woke" but yeah "professional critics" these day's are not reliable for me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 3,949
    I find them far more reliable than fan reactions on YouTube and the like.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,353
    I have (over time) developed trust with a couple of critics whose tastes generally align with my own. If they don't like something, it's a reliable bet for me that I won't either. It's not foolproof, of course - some things can slip through the cracks; but it's the best you can do if you don't have the luxury of being able to simply just watch everything and form an opinion.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 322
    The great secret of the offline world is that most people neither love nor hate individual movies all that much. They go to the cinema because they want to have a nice time and for the most part unless the movie really ticks them off or strikes an immediate chord, they'll be satisfied if it does what it says on the tin.

    Most of the people who weren't hyper into internet fan culture liked the SW prequels and sequels just fine because they offered a ton of neat space battles, aliens, planets etc; that's why most people go to see a SW film. The story doesn't really enter into it.

    Spectre comes in for a ton of hate on here but for most people, it was just the Bond film they saw a few years ago with the Nazi from Inglorious Basterds as that villain with the cat and the scar from the 60s. Maybe it was a bit long but it had explosions, gunfights, exotic international locales and Bond romancing glamorous women.

    That's what they paid to see and that's what they got.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 3,949
    In short, the general audience!
  • Posts: 695
    In short, the general audience!

    Its not the general audience that mainly buys the toys and other merchandise though.The likes of JJ and Rian Johnson scoffed at the fans who disliked their films calling them '' manbabies '' and so on.However,they ( And Disney ) took it seriously when Solo came out a few months later and flopped.SW merchandise sales have been tanking and their theme park Galaxys Edge was a disaster.

  • edited August 2020 Posts: 322
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    In short, the general audience!

    Its not the general audience that mainly buys the toys and other merchandise though.

    Most people who buy SW toys are grownups buying them for their children.
    In short, the general audience!
    +1
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 3,949
    Pretty sure the man babies Rian Johnson was referring to were those scum bags that harassed Kelly Marie Tran for her weight and ethnicity.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 695
    Pretty sure the man babies Rian Johnson was referring to were those scum bags that harassed Kelly Marie Tran for her weight and ethnicity.

    Not that i condone that kind of thing,but its the internet,EVERYONE gets online hate in one form or another.That whole saga of her deleting her social media sounded like a publicity stunt to me.

    And calling people '' Manbabies '' is hardly a mature response.A bit like Terminator:Dark Fate director Tim Miller calling any haters of his movie '' Mod Edit '' before his movie comes out.Amazingly this piece of movie marketing backfired and it flopped.Hmm..i wonder why?

    I think Zack Snyder is a good example of a director taking criticism like a man.That guy has come in for a lot of hate and criticism but hes always taken it knowing no doubt that you are always going to have critics.His fanbase online grew over the years and the result was the unprecedented move of a major studio giving in to overwhelming fan SUPPORT to get his directors cut of Justice League finished and released.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,949
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Pretty sure the man babies Rian Johnson was referring to were those scum bags that harassed Kelly Marie Tran for her weight and ethnicity.

    Not that i condone that kind of thing,but its the internet,EVERYONE gets online hate in one form or another.That whole saga of her deleting her social media sounded like a publicity stunt to me.

    Nope. STAR WARS is more exceptional when it comes to online hate because it is a much bigger property. This wasn't just cast members of the sequel trilogy that got hate, the most notorious example is Jake Lloyd, who was a goddamn child and got bullied by fans to the point he now has mental health issues. Ahmed Best at one point contemplated suicide because of how much hate got directed towards him. This is what people are talking about when it comes to toxic fandom, not people who genuinely have earnest criticisms. Online trolls lumping the two together is just a narrative to make those who do have genuine criticisms feel attacked by creators and enrage them.
    And calling people '' Manbabies '' is hardly a mature response.A bit like Terminator:Dark Fate director Tim Miller calling any haters of his movie '' Mod Edit trolls '' before his movie comes out.Amazingly this piece of movie marketing backfired and it flopped.Hmm..i wonder why?

    DARK FATE flopped for the same reason its two predecessors flopped: It's a stale franchise long past its prime. Addressing misogynistic trolls months before release didn't bring the film's downfall. That's a narrative pushed by moronic YouTubers like Midnight's Edge and Doomcock pushing the idea that audiences reject "woke" films, which doesn't exactly hold up given other films they accused of being "woke" like the Star Wars sequels and Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars. In truth, most audiences don't really care if something is woke or not, so long as it's something they want to see. More reboots of Terminator and Charlie's Angels wasn't really something audiences asked for. That's just Hollywood wanting to recapture the glory days of T2.
    I think Zack Snyder is a good example of a director taking criticism like a man.That guy has come in for a lot of hate and criticism but hes always taken it knowing no doubt that you are always going to have critics.His fanbase online grew over the years and the result was the unprecedented move of a major studio giving in to overwhelming fan SUPPORT to get his directors cut of Justice League finished and released.

    Snyder has lashed out once but this was years after the fact, which was about fan complaints over having his versions of Batman and Superman committing murder (especially Batman using guns on bad guys). Basically telling off those fans who don't want to see their heroes commit murder "that's cool, but you're living in a ****ing dream world".

    To me, those comments are just part of a reason why I think Snyder is ill suited to do movies about altruistic characters like Batman and Superman.
  • Posts: 695
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Pretty sure the man babies Rian Johnson was referring to were those scum bags that harassed Kelly Marie Tran for her weight and ethnicity.

    Not that i condone that kind of thing,but its the internet,EVERYONE gets online hate in one form or another.That whole saga of her deleting her social media sounded like a publicity stunt to me.

    Nope. STAR WARS is more exceptional when it comes to online hate because it is a much bigger property. This wasn't just cast members of the sequel trilogy that got hate, the most notorious example is Jake Lloyd, who was a goddamn child and got bullied by fans to the point he now has mental health issues. Ahmed Best at one point contemplated suicide because of how much hate got directed towards him. This is what people are talking about when it comes to toxic fandom, not people who genuinely have earnest criticisms. Online trolls lumping the two together is just a narrative to make those who do have genuine criticisms feel attacked by creators and enrage them.
    And calling people '' Manbabies '' is hardly a mature response.A bit like Terminator:Dark Fate director Tim Miller calling any haters of his movie '' Fucking trolls '' before his movie comes out.Amazingly this piece of movie marketing backfired and it flopped.Hmm..i wonder why?

    DARK FATE flopped for the same reason its two predecessors flopped: It's a stale franchise long past its prime. Addressing misogynistic trolls months before release didn't bring the film's downfall. That's a narrative pushed by moronic YouTubers like Midnight's Edge and Doomcock pushing the idea that audiences reject "woke" films, which doesn't exactly hold up given other films they accused of being "woke" like the Star Wars sequels and Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars. In truth, most audiences don't really care if something is woke or not, so long as it's something they want to see. More reboots of Terminator and Charlie's Angels wasn't really something audiences asked for. That's just Hollywood wanting to recapture the glory days of T2.
    I think Zack Snyder is a good example of a director taking criticism like a man.That guy has come in for a lot of hate and criticism but hes always taken it knowing no doubt that you are always going to have critics.His fanbase online grew over the years and the result was the unprecedented move of a major studio giving in to overwhelming fan SUPPORT to get his directors cut of Justice League finished and released.

    Snyder has lashed out once but this was years after the fact, which was about fan complaints over having his versions of Batman and Superman committing murder (especially Batman using guns on bad guys). Basically telling off those fans who don't want to see their heroes commit murder "that's cool, but you're living in a ****ing dream world".

    To me, those comments are just part of a reason why I think Snyder is ill suited to do movies about altruistic characters like Batman and Superman.

    I disagree.
  • No niggles, and I am full of confedence, just elation at the fact that NTTD will be playing on screens soon. EON, you treated us, the fans poorly, and maybe we'll have our say at the ballots this November, or maybe we'll have our say at the movies, this November. However, if the movie is good, all will be forgiven.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Posts: 292
    No niggles, and I am full of confedence, just elation at the fact that NTTD will be playing on screens soon. EON, you treated us, the fans poorly, and maybe we'll have our say at the ballots this November, or maybe we'll have our say at the movies, this November. However, if the movie is good, all will be forgiven.

  • Posts: 417
    I trust the disgusting racism and sexism displayed above have been addressed enough by others responding to them.
    As for the Craig films each picking up on storylines from the prior films -- it's been enjoyable and interesting. The books did more of that, some a little, some a lot. The films until now went pretty lightly on it, though there was some. After making 20 or so movies it ought to be no huge concern for the producers to follow Fleming's cue -- used in the Blofeld arc, especially, though not exclusively -- with Craig's films. They apparently improvised along the way, but followed it and it's been entertaining. Is each film a masterpiece ? No. Is each film a fantasy of action and heroes and villains ? Yes.
    As for concerns for NTTD specifically ? Yes, though everything I've seen looks great. As with the "Dr. Evil is really Austin Powers' brother" storyline being lifted in SP, it appears NTTD will borrow from the first Kingsmen film, with the "wiping out a significant portion of humanity will help the rest of humanity in the future" evil plan. I trust it will not be discussed over a meal of burgers and fries this time. Still...
  • No niggles, and I am full of confedence, just elation at the fact that NTTD will be playing on screens soon. EON, you treated us, the fans poorly, and maybe we'll have our say at the ballots this November, or maybe we'll have our say at the movies, this November. However, if the movie is good, all will be forgiven.

    Well this post aged badly!
  • Posts: 1,285
    I feel like people felt in '89 , not much interest......sure i will see it but i dont in any way feel fired up about it



  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 709
    Concerns? We'll never see this film haha.

    Seriously though I'm not sure this film will come out in April. I mean firstly who's to stay the virus is under control by then and secondly, it wouldn't surprise me if Universal, MGM, EON or whoever again decide that Bond isn't as profitable in April as it is in November and if the virus is under control by April then they make think push it to November and try to capitalise further and save trying to compete with the other movies slated for an April release, if they were to believe it will be under control by November 2021
Sign In or Register to comment.