What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The Oscars is very very unlikely to be for Bond.

Firstly, the Oscars don't promote films to come during the ceremony. They are not a marketing entity for new releases. Secondly, if this was for the bond song reveal they would advertise it as such as more people would tune in for an 'exclusive.'

This is either for the In Meroium segment or part of some showpiece - either to celebrate some anniversary for a past Oscar winner or to look back at 2019.

The good news here is that the Academy love Billie and even if her song is lacklustre they'll find a way to honour her in 2021.

If this is for NTTD, expect an announcement soon.............but don't hold your breath.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Risico007 wrote: »
    That one does sound not that bad.

If it’s oceans you like this is far better in my opinion

After all

"We've done four already but now we're steady
    And then they went: One, two, three, four"
    Heaven. Shame I have no clue about video editing, otherwise I would immediately put that over a title sequence.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Firstly, the Oscars don't promote films to come during the ceremony. They are not a marketing entity for new releases. Secondly, if this was for the bond song reveal they would advertise it as such as more people would tune in for an 'exclusive.'

This is either for the In Meroium segment or part of some showpiece - either to celebrate some anniversary for a past Oscar winner or to look back at 2019.

The good news here is that the Academy love Billie and even if her song is lacklustre they'll find a way to honour her in 2021.

If this is for NTTD, expect an announcement soon.............but don't hold your breath.

Hedged your bets with that comment P2D :))
    If the announcement comes - 'I told you so', and if it doesn't
    - 'I told you not to hold your breath ;)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    NicNac wrote: »

Hedged your bets with that comment P2D :))
    If the announcement comes - 'I told you so', and if it doesn't
    - 'I told you not to hold your breath ;)

I said the same thing few weeks ago :D

You are absolutely right. The Bond song will be released under the strict control of Eon and Universal and not just dropped into the Oscars - that would be a risk if everyone immediately disliked the song, which is potential a possibility. Mind u, I have faith in Billie and Hans Zimmer etc. And so I predict a cracking song and a powerful score, which cleverly incorporates the song's theme.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Exactly. Never thought for a second she would perform the Bond song.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    edited January 2020 Posts: 108

I tend to disagree to a certain degree here. It's true, that the Oscars usually don't promote recent movies, although their Bond anniversary bit came hot on the heels of SkyFall. Otherwise the Oscars suffered a major ratings drop and are trying to adjust recently. And the telecast is on ABC where Eon ran other Bond exclusives in the past. I would still expect a tease via an official Eon channel before the ceremony, but a "like" by the director seems like a first step to me.

What DOES make me curious is the timing. All the recent Bond songs were announced as some kind of event and subsequently released about a month before the movie premiere. BE's announcement seemed extremely early to me and only makes sense when they have a plan at hand to maximize publicity that exceeds the momentum of the impending premiere. From the beginning I found it highly suspicious that this premature announcement came directly before the awards season where BE is expected to be performing as well as being awarded. It could have happened at the Grammys but I think the Oscars trigger even more publicity.

And I wouldn't call a live TV premiere that risky – she has quite some routine now and is surrounded by the best broadcast pros on the planet. Also one would expect an instant video premiere at the same time via YouTube.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Yeah the oscars are desperate for ratings and appealing to a younger audience. What else would Eilish perform, does she have another movie song?

That said, it’s still no incentive to me to watch the oscars (could Gervais please host, cuz then I’d at least watch the monologue).

I’d rather hear the song online or just wait for the movie itself which I’m leaning towards.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have this thing where I listen to the theme song as soon as it's out there, at least ten times. Then, I make up my mind. I was happy with YKMN, displeased with AWTD, very pleased with SF and modestly enthusiastic about TWOTW. I give each new song a fair chance. I will Billie's too.
    Eiragorn wrote: »

I tend to disagree to a certain degree here. It's true, that the Oscars usually don't promote recent movies, although their Bond anniversary bit came hot on the heels of SkyFall. Otherwise the Oscars suffered a major ratings drop and are trying to adjust recently. And the telecast is on ABC where Eon ran other Bond exclusives in the past. I would still expect a tease via an official Eon channel before the ceremony, but a "like" by the director seems like a first step to me.

What DOES make me curious is the timing. All the recent Bond songs were announced as some kind of event and subsequently released about a month before the movie premiere. BE's announcement seemed extremely early to me and only makes sense when they have a plan at hand to maximize publicity that exceeds the momentum of the impending premiere. From the beginning I found it highly suspicious that this premature announcement came directly before the awards season where BE is expected to be performing as well as being awarded. It could have happened at the Grammys but I think the Oscars trigger even more publicity.

And I wouldn't call a live TV premiere that risky – she has quite some routine now and is surrounded by the best broadcast pros on the planet. Also one would expect an instant video premiere at the same time via YouTube.

The problem with your argument is that Eon has had no control over the timing, or Billie's Grammy success, or that the Oscars would ask her to perform live. All of this has come from Billie's own work, not from her work on Bond. But Eon have lucked out with all of Billie's success, which means, when they officially release her NTTD theme song, they know they will get a huge amount of coverage.

We can't be sure if it was AMPAS approaching her though...if she's doing NTTD of course, then it would have more likely been EON/MGM approaching ABC with this.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    What other song did she do a film theme for? It's got to be Bond.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    007Blofeld wrote: »

None I suppose. But why she must perform a song featured in a film? I'm not a big Oscar fan, I'm asking if someone ever performed non-films songs before.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    matt_u wrote: »

None I suppose. But why she must perform a song featured in a film? I'm not a big Oscar fan, I'm asking if someone ever performed non-films songs before.

Me either but it seems strange why she would just randomly perform one of her songs at the Oscars it seems set up. ABC and the Oscars have always seemed set up like there are definitely strings being pulled off stage.
    She might do a cover of a famous song
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I wouldn't have been surprised if she did a performance last year because of the song she did for Roma, but I can't think what she would perform if not the title song. Even if she did a cover, how would it fit with the Oscars?

Here's the song she did for Roma by the way...

• I want her to be original and not a copy of GF title song. SF was an obvious attempt at that and it felt like it was under lyriced.

Also, don't worry if the title of the movie is not the same as the song.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I have no idea what to expect?!!!

Nope. Which is why I'll be listening to it with an open mind.

It cannot be worse than Sam Smith's song? right?

:-?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Getafix wrote: »
    She might do a cover of a famous song

I was thinking she may cover an old Bond Theme just to tie in her involvement and honouring those who have died
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I could imagine her sing 'When The Party's Over' during the memorium, but would you really want such a huge star to overshadow the people you're trying to honour? And if she is, announcing it as a performance could seem a bit disrespectful.

Now that's not to say she won't maybe sing during a montage of the year's films or just a normal performance of one of her songs, but there's still a chance it could be the James Bond song. Nothing about this production has really been expected or particuarly traditional, so why couldn't they find a new way to reveal the song? It would certainly get people's attention.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    edited January 2020 Posts: 108
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Eiragorn wrote: »

The problem with your argument is that Eon has had no control over the timing, or Billie's Grammy success, or that the Oscars would ask her to perform live. All of this has come from Billie's own work, not from her work on Bond. But Eon have lucked out with all of Billie's success, which means, when they officially release her NTTD theme song, they know they will get a huge amount of coverage.

Eon had full control when to announce the theme song artist and they chose to do it very early. And they did it at a time when they knew she will be at the Grammys. And – as I said – Eon has teamed up with ABC before for their Bond exclusives so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume they worked it out this way for NTTD.
    matt_u wrote: »

Me either but it seems strange why she would just randomly perform one of her songs at the Oscars it seems set up. ABC and the Oscars have always seemed set up like there are definitely strings being pulled off stage.

She WILL NOT perform any of her original songs otherwise – if it's not Bond she will do a cover for 'In Memoriam' as have done Pink, GaGa or Eddie Vedder. The Oscars are always accused of being overly bloated so they will not introduce any new and/or non-movie segments.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Nobody Does It Better for the In Memoriam? ;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Live and let die.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Nobody Does It Better for the In Memoriam? ;)

This was my thought too.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    She's going to sing Anthony Newley's arrangement of Goldfinger.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    She better sing Monty Norman's Bad Sign, Good Sign since that's where it began.
    I wonder if she will include references to climate Justice and Palestine in her song. I sure hope so.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    If the song is the Bond song, it cannot be near the In Memoriam part.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    What are the chances of her debuting the track on Sunday at the BAFTAs, 2 February 2020, at Royal Albert Hall? Proper english connection if anything else.

Bet Daniel and Rachel will be there since Knives Out is nominated. (And Sam Mendes' 1917 is nominated plus Roger Deakins for filming 1917)
    As I mentioned in the other thread, extremely low. The ceremony isn't even aired live...
This discussion has been closed.