Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Moore was working class? Didn't he go to grammar school?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited July 2020 Posts: 740
    My late mother was from a poor working class family, but she went to grammar school. If you were considered smart enough they let you in.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He's good in Euphoria @Pierce2Daniel but he's not James Bond, and I don't think he'll ever be on the radar for that. I'm sure Marvel will try and get him at some point.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Grammar schools to my knowledge in England are not fee paying but select on achievement. So it was/is entirely possible for working class people to go to grammar school.

For example, we used to have tests in primary school to see if we were eligible for grammar school. Not sure what the criteria was but nobody I ever knew got in.

No idea if this happens now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,991
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Cavill had his audition.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-05-15/tom-hiddleston-looks-set-for-bond-role-as-bookies-suspend-odds/

Talking of auditions, Hiddleston in the ‘Night Manager’ is still the most Bondian performance I’ve seen on the small screen in the last few years.

In my opinion his Bond would be a cross between Moore (Gentleman persona) and Craig.

He might need to bulk up first. Too slim for bond, even more than Lazenby.

He looks slim. But it’s deceptive. He’s 6ft 2in. In The Night Manager he’s pretty muscular (there’s a beach scene) and owns the ex military persona.

I find him extremely unconvincing as military. He's far too fey for Bond.

His dad was a policeman in Stockwell, wasn't he?
    Great username, by the way :)
    edited July 2020 Posts: 566

Grammar schools to my knowledge in England are not fee paying but select on achievement. So it was/is entirely possible for working class people to go to grammar school.

For example, we used to have tests in primary school to see if we were eligible for grammar school. Not sure what the criteria was but nobody I ever knew got in.

I see. It's just I went to one for a while and pretty much everyone was from a wealthy family. I only got in on a sports scholarship.

I could take or leave Hiddleston personally. I don't think he's too lightweight. Bond should be athletic not bulky.

I see. It's just I went to one for a while and pretty much everyone was from a wealthy family. I only got in on a sports scholarship.

I could take or leave Hiddleston personally. I don't think he's too lightweight. Bond should be athletic not bulky.

Yes, most would be wealthy I imagine. But plenty were from normal, WC and lower middle class backgrounds because it was a selective school rather than a private fee paying one.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,131

Roger Moore was from a working class background, but had the persona of a posh boy throughout his career. It’s fairly obvious that his personal persona (whether an act or not) was geared toward being perceived as ‘upper class.’

He’s hardly tough or rough anyhow. He played the toff in real life.

The character of Bond is supposed to be from money, privilege and public school. Not some Council house resident who ‘dragged himself up’.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

When I used the word lightweight, I wasn't refering to his actual physical size. I was thinking more about his general presence in a scene - many smaller guys can own a room. Just look at Daniel Craig or Tom Cruise.

Hell, even Peter Dinklage!

Roger Moore was from a working class background, but had the persona of a posh boy throughout his career.

The character of Bond is supposed to be from money, privilege and public school. Not some Council house resident who ‘dragged himself up’.

Who said it was supposed to be someone from a council house? The idea is, taken from the original casting decision to use Connery, that it is easier and more convincing for someone playing Bond to be masculine and rough around the edges and to make them appear more privileged, than it is to take a fey upper class boy and to make them appear hard.

Roger Moore was from a working class background, but had the persona of a posh boy throughout his career.

Who said it was supposed to be someone from a council house? The idea is, taken from the original casting decision to use Connery, that it is easier and more convincing for someone playing Bond to be masculine and rough around the edges and to make them appear more privileged, than it is to take a fey upper class boy and to make them appear hard.

But just because one is from a rough or poor background. Why does this make them tougher/ more ruthless in a military sense.

A good actor is a good actor. Especially in modern cinema. Personal life outside of acting is irrelevant (as long as it’s not not illegal or immoral). Unless the actor is unconvincing in general.

But just because one is from a rough or poor background. Why does this make them tougher/ more ruthless in a military sense.
    This.

A good actor is a good actor. Especially in modern cinema. Personal life outside of acting is irrelevant (as long as it’s not not illegal or immoral). Unless the actor is unconvincing in general.

I was referring only to Cubby and Harry's reasoning for casting Connery. Nobody mentioned poor people or those from a rough background. It was the idea of a rough diamond type. Like Connery. Like Craig. Like Lazenby. Hardy and Fassbender would fall into this type (not saying that they are viable candidates any more).

Back to Hiddleston. I think he's a dreadful choice for this reason.

I was referring only to Cubby and Harry's reasoning for casting Connery. Nobody mentioned poor people or those from a rough background. It was the idea of a rough diamond type. Like Connery. Like Craig. Like Lazenby. Hardy and Fassbender would fall into this type (not saying that they are viable candidates any more).

Each to their own.

I think Hiddleston is a great choice because he is a posh public school toff. This is because this fits the mould of Fleming’s character who isn’t a rough diamond.

When I used the word lightweight, I wasn't refering to his actual physical size. I was thinking more about his general presence in a scene - many smaller guys can own a room. Just look at Daniel Craig or Tom Cruise.

Yes I realise what you mean I was referring to someone earlier who said Hiddleston would need to bulk up.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Each to their own.

I think Hiddleston is a great choice because he is a posh public school toff. This is because this fits the mould of Fleming’s character who isn’t a rough diamond.

I don't see Bond as a toff at all: if you read the books he's an outsider. He got chucked out of Eton, he wasn't part of the toff set.
    Personally I'd get a good actor who's able to play vaguely gentlemanly and tough, rather than get one who is posh and can only play posh and who can't be convincingly tough.
    I have no idea of Craig or Dalton's backgrounds but they both seem able to play smooth and classy because they're good actors.

At least the other suggestions (the Turners, Cavill etc.) I could see winning a fight.
    mtm wrote: »

Each to their own.

I don't see Bond as a toff at all: if you read the books he's an outsider. He got chucked out of Eton, he wasn't part of the toff set.
    Personally I'd get a good actor who's able to play vaguely gentlemanly and tough, rather than get one who is posh and can only play posh and who can't be convincingly tough.
    I have no idea of Craig or Dalton's backgrounds but they both seem able to play smooth and classy because they're good actors.

At least the other suggestions (the Turners, Cavill etc.) I could see winning a fight.

Agreed. EON feel the same, it appears.

Each to their own.

The character is from privilege. Perhaps ‘toff’ is an exaggeration on my part.

Hiddleston was convincingly tough in The Night Manager. Certainly enough to garner praise and links to the role of Bond from the press.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Each to their own.

The character is from privilege. Perhaps ‘toff’ is an exaggeration on my part.

Hiddleston was convincingly tough in The Night Manager.

I don't think so at all, no. I could believe he worked in a hotel, he was fine at that. He's believable at fey prissiness.

As approximately none of the actors to play Bond up until now have been public school toffs or from privileged backgrounds -and many of them have been quite popular- I don't see how it's much of a benefit to be one to play him. Just get an actor to pretend.
    Cavill had his audition.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-05-15/tom-hiddleston-looks-set-for-bond-role-as-bookies-suspend-odds/

Talking of auditions, Hiddleston in the ‘Night Manager’ is still the most Bondian performance I’ve seen on the small screen in the last few years.

In my opinion his Bond would be a cross between Moore (Gentleman persona) and Craig.

I agree 110%
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,302
    Isn't it likely that a future Bond actor is from a middle-class or posh background anyway? I get the impression that most actors (certainly British) breaking through these days, are not from working class backgrounds.

From an interview with Michael Sheen:
    Mr Sheen acknowledges that his middle-class family were supportive of his theatrical ambitions — his mother was a secretary, his father worked for British Steel in the personnel department. Nevertheless, the chance to break through today for those without money or connections has narrowed, he argues. The demise of grants that until the late 1980s covered the cost of higher education in the UK means that those on low incomes may be less likely to choose a risky profession, like acting.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,541

Yes I realise what you mean I was referring to someone earlier who said Hiddleston would need to bulk up.

That was me and i still believe he needs to bulk up a bit to look a little threatening.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Cavill had his audition.

True, but then you could say Brosnan had his in '86.
    Brosnan was their first choice but he was in Remington Steele so their casted Dalton.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Isn't it likely that a future Bond actor is from a middle-class or posh background anyway? I get the impression that most actors (certainly British) breaking through these days, are not from working class backgrounds.

Mr Sheen acknowledges that his middle-class family were supportive of his theatrical ambitions — his mother was a secretary, his father worked for British Steel in the personnel department. Nevertheless, the chance to break through today for those without money or connections has narrowed, he argues. The demise of grants that until the late 1980s covered the cost of higher education in the UK means that those on low incomes may be less likely to choose a risky profession, like acting.

Yes it's certainly a bit of a problem at the moment, so we're left with chinless lead actors like Redmayne, Hiddleston and Cumberbatch rather than a wide variety of types.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 737

Yes, that crossed my mind too. It is a big problem in the industry.

Ultimately as long as the acting is good as Bond I don't mind, but as a wider issue that will impact acting in theatre, TV and film, it is definitely something that affects the industry moving forward.

Well Callum Turner and Jack O'Connell are both from working class backgrounds, and arguably Richard Madden too, so I really don't think it's that clear cut.

Yes it's certainly a bit of a problem at the moment, so we're left with chinless lead actors like Redmayne, Hiddleston and Cumberbatch rather than a wide variety of types.

It certainly narrows the "pool" of actors, that's for sure. Not just for Bond.

Yes, that crossed my mind too. It is a big problem in the industry.

Ultimately as long as the acting is good as Bond I don't mind, but as a wider issue that will impact acting in theatre, TV and film, it is definitely something that affects the industry moving forward.

Background shouldn't matter really, but I think it's interesting that a character like Bond has been played mainly (?) by working class actors.

Well Callum Turner and Jack O'Connell are both from working class backgrounds, and arguably Richard Madden too, so I really don't think it's that clear cut.

According to Wikipedia, Turner (Callum that is), grew up in Chelsea…? Anyway, this was slightly of topic anyway. Carry on discussing actors!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Fair enough, sorry!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    If this carries the discussion too far off topic, please delete this post.

Why is the class background of the actor important? Or said another way: Does Bond have to be portrayed by somebody with a working class background?

Leaving aside the Sheen quote and whether or not working class lads should get more opportunities (they should), how does this pertain to Bond? I never read him as a working class guy. Quite the opposite. He went to Eton and Fettes and grew up around continental Europe learning languages and skiing. He has quite expensive tastes and is at home in high stakes gambling.

Now I agree that I wouldn't want him to be portrayed as an upperclass twit, but where does the working class thing come from?

Do try to bring this back around to topic:
    I'm torn on Hiddlestone with the possibility of him being too posh and aloof being the main concern.

Cavill has too many other things going on and I think I wouldn't be able to see him as Bond and not as Superman/Geralt/the dude from MI.

My best idea yet: Tom Hardy with Christopher Nolan directing in a film set during Corona, so they can finish the "Hardy in a Mask"-Trilogy.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869

Each to their own.

Hahahaha @mtm, "the Turners" :D