Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

Randy Newman has written a song with a helpful message:

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Surprisingly, Trump did not hold his daily briefing yesterday, instead tweeting "What is the purpose of having White House News Conferences when the Lamestream Media asks nothing but hostile questions, & then refuses to report the truth or facts accurately. They get record ratings, & the American people get nothing but Fake News. Not worth the time & effort!".

Even though he has not retracted and/or apologize for his previous statements about injecting disinfectant, at least he didn't spread more dangerous health-related advices yesterday.
    We live in interesting times and must accept that individual needs are currently replaced by the needs of the many, something of a lesson I might say for quite a lot of western people.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I find the age of American senior politicians interesting. They’re way way older than European leaders on average. I mean even Nancy pelosi is she like 83? Biden, trump, sanders.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I find the age of American senior politicians interesting. They’re way way older than European leaders on average. I mean even Nancy pelosi is she like 83? Biden, trump, sanders.

More prone to dementia, right? ;)

Just kidding. We all know Trump doesn't have dementia, even if that doesn't mean he isn't demented. Watching that SNL video just makes me cringe for a nation that impeaches a president for lying about having sex with his secretary, but doesn't impeach and remove a president when he constantly shows his bigotry and stupidity. And he lies to no end. He has the speech of a 5 year old. The knowledge of a...well...5 year old. He looks like a buffoon. I mean, right after Obama they choose and keep...this?!? And then they have geriatric folk running against him? Where are the young smart leaders out of Ivy leagues? Where is the "hope" they so often speak of?

Yes, this is not a political thread (although it is) but there is this demented buffoon running one of the world's biggest superpowers and every decision that man makes influences us all, particularly regarding this new threat. And it's as scary as Reagan or Nixon having nuclear codes. Or Bush handling terrorism. It affects us all. It's as scary as the virus itself because it speaks of mankind's lack of intelligence in this day and age. And that's bloody scary if you ask me.

And not only Trump, but Johnson, Putin, Kim Jong-un,... What the hell is wrong with the 7.8 billion humans on this planet?!? These are our leaders in 2020? This is mankind? Bloody hell, this is disheartening.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Is there anything in American law that supports removal if the president is incapacitated mentally?

Yes. The 25th Amendment to the US Constitution. Article 4 of that amendment specifies how it would occur: basically, the Vice-President and the majority of the Cabinet have to AGREE that the President is "unable to discharge his duties" and the VP becomes president. This can happen temporarily (if the president is, say, having a medical issue from which he is expected to recover) or it can be a permanent solution (in a situation like the current one.) The problem is that the VP and the cabinet have to actually acknowledge: "Hey, this guy has gone froot loops." I don't expect that to be happening, much as some of us would like it...

Exactly. You'd think that VP Pence--as much of a religious zealot and knucklehead that he is--would see an opportunity to rise to power as President. But he, like the Republican Senators, are too afraid of the backlash in removing Trump. (What we wouldn't give for a Brutus right now.)

Simply put, the Republicans are afraid that only Trump is popular among his base (which is unfortunately the racists, which is why he is "closing" the borders...to appease them and make sure they vote in November).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    And the above has what to do with the Corona Virus pandemic?
    There’s a reason I didn’t want to get into political bollocks about Trump.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,009
    A friend of mine lost his father last weekend. As he is a health worker and lived some distance away, he was unable to visit him in the hospital or attend the funeral, which was live-streamed on Facebook.

How surreal to say goodbye to someone you've known for three decades that way.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 613
    Benny wrote: »

Well, there seem to be two moderators managing this thread: One of them doesn't want members to get into political issues, while the other is content to turn it into Political Rant Thread, Volume I5.

I would suggest the two of you get on the same page and figure out what you'd like this thread to be, because it's getting pulled in different directions due to inconsistent guidelines.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A friend of mine lost his father last weekend. As he is a health worker and lived some distance away, he was unable to visit him in the hospital or attend the funeral, which was live-streamed on Facebook.

Condolences for your friends loss.

Someone I know had a similar situation a few weeks ago.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Well, there seem to be two moderators managing this thread: One of them doesn't want members to get into political issues, while the other is content to turn it into Political Rant Thread, Volume I5.

I would suggest the two of you get on the same page and figure out what you'd like this thread to be, because it's getting pulled in different directions due to inconsistent guidelines.

There are Trump rants directly linked to Corona. Then there are others. But I'll behave, don't worry. ;-)

It has everything to do with it. Politics can be detractors or gateways for pandemics, and a mad man running the biggest world power has consequences on that level and, as such, directly on the world's economy. It has everything to do with it. If I were an American right now, dealing with this circumstance, I'd be terrified and embarrassed.

I'm sorry Benny, but trying to make this a politics-free thread, is simply impossible. We can talk the science of it, the social measures and news of it, the personal troubles of it, but in the end, those with their hands on the strings are the politicians. And free speech about them is what forces them to act appropriately. Besides, most of us, if not all, agree on this matter (The Trump thing, I mean). It's a vast majority and, as such, a democratically valid argument around here.

My two cents, anyway, but if you want me to self censor about it, I will make myself scarce and retreat to the Bond related threads.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm sorry guys. I'm just sick and tired of having to hear about Donald Trump everywhere I go. Every other post on Facebook is about Trump, the news, anywhere you go on the internet. I come here to get away from all that. These forums are my fortress of solitude. But alas, even here I cannot escape the knob.
    Think I'll let this thread run its course.

It's truly awful. I can't imagine what that pain would feel like.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Its cold I wont go into details of the circumstances, unfortunately its the world we live in right now.

Its cold I wont go into details of the circumstances, unfortunately its the world we live in right now.

Likewise, my condolences to your friend.

I am still working out in the community and I have noticed I have become more single minded and disciplined than usual, whatever we all face we have to keep going. I may lose friends family colleagues though I can not allow that to impact on doing a job. I have accepted that if I need to grieve I have to wait until this is allover.

I am still working out in the community and I have noticed I have become more single minded and disciplined than usual, whatever we all face we have to keep going. I may lose friends family colleagues though I can not allow that to impact on doing a job. I have accepted that if I need to grieve I have to wait until this is allover.

Fair play, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns =D>
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I'm sorry guys. I'm just sick and tired of having to hear about Donald Trump everywhere I go. Every other post on Facebook is about Trump, the news, anywhere you go on the internet. I come here to get away from all that. These forums are my fortress of solitude. But alas, even here I cannot escape the knob.
    Think I'll let this thread run its course.

Fair enough, @Benny. I'll leave the subject for other virtual and real geographies. There's been enough suffering, and there's more to come. The forums are a heaven for escapism. But threads like this one, useful as they are, can become dangerous as well. The world is a madhouse now. I agree, let's keep the forums sane. There are plenty of other places to discuss America's idiot president. Cheers, old friend.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Two identical twins in UK have died doing their nursing duties, and while terribly sad, this suggests to me a heavy genetic component to this virus. Not all exposed family members die, in fact most don't. Some never even develop symptoms. This virus is many levels of complicated...
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    As the death toll continues to fall here in New York City, increasing attention is being focused on the “re-open” strategy. Within New York State, gov. Cuomo has announced that some construction and manufacturing businesses – in regions less impacted by COVID-19 – might re-open on May 15th. It is less clear how New York City (as opposed to up state) would be impacted.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-new-york-state-reopening-andrew-cuomo-20200426-fxmgu6koonernpbtjjovovloti-story.html

It will be very interesting to see how (and what) businesses can re-open and sill stay within the social distancing guidelines. I suspect that smaller stores – assuming their floor layout will allow for maintaining distancing – will start to re-open sometime after mid-May. Where that leaves the larger stores, Macy’s 34th street flagship, for example, is an open question. Malls and larger stores certainly have the floor space to maintain distancing, but they are also “gathering” places where it would be difficult to control foot traffic in and out of the locations.

In my own neighborhood, grocery stores and take-out eateries have had strict social distancing policies in place for some weeks now- and they have generally worked. There are, however, several smaller establishments that have closed, because they don’t want their employees traveling on public transportation.
  • Dwayne wrote: »
    There are, however, several smaller establishments that have closed, because they don’t want their employees traveling on public transportation.

Paying those employees well enough that they can afford their own cars is, of course, out of the question.

Yes, I know: that's New York City, where there's hardly enough ROOM for everybody to have & park a car, while I'm in San Francisco where everybody has a car anyway -- despite the lack of available parking spaces. (Don't mind me, I'm just trying to find a reason to laugh no matter how trying the circumstances...)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @BeatlesSansEarMuffs. There has actually been a fierce debate about the role public transportation may have played in the rapid spread of the virus here in the greater New York City area (NYC + suburbs). While efforts were made to periodically disinfect the system (turnstiles, seats, etc..), even during the best of times it can be a breeding ground for germs. In fact, even before the current situation, I carried around Purell wipes and would clean my hands after I exited the subway in the morning. And, if you’ve ever seen a photo of the subways during a rush hour you know that (by definition) social distancing rules are impossible to follow.

The rational for keeping the system open, as you allude, was to allow for doctors, nurses, police, fire, etc. personnel to get to work since many don’t own cars. For a period of time, however, service was reduced as many transit workers, themselves, became ill with COVID-19. To date, I think over 60 transit employees have actually died from the virus.

On a side note, IIRC, one of the first “in-community” cases of COVID-19 reported was in New Rochelle (a NYC suburb). The gentlemen in question, frequently took a commuter train into mid-town (Grand Central Terminal) and then transferred to a subway.
  • Dwayne wrote: »
    @BeatlesSansEarMuffs. There has actually been a fierce debate about the role public transportation may have played in the rapid spread of the virus here in the greater New York City area (NYC + suburbs). While efforts were made to periodically disinfect the system (turnstiles, seats, etc..), even during the best of times it can be a breeding ground for germs. In fact, even before the current situation, I carried around Purell wipes and would clean my hands after I exited the subway in the morning. And, if you’ve ever seen a photo of the subways during a rush hour you know that (by definition) social distancing rules are impossible to follow.

The rational for keeping the system open, as you allude, was to allow for doctors, nurses, police, fire, etc. personnel to get to work since many don’t own cars. For a period of time, however, service was reduced as many transit workers, themselves, became ill with COVID-19. To date, I think over 60 transit employees have actually died from the virus.

On a side note, IIRC, one of the first “in-community” cases of COVID-19 reported was in New Rochelle (a NYC suburb). The gentlemen in question, frequently took a commuter train into mid-town (Grand Central Terminal) and then transferred to a subway.

@Dwayne -- While it's been a few decades, I have visited NYC & used the subway. I'm sure public transportation had to have been a factor in the spread of the virus. Just one more topic we're going to have to re-think while establishing the "new normal"...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    I have been wondering are there people who show no symptoms throughout the time they carry virus during which time they show positive in the tests till the time the germs are removed from the body as the body fights off the germs? In this case, they will be carriers of the disease but will have no symptoms throughout the time they are carriers. There are several cases where it has been seen that the infected person has not even a single symptom of virus and yet it is tested positive.These are known as asymptomatic cases. If this is true then it is really frightening.
    This virus will be with us for next years even when they find a vaccine it will take time to generate enough for the whole world.
    Looking forward to my next 007 and Dune cinematic visit, now you will sh&t your pants if somebody coughs, and there I was thinking that crisps eating or talking through the movie was most annoying.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The forest is too thick. B-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There will be no 'new normal'. The 1,5m society is utter nonsense, it goes against human nature. As soon as there's a vaccine, it will be just like any other treatable desease. Let's say 1 in 10000 will still fall ill, will be treated and a very low percentage will sadly pass away.
  • There will be no 'new normal'. The 1,5m society is utter nonsense, it goes against human nature. As soon as there's a vaccine, it will be just like any other treatable desease. Let's say 1 in 10000 will still fall ill, will be treated and a very low percentage will sadly pass away.

While I'm not pushing any particular version of the future, it seems optimistic in the extreme to think that everything is just going to resume its 2019 shape "as soon as there's a vaccine." For one thing, a vaccine isn't likely to be created for at least a year, perhaps longer. I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that shaking hands upon meeting someone new is probably going to go out of fashion for the next decade or so...