Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I heard this talk of poor screen-tests and reshoots the other day? Is there any truth in this or is just someone talking crap?
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    I heard this talk of poor screen-tests and reshoots the other day? Is there any truth in this or is just someone talking crap?

The latter.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Jordo007 wrote: »

The latter.

Thought so. Thanks mate
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    According to Daniel Craig, in his monologue on SNL, the new Bond film NTTD is "one of the best".
    I'm taking Daniel's word for it and now think it will be worth the long wait.

Well im so relieved that Daniel Craig says his new Bond film is '' one of the best '',because if it wasnt he would just say so right? right?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    We’re likely to get a better film than TND, at the very least.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    We’re likely to get a better film than TND, at the very least.

Change TND for SP and I might a agree...
    As someone that enjoys even a film as middling as SP, I can agree with that.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    All this talk of re-shoots is utter horse excrement.

Like someone already said, they don't put tickets on sale for a film that is going to go through re-shoots.

Why not accept this for what it is, it was delayed because of the effects of the Corona Virus and nothing else.

The fact that it has now been upgraded to a pandemic, considering other countries are now looking to close their cinemas, EON, MGM & Universal have made a very shrewd move here.

So cut out all the right wing propaganda quoting it has woke reasons for the delay, it is what it is and all your conspiracy theories are laughable.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,314
    To answer the OP's question, yes I have many concerns regarding NTTD. It seems to have doubled down on all the things that I have grown weary of in the DC era. The long runtimes, the continuation of the SP storyline and the soap opera qualities of Bond and Madeleine bickering. The almost desperate attempt to recreate Skyfall on any level, including the inevitable return of the DB5 and our supposed awe at seeing the guns firing again.

This ever growing idea of seeing a woman put Bond into his place has metastasized into Nomi as 007 and mocking our hero for (once again) being too old and out of touch. Of course Bond's "brother" must also have a homecoming as Hannibal Lecter. Also, I'm sorry to say, some of the forum's most outspoken Craig supporters have gone so overboard in their underpinnings that it's completely turned me off altogether. It makes me sad because I remember all the misplaced hostility when DC was announced as the next Bond. It made me cheer him on all the more. Now, in the new times his followers have come to beggar belief.

With all that being said, I still wish for a great Bond film. Of course I want to see a great success. Here's hoping. It's just my honest assessment, nothing less. It would be great to see DC finish on that high note he's reaching for. Color me surprised if I had my druthers.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 15,840
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    According to Daniel Craig, in his monologue on SNL, the new Bond film NTTD is "one of the best".

Well im so relieved that Daniel Craig says his new Bond film is '' one of the best '',because if it wasnt he would just say so right? right?

Kind of reminds me of Christopher Reeve promoting SUPERMAN IV saying it was up there with the first film.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Shardlake wrote: »
    All this talk of re-shoots is utter horse excrement.

Like someone already said, they don't put tickets on sale for a film that is going to go through re-shoots.

Why not accept this for what it is, it was delayed because of the effects of the Corona Virus and nothing else.

The fact that it has now been upgraded to a pandemic, considering other countries are now looking to close their cinemas, EON, MGM & Universal have made a very shrewd move here.

So cut out all the right wing propaganda quoting it has woke reasons for the delay, it is what it is and all your conspiracy theories are laughable.

Well said.
    pachazo wrote: »
    This ever growing idea of seeing a woman put Bond into his place

Throughout the series the women have always given him lip and put him in his place. This is nothing new from what I can see, beyond her being an actual 00 agent.

Throughout the series the women have always given him lip and put him in his place. This is nothing new from what I can see, beyond her being an actual 00 agent.

Hence, an ever growing idea.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm always curious as to why people need to make up their minds about a film before actually seeing it. Why not just wait for the film to come out, and then make a decision as to whether you like it or not?
    Arguing and getting worked up about a film to the extent that some here do is truly baffling to me. At the end of the day it achieves nothing. There is no winner or loser in any of the arguments.
    Just my two cents of course.
    And he always comes good and wins out. It'll be the same in NTTD. If he's not in the film much, and doesn't save the day at the end I will come back on here and agree with you and apologise. But it's not going to happen. The film is about James Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto

@pachazo : Fiona, Tracy (saved his life!), XXX, Holly, Melina, Octopussy, Mayday, Pam, and especially "boys-with-toys" Natalya, Wai Lin, Jinx....... This is nothing new. I just think that Nomi will be less offensive than the yo-mamma- Jinx and the sexless and lacking-in-chemistry-with-her leading man, Wai Lin.

I honestly am baffled that Nomi seems like this "new" idea; they're shoving "woke" down our throats... Has anyone watched this series? Have you not seen the battle of the sexes, especially from '77 onwards; it was a common theme to be played with. Of course it is: James bond is the ultimate heterosexual. Especially from '77 onwards, he's been on the outside of the politically correct. And the XXX's and Nomi's of the world are there to put him "more" in line-- it creates humour and in other cases (where XXX promises vengeance for her dead lover), tension.

Wish everyone would give the woke nonsense a break until after they've seen it... Jeeeeez...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    peter wrote: »

@pachazo : Fiona, Tracy (saved his life!), XXX, Holly, Melina, Octopussy, Mayday, Pam, and especially "boys-with-toys" Natalya, Wai Lin, Jinx....... This is nothing new. I just think that Nomi will be less offensive than the yo-mamma- Jinx and the sexless and lacking-in-chemistry-with-her leading man, Wai Lin.

I honestly am baffled that Nomi seems like this "new" idea; they're shoving "woke" down our throats... Has anyone watched this series? Have you not seen the battle of the sexes, especially from '77 onwards; it was a common theme to be played with. Of course it is: James bond is the ultimate heterosexual. Especially from '77 onwards, he's been on the outside of the politically correct. And the XXX's and Nomi's of the world are there to put him "more" in line-- it creates humour and in other cases (where XXX promises vengeance for her dead lover), tension.

Wish everyone would give the woke nonsense a break until after they've seen it... Jeeeeez...

I absolutely agree, it's getting really annoying. Even made worse by the fact that we will have to endure this for 8 more month goddamnit.

But to give some of those oversensitive fans a break, the media has been hyping this stuff pretty hard. It has nothing to do with EoN really. Many people simply fell for this media hype of "CHANGE!!!!" "REVOLUTION" "TAMPONS!" lol
    And they still do.

I never used that dumb word "woke", please don't place me in that camp, but the idea of a female replacing Bond and taking his job is indeed something new @peter. I see you are arguing towards a natural evolution but it feels quite forced to me.
    00Agent wrote: »

I absolutely agree, it's getting really annoying. Even made worse by the fact that we will have to endure this for 8 more month goddamnit.

But to give some of those oversensitive fans a break, the media has been hyping this stuff pretty hard. It has nothing to do with EoN really. Many people simply fell for this media hype of "CHANGE!!!!" "REVOLUTION" "TAMPONS!" lol
    And they still do.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I am not woke at all, and I want to see Bond as 007 again, but I can't see how NTTD is being woke by having Nomi as a 00. It's consistent with everything we have seen in the series from at least the 70s.

The only thing I hope doesn't make it into the script is Bond having an issue with the fact that a 00 agent is a woman. Why would he, given everything he has seen in his career? There's no need for a battle of the sexes anymore on this particular issue, especially if she is a 00, because surely Bond knows more than anyone that they don't give out the prefix to just anyone.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I never used that dumb word "woke", please don't place me in that camp, but the idea of a female replacing Bond and taking his job is indeed something new @peter. I see you are arguing towards a natural evolution but it feels quite forced to me.

@pachazo ... the guy quit the service and left. Someone else took the number. I don't think there's anything radical in this at all. I don't find it forced; it is nothing more than "dramatic irony"-- something used in script writing and filmmaking. It helps develop layers of tension and humour.

This has been around for eons (pun intended), however it certainly seems to have got up a few rear ends around here and all sense of irony is, indeed lost.

In the end, I suppose, perception's reality-- even when it's short-sighted.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I didn't know I was brow-beating, nor belittling @Birdleson . I was merely stating that we've seen this time and again over the course of the series-- no matter what the producers and leading ladies say. They're always hyping themselves as "this time" we have a "modern" blah, blah, blah-- they always say this nonsense!! Always.

Perhaps I just drown out the hype-train and give everything the producers and actors say, a heavy dose of salt. What matters to me is not the hype, but what I see on the screen.

So, no intention of belittling and brow-beating. More a complete and absolute exhaustion of some members seemingly turning a blind eye to what has come before in this series (and many times over; the Nomi angle ain't new), and making some argument that a radical woke agenda is being shoved down our throats...
    00Agent wrote: »

And they still do.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I am not woke at all, and I want to see Bond as 007 again, but I can't see how NTTD is being woke by having Nomi as a 00. It's consistent with everything we have seen in the series from at least the 70s.

The only thing I hope doesn't make it into the script is Bond having an issue with the fact that a 00 agent is a woman. Why would he, given everything he has seen in his career? There's no need for a battle of the sexes anymore on this particular issue, especially if she is a 00, because surely Bond knows more than anyone that they don't give out the prefix to just anyone.

Exactly, and i have repeatedly said that Nomi, no matter what she is intended as, will never be as powerful a signal as Judi Denche's M or even Michelle Yeoh's Wai Lin, who was not just an actress but an actual Martial Artist, who could competently beat people up in real life.

Everything after that is just a nice try.

If they really wanna do a serious feminist statement again, lets have Rhonda Rousey beat his ass to a pulp :))
    Rhonda as a female JAW's type henchman, or any female UFC fighter lol.

The most important part is always Bond's reaction to it all. I don't think he will react any differently than Brosnan reacted to M. Which is basically quiet distain until she proves herself.

Craig already said that Bond is cynical about Nomi because he left that life behind him, and Lashana said that Nomi is like a teacher's pet, going strictly by the rules and wanting to be number one.

So that's where all the tension between them will come from. And it will be glorious.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @peter , sorry, not necessarily you, I meant the tone on here in general (as to the brow-beating).

Ah, understood, @Birdleson-- thank you.

@00Agent and @FatherValentine -- I do agree wholeheartedly with this grounded angle. Bond won't be upset that Nomi is 007-- he'll be "uncomfortable" because anyone is 007. Remember, Cary is a student of the series, and especially CR. James Bond has an ego that has trouble fitting onto an elevator!
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Kind of reminds me of Christopher Reeve promoting SUPERMAN IV saying it was up there with the first film.

Even funnier because behind the scenes Reeve was warning his cast mates that the final version he had just saw screened was an utter disaster. Margot Kidder appeared on Letterman to promote the film and you can tell she’s trying to not be honest about what she really thinks.

I had no idea it had a royal premiere... OOOOOF...
    Bottom line: You can't please everyone! ! No matter how the film turns out, if you're looking for niggles, you will find them. To me, the film is ruined because Bond is wearing his tie clasp too high, for my taste.
    I find it interesting that you say he has an ego. I'm not arguing, but one thing I always liked about the character was his lack of ego - in that he doesn't mind being insulted or criticised because he is 100% comfortable with himself. He doesn't get embarrassed whenever he encounters a defeat.

Don't forget, in CR he will accept castration rather than talk. Any man willing to have that happen to him must have some serious confidence and lack of ego.

Not trying to contradict you here or claim you are wrong, just my take on it.

Anyway, I am off to bed. Sorry for disagreeing and then doing a runner!

@pachazo ... the guy quit the service and left. Someone else took the number. I don't think there's anything radical in this at all. I don't find it forced; it is nothing more than "dramatic irony"-- something used in script writing and filmmaking. It helps develop layers of tension and humour.

This has been around for eons (pun intended), however it certainly seems to have got up a few rear ends around here and all sense of irony is, indeed lost.

Yes, he quit and of course a replacement was found. However, the idea of a woman replacing him and becoming 007 is obviously something we've never seen before. There is no denying this. It is something new. Your exhaustion might be a result of your tireless efforts to defend DC and not being able to even consider another point of view.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No, no, problem @FatherValentine ... I think if I take ego to mean self-importance or self-worth/value, self-esteem, James Bond has loads of this, and this is his cross to bear. He has to learn that his innate self-importance has to be tempered, but it is this self-worth/value/esteem that drives him to WIN.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,185

Yes, he quit and of course a replacement was found. However, the idea of a woman replacing him and becoming 007 is obviously something we've never seen before. There is no denying this. It is something new. Your exhaustion might be a result of your tireless efforts to defend DC and not being able to even consider another point of view.

But why is that so important or special? Serious question, i would like to understand what the problem with that is?

Bond had so many female "equivalents" over the years.
    Triple X being his russian counterpart, Goodhead being his CIA counterpart, Wai Lin his chinese counterpart, JINX NSA... etc etc etc... even Fiona being his female Spectre counterpart.

Now NOMI is part of his own team, ok, so what? The 007 designation has zero meaning as it doesn't even give Bond any superpowers, he could be 006 and it would have no meaning other than a symbolic one. There is nothing distinct about that number. It's not even a title or a pseudonym that the outside world knows him by.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,548

I will explain why this doesn't bother me @pachazo : it's the same gig with a "twist"; it's the same as we've seen before, but... Now she has the 007 number!!

It's not any more shocking to me than Wai Lin being his exact counter part in TND, or XXX in TSWLM. It's the same thing with a "twist".

A familiar note in scriptwriting/filmmaking-- "make it the same, but different."

This doesn't seem forced, nor does it seem "new".

And it has nothing to do with my great fondness for Craig. It's no secret he and Connery are my favourites. I admit that-- with all the faults attached. You should suffer as my wife does when I go on about Daniel-- I'm pathetic. Truly I am.

But my point of view re: Nomi and her 00-status has nothing more to do than cinematic and screenwriting tropes of Bond and filmmaking and writing in general. They're not breaking the mold here. Not even close. It's familiar with a twist.

This is a mere sub-plot to further develop the characters (or players), and drive the main character to the main plot... That's it. No more. No less. And certainly not radical in any way.