Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Can Loki be Bond?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I just think if your name has come up that many times in press and amongst fans, then the chances are way slimmer. Also, to me, his casting just doesn't seem like a good move... would feel like two steps back rather than trying reinvigorate it after the Craig-era.

I don't think so, EON have always changed the pattern. Another Reboot won't work and imo they know that very well. James bond at his prime is what they should look for, something Turner can deliver.
    I don't think EON have ever had a pattern.

And as for a reboot, it depends what you mean by it. I think a reboot is kind of necessary at this point. Not in the sense of going back to him earning his 00 status, but as in wiping the slate clean narratively and maybe even the supporting cast. Surely there's no way they could carry on Craig's narrative with a new actor? Even if they want an actor in his prime, reboot the narrative, and just don't address him earning his 00.

Also, Aidan's name definitely comes up a lot in conversation with James Bond outside of this forum. Maybe not as much as Elba or Hiddleston (both choices I wouldn't want), but definitely enough to warrant noticing.

Again, I could be wrong, but I just don't see it working with him. In a faithful period retelling of the novels for television? Perfect. For the next 007 in the films whose gonna freshen things up for a new, hopefully long era? I don't thinks so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,099
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I just don’t see it at all with this Turner; with that said, if he were to be cast I would give him a chance.

Callum? Or Aidan? Or both? :P

To be honest, there isn't anyone they could cast that I wouldn't give a chance. It would take a whole lot to keep me out of the theatres for a new Bond film.
    I would have no reservations casting Aidan.

I'd really want him to lead another movie first. I'm not sure he has movie-level screen presence.

Go and watch his filmography?

What do you mean?

This https://m.imdb.com/name/nm2636108/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

I'm not seeing your point..? I know he's been in stuff.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I just don’t see it at all with this Turner; with that said, if he were to be cast I would give him a chance.

To be honest, there isn't anyone they could cast that I wouldn't give a chance. It would take a whole lot to keep me out of the theatres for a new Bond film.

At least one former Bond actor has said Aidan Turner is the right person for the part. Roger Moore, said he thought the actor could pull off playing 007.

“I do think Aidan Turner looks very good,” Moore told TalkRadio in 2016, as reported by the Huffington Post. Moore also thought Hiddleston, then coming off his role in the spy drama The Night Manager, might be a good fit too.

Well said Sir Roger. A man of impeccable taste as always.

He couldn't have said: "I think he'd be absolute rubbish." He was just being nice and encouraging to a fellow actor.

I think that's a bit of an alien concept to some folk! :) He was indeed a gentleman and wasn't going to say anyone is a bad choice.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Benny wrote: »

I'd really want him to lead another movie first. I'm not sure he has movie-level screen presence.

What do you mean?

Not really anything that could be described as leading man in major film series though is there.

I see it, like many others do. It's subjective however. Like I don't agree with your 'faves'. It's all good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just think if your name has come up that many times in press and amongst fans, then the chances are way slimmer. Also, to me, his casting just doesn't seem like a good move... would feel like two steps back rather than trying reinvigorate it after the Craig-era.

I don't think so, EON have always changed the pattern. Another Reboot won't work and imo they know that very well. James bond at his prime is what they should look for, something Turner can deliver.

And as for a reboot, it depends what you mean by it. I think a reboot is kind of necessary at this point. Not in the sense of going back to him earning his 00 status, but as in wiping the slate clean narratively and maybe even the supporting cast. Surely there's no way they could carry on Craig's narrative with a new actor? Even if they want an actor in his prime, reboot the narrative, and just don't address him earning his 00.

Yeah I think that's kind of assured. I actually think a few elements of Bond's 'dinosaur' personality might be minimised too this time: it works at the moment because Craig is playing the 'old dog' version, but making a thing of him having an outdated view of women is feeling a bit tired now so it might be best to just drop it. After all, they did exactly that with Dalton and you don't hear many fans complaining.

At least one former Bond actor has said Aidan Turner is the right person for the part. Roger Moore, said he thought the actor could pull off playing 007.

“I do think Aidan Turner looks very good,” Moore told TalkRadio in 2016, as reported by the Huffington Post. Moore also thought Hiddleston, then coming off his role in the spy drama The Night Manager, might be a good fit too.

He couldn't have said: "I think he'd be absolute rubbish." He was just being nice and encouraging to a fellow actor.

I disagree. He says what he thinks.

He was criticised for saying what he thought regarding Idris Elba around the same time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyedge.ie/roger-moore-paris-match-2018683-Mar2015/?amp=1

“Although James may have been played by a Scot, a Welshman and an Irishman, I think he should be ‘English-English’. Nevertheless, it’s an interesting idea…but unrealistic.” (Sir Roger Moore).

Then he was speaking more generically about the possibility of a Black Bond though. Moore has been nice and encouraging about pretty much everyone rumoured or suggested as Bond. So was Brosnan.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Exactly @mtm, and good enough writers will even be able to mould that aspect of Bond's personality into something new, and more representative of where we're at now. There's so many ways you can do it, and still stay true to the character.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,131

What do you mean?

I think that's a bit of an alien concept to some folk! :) He was indeed a gentleman and wasn't going to say anyone is a bad choice.

Funny how he said Elba was an unrealistic choice. 🤣
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,541

Also, Aidan's name definitely comes up a lot in conversation with James Bond outside of this forum. Maybe not as much as Elba or Hiddleston (both choices I wouldn't want), but definitely enough to warrant noticing.

Again, I could be wrong, but I just don't see it working with him. In a faithful period retelling of the novels for television? Perfect. For the next 007 in the films whose gonna freshen things up for a new, hopefully long era? I don't thinks so.

Disagree,

Sean(Cineamatic/Non-emotional)
    George (Grounded/Emotional)
    Roger (Cinematic/Non-emotional)
    Timothy (Grounded/Emotional)
    Pierce (Cinematic/although his bond was a bit of emotional but not personal enough)
    Daniel (Grounded/Emotional)

There was always this pattern. I believe they will go for that again.
    I am fine with clean slate, with fresh cast but non-personal or less emotional bond at his prime.

I disagree. He says what he thinks.

He was criticised for saying what he thought regarding Idris Elba around the same time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyedge.ie/roger-moore-paris-match-2018683-Mar2015/?amp=1

“Although James may have been played by a Scot, a Welshman and an Irishman, I think he should be ‘English-English’. Nevertheless, it’s an interesting idea…but unrealistic.” (Sir Roger Moore).

Then he was speaking more generically about the possibility of a Black Bond though. Moore has been nice and encouraging about pretty much everyone rumoured or suggested as Bond. So was Brosnan.

I agree, he was definitely speaking about the possibility of a Black Bond, but it came to light when he was questioned about his thoughts on Elba for the role.

They weren’t impolite comments, just his opinion, which the press blew out of proportion as usual.

Brosnan has similar views on the character (according to the press) too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/607357/next-james-bond-white-not-black-pierce-brosnan-idris-elba/amp
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Brosnan did suggest Colin Salmon way back when, though; so it's not unusual for actors to flip flop on these things. They often just say whatever they think people want to hear.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

What do you mean?

From your link:
    "When asked to clarify what he meant by the comments, Moore said that he was referring to the character’s nationality, and had not been asked about Idris Elba at all."

Maybe read the stuff you're posting first.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Brosnan did suggest Colin Salmon way back when, though; so it's not unusual for actors to flip flop on these things. They often just say whatever they think people want to hear.

Didn't Brosnan say Bond should be a lady as well recently? I don't think it was exactly a well-considered bit of thinking (is it ever with Pierce? Bless him), just something a reporter cornered him on most probably.

Quite what relevance ex-Bond actors' opinions on the matter are anyway I have no idea.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 6,677
    This thread, 666 pages later, and going @-) Might as well say it's all been said, close the door for archive purposes and go home. Nah, we'll be here 1000 pages later saying the exact same things.

8f50afbb115b9b64486805cedb0f548b.gif
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Univex wrote: »
    This thread, 666 pages later, and going @-) Might as well say it's all been said, close the door for archive purposes and go home. Nah, we'll be here 1000 pages later saying the exact same things.

8f50afbb115b9b64486805cedb0f548b.gif

My thoughts exactly.
    The concept of the thread doesn't exactly allow for a broad range of discussion, in fairness.

What do you mean?

From your link:
    "When asked to clarify what he meant by the comments, Moore said that he was referring to the character’s nationality, and had not been asked about Idris Elba at all."

Troll.....Yawn.....and I quote;

“According to the Huffington Post, the magazine asked Moore about the prospect of Idris Elba playing James Bond”.

Maybe read the articles you're commenting in reply about first. 🤔🤣

True.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 6,677
    The concept of the thread doesn't exactly allow for a broad range of discussion, in fairness.

True. Very true.

But sometimes I feel this thread needs some Spock.

7h0f.gif

But I guess these will be the next 10000 pages until EON chooses another Bond:

783A.gif
    Univex wrote: »

True. Very true.

But sometimes I feel this thread needs some Spock.

7h0f.gif

But I guess these will be the next 10000 pages until EON chooses another Bond:

783A.gif

🤣😂🤣😂👍
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Turner is in the mix, no a doubt it.
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Turner is in the mix, no a doubt it.

Bang on! Aidan has to be a serous contender.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Whether Callum, Aidan, or even Tina, it'll be nice to see my surname in those credits haha :D
    Whether Callum, Aidan, or even Tina, it'll be nice to see my surname in those credits haha :D

🤣🤣🤣👍👏

I never copped this. It explains a lot.
    :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

What do you mean?

From your link:

“According to the Huffington Post, the magazine asked Moore about the prospect of Idris Elba playing James Bond”.

The article entitled 'Roger Moore says his 'racist' comments about a black Bond were 'lost in translation''?
    So you believe a website, reporting on the Huffington, reporting on what Paris Match, another magazine, asked, over Roger Moore himself? Who was actually present, unlike them. In the article you yourself posted? If that's true and you think Moore was a liar, why are you touting Moore's opinion as so important? And if he said it and the opinion you hold up as an example is one he believed in, why did he then say he didn't say it?
    I read it, I made that clear. I just got beyond the first paragraph, unlike yourself. If you google for this story all you will find is that Moore's comments were misreported. Including the article you linked to yourself, but didn't manage to get as far as that bit, clearly. Did you not even read the headline?

Moore said they didn't ask him about Elba. You think he was a liar and believe anything you read, that's your choice.

From the article you posted:

I'm genuinely staggered that you claim to have read it.

Don't call me names.
    source.gif

What do you mean?

From your link:

The article entitled 'Roger Moore says his 'racist' comments about a black Bond were 'lost in translation''?
    So you believe a website, reporting on the Huffington, reporting on what Paris Match, another magazine, asked, over Roger Moore himself? Who was actually present, unlike them. In the article you yourself posted? If that's true and you think Moore was a liar, why are you touting Moore's opinion as so important? And if he said it and the opinion you hold up as an example is one he believed in, why did he then say he didn't say it?
    I read it, I made that clear. I just got beyond the first paragraph, unlike yourself. If you google for this story all you will find is that Moore's comments were misreported. Including the article you linked to yourself, but didn't manage to get as far as that bit, clearly. Did you not even read the headline?

Moore said they didn't ask him about Elba. You think he was a liar and believe anything you read, that's your choice.

Don't call me names.

“According to the Huffington Post, the magazine asked Moore about the prospect of Idris Elba playing James Bond”. I’m not saying this is correct or incorrect. Simply what was reported.

I called you an internet troll. Because you literally ‘troll’ everything and anything I post. Don’t worry though, it only amuses. 😀

Disagree,

Sean(Cineamatic/Non-emotional)
    George (Grounded/Emotional)
    Roger (Cinematic/Non-emotional)
    Timothy (Grounded/Emotional)
    Pierce (Cinematic/although his bond was a bit of emotional but not personal enough)
    Daniel (Grounded/Emotional)

There was always this pattern. I believe they will go for that again.
    I am fine with clean slate, with fresh cast but non-personal or less emotional bond at his prime.

I can see this pattern. Good point.....I hope we get another Connery type this time round then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

What do you mean?

From your link:

Don't call me names.

“According to the Huffington Post, the magazine asked Moore about the prospect of Idris Elba playing James Bond”. I’m not saying this is correct or incorrect. Simply what was reported.

That's not what the article is reporting, no. What does the rest of it say? Have you tried reading beyond the first sentence?

You're using an article where Moore is directly quoted as saying he didn't say something as proof that he did. :))

You can just admit that you were mistaken you know, there's no shame in it.