The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Daniel Craig is hosting SNL again on March 7, with The Weeknd being the musical guest.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Daniel Craig is hosting SNL again on March 7, with The Weeknd being the musical guest.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A sequel for Knives Out has officially been green lighted.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    matt_u wrote: »
    A sequel for Knives Out has officially been green lighted.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/knives-out-sequel-official-rian-johnson-1202853566/
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Has there been another Bond actor who got a second franchise on his own?
    Dalton joined the Toy Story series with the third episode, but he is more of a supporting character in it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Dalton joined the Toy Story series with the third episode, but he is more of a supporting character in it.

I am very sad that Knives Out would become Craig's first non-Bond franchise. Not because I dislike the film (I greatly enjoyed it both times I saw it), but I am still angry at how Sony handled David Fincher's The Girl With Dragon Tattoo. They robbed us of 2 more films with Craig as Mikael Blomkvist.

I am very sad that Knives Out would become Craig's first non-Bond franchise. Not because I dislike the film (I greatly enjoyed it both times I saw it), but I am still angry at how Sony handled David Fincher's The Girl With Dragon Tattoo. They robbed us of 2 more films with Craig as Mikael Blomkvist.

That's true. He could have had two franchises going on besides Bond. Even the His dark Materials - The Golden Compass film was so bad they had to remake it for TV. Hell, Craig could have had three more franchises besides Bond.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Good question.
    Of the top of my mind, i can only think of Brosnan who tried 2 times to start a franchise with Thomas Crown and November Man, but it never materialized.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Really looking forward to Daniel on SNL, especially now we in the UK can watch it on Sky comedy.
    It's great news about Knives Out 2 as well, I'm really happy for Daniel, he's a great actor and a great fella who deserves tons of success after Bond. Hopefully Knives Out 2 can be that for him
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

I'll never get over them not finishing the trilogy!

TGWTDT is one of my favourite films, and I do not generally like US remakes of European films, but I much prefer this over the original films.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

His bits were cute in TOY STORY 3, but he's pretty much non-existent in TOY STORY 4 as the result of even more characters added. He's still credited for the latter film, but I suspect most of his work was left in deleted scenes. The only line I got out of 4 from him was a basic reaction to news like "ooooohhh nooooooo" along with other characters reacting.

As for other actors in franchises, there's Sean Connery in the first two HIGHLANDER films. Brosnan in the two MAMA MIA films. Not a whole lot.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Outrageous. Dalton pretty much carries those movies.

Pierce did two Mama Mias.

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Pierce did two Mama Mias.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If Benoit Blanc continues like Craig and Johnson seemed to infer then there won't be a comparison, DC will be the first, Dalton in the Toy Story films, is this a joke? its not even same ball park.

Connery would be the closest in Crusade and that was a one off even though his character is referenced in Crystal Skull.

If DC makes this a success and it endures, it will be a first for any actor in the role.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Sean Connery: first two films in the Highlnder franchise, in a supporting role.
  • Brilliant news! Hopefully there will be movement on Purity as well. I'd also love to see Craig play an unhinged baddie.
    I was definitely tongue in cheek when I mentioned Dalton and Toy Story (he also did voice work for a few shorts and TV specials), but he was technically part of a (huge) franchise. There's indeed a major difference between being part of a franchise (where Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Desmond Llewelyn or even Victor Tourjansky would qualify) and having a franchise, being attached as the lead, the face on the poster.

Connery was approached to return for The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I originally assumed that John Hurt's part was originally written with Sean Connery as Henry Jones Sr in mind, because it was very much similar to The Last Crusade, but it may have been too similar to have once again the father as the guy to rescue, and Henry Jones had probably become the Dean at the University (a part ultimately played by Jim Broadbent), for a couple of pedestrian scenes at most.
    And, as for Highlander (where his character was brought back for some contrived reason in a sequel many prefer to forget), Connery was part of a franchise, he didn't "have" that franchise.

Of course, it's not that obvious with Knives Out, as it's also an ensemble piece. But Craig and his Benoit Blanc would definitely be a major reason for people to watch the sequel, even if none of the other characters return. That's a huge security for any actor, to be able to rely on a new entry of a franchise (especially when it's not as physically taxing as Bond...), and also a big hint that Craig won't be remembered mostly for reviving the Bond franchise, but that his other work, including his films as Benoit Blanc, also made an impact, on its own.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Benoit Blanc is the anchor to the ensemble in KO, and Ana-- as has been said, and I agree-- was the heart.

I'm assuming that the next film will be an entirely new mystery, with a new ensemble-- where Blanc will be the anchor again.

You need a calm yet dynamic presence to play this role. I enjoyed everything Craig did as a character, but especially in the quieter moments (like picking up the baseball, smoking his cigar, sitting with Great-Nana).

He really is a great actor; magnetic.

To see him drawl and move about as Blanc, and then to watch the NTTD trailer, I smile and am happy to see how different the two characters are, and how he approaches them each in quite a unique manner.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,043
    peter wrote: »
    Benoit Blanc is the anchor to the ensemble in KO, and Ana-- as has been said, and I agree-- was the heart.

I'm assuming that the next film will be an entirely new mystery, with a new ensemble-- where Blanc will be the anchor again.

You need a calm yet dynamic presence to play this role. I enjoyed everything Craig did as a character, but especially in the quieter moments (like picking up the baseball, smoking his cigar, sitting with Great-Nana).

He really is a great actor; magnetic.

To see him drawl and move about as Blanc, and then to watch the NTTD trailer, I smile and am happy to see how different the two characters are, and how he approaches them each in quite a unique manner.

Spot on my friend, we've spoken about this at length and mutually loved Knives Out, can't wait to see it again at Easter when it comes out over here, definitely will be buying this to own physically.

Looking forward to noticing those elements not caught before on a second viewing, this is going to one of those films that we'll just keep coming back to over and over again.

I also think that Johnson won't start shooting till he has got it down pat and it is going to be something quite different to KO.

Kind of validates us that said that Craig has a great deal of variety as an actor and certainly isn't one note.
    Knives Out has now crossed the $300 million world-wide milestone at the box office.
    Pretty much close to Lionsgate’s other big hit of 2019 John Wick 3.
    Knives Out has now crossed the $300 million world-wide milestone at the box office.

Need to get round to seeing this movie.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Need to get round to seeing this movie.

It is a movie you can easily watch on DVD/Bluray it is not better in cinema.
    I'm sure it will be enjoyed on the small screen I look forward to seeing it again very much.

Although it had a great atmosphere on the big screen and I'll be in the queue for the next Benoit Blanc mystery, then again I really like Craig unlike some.

So I'd make your own mind up rather than being swayed by those who clearly don't.
    I wonder if Craig told Barbara he’d like to do a 6th If they would move forward.
    Even if both wanted to there would have to be more studio negotiating. MGM isn’t exactly in good shape.