The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    jake24 wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    What is it with Scots and money?

I am half Scottish I must admit I do like money and never turn down extra work if I can earn more

Imagine you had been half Scottish half Jewish :)) that must be exhausting.
    Gotta love good old fashioned anti-semitism.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Great interview, very funny
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sean Connery impression by Liam Neeson:

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

This always makes me smile
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690

Not to hijack Sir Sean's thread, but it always amazes me how well-spoken Brosnan is. He seems like a very intelligent and charismatic person. I could listen to him read the phonebook.

Not to hijack Sir Sean's thread, but it always amazes me how well-spoken Brosnan is. He seems like a very intelligent and charismatic person. I could listen to him read the phonebook.

Pierce is respectful and a class act for sure
    Sean will always be my number 1 Bond. No other actor comes close, and no actor ever will either.

Dalton brought facets of Fleming Bond that Connery didn't delve too deep into, which I will always appreciate too, but for sheer magnetism, badass, charisma, coolness, and comedy, Connery was the complete package for screen Bond.

He is one of the few Bond actors to have appeared in all facets of the Bond films - Fleming adapted novels (Dr. No, GF, TB) along with that spy thriller hard edge too (FRWL), the more light-hearted comedy Bond (DAF), futuristic, outlandish Bond (YOLT), and ageing Bond (NSNA).

He did it all, he did it the best, and he did it first.
    Sean will always be my number 1 Bond. No other actor comes close, and no actor ever will either.

Dalton brought facets of Fleming Bond that Connery didn't delve too deep into, which I will always appreciate too, but for sheer magnetism, badass, charisma, coolness, and comedy, Connery was the complete package for screen Bond.

He is one of the few Bond actors to have appeared in all facets of the Bond films - Fleming adapted novels (Dr. No, GF, TB) along with that spy thriller hard edge too (FRWL), the more light-hearted comedy Bond (DAF), futuristic, outlandish Bond (YOLT), and ageing Bond (NSNA).

He did it all, he did it the best, and he did it first.

+1
    cd99ebbbf186003d8453520c05020adb.jpg

Anyone know when this pic is from? An advert? He looks very cool here.
    Cool photo, never seen it before. This depicts the real Sean Connery as he's hoisting a beer instead of a vodka martini and a t-shirt instead of a tux.

Looks like around 1965 as he looks just like he did during TB.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The photo was taken in 1964.
    The photo was taken in 1964.

Thanks
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Cool photo, never seen it before. This depicts the real Sean Connery as he's hoisting a beer instead of a vodka martini and a t-shirt instead of a tux.

And are those tattoos on his arm? That's the working class Scot he truly is.
    Getafix wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »

And are those tattoos on his arm? That's the working class Scot he truly is.

Oh yeah. They had to cover those with makeup on the Bonds, I've read. I've actually seen them due to the clarity of the Blu-rays and high-def.
    Just a quick one.

Here's an extremely rare interview with Sean Connery in 1967, just after the release of YOLT and A Fine Madness. This is a must-see for any Connery Bond fans out there as it answers a lot of unanswered questions about his thoughts on Bond and why he quit the role. Here, we get it from the horse's mouth, as to what it would take for him to continue in the role. To all intents and purposes he would've made another 007 movie if he was given £1m tax-free, which obviously the producers balked at. So, theoretically, he could've made OHMSS if Cubby and Harry had stumped up the cash!! The interview comes in two parts. The second part feels a bit of a retread of the first segment, but there are different answers and responses given to the same questions, so it's worth staying with. The interview is by prominent lawyer F. Lee Bailey who had a short-lived 30-minute interview program, "Good Company", on ABC-TV in America. The interview takes place in Connery's home over a billiard table. Enjoy, dear originals.

bondsum wrote: »
    Just a quick one.

Here's an extremely rare interview with Sean Connery in 1967, just after the release of YOLT and A Fine Madness. This is a must-see for any Connery Bond fans out there as it answers a lot of unanswered questions about his thoughts on Bond and why he quit the role. Here, we get it from the horse's mouth, as to what it would take for him to continue in the role. To all intents and purposes he would've made another 007 movie if he was given £1m tax-free, which obviously the producers balked at. So, theoretically, he could've made OHMSS if Cubby and Harry had stumped up the cash!! The interview comes in two parts. The second part feels a bit of a retread of the first segment, but there are different answers and responses given to the same questions, so it's worth staying with. The interview is by prominent lawyer F. Lee Bailey who had a short-lived 30-minute interview program, "Good Company", on ABC-TV in America. The interview takes place in Connery's home over a billiard table. Enjoy, dear originals.

Great interview!
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I forgot how great his entry was here...

ToTheRight wrote: »
    Just a quick one.

Great interview!

Thanks for sharing @bondsum. Very interesting. Great to hear Connery talking about the role in so much detail. That grudge against Harry and Cubby ran so deep!
    DoctorNo wrote: »

That was very amusing.
    I saw that when it first aired and was surprised he would actually do something like that, especially as it echoed Bond. I would always look forward to talk show appearances with Connery, Moore and Brosnan back then.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 754

That was very amusing.

Did you notice he had his feet crossed coming down, like his old posters. He IS James Bond, for now, forever.

That was very amusing.

Did you notice he hand his feet crossed coming down, like his old posters. He IS James Bond, for now, forever.

Yep, absolutely.
    Both interviews a reminder of Connery's dry sense of humour. And that he played a key part in bringing humour to the character and films.
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    Just a quick one.

Great interview. Very telling that he said that if he had a chance to do it all again, despite everything he had been through, he definitely would. Without hesitation.

Sean loved the character and the movies. Its a real loss that he never took part in the movie commentaries because I would have loved to hear his insights. He seems to have the best understanding of the character and the world with which he inhibits, better than all the other 5 actors combined.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    That Scottish accent is so awesome and he's so reserved during this interview. :-)

Question: how's Hitchcock's Marnie? :-?
    Obanno wrote: »
    Just a quick one.

Great interview. Very telling that he said that if he had a chance to do it all again, despite everything he had been through, he definitely would. Without hesitation.

Sean loved the character and the movies. Its a real loss that he never took part in the movie commentaries because I would have loved to hear his insights. He seems to have the best understanding of the character and the world with which he inhibits, better than all the other 5 actors combined.

Yes, they should've paid him to do commentaries. Get an interviewer in there who would know how to engage Connery and think about his time as Bond and what he brought to whatever situation.

There's that perception that he was always cranky and hated it, but I've seen countless photos of him smiling and goofing off with cast and crew, several during filming of YOLT. Or maybe the differences with Broccoli and Saltzman overshadowed the positives.

It's also a missed opportunity that nobody could get him together with Moore. I'm sure their differences in approach could make for a stimulating discussion between two old friends who weren't competitors.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Obanno wrote: »
    Just a quick one.

Clearly super intelligent guy and really invested in those early films. Yes it would have been great to have had more of his insights. He may not have been a producer like Craig but you totally get the sense he was playing a big creative role behind as well as in front of the camera.

I remember when this aired. Great Connery interview!
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 11,425
    I know I'm going to be accused of Brosnan bashing but Connery just comes across as so much more thoughtful and insightful about the character. I've always said that I never really heard Pierce express who his Bond was, which always comes across on screen IMO. I think all the most successful Bonds had some idea who the character was. As many have said before on here, if in doubt, go back to the Fleming.

Interesting that Sean only read 2 of the books. Although I suspect that's still 2 more than Brozza.