Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Elementary had more of a basic cop precedural feel to it, but I came to really like it as it went on. The stories were always interesting and they did a lot with the gender swapped Watson, which was helped by the fact that she was played by Lucy Liu!

Also worth mentioning that Jonny Lee Miller, who played Sherlock Holmes in Elementary, is Bernard Lee's grandson!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,131
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I just revisited Braveheart, and I think Mel Gibson's Scottish accent wasn't that bad, even if it's not impeccable....at least he gave it a go. What surprised me was how Director Kevin Reynolds allowed Kevin Costner play Robinhood with an American accent, even if Costner is a great actor.

Who knows what kind of accent Robin Hood had anyway? The language has evolved quite a bit since then.

Yeah, Definitely not American Lol. I don't know...You knows?....Maybe he spoke a bit of Gaelic as well.

That was laughable. No attempt whatsoever at trying to be even a tad authentic, playing a Nottingham based Lord with a blatant American accent. The American accent didn’t even exist then!!!

Christian Slater as Will Scarlet was even more pathetic.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Kevin Costner as Robin Hood was terrible. His accent as well as his portrayal. The whole film was a mess in fact. Robert Downey Jr as Holmes was not much better. Seriously, I find Americans playing Brits as offensive and stupid as whitewashing. You could call it Americanwashing.

I just call it pointless or bad acting. But I get your point...both examples were laughable, I agree.

Downey JR as Sherlock Holmes was utter tripe. Total miscasting.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We have both a Robin Hood thread and a Sherlock Holmes thread.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yes, let's get back to pitching Aidan Turner! ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Callum* ;)

No problem. Agreed. His attempts at an English accent are excellent!

I know, but the idea of casting an American as Bond comes back from time to time. We have in other films examples of how it turns out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    suavejmf wrote: »

I don't think that can be possible, all foreigners are unable to do it I've been told.
    mtm wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

I don't think that can be possible, all foreigners are unable to do it I've been told.

Troll.......Yawn.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I know, but the idea of casting an American as Bond comes back from time to time. We have in other films examples of how it turns out.

Exactly right. +1.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Considering how much Barbara adores Craig, he could easily suggest an actor to replace him. I think Brosnan suggested fellow Irishman Colin Farrell back in 2004. Albeit, not exactly to Barbara.....I think he just said it out loud. But it could be different with Craig....I don't know, but maybe he might suggest a fellow British actor for Barbara.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think knowing Craig as we do, I think he'd not want to have a say. He'd want to leave to it to Barbara.
    Considering how much Barbara adores Craig, he could easily suggest an actor to replace him. I think Brosnan suggested fellow Irishman Colin Farrell back in 2004. Albeit, not exactly to Barbara.....I think he just said it out loud. But it could be different with Craig....I don't know, but maybe he might suggest a fellow British actor for Barbara.

Farrell wasn’t a bad call to be fair. Could have been interesting.
    Check out the homage to Ian Fleming in Total Recall, him reading The Spy who loved me whilst traveling on the fall.

But no, I'd hate Farrell in the role.
    I think Brosnan was being a little sarcastic when he suggested Farrell. He also suggested Daniel Radcliffe.

Frankly I'm quite glad Craig's response to who should replace him is usually:
    "I don't give a sh*t".

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Is there a reason they never got them all together? At least as many as they could get when Moore was alive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,963
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Is there a reason they never got them all together? At least as many as they could get when Moore was alive.

Well they did the BAFTA thing. Connery was shooting his last film at the time I think (but probably wouldn't have come anyway!)

lkzxwstk1z251.jpg

And there was the Ian Fleming centenary thing (which I went to! :) )
    rexfeatures_805012eq-2.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think Brosnan was being a little sarcastic when he suggested Farrell. He also suggested Daniel Radcliffe.

Frankly I'm quite glad Craig's response to who should replace him is usually:
    "I don't give a sh*t".

Ah right. Yes, if Brosnan suggested Radcliffe as well thats pretty obvious sarcasm! Ha ha.

If that’s Craig’s response to the question it’s a little trite as usual. But I’m also glad he doesn’t want to be involved....leave it to the experts as it were.
    Weren't there rumours he was going to stay on as some kind of producer after he's done playing the role?
    Weren't there rumours he was going to stay on as some kind of producer after he's done playing the role?

I thought that was fan speculation. My feeling is Craig will move on with his life after NTTD is released and the hype dies down.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I thought that was fan speculation. My feeling is Craig will move on with his life after NTTD is released and the hype dies down.

You're probably right.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    These top ten lists really haven't changed in 10 years.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The top 10 fan favourites for the next James Bond, as voted for by fans in our poll (radiotimes), are:

Sam Heughan (30 per cent)
    Tom Hardy (14 per cent)
    Henry Cavill (11 per cent)
    Idris Elba (10 per cent)
    Tom Hiddleston (five per cent)
    Richard Madden (four per cent)
    Michael Fassbender (three per cent)
    Aidan Turner (three per cent)
    Cillian Murphy (three per cent)
    James Norton (three per cent)

Turner at 3%?????? Wha-wha-wha-ah????????
    What, no Luke Evans ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    And then we cut to 2089, and these names are still being mentioned in Top 10 lists haha :D
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    peter wrote: »
    The top 10 fan favourites for the next James Bond, as voted for by fans in our poll (radiotimes), are:

Sam Heughan (30 per cent)
    Tom Hardy (14 per cent)
    Henry Cavill (11 per cent)
    Idris Elba (10 per cent)
    Tom Hiddleston (five per cent)
    Richard Madden (four per cent)
    Michael Fassbender (three per cent)
    Aidan Turner (three per cent)
    Cillian Murphy (three per cent)
    James Norton (three per cent)

Turner at 3%?????? Wha-wha-wha-ah????????

Those are Bond 'noobs', we are elite. I'd like to think ;)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I don't know, maybe there's a reason she doesn't do Cameos. But I think Barbara is as beautiful as the next Bond girl. Maybe she's sort of camera-shy or reticent, coz playing something like Bond's Doctor or Therapist, would have been Cool....I know she's a bit older now, Maybe she should have done some cameos with Brosnan's Bond, and some with Craig's Bond.
    I don't know, maybe there's a reason she doesn't do Cameos. But I think Barbara is as beautiful as the next Bond girl. Maybe she's sort of camera-shy or reticent, coz playing something like Bond's Doctor or Therapist, would have been Cool....I know she's a bit older now, Maybe she should have done some cameos with Brosnan's Bond, and some with Craig's Bond.

Is she even Bond's type? She is very beautiful.