Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,834
    They should have really played up the idea that she really didn't like him at first, because she really switches after she awakens and they find the secret room, which is really odd. It's like her frustration towards Bond just went away after a nap, which seemed really odd.

For me, they should have developed that "hatred" she has for Bond even more, and walk that fine line of tension. Maybe have Bond fall for her first, and I think it would make sense because he had a version of that tension with Vesper. Then have the train scene be a moment of conflict for her as when she helps Bond, she seems to find feelings developing.

In the car on the way to the base, make it more Madeleine notices that Bond takes her to comfort her. She's conflicted but she takes his hand.

I also think it would've been more interesting if Bond didn't tell Madeleine that Mr. White died, or just says that he was dead when he found him and found clues to her, or something. Just to make that scene in Blofeld's base where she finally sees it be more meaningly and gives more of a reason why Bond wouldn't want her to see it.

And then when you get to the part with the drill it can be more of a conflict. Is Madeleine gonna try and save him? No. Yes. We know she hated him at first, and know she knows he helped her father kill himself, but she did also feel something for him. And she knows he wants to help her.

And then she decides to save him. No I love you. They just find this level of appreciation for each other in this moment, and then, in London, I think Madeleine and Bond should be kidnapped in the car crash instead of her going off on her own for no reason.

Then by the bridge sequence, the conflict with Bond and Madeleine, and Mr. White's death, and more ongoing conversations about whether Bond's life is worth it... have him walk towards her. Throw the gun maybe and then they go off together - leaving all the I love you stuff for No Time to Die after an appropriate amount of time.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    They should have really played up the idea that she really didn't like him at first, because she really switches after she awakens and they find the secret room, which is really odd. It's like her frustration towards Bond just went away after a nap, which seemed really odd.

For me, they should have developed that "hatred" she has for Bond even more, and walk that fine line of tension. Maybe have Bond fall for her first, and I think it would make sense because he had a version of that tension with Vesper. Then have the train scene be a moment of conflict for her as when she helps Bond, she seems to find feelings developing.

In the car on the way to the base, make it more Madeleine notices that Bond takes her to comfort her. She's conflicted but she takes his hand.

I also think it would've been more interesting if Bond didn't tell Madeleine that Mr. White died, or just says that he was dead when he found him and found clues to her, or something. Just to make that scene in Blofeld's base where she finally sees it be more meaningly and gives more of a reason why Bond wouldn't want her to see it.

And then when you get to the part with the drill it can be more of a conflict. Is Madeleine gonna try and save him? No. Yes. We know she hated him at first, and know she knows he helped her father kill himself, but she did also feel something for him. And she knows he wants to help her.

And then she decides to save him. No I love you. They just find this level of appreciation for each other in this moment, and then, in London, I think Madeleine and Bond should be kidnapped in the car crash instead of her going off on her own for no reason.

Then by the bridge sequence, the conflict with Bond and Madeleine, and Mr. White's death, and more ongoing conversations about whether Bond's life is worth it... have him walk towards her. Throw the gun maybe and then they go off together - leaving all the I love you stuff for No Time to Die after an appropriate amount of time.

Or maybe he could just have banged her in the speedboat at the end and then we never hear from her again?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

Or maybe he could just have banged her in the speedboat at the end and then we never hear from her again?
    In the Connery version of Spectre - probably.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I get the sense that the moment in Spectre where Blofeld shows the videotape of Mr. White shooting himself and Bond is crying out for Madeleine not to watch was intended to send a different message, but unfortunately as mentioned the relationship seems too rushed for me to buy into it, personally. I feel that we have to put these thoughts aside for No Time To Die as it seems based upon the trailer they are head over heels for one another following the events of the former film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    What intrigues me is that NTTD has a whole different crew behind it rather than the same people that did SP, so I'm curious to how they handle that.
    Maybe it will take The Last Jedi approach and forget the film before it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Octopussy wrote: »

It’s gonna be different but not that 360 degree different. TLJ was actually the opposite.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think NTTD will probably work in some of the things we've talked about. We've spent a long time discussing Bond and Swann's relationship as not being believable, they "fall in love too quickly", and they don't actually know each other very well. Well, by the looks of it, we were certainly right about that. It looks as though the Matera stuff is not that long after the events of SP, when the adrenaline of the situation has subsided and they actually have to spend some downtime together. In NTTD, Bond looks like he is about to get to know the real Madeleine Swann.

If they can make that plot element, that relationship, seem organic then the film will already be something to appreciate writing-wise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    No Time to Die does already benefits from giving the relationship time, even in Matera.
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Fleming’s Bond (regardless of how offended modern audiences may be by his biases) could not be black (or Latino, Asian, etc).

EON's Bond is a different entity than Fleming's Bond. That bridge has been crossed a long time ago with camp, terrible CGI, and all sorts of ridiculous things, yet people expect Bond to be strictly Fleming lore when it comes to skin color.

I expect Bond to NOT be a different entity than Fleming's Bond, even though that bridge has been crossed many times over the years.

And when EON do annoyingly cross that bridge, they often try to bring it back directly afterwards (YOLT>OHMSS, MR>FYEO, DAD>CR, etc.)

They never stray too far from the origins of Bond, regardless of ridiculous wolf whistle car stunts, Tarzan yells, CGI ice surfing, double taking pigeons, invisible cars, etc.)

I could easily buy Idris Elba in the role for the modern era because he does have the right swagger and edge to pull it off as Bond. But that window passed IMO because now he’s too old for it. Same with Fassbender, who would have been an ideal 1950s period Bond.

More like The Rise Of Skywalker approach.Given that movie did all it could to retcon what The Last Jedi did and actually seemed like an apology for it.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

More like The Rise Of Skywalker approach.Given that movie did all it could to retcon what The Last Jedi did and actually seemed like an apology for it.

They’re not picking up everything SP established in order to retcon it. On the contrary Cary clearly wanted to expand it, since there was a lot of cool but underdeveloped material.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

That's what I meant! Got the movies confused, ha!
    To do the equivalent of what The Rise of Skywalker did, the latest Bond film would have to do something like reveal that Blofeld was never Oberhauser all along but rather was a guy named Blofeld who assumed Oberhauser's identity and went through plastic surgery to look like him, even though he went onto ditch Oberhauser's name anyway. That's the level of stupid TROS worked on.

As dumb as the foster brother thing is, I rather NTTD just flat out never bring it up again rather than work to retcon it. Blofeld already has more grievances with Bond than just the daddy issues, like foiling the Nine Eyes plot and getting him arrested by the government. The foster brother thing would just be moot by that point.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,541
    To do the equivalent of what The Rise of Skywalker did, the latest Bond film would have to do something like reveal that Blofeld was never Oberhauser all along but rather was a guy named Blofeld who assumed Oberhauser's identity and went through plastic surgery to look like him, even though he went onto ditch Oberhauser's name anyway. That's the level of stupid TROS worked on.

As dumb as the foster brother thing is, I rather NTTD just flat out never bring it up again rather than work to retcon it. Blofeld already has more grievances with Bond than just the daddy issues, like foiling the Nine Eyes plot and getting him arrested by the government. The foster brother thing would just be moot by that point.

I believe they will show their brother love but Blofeld won't be talking about his father and daddy Issues anymore which is good thing imo.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 822
    Given the WB statement "we are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release" makes me feel like it is inevitable that NTTD will release in late 2020 in Europe and mid 2021 at best in the USA. Can't say I'm too happy about that, being in the USA myself. Does that count as a concern or niggle?
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 440
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    Given the WB statement "we are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release" makes me feel like it is inevitable that NTTD will release in late 2020 in Europe and mid 2021 at best in the USA. Can't say I'm too happy about that, being in the USA myself. Does that count as a concern or niggle?

I don't know if you should be too worried about them releasing Tenet worldwide weeks or even months ahead of the US date.

"One source in close contact with the studios tells Variety that if Warner Bros. and Disney were facing a scenario in which Europe and Asia open first with “Tenet” and “Mulan” followed by the U.S. a couple of weeks later, “they’d do it every day of the week.” “The problem is they don’t know when the U.S. market is going to open up, and they’re not comfortable going longer than two weeks due to piracy.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-global-box-office-international-exhibitors-forgotten-1234710870/
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,343

I think Bond will wait for an optimal window even if it takes waiting November 21. The same can’t be said about WB since they’re not in a position to postpone the film until everything is kind of “pre-Covid”. Too many movies to release and that will be ready to be released.

I don't know if you should be too worried about them releasing Tenet worldwide weeks or even months ahead of the US date.

"One source in close contact with the studios tells Variety that if Warner Bros. and Disney were facing a scenario in which Europe and Asia open first with “Tenet” and “Mulan” followed by the U.S. a couple of weeks later, “they’d do it every day of the week.” “The problem is they don’t know when the U.S. market is going to open up, and they’re not comfortable going longer than two weeks due to piracy.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-global-box-office-international-exhibitors-forgotten-1234710870/

Good point, thanks!
  • At this point, I don't really have any concerns or niggles about NTTD at all - I just want the film to come out. Nothing else about the film matters at this point!
    At one point I did not have any niggles but as more info seeps out the more I'm beginning to worry about the story as well as the release problem.
    delfloria wrote: »
    At one point I did not have any niggles but as more info seeps out the more I'm beginning to worry about the story as well as the release problem.

It will be incredibly disappointing to have waited all this time if it's not one of the best Bond films.
  • MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago
    It won’t be. The best Bond films aren’t cobbled together by script doctors two weeks before shooting starts.

If anyone has any confidence in this product (I hesitate to call it a film) at this stage they’re in La La Land.
    MeetBond wrote: »
    It won’t be. The best Bond films aren’t cobbled together by script doctors two weeks before shooting starts.

If anyone has any confidence in this product (I hesitate to call it a film) at this stage they’re in La La Land.

From Russia with Love was a mess until they got into the editing suite!
    Heck, TND started filming WITHOUT a finished script. Granted, I rank it at #23, but I know it's a big favorite among a certain generation of fans.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 2,436
    Heck, TND started filming WITHOUT a finished script. Granted, I rank it at #23, but I know it's a big favorite among a certain generation of fans.

Indeed, if you take all the action out of that film you're probably left with about 20mins of film!
    My biggest concern is that NTTD will lead to an even longer gap next time. My other concern is anything after NTTD becoming one offs, meaning no full blown era to follow, just sporadic occasional Bond films.
    As for NTTD itself I fully expect it to be the definitive Craig Bond film making the '06 CR look like the '67 CR.
  • MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago

The issue here is that they “winged it” on TND because they committed to two-year turnaround. And made the deadline.

The situation we find ourselves in now is a flagging team “winging it” after a cushy four year break.

DAD and SPECTRE both had three years gaps and both are appreciably worse than TND.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Maybe it will take The Rise of Skywalker approach and forget the film before it.
    Fixed that for you. The Last Jedi didn't ignore anything from The Force Awakens, it just went in a direction which was different than what anyone expected.