What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    With Eilish performing it, I was almost 100% certain it would be a ballad.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    From her performance of Yesterday at the Oscars, I think Billie Eilish has shown that she could pull the title song off.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Certainly. "Skyfall" was the biggest Bond title song to top the charts since Duran Duran's in 1985, whereas both the rock tunes "Another Day to Die" and even the beloved "You Know My Name" didn't really shake the world.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Oscars:

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Exactly. This is why I was let down by her inclusion (among other things). I was hoping for a high-energy song à la YKMN.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    When the last two songs were Ballads and won Oscars....even if Eilish wanted to do a Rock theme...Eon might have told her, they want a Ballad.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    When the last two songs were Ballads and won Oscars....even if Eilish wanted to do a Rock theme...Eon might have told her, they want a Ballad.

Correct. And rock, at least the kind that Chris Cornell and Jack White did back in the day is no longer that popular. Top acts these days are known for doing "pop rock" such as Panic! at the Disco, Imagine Dragons, and Maroon 5.
    Her singing at the Oscars reminds me a lot of Scott Walker´s unused song ´Only myself to blame´ from TWINE.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247

Correct. And rock, at least the kind that Chris Cornell and Jack White did back in the day is no longer that popular. Top acts these days are known for doing "pop rock" such as Panic! at the Disco, Imagine Dragons, and Maroon 5.

Yeah, true....Almost every Rock Band now have joined the 'Pop-Rock' realm, although I like Imagine Dragons...they do have catchy tunes....But Chris Cornell & David Arnold's YKMN was so good that I wanted it to become the 3rd alternative Bond theme....following the 007 theme.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Billie Eilish's hair was the highlight of the Oscars.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    That was absolutely beautiful. Restrained, respectful and completely perfect :)

It´s not as if rock was more popular at the time of YKMN.

One thing am hoping for, is the song to be a titular track.....i just feel the film's title is a great opportunity for it to be sung as it's title.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Contraband wrote: »
    Oscars:

Terrific performance. I have no doubt that the title song is in good hands.
    boldfinger wrote: »

You’re right, that highlights just how less popular rock became over the past 30 years. Maybe the last time rock music was truly popular and groundbreaking was when Cornell was among the Seattle movement in the 90s with grunge. A truly explosive time for rock. I remember thinking in 2006 that Cornell being selected was an odd choice mainly because he was well past the height of his career in terms of popularity, much like Madonna being picked in 2002 as opposed to her height in the late 80s/early 90s. Cornell would have been a much bigger get for EON in say 1995.
    boldfinger wrote: »

You’re right, that highlights just how less popular rock became over the past 30 years. Maybe the last time rock music was truly popular and groundbreaking was when Cornell was among the Seattle movement in the 90s with grunge. A truly explosive time for rock. I remember thinking in 2006 that Cornell being selected was an odd choice mainly because he was well past the height of his career in terms of popularity, much like Madonna being picked in 2002 as opposed to her height in the late 80s/early 90s. Cornell would have been a much bigger get for EON in say 1995.
    Even at the time when Cornell and/or Soundgarden were most popular, they were not exactly mainstream. They were big in the rock sector, but pop acts were always the biggest sellers. Which makes sense, because it is not in the nature of rock music to cater to the general audience, whereas pop music per defitionem goes more in that direction.
    I dunno, I think getting Cornell would have been a bigger deal than Tina Turner, at least for that specific time.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    I dunno, I think getting Cornell would have been a bigger deal than Tina Turner, at least for that specific time.
    I for sure would have loved it. Not just because I´m more of a rock guy, but because I also remember thinking at the time that it felt like they´re trying to outdo Gladys Knight or something like that. In the end however the song and performance seems to have fared pretty well with the public.
    It was also the time U2´s members were dabbling with film music, and Bono and The Edge were still a lot bigger than Chris Cornell at that time. I guess they had their foot in a number of doors at the time.

U2 is exceptional, of course.
    I wonder if it's too late....considering that Eon now go for the hottest artists of the time....I would very much like Goldfrapp to do a Bond theme in future....but with Eon's insatiable taste for Oscars at the moment, I can't see that happening.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    One thing that I feel reassuring is that from Director to Composer, on this production EON has shown that they will not hesitate to make a change if they aren’t satisfied with a given element. I think had they been presented with a song that they were not happy with then it would have been rejected.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Found this today. This is from way back. Who'd have she'd end up doing a Bond theme? Can't wait :D

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited February 2020 Posts: 98
    L-) My favorite B.E. song. Precisely this one I've found the music has something Bondian (guitar after the chorus, classy)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,949
    Climate change is a part of Lucifer s plan, and I hope the theme song endorses it.

Hell is here.

Frankly, I love the reverb (or whatever it's called) of her voice. It reminds me of Carly Simon...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If Man of War had not been an existing but unreleased song it would have been the SPECTRE theme, Mendes already convinced BB & MGW to hire Radiohead, it wasn't the quality or the unsuitability of the song it was the fact it would ineligible for a Oscar.

I'm no BE fan and don't really know her stuff apart from what I found on YouTube recently, although I'm willing to see where she goes with it.

Last time round the love story element was so weak and unconvincing that the title song didn't really suit the film.

Though that element seems to be more of a drive of the story and will become entwined in the plot. So if Billie and Finneas deliver a ballad it might be more appropriate to the film, whereas as last time around Radiohead's both approaches seemed more in keeping with its proceedings.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,164
    delete
    talos7 wrote: »
    One thing that I feel reassuring is that from Director to Composer, on this production EON has shown that they will not hesitate to make a change if they aren’t satisfied with a given element. I think had they been presented with a song that they were not happy with then it would have been rejected.
    Out of experience I don´t think music is the foremost example of this habit, in terms of being reassuring ;-).

If this is a teaser for Bond's theme...sounds cool tbh
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185
    3:04

I'd be very surprised if a title song will utilize sampling. Wouldn't that disqualify it from being submitted for an Academy award nomination?
This discussion has been closed.