Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52407177

I would love to read @DarthDimi tearing these quotes apart. :)

Especially these:

"So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous - whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light," the president said, turning to Dr Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response co-ordinator, "and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're going to test it.

"And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that too. Sounds interesting," the president continued.

"And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?

"So it'd be interesting to check that."

Pointing to his head, Mr Trump went on: "I'm not a doctor. But I'm, like, a person that has a good you-know-what."

EDIT: I know this post is entering the realm of politics, but I think it is very important to stop the spread of false information; especially those that if put into effect, can have disastrous consequences for people's health.

@DaltonCraig007
    I think those quotes pretty much tear themselves apart. Trump is behaving like a five-year-old trying to explain quantum physics to his parents. But hey, he still has his supporters, so let them believe his every word, sunbathe themselves into skin burns, all the while assuming this is somehow offering all the protection they need. What's next? "No need to worry, Africa. You're practically burning up down there. You're safe from Corona."

All I know is that Trump is offering me tons of quality material to bring into my classroom. "So, my dear students, here are a few lines from You-Know-Who (not Voldemort, at least he was smart and cool and not nearly as evil). Now, please find 5 errors in this man's reasoning--a word I use with hesitation. If you can find more than 5, don't boast. That's like taking candy from a baby. Yes, Jules, he's still the president of America; no, I don't understand it either."

This is downright pathetic.

Here's the thing. If an infected person talks or sneezes, particles with the virus end up on surfaces you may touch five minutes later. When it's blazing hot and UV indexes are high (which, of course, isn't a good thing either), the virus doesn't survive nearly as long on those surfaces as, say, in Winter. But when you're actually infected with it, what, you're going to have yourself radiated with UV? Incidentally, "very powerful light" means nothing in this context, as visible light won't do the trick. But then neither will the UV. You may end up with skin burns and possibly skin cancer, but a virus going parasitic on your cells deep inside your body cannot be stopped that way. Perhaps we can kill it with intense doses of X-rays and gamma rays... and die fast if we don't Hulk out first.

Look, I'd laugh if this wasn't so seriously unethical. People stupid enough to believe Trump may start to act less careful, thinking there's a new magic trick to beat Corona. They may contract the virus and some of them will die, thanks to Trump.

What's even worse is the suggestion that one should drink disinfectant. People commit suicide that way; even in rather low doses, it is still pretty harmful. So what's going on here, America? Your president wants you all dead, or just the stupid people? Either way, revolutions were once instigated for less.

I know what's coming. "Dimi, you're a moderator, you shouldn't write those things. Dimi, he built a wall and put 25 dollars extra in my pocket. Dimi, he keeps those Mexicans away; you should see where I live." Aaaaand? What that idiot is saying right now and how he is handling this crisis, is enough to lock him up for good, either in prison or in an insane asylum. The more Trump gets to have his saying, the more the rest of the world is looking at America with our jaws on the floor...

Thank you good sir.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,600
    The White House says the media has "irresponsibly" taken President Donald Trump's comments on injecting disinfectant into the human body to treat coronavirus "out of context".

At a briefing on Thursday, Trump hypothesised about using disinfectants or ultraviolet light inside the body as a treatment. His comments which have been widely criticised by doctors.

Disinfectants are hazardous substances and can be poisonous if ingested.

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said: "President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasised again during yesterday's briefing.

"Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines."
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Fortunately, everyone can check online what the context was and how it was handled.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Adding the context to most (if not all) of Trump's quotes (since 2016) actually make it worse.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    patb wrote: »
    The White House says the media has "irresponsibly" taken President Donald Trump's comments on injecting disinfectant into the human body to treat coronavirus "out of context".

At a briefing on Thursday, Trump hypothesised about using disinfectants or ultraviolet light inside the body as a treatment. His comments which have been widely criticised by doctors.

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said: "President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasised again during yesterday's briefing.

"Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines."

Peak Darwinism. Coronavirus has come about strictly due to overpopulation (and I might say misuse of Earths resources, depending on the source of the virus). People who want to inject disinfectants into the body, or otherwise follow Trumps advice, let them. Let nature take its course.

Regardless of what the president says, if people think injecting disinfectants is a good idea, we don’t need them.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Regardless of what the president says, if people think injecting disinfectants is a good idea, we don’t need them.
    My first impulse is to agree with you wholeheartedly- but then I think of kids growing up without a parent... hmmmm.....
    chrisisall wrote: »
    My first impulse is to agree with you wholeheartedly- but then I think of kids growing up without a parent... hmmmm.....

Fair enough, reminds me of the whole tide pods fiasco... definitely an unfortunate time for children who don’t have the guidance of reasonable adults.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Adding the context to most (if not all) of Trump's quotes (since 2016) actually make it worse.

So, he now claims that his remarks were “sarcastic”, as if that somehow renders his comments mute.

While I don’t want to go all political here, Its’ actually reveals a lot about his character that while nearly 50,000 of his fellow citizens are being buried (at last count), his first inclination is to “work the room.”

Sad…..

• He wants sarcastic? I gotcha sarcastic right here: Anybody who still believes him is welcome to go right ahead & ingest some disinfectant. What have they got to lose?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let me put it bluntly:
    - either he is ill-informed => a president surrounded by bad assistants is unfit for duty.
    - or he knows he's just spreading a lot of bull but does so with a straight face => such a president is a sociopath and clearly unfit for duty.
    - or he simply is terribly unintelligent or going senile or acting paranoically and "weird" => clearly, such a president is unfit for duty.

His recent comments regarding Corona suggest all three. Oh, and when I say, "unfit for duty", I'm really saying "dangerous" and "a humiliation for all good Americans out there".
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Let me put it bluntly:
    - either he is ill-informed => a president surrounded by bad assistants is unfit for duty.
    - or he knows he's just spreading a lot of bull but does so with a straight face => such a president is a sociopath and clearly unfit for duty.
    - or he simply is terribly unintelligent or going senile or acting paranoically and "weird" => clearly, such a president is unfit for duty.

His recent comments regarding Corona suggest all three. Oh, and when I say, "unfit for duty", I'm really saying "dangerous" and "a humiliation for all good Americans out there".

Absolutely. And that's not politics - I wish it were. It's plain common sense. The man is deranged and plain stupid. And, as such, unfit for duty. Anyone who doesn't see this is unfit for anything that involves any intelectual capacity.

Univex out.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    @ all of the most recent posters: Let me just quickly send in my support for you guys before the mods close this down. :-)
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @ all of the most recent posters: Let me just quickly send in my support for you guys before the mods close this down. :-)

Agreed, getting a little off topic.
    Can I honestly say that I hope his supporters do not take Trumps advice on injecting of drinking serious, if they do they will most certainly not vote in the next election on the account of them being incapacitated or worse dead.

This is not a political statement but what an incredible moron the US has for President and to bad his secret service will stop him form injecting himself.

On another topic the world will drastically change after this pandemic kinda slows down, we will need to find a vaccin that actually works and prepare for the next pandemic that is bound to happen, which would mean some serious changes to the pharmaceutical industry.
    One good thing about Coronavirus : many theaters have put some of their shows on YouTube for free. And among them :

Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller together in an adaptation of Frankenstein ? Oh, I'm there. I'm so there !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2020 Posts: 23,539
    So now, a day later, Trump has retracted his statements about UV and disinfectant, claiming "sarcasm", or so he told a reporter, "just to see what would happen" if he told such foolish things "to reporters like you." Because 'Trump vs. the media' is still a battle we need to fight today; because we've got nothing else on our minds right now.

Yeah, that's really smart. In times of a deadly crisis, with over 20 000 fatalities in New York alone (!), let's report false things one day and turn them around the next day. Clarity and reliable information are, of course, absolutely meaningless in these times; no, instead, let's add insult to injury by performing a few social experiments on top of everything else. Mister "Fake News" is now deliberately--supposedly--spreading fake news himself "just to see what would happen." Let's not forget that this is the same man who, along with his media stooges, called corona a "Liberal hoax". Remember when self-righteous journalists were scoffing at corona not even two months ago? Americans who have lost loved ones to corona... how do they respond to something like that? I'm quite frankly surprised no public lynchings have taken place yet...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Trump is a senile old fool, a sociopath, and a bully. A few years ago, some here were thrilled to announce him as the "president-elect"; they reverently called him "Mister Trump", a man who would bring "a much-needed change for America". Well, I guess he did, in the worst of ways. Now look, Corona isn't Trump's fault, that's for sure. But I keep wondering how many of the corona casualties in the USA could have easily been avoided if a real president had been in charge, giving solid advice, locking things down systematically, fast and with force. I bet the current president doesn't even know the difference between viruses and bacteria.

Don, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash! Even Joe Exotic would be a better president; he'd feed the virus to tigers. ... Oops, that was 'sarcasm', Don.

In times of a pandemic like this one, a true leader
    - has to have all the answers, even if he doesn't (hence, really good advisors, whom he listens to)
    - has to act quickly, rather too soon than too late
    - knowing damn well that many will be displeased, knowing damn well that in the first stage of a pandemic, lives come before any other priority, including work and entertainment
    - has to do what's best for his country, not worrying about the next elections in the slightest
    - has to lead by example, sternly showing people how to behave and what to do and what NOT to do--not by saying that the WHO claims one thing while he himself, for reasons of comfort, will do something else ("they say you should be wearing masks but I'm not gonna.")
    - has to make the unity of his country stronger and not divide people over petty little arguments
    - has to show gratitude to science, not ridicule science

A virus cannot be shot, cannot be intimidated, cannot be bullied or economically boycotted. It doesn't live in a place we can shoot up next, or go away by majority vote. A virus, the smallest "creature" biology knows of, is as potent a killer in the biggest country in the world as it is in the smallest. It neither discriminates by nationality nor by creed, race or sexual preferences. The entire world has failed, I'm sorry to say, to fight this thing together, as one. The way the rest of Europe has turned its back on Italy and Spain, for example, is an absolute disgrace, and yes, I'm looking at my own country too. But many countries have been able to at least respond well at a national level. Good leaders with good advisors and experts make that happen. And then there are some that fail at that level too. That would simply create interesting statistics...

... if it wasn't for all those people dying, suffering. How many didn't have to?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,600
    Trump is a reflection of the Country he leads. How can such a moron end up in such a position? Ask the electorate (its not as if he was not completely transparent in the run up to the election) plus (Im from the UK) we have to be careful of "glass houses" here, yesterdays UK gov press briefing was presented by...."Michael Green" ("over firmly denied" is 100% Trump).

"Shapps's use of the names Michael Green and Sebastian Fox attracted controversy in 2012. He denied having used a pseudonym after entering parliament and, in 2014, threatened legal action against a constituent who had stated on Facebook that he had. In February 2015 he told LBC Radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty, "Let me get this absolutely clear ... I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story."[64]

However, in March 2015, Shapps admitted to having had a second job whilst being an MP, and practising business under a pseudonym.[65][66] In his admission, he stated that he had "over-firmly denied" having a second job.[67] Under the name Michael Green, Shapps had offered customers a "get-rich-quick scheme" costing $497, and promised customers a "toolkit" that would earn them $20,000 in 20 days, provided they followed its instructions.[68] In March 2015, Dean Archer, the constituent previously threatened with legal action by Shapps, threatened Shapps with legal action.[69]"

In the last election, 66% of the electorate in his area thought he was "fit and proper" to be an MP.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I see the non political in the topic thread has been removed.
    I see the non political in the topic thread has been removed.

Yeah, and, honestly, I've been skimming the last couple of pages. The Trump stuff -- he's an idiot and unfit for office -- has been obvious to many of us New Yorkers for awhile, and I'm certainly not going to give the moronic far-right fringe any attention. I'm mostly interested in news about development of a vaccine and how the U.S. re-openings are going to be handled at a state/local level. I've been watching Gov. Cuomo's press briefings pretty much every day for a lot of that.
  • I live in California...our governor, Gavin Newsom, is gaining points in the minds of lots of folks around here for his daily press briefings as well.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,976
    patb wrote: »

What Trump said, given his position, was completely irresponsible and potentially deadly.

Leaders have been removed from office for far less than what the orange clown is doing and saying. But the Republicans around him lack the courage to do so.

Even Nixon's peers knew when it was time for him to go.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Today is Liberation Day. President Sergio Mattarella commemorating the end of Nazi occupation during WW2 and the victory of the Resistance in the time of Coronavirus.

owwrmmo63yu41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=b692991caa270915db5612dfff9d9e93a75d528f
    matt_u wrote: »
    Today is Liberation Day. President Sergio Mattarella commemorating the end of Nazi occupation during WW2 and the victory of the Resistance in the time of Coronavirus.

owwrmmo63yu41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=b692991caa270915db5612dfff9d9e93a75d528f

Whatever one thinks of the restrictions...it doesn't look like liberation right now.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,314
    To watch the leader of the free world, the most powerful man in earth and president of the United States ask his medical team in a press conference whether injecting disinfectant into the lungs is worth investigating makes me wonder whether he should be forcibly removed from office in a coup

No joke. I genuinely think the man is mentally retarded in some capacity, through either age or ego. He is unhinged and incompetent. Is there anything in American law that supports removal if the president is incapacitated mentally?
    The Norwegian government announced today that events gathering crowds over 500, will be prohibited until the 1 September. The previous ban was until 15 June.
    What’s the Norwegian opinion of Sweden’s approach my friend?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 616
    Matt007 wrote: »
    To watch the leader of the free world, the most powerful man in earth and president of the United States ask his medical team in a press conference whether injecting disinfectant into the lungs is worth investigating makes me wonder whether he should be forcibly removed from office in a coup

No joke. I genuinely think the man is mentally retarded in some capacity, through either age or ego. He is unhinged and incompetent. Is there anything in American law that supports removal if the president is incapacitated mentally?

Possibly, although I doubt anything like that would be enforced even if it were on the books. Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's during his second term, and the illness was kept from the public while Vice President George H.W. Bush and First Lady Nancy Reagan basically ran the show. I suspect even now that VP Mike Pence is doing a lot of the legwork for Trump.

Sadly, the Democratic National Committee has decided to nominate a candidate who many of us believe may also be in the early stages of something, Joe Biden. Like Trump, he's facing allegations of sexual assault and is in the pocket of the health insurance industry, big pharma, and probably a lot of other corporate ogres. Of course I'll vote for him (as a symbolic gesture, because my state goes blue anyway), but I can't say I'm too thrilled about it. Really hoping he picks a good VP.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,279
    What’s the Norwegian opinion of Sweden’s approach my friend?

@Matt007 I've not followed the Swedish approach too closely, but as far as I've seen in the media, there have been some questions about their approach. Time will tell how the differences in handling this situation will turn out.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Is there anything in American law that supports removal if the president is incapacitated mentally?

Yes. The 25th Amendment to the US Constitution. Article 4 of that amendment specifies how it would occur: basically, the Vice-President and the majority of the Cabinet have to AGREE that the President is "unable to discharge his duties" and the VP becomes president. This can happen temporarily (if the president is, say, having a medical issue from which he is expected to recover) or it can be a permanent solution (in a situation like the current one.) The problem is that the VP and the cabinet have to actually acknowledge: "Hey, this guy has gone froot loops." I don't expect that to be happening, much as some of us would like it...