No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I tend to think MGM and Universal may take exception to Bond never being 007 in the picture, they put a lot of money into owning, at least temporarily, a piece of that brand. It’s expected. Either he gets it back at the end, or he cedes it at the end, or he’s the only 007 in the film. There’s no way I see the big money accepting a film where James Bond is never 007. Of course I could be wrong, but I don’t see them taking that big a risk.

If 007 doesn't mean anything why is it on the screen I always say.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    I guess James Bond not being "officially" 007 doesn't make James Bond less James Bond to the average viewer. I believe most of the people just want to see a cool character like James doing his stuff and that's it. Perhaps they will welcome this idea as something "bold" and unexpected in a fresh way for an almost 60 years old franchise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @007Blofeld I think we just trust EON and our instincts instead of over-the-top journalists who will spin an end of the world style piece about someone who has been cast as a new character to hopefully shake up the franchise a bit because trying something new can actually be quite exciting if you give it a chance. If we didn't do that, we probably wouldn't have this franchise in the first place.

@Denbigh its hard when the journalists have been right so far. They got the plot right and now they gave away the first act.
    But nothing about that plot actually concretely says "Nomi will take over as next 007 and be the protagonist of the next era", that's what they've interpreted based on what they know about the plot and what they've used to sell the article in the first place. The rest was easy because it was basically all handed to them at the set visit, and even when people are told by the very producer that people have hovering over a hollowed out volcano that James Bond will not be a woman, it's still not enough.

Either way, this whole Nomi/007 thing is not a concrete thing. At this point literally anything could happen, she could turn into a hawk and fly away for all we know, and I'm not trying to change anyones opinion, but I can't help but feel that people are gonna taint their own experience before they've walked into the cinema. I'm not trying to antagonise anyone. I just want people to enjoy what we're all here to enjoy.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m not talking viewers (though I believe the large majority want Bond to be 007; my last girlfriend, from the moment I met her, and she was a very casual fan, referred to him as 007, never James Bond), I’m talking studio execs. James Bond, 007 is a huge brand. I don’t see them too comfortable not having that in the film.

Yeah I can see. Perhaps they know what they're doing.
    @007Blofeld I think we just trust EON and our instincts instead of over-the-top journalists who will spin an end of the world style piece about someone who has been cast as a new character to hopefully shake up the franchise a bit because trying something new can actually be quite exciting if you give it a chance. If we didn't do that, we probably wouldn't have this franchise in the first place.

@Denbigh its hard when the journalists have been right so far. They got the plot right and now they gave away the first act.
    But nothing about that plot actually concretely says "Nomi will take over as next 007 and be the protagonist of the next era", that's what they've interpreted based on what they know about the plot and what they've used to sell the article in the first place. The rest was easy because it was basically all handed to them at the set visit, and even when people are told by the very producer that people have hovering over a hollowed out volcano that James Bond will not be a woman, it's still not enough.

This whole Nomi/007 thing is not a concrete thing. At this point literally anything could happen, she could turn into a hawk and fly away for all we know, and I'm not trying to change anyones opinion, but I can't help but feel that people are gonna taint their own experience before they've walked into the cinema. I'm not trying to antagonise anyone. I just want people to enjoy what we're all here to enjoy.

Thats why I don't get why everyone is like this the plot deal with it. Journalists were write about PBW and the 007 thing they are coy about. The marketing says this will change everything and Barbara says the ending will be emotional so Bond will die. I don't know it's all making my head hurt to be honest. What set visit I'm curious?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I will eat the best edibles in @Birdleson's stash if James Bond is 007 in this film.
    I’m not talking viewers (though I believe the large majority want Bond to be 007; my last girlfriend, from the moment I met her, and she was a very casual fan, referred to him as 007, never James Bond), I’m talking studio execs. James Bond, 007 is a huge brand. I don’t see them too comfortable not having that in the film.

Exactly same with my dad.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

This whole Nomi/007 thing is not a concrete thing. At this point literally anything could happen, she could turn into a hawk and fly away for all we know, and I'm not trying to change anyones opinion, but I can't help but feel that people are gonna taint their own experience before they've walked into the cinema. I'm not trying to antagonise anyone. I just want people to enjoy what we're all here to enjoy.

Thats why I don't get why everyone is like this the plot deal with it. Journalists were write about PBW and the 007 thing they are coy about. The marketing says this will change everything and Barbara says the ending will be emotional so Bond will die. I don't know it's all making my head hurt to be honest. What set visit I'm curious?
    We'll have to see I guess @007Blofeld, but there's many ways this could end emotionally without Bond dying. So we'll see. As for the set visit, what was posted earlier that kind of summed up the first act a bit was what the writers of the article had learnt from a set visit, and an interview with Barbara and Michael. I can't remember if they spoke to the cast as well.

We'll have to see I guess @007Blofeld, but there's many ways this could end emotionally without Bond dying. So we'll see. As for the set visit, what was posted earlier that kind of summed up the first act a bit was what the writers of the article had learnt from a set visit, and an interview with Barbara and Michael. I can't remember if they spoke to the cast as well.

@Denbigh it say anything about nomi?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    As mentioned before, there are ways to treat Bond as 007 without making it official. e.g. he might always be 007 in the eyes of Q, Moneypenny or other MI6 staff who look up to him.

The villains are often aware of this British spy, 'James Bond, 007' before they meet him, so perhaps Bond has to unofficially go under the moniker of 007 as a means to get closer to the enemy - and it works, because the villain is always intrigued to meet this man who caused a lot of grief for his organization (just as Dr. No was intrigued).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

@007Blofeld Here's the article:

https://mashable.com/article/james-bond-no-time-to-die-set-visit/?europe=true
  • peterpeter Toronto

This is just me toying with the idea that James Bond is NOT Agent 007 in NTTD, but he is, instead, ex-agent 007 of Mi6;

Think about it for a sec: 007 is now a staple of pop culture. 007. Martini. Girls. Villains with strange deformities. Tuxedoes and gadgets.

This era, more than the others, like to dispel of the tropes sometimes (no Q, MP in the first two films); Fukunga says CR is his favourite Bond film (AVTAK was his first film, not his favourite). Combine this idea that tropes have been disregarded in this era and add that film producers and distributors LOVE taking what's expected and breathing new life into it.

My feeling is Universal would champion that Bond is no longer 007 in the literal sense.

Once the film is released, the general audience will assume James Bond is 007, and there will be gasps and chuckles aplenty when that trope is re-configured and a woman has now been assigned Bond's old number. And he will hafta deal with it.

There's an adage in the film industry: make it familiar, but different.

By taking away Bond's Licence to Kill and giving it to someone else does this in spades.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    I will eat the best edibles in @Birdleson's stash if James Bond is 007 in this film.

Can’t handle the edibles. It’s all green.

I love greens. Part of a perfect diet. Slow digesting.
    I had a bit of green last night. In the eva-ning.

Can’t handle the edibles. It’s all green.

I love greens. Part of a perfect diet. Slow digesting.

Is that dog food I looked it up?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Well, @007Blofeld , I have been known to be a dawg. So yes.

Wow this film seems more pointless the more I read unfortunately maybe I will be wrong though.
    Moving on... The shipping container scene - I heard so little about it, that it seems like a rumour. Did we have a location fix for that? Was it Cuba? Either way, a shipping yard is a great, and almost ominous place for Bond to be snooping around because of the size of everything. It could be like a maze for Bond, with heavy forks moving containers around on him. I expect the containers to have fictional company logos on the side. Would be cool and fitting to see a Univex container amongst them.

Wow this film seems more pointless the more I read unfortunately maybe I will be wrong though.

If you don’t mind me asking, what about the few plot points in this article indicates to you that this film is more pointless than any other Bond film?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    FoxRox wrote: »

If you don’t mind me asking, what about the few plot points in this article indicates to you that this film is more pointless than any other Bond film?

Why? Why engage with this?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    QBranch wrote: »
    Moving on... The shipping container scene - I heard so little about it, that it seems like a rumour. Did we have a location fix for that? Was it Cuba? Either way, a shipping yard is a great, and almost ominous place for Bond to be snooping around because of the size of everything. It could be like a maze for Bond, with heavy forks moving containers around on him. I expect the containers to have fictional company logos on the side. Would be cool and fitting to see a Univex container amongst them.

Maybe not as symbolic but could evoke the Statue Park feeling from Goldeneye, disorienting and foreboding
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126

Well Bond just milling around bored just basically that. I'm not thrilled by nomi dressing up like Bond that will be weird I'm not going to lie and I'm sure what the audience reactions will be to that or the response I hope they know what they are doing.

This non sequitur seems a little a “try hard.” The obtuse pessimism wears thin.

Well Bond just milling around bored

And how did you draw that conclusion?
    He learns SPECTRE, the franchises’s most prominent evil organization, is involved. If Bond is bored at any point it’s from not being on duty while in Jamaica, which obviously is part of the point and won’t be long in the film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Well Bond just milling around bored just basically that. I'm not thrilled by nomi dressing up like Bond that will be weird I'm not going to lie and I'm sure what the audience reactions will be to that or the response I hope they know what they are doing.

Having not seen the film in its entirety, I fail to see how anyone can comment on such things.

Burgess wrote: »

This non sequitur seems a little a “try hard.” The obtuse pessimism wears thin.

Look I don't really care for Bond milling around bored you got issues with that. Maybe things pick up quickly but it sounds like more Skyfall-y stuff.

Why? Why engage with this?

You think I'm some troll?
    Benny wrote: »

Having not seen the film in its entirety, I fail to see how anyone can comment on such things.

Maybe things will be different but I'm not impressed yet. Hopefully things pick up in the third act.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @007Blofeld this is your last chance to stop multi posting.
    We have an edit function for a reason. If you choose to ignore these requests again, then further action will be taken.
    Benny wrote: »
    @007Blofeld this is your last chance to stop multi posting.
    We have an edit function for a reason. If you choose to ignore these requests again, then further action will be taken.

@Benny ok can you make the function easier. It's hard when people are tagging me all at once in real time when it's like 5 people and I'm trying to respond and I wish there is a better picture function too.