NTTD & Corona

Comments

MeetBond wrote: »
    Look please into the production of IT Chapter 1 - Fukunaga was dumped at great expense from the film. The difference there is that Warner Bros brought in a workman to deliver the film on time and basically mop up Fukunaga’s mess.

Universal gave Eon carte blanche, and Eon let the bleeding go unchecked - the finances are what Universal is out for blood over, but we can also see morale has gone since the days of Cubby. Eon offers no loyalty, so receives none. Why they hired Fukunaga knowing full well his history is still a mystery - but one they were happy to overlook pre-Covid. “You will never have lunch in this town again” very much the edict from on high, according to inside word.

Mr Fukunaga now has two high profile behind the scenes fiascos to his name - but this is the most costly, and money talks. We can expect Mr Fukunaga to stand down from this project. Many voices within Universal are calling for his resignation, and for Bond to go to a different studio. They will be happy to see the back of Eon. They see no future in a franchise that offers at best two movies per decade. New audiences are not coming on board.

This has me in stitches! I think I might contact my previous employer and tell them I want to resign!
    All this talk about "Universal's money" when it was actually MGM financing the film, with Universal only involved in non-US marketing and distribution.... (Unlike Sony which put up some of the budget)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Look please into the production of IT Chapter 1 - Fukunaga was dumped at great expense from the film. The difference there is that Warner Bros brought in a workman to deliver the film on time and basically mop up Fukunaga’s mess.

Universal gave Eon carte blanche, and Eon let the bleeding go unchecked - the finances are what Universal is out for blood over, but we can also see morale has gone since the days of Cubby. Eon offers no loyalty, so receives none. Why they hired Fukunaga knowing full well his history is still a mystery - but one they were happy to overlook pre-Covid. “You will never have lunch in this town again” very much the edict from on high, according to inside word.

Mr Fukunaga now has two high profile behind the scenes fiascos to his name - but this is the most costly, and money talks. We can expect Mr Fukunaga to stand down from this project. Many voices within Universal are calling for his resignation, and for Bond to go to a different studio. They will be happy to see the back of Eon. They see no future in a franchise that offers at best two movies per decade. New audiences are not coming on board.

This has me in stitches! I think I might contact my previous employer and tell them I want to resign!

Absolutely. There's a guy that I did a job for last year, during which I made some suggestions about how I felt it could be done better; the finished product then couldn't be released for reasons beyond my control. I no longer really have any work to do for him, but I will call him and tell him that I feel compelled to resign anyway.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Buncha cheerleaders, you all!
    Director's Guild of America Section 7-503
    A Director who is replaced after directing ninety percent (90%) but less than one hundred percent (100%) of the scheduled principal photography of any motion picture shall be the Director of the film entitled to all the post-production creative rights set forth in this Article 7, unless (a) the Director was primarily responsible for causing the motion picture to be “over budget” or (b) the substituting Director was required to direct more than ten percent (10%) of all principal photography for the picture."

"The Employer may not schedule additional photography to avoid the express intent of this provision and has the burden of proving the necessity of such additional photography."

"A Director who has directed one hundred percent (100%) of the scheduled principal photography of a motion picture may not be replaced except for gross willful misconduct."
  • Certainly, Fukunaga's initial choice of Romer as composer was a costly error which wasted valuable time. Romer's scores contained little to suggest he was right for Bond, though I respect his work. More significantly, it should have been possible to work through the issues with Danny Boyle, to keep him on board and so meet the October 2019 premiere date and so avoid Covid-19.

Instead, NTTD is stranded in Corona Hell with even 2021 not certain as the year of release. There is a case that having been delayed for so long why not delay until 2022, the 60th anniversary year. Certainly the anniversary angle might be good publicity.
  • MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago
    DarthDimi wrote: »

And this is what it narrows down to. None of the above is about the actual film; it's about getting your candy often and good. It's about being spoonfed promotional material; but not just that, it also has to be up to your standards. The livestream wasn't good enough, the teaser poster was a letdown. Allow me to rephrase that rhetorical question: "How much is enough before consumers are happy?" Because fans want a good movie; consumers, however, want "stuff".

You seem to be under the impression we have a movie. As it stands, we have insulting promotional material AND no movie. The worst of both worlds.

Some people will just happily have sand kicked in their face over and over again and still ask for more. Have some self respect.

Saltzman made some great movies, seemed to love James Bond, and handed the reins over to someone else when he was unwilling/unable to continue. Something the Broccolis should look to as a model of smart behaviour. Saltzman isn’t to blame for Broccoli sinking $30 million into a Boyle preproduction without even once talking to him about his vision. Saltzman isn’t to blame for Craig wanting three years off after enjoying a pampered $20 million payday for Spectre. Saltzman isn’t to blame for Fukunaga placing his ego over his job and creating disaster after disaster.

I am calling now for Fukunaga to resign from the film and am not alone - Universal is out for its pound of flesh for their new investment being torpedoed. Other studios grateful they dodged a bullet when they missed out on the Bond deal.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I can't blame Cary for Bringing in Romer. Mendes was allowed to bring in Newman. And even if Newman's score wasn't brassy but atmospheric, it still retained hints of the Bond style in a Subtle way.

Out of sheer curiosity, I want to hear what Romer created for Bond. But I think we could say he went too eclectic with Bond. Like Mendes, Cary gave his Composer a chance....just that EON didn't like it.

Romer is more comfortable with indie and drama films. But this is what an action track by Romer sounds like though. Maybe it's what his Bond Score sounded like....Just maybe.

• MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago
    It’s the responsibility of the director to know what they want and put the right people in place to deliver it. Guy Hamilton didn’t go back to the drawing board again and again to find new creative talent when things didn’t work out. He either made a wise decision off the bat or did as he was damn well told by Broccoli and Saltzman.
    Certainly, Fukunaga's initial choice of Romer as composer was a costly error which wasted valuable time. Romer's scores contained little to suggest he was right for Bond, though I respect his work. More significantly, it should have been possible to work through the issues with Danny Boyle, to keep him on board and so meet the October 2019 premiere date and so avoid Covid-19.

Instead, NTTD is stranded in Corona Hell with even 2021 not certain as the year of release. There is a case that having been delayed for so long why not delay until 2022, the 60th anniversary year. Certainly the anniversary angle might be good publicity.

It is actually more common than you might think that composers get replaced.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You seem to be under the impression we have a movie. As it stands, we have insulting promotional material AND no movie. The worst of both worlds.

Okay, so what do we have? Tell us. A rough cut? Or not even that? Tell us, in what stage of production are we?

Some people will just happily have sand kicked in their face over and over again and still ask for more. Have some self respect.

What are you talking about? I'm not begging for stuff to bridge the gap between two films. I just want a good film and I'm willing to wait for it, patiently. You seem to be working from the "please give us something, I can't handle any more delays" playbook.
    Saltzman made some great movies, seemed to love James Bond, and handed the reins over to someone else when he was unwilling/unable to continue. Something the Broccolis should look to as a model of smart behaviour. Saltzman isn’t to blame for Broccoli sinking $30 million into a Boyle preproduction without even once talking to him about his vision. Saltzman isn’t to blame for Craig wanting three years off after enjoying a pampered $20 million payday for Spectre. Saltzman isn’t to blame for Fukunaga placing his ego over his job and creating disaster after disaster.

No no, do not avoid the actual topic, which is that if Saltzman hadn't sold his shares to outsiders, we could easily have gotten quite a few more Bond movies, including a third Dalton Bond, by now. Yes, he loved Bond; that's irrelevant.
    I am calling now for Fukunaga to resign from the film and am not alone - Universal is out for its pound of flesh for their new investment being torpedoed. Other studios grateful they dodged a bullet when they missed out on the Bond deal.

Fine. You don't like Craig, you don't like Fukunaga, you don't like how EON is doing things. But you want the film so badly, any further delays only increase your contempt for these people. Makes me wonder what keeps you hanging around in this thread at all?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690

Where have I read such vitriol thrown at Cary Fukunaga before...

@Univex The question is not if everything is fine or not. The question is: should we expect complete dedication from our Bond directors or not? I want Bond directors to be as dedicated as David Fincher is when he makes a film. Could you imagine David Fincher going on vacation to the other side of the planet for God knows how long while his latest movie is in post-production? The very idea is ludicrous!
    Meanwhile CJF is on vacation in Nihi Sumba Island
    The director of the movie is on vacation on the other side of the planet when he should be very busy leading the post-production?! What on earth is going on with this film???

Someone please tell me that photo was taken a long time ago and Cary is NOT in Indonesia at this very moment!

:-?
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 614
    I don't think it's possible to remove Fukunaga's name from the credits for Guild reasons even if EON wanted to (and it's far too late to fire him, since the production is apparently finished and the film edited), but I'm pretty certain Fukunaga will be blacklisted for the reasons @MeetBond has already mentioned. I was surprised EON even approached him after the IT fiasco.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Well, this was fun while it lasted.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The world truly has gone mad. Unhinged. Angry. False statements being tossed about. It's concerning.
    peter wrote: »
    The world truly has gone mad. Unhinged. Angry. False statements being tossed about. It's concerning.

TELEMMGLPICT000235713727_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqBSHGRGHg_oZk_Ec3dgP_Qor4OrsmXGYYl75LDT78nrM.jpeg

• peterpeter Toronto
    that's the look @antovolk , lol!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Fukunaga feeling the need/being forced to resign almost 5 months after the film has been completely finished and locked is possibly the single most hilarious and naive thing I ever read inhere since I signed up. Good job @MeetBond you made me smile. For all the others: don’t take him seriously...
    @MeetBond, I genuinely do not understand whether you think the film is finished or not.

You give the impression that you think the film is still in production.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    This is what's known as fan entitlement.
  • Clearly the film is completed, apparently without any reshoots. Whatever, the quality of the film, Fukunaga is the director, his name will be on the credits. When the film moved from a February premiere to one in April, nobody was aware of Corona virus and what it would mean. Even a February opening would have got caught up in the virus.

The good news is that the film is in the can and will be seen. I'm old enough to have been around in the 60s, when the first four films came at annual intervals. The huge advantage Eon had at that time was they had Fleming's books as the basis for a screenplay. Now there is just a word processor and a pile of plain paper. 50+ years on, ideas are at a premium. Now the whole process of writing, financing, distributing is more complex. Having said that, two films in a decade is a little too pedestrian in my opinion.

It would be tragic for the series if NTTD performs disappointingly at the box office which is why I'm moving to a position of supporting a 2022 60th anniversary release. The long wait + the anniversary may give the film added momentum as it's released into a world where Covid-19 is firmly under control.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Paramount is set to delay G.I Joe: Solid Snake to 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hasbro-posts-quarterly-loss-as-pandemic-hits-eone-1304504

Paramount is about to become the first major studio to completely abandon 2020 releases. Clifford the Big Red Dog and Coming 2 America are the final 2 Paramount films still slated to release this year.
    I am calling now for Fukunaga to resign from the film
    Dude, you are a bit late, the film is FINISHED.
    The_Return wrote: »
    I am calling now for Fukunaga to resign from the film
    Dude, you are a bit late, the film is FINISHED.

Ha ha. I think Lewis Gilbert should resign because of the double take pidgeon in Moonraker.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,961
    But, but...if Fukunaga resigns, you know Barbara Broccoli will take the directing credit for herself, and then what will you have gained in your "takedown" of her?

<rolls eyes>
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Meanwhile Tenet will be release in August in 70 territories (not China and US).
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It’s the responsibility of the director to know what they want and put the right people in place to deliver it. Guy Hamilton didn’t go back to the drawing board again and again to find new creative talent when things didn’t work out. He either made a wise decision off the bat or did as he was damn well told by Broccoli and Saltzman.

tumblr_n1lij5xQJ21qzamnko1_r1_250.gif
  • This is what's known as fan entitlement.

Thank you for the brief, accurate assessment of the last few days' worth of content on this thread.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This is what's known as fan entitlement.

Thank you for the brief, accurate assessment of the last few days' worth of content on this thread.

Jup. Sums it up nicely. But you forgot to mention the extra spice: "inside word".

- Creators of stuff owe us more stuff...
    - ... and it has to be the stuff that I fanfic about in my dreams...
    - ... and they have to be fired if I'm not a satisfied fan...
    - ... and I happen to know someone who happens to know that inside word is that so-and-so will be fired.

Also, I want Tamahori to stand down from the DAD production. I know the film is finished, but apparently, that doesn't matter.
    I wonder if the producers of NTTD will be waiting to see what happens with Tenet before they make any further moves? Tenet is supposed to come out in several countries next month, but of course no guarantees with how things are. I’m a little surprised NTTD hasn’t just been delayed again yet, but maybe they’re waiting to see how Tenet does first?