Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

Comments

This whole "wait to see the movie" argument means little to nothing. We have enough dialogue/directives from the creatives at this point (plus their particular political leanings) to have a good understanding where this might be going. Plus, considering the recent shifting of male-centrist film tropes to more feminist attitudes within our culture the last few years, this current incarnation of Bond is potentially troubling to say the least.

Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Terminator, MCU (slightly) all went down this rode and there is major evidence to suggest Bond will follow suit, especially considering the comments and moves Eon has made thus far. We haven't seen the movie yet, true, but the writing's on the wall.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    This whole "wait to see the movie" argument means little to nothing. We have enough dialogue/directives from the creatives at this point (plus their particular political leanings) to have a good understanding where this might be going. Plus, considering the recent shifting of male-centrist film tropes to more feminist attitudes within our culture the last few years, this current incarnation of Bond is potentially troubling to say the least.

Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Terminator, MCU (slightly) all went down this rode and there is major evidence to suggest Bond will follow suit, especially considering the comments and moves Eon has made thus far. We haven't seen the movie yet, true, but the writing's on the wall.

Then don't go and see it.

You come on here and you've said the same thing over and over like a broken record. Why? What's the point of that?

You've stated your belief and made it quite clear. So why keep repeating it? Those who want to see this film (the majority of the members here, I'm sure), are still going to see it despite what you keep trying to sell.

@The_Reaper surely there are other Bond topics that interest you and can engage people in discussion?
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 3,279
    peter wrote: »

You come on here and you've said the same thing over and over like a broken record. Why? What's the point of that?

You've stated your belief and made it quite clear. So why keep repeating it? Those who want to see this film (the majority of the members here, I'm sure), are still going to see it despite what you keep trying to sell.

@The_Reaper surely there are other Bond topics that interest you and can engage people in discussion?

I agree. I'm outlining my fears for the worst with this movie, but the one thing that is keeping me hanging in there at the moment, and still have hope that it may not be as bad as I'm guessing it may be, is that there is very little we know about the story.

I could still be pleasantly surprised, and NTTD may yet deliver lots of Fleming scenes, maybe even Shatterhand's garden of death, which is why I am waiting for November to see what the outcome will be.

Here's hoping.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I see where you are coming from. A lot of Film and TV has become so pious in it's sanctimonious form and it's getting tiresome.

But i'm still clinging to the hope that NTTD won't take this over travelled road and just be a really good Bond film with no self righteous 'agenda'

This is how the internet works. We go round and round in a discussion; point to counterpoint. If your position is so strong it shouldn't matter what I say. I'm simply pointing out the denial many people have and hoping to prepare some for the reality of the situation.

I see where you are coming from. A lot of Film and TV has become so pious in it's sanctimonious form and it's getting tiresome.

But i'm still clinging to the hope that NTTD won't take this over travelled road and just be a really good Bond film with no self righteous 'agenda'

If I'm wrong I'll be ecstatic.
  • peterpeter Toronto

This is how the internet works. We go round and round in a discussion; point to counterpoint. If your position is so strong it shouldn't matter what I say. I'm simply pointing out the denial many people have and hoping to prepare some for the reality of the situation.

You're right, it doesn't matter what you say. I and others are not affected by your constant presumptions; we will see for ourselves come November. It may be a great Bond film, it may be a steaming pile. But most will make their decisions soon after a 2h and 45 minute film is finished-- a film that know little to nothing about.

Apart from you selflessly "prepar(ing)" us "for the reality of the situation", and saving us from our "denials" (by the way, what are we in denial about?), do you have any other agenda? Is it preparing us, like you claim? Or is there something else?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,043

Well thanks mate for preparing us, preparing us for what exactly?

You're right, it doesn't matter what you say. I and others are not affected by your constant presumptions; we will see for ourselves come November. It may be a great Bond film, it may be a steaming pile. But most will make their decisions soon after a 2h and 45 minute film is finished-- a film that know little to nothing about.

Apart from you selflessly "prepar(ing)" us "for the reality of the situation", and saving us from our "denials" (by the way, what are we in denial about?), do you have any other agenda? Is it preparing us, like you claim? Or is there something else?

This is my point. You are acting like we have NOTHING to go by and that's a lie. We have plenty of evidence to know where this is headed and it's not good.

You go into things (a job, relationship, movie, concert, whatever) totally without any expectations whatsoever? All the world, and every interaction therein, is nothing but a crap shot to you? "Well, here goes! Maybe this will happen, maybe something else! I'll find out when it's over!"

Exactly. If I expect a film to contain elements I have no interest in watching, I simply won't spend my money to see it. Doesn't matter if it's Bond or any other standalone film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If GoldenEye came out today @The_Reaper would utterly hate it for supposedly pushing a feminist/PC agenda.
    One has to feel sorry for the white marginalised male.
    It's a fine line on what might make me skip a Bond film in the cinema.

I asked a friend awhile back what would have to be so screwed up about a new Bond film to make him want to avoid it. He said if it became an apocalyptic Bond he might lose interest.

Pretty much anything that makes the film series or character unrecognizable as Bond is it for me. Though there's still a vast variety in styles and tones regardless.

I think Fukunaga respects Bond enough to have not turned this into one of the lesser entries. I'm hoping NTTD breaks the tradition of the actor's last Bond film being his worst (an opinion I don't always agree with).
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    If GoldenEye came out today @The_Reaper would utterly hate it for supposedly pushing a feminist/PC agenda.

And TND just as much, i bet someone could easily cut a "woke" trailer out of both these films, just to prove a point to the easily offended.

You are aware that all these conspiracy theories points apply to all the Bond films from the last 30 years? Did you not like any of those?

Bond films are always non political, no matter who's involved.

I agree though that female-centricism has become a bandwagon in 2019, but from the trailers how could anyone think this film is female centric when Bond is kicking all the ass?

I, myself, was worried BEFORE the trailers dropped, not after. Now it's just tedious reading this stuff.

If you wanna be worried for 8 month, then go ahead, sounds like fun. But i'll pass, thank you.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Shardlake wrote: »
    One has to feel sorry for the white marginalised male.

So fragile, they are.
    00Agent wrote: »

And TND just as much, i bet someone could easily cut a "woke" trailer out of both these films, just to prove a point to the easily offended.

You are aware that all these conspiracy theories points apply to all the Bond films from the last 30 years? Did you not like any of those?

I agree though that female-centricism has become a bandwagon in 2019, but from the trailers how could anyone think this film is female centric when Bond is kicking all the ass?

I, myself, was worried BEFORE the trailers dropped, not after. Now it's just tedious reading this stuff.

If you wanna be worried for 8 month, then go ahead, sounds like fun. But i'll pass, thank you.

+1
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    giphy.gif

Don't. [-X
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,092

Until now. Craig has already stated that Donald Trump will feature in the film. https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/daniel-craig-donald-trump-bond-film-104856767.html

"Daniel Craig has revealed President Donald Trump will feature — in some way — in the next James Bond movie “No Time To Die.”"

Every moment in history is unprecedented. We can't afford to sit back and assume this or that based solely on the films of the past. We can, however, look at recent trends and determine the possible direction a film may or may not go.

If you were to make a bet, which is the more likely scenario? That due to recent shifts in the film industry, combined with the vast political pressure studios are under not to offend people, Bond will be as PC as possible or more like the "misogynistic dinosaur" of the past?
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,185
    This is literally NOMI of Yesteryear, they even storm the lair together...
    tomorrow-never-dies-1997.jpg

Sure, TND might not be regarded as a classic by most, but no one would say it has a Feminist agenda, and that is because Bond is still Bond. He literally doesn't give a flying fart about Wai Lin and what she's capable of. He's not intimidated by her (and you shouldn't be either). Throughout the film she proves herself and then he learns to respect her. Simple.

People act like Nomi is having Bond on a leash in the final battle or something. Those are equal partners, with Bond doing the heavy lifting as always.

This is not a new concept people. They are doing the same thing over and over, and some get their panties in a bunch because they believe everything they read in the news (they should have learned from Bond not to).
  • peterpeter Toronto

+1

Very nice points @00Agent ... it is getting tedious.

And @The_Reaper of course I have an expectation of the film (but I still have no clear idea what it's about), but you're convinced of what this film is from the three minutes of clips you've seen (many of them being cut from the same sequences), of a 2 hour and 43 minute film. It's absurd.

Just don't go and see it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,502

Until now. Craig has already stated that Donald Trump will feature in the film. https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/daniel-craig-donald-trump-bond-film-104856767.html

"Daniel Craig has revealed President Donald Trump will feature — in some way — in the next James Bond movie “No Time To Die.”"

Every moment in history is unprecedented. We can't afford to sit back and assume this or that based solely on the films of the past. We can, however, look at recent trends and determine the possible direction a film may or may not go.

If you were to make a bet, which is the more likely scenario? That due to recent shifts in the film industry, combined with the vast political pressure studios are under not to offend people, Bond will be as PC as possible or more like the "misogynistic dinosaur" of the past?

@The_Reaper : do you take everything literally? It's about story-telling; you can't ignore what's happening in the real world when developing a Bond film (or any film). The "chaos" we have now will be represented in the cinema of the present-- without having to name Trump or Brexit, or for a film to "pick sides".

Jeez man, give it a rest.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

@The_Reaper : do you take everything literally? It's about story-telling; you can't ignore what's happening in the real world when developing a Bond film (or any film). The "chaos" we have now will be represented in the cinema of the present-- without having to name Trump or Brexit, or for a film to "pick sides".

Yep it’s not that difficult to understand...
    matt_u wrote: »

Some people are seeing things that back up their take like literally believing Trump and Brexit will be referenced explicitly in the film.

That is not what Craig said, he said they are both in there meaning they are reference within the plot or a character, the traits or the reaction to that person that situation.

I mean really do you think EON want be responsible for making that clumsy buffoon's ego any bigger that it already is by naming him in their film?

Some people are seeing things that back up their take like literally believing Trump and Brexit will be referenced explicitly in the film.

That is not what Craig said, he said they are both in there meaning they are reference within the plot or a character, the traits or the reaction to that person that situation.

I mean really do you think EON want be responsible for making that clumsy buffoon's ego any bigger that it already is by naming him in their film?

He might be on a screen in the background in the Mi6 briefing room, or something even more subtle than that. Maybe Felix throws a reference to his "new Boss" and his Cuba policies in there, while briefing Bond on his mission. (which would be almost too ironic given that it's Jeffery Wright, one of the biggest Trump haters on Twitter :)) )

Don't expect more than a 3 second remark at best.

They will not make a political statement though, that's not EoN's buisness, and they will not dare loose a big chunk of the US demographic.
  • peterpeter Toronto

And on top of not mentioning names of real people in a fictitious film, EoN doesn’t want to be responsible for gaslighting half of the American population; they’re in this to make a billion dollars. Pissing off half of the US filmgoers is not smart business.
    EoN and the actors have their political opinions and should be able to express them like any other person. But they’re not fools and have no interest in losing money just to use their film as a pulpit. It’s a business and they know how 007 films make money— being political isn’t one of them.
  • Speaking positively here - the way things are going on in the world (or at least the way the media are portraying events going on in the world), I will certainly be very thankful for / need a new Bond film when No Time to Die comes out! I've have no niggles or doubts about it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

He might be on a screen in the background in the Mi6 briefing room, or something even more subtle than that. Maybe Felix throws a reference to his "new Boss" and his Cuba policies in there, while briefing Bond on his mission. (which would be almost too ironic given that it's Jeffery Wright, one of the biggest Trump haters on Twitter :)) )

They will not make a political statement though, that's not EoN's buisness, and they will not dare loose a big chunk of the US demographic.

QOS did it subtly:

"I could (not) give a shit about the CIA or their Trumped-up evidence."
    QBranch wrote: »

QOS did it subtly:

Lol, and i'm sure it will be that subtle again.

I could see something like Felix saying: "Our new government doesn't want us messing around in foreign countries anymore, so that's why i'm coming to you. I need to get this scientist extracted."

The Bond comic from Dynamite called "Kill Chain" had some references like that clevery injected while not being on the nose about it. Basically M and a representative from the US were arguing about the changing foreign policy from their perspectives.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    QBranch wrote: »
    QOS did it subtly:

Not bad. About 8 years before the hate really started.
    qR7B3lTRUccyTeznw8uP8.png_md.png

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,034

To be fair, that's not what he said. The writer of the article put it that way. Craig also mentioned Boris Johnson and that the presence of grandstanding politics would be felt in comparison with Bond as a character, who just wants to get the job done just like he always has. The character is generally non-political, as @peter said. This is fairly in keeping with Bond's history of fitting in to a political climate without actively saying what is right and wrong.

On the other hand, you make it sound like Trump is going to have a supporting role. Maybe he is bankrolling Safin?