The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In his making of featurette, Cary makes it pretty clear that this is Daniels last. Could they back peddle? Sure anything is possible, but the chances are slim to none.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If it’s as good as they believe it’s turning out, then I see no reason for Craig to come back. He’s said from the beginning that he wants to go off on a high note.
    If it’s as good as they believe it’s turning out, then I see no reason for Craig to come back. He’s said from the beginning that he wants to go off on a high note.

+1

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    talos7 wrote: »
    In his making of featurette, Cary makes it pretty clear that this is Daniels last. Could they back peddle?
    Heck yeah!
    If there’s something genuinely great that warrants Craig’s enthusiasm to come back for another, that’s fine, but I rather they not take that risk especially if NTTD is great. Last Bond installments have not had a good tracking record for actors. If it’s as good as CR, then Craig had done something none of his predecessors were able to do: End on a high note. I don’t want that to be ruined. At least with a new actor for Bond 26 they’ll kind of have nothing to lose.
    In his making of featurette, Cary makes it pretty clear that this is Daniels last. Could they back peddle?
    Heck yeah!

I see what you did there. :)

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,376

DC on SNL next Saturday
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Heck yeah!

I think it would be amusing if he came back and did one last stand alone movie along the lines of AVTAK. Where he is clearly over the hill and past it. Maybe make a quiche while he's about it.
    I know I wish Moore had retired after OP, I don’t want to have that experience with Craig. Just cash in your chips Danny.
  • It's definitely starting to hit me that Dan's tenure as Bond is coming to an end. It's really the only time in my life that a current Bond actor has quit the role on his own terms, with a sense of finality to his story. It's going to be bittersweet watching No Time To Die in a few short weeks.
    Imagine how Babs feels. Craig was really "her" Bond. It certainly paid off. But it must be a huge deal for her. MGW as well. I remember him saying they wanted Craig to do 7. They could have as well in the time he's been in the role. Although I think he'd have left earlier if the films had been more regular.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025
    If there weren’t the setback with MGM he may have done six films but who knows.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It is possible that DC will continue in a producer's capacity. I am not predicting that that will happen; but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,043
    I'd rather see DC speak from the gut than come across all cool and rehearsed.

Connery and Moore might well be the most beloved but no actor has given themselves to the role and committed as much as Daniel Craig has.

I really do find it strange when some say he doesn't have respect for the role or enjoy playing the part, what utter bollocks.

The man lives the role when he shows up to work.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I really do find it strange when some say he doesn't have respect for the role or enjoy playing the part, what utter bollocks.

Some people can’t simply dislike an actor’s participation in the role, they have to have a reason outside of their opinion to dislike them as well as if to make their dislike seem justified in their minds. Make it more objective rather than subjective. Like when Craig makes a crass joke “I rather slit my wrists”, those not fans of his then ignore the context of that, and point it out as proof that Craig hates playing Bond and therefore it makes them feel justified in disliking him and his interpretation of the role.

There’s no solid proof that Newman dislikes scoring James Bond, but that doesn’t stop certain critics of his from looking for more reasons to not like his scores.

Connery and Moore might well be the most beloved but no actor has given themselves to the role and committed as much as Daniel Craig has.

It's not a critique of his acting. I don't really care whether he's good with the publicity or not.

I don't get the sense he's speaking from the gut though. I guess that's what I'm commenting on. He doesn't really seem to have much to say at all. Whether it's from the head or the gut. His contribution to the interview is pretty bland/uninteresting.

I guess he's still smarting from the "slash my wrists" comments after SP.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Getafix wrote: »

It's not a critique of his acting. I don't really care whether he's good with the publicity or not.

I don't get the sense he's speaking from the gut though. I guess that's what I'm commenting on. He doesn't really seem to have much to say at all. Whether it's from the head or the gut. His contribution to the interview is pretty bland/uninteresting.

I guess he's still smarting from the "slash my wrists" comments after SP.

All of them are being vague and speaking in circles, because they don't want to to leak anything. How are they supposed to answer questions about their roles in a movie about which they can't speak?

These press junkets can be pretty horrible. Most actors abhor them because they can get asked some pretty awful questions. For TGWTDT, DC was once asked if he liked having a sex scene with Rooney Mara. It was thoroughly uncomfortable to see.
    Remi seems good at it. As does Wright. Americans are often just better at communicating.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    I think i would blame the host, he should have done some research, look at Graham Norton, he makes people comfortable in his show, play games with them.

As a host one needs to get the guest to talk, encourage them to open up and have fun while doing so. This interview was really awkward just like Jamaica meet.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    I think i would blame the host, he should have done some research, look at Graham Norton, he makes people comfortable in his show, play games with them.

And yet, I still feel like Christoph Waltz really doesn't want to be there. It's not that Norton doesn't try, but Waltz is not easily moved by weird games.

As for Craig, I think he really gave it his all during the press bits for this film we've seen so far. He tries to have fun, he cracks jokes, he plays off his other cast members...
    The setting of having them all there works for him, rather than a one-on-one juncket with just the interviewer.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541

And yet, I still feel like Christoph Waltz really doesn't want to be there. It's not that Norton doesn't try, but Waltz is not easily moved by weird games.

As for Craig, I think he really gave it his all during the press bits for this film we've seen so far. He tries to have fun, he cracks jokes, he plays off his other cast members...
    The setting of having them all there works for him, rather than a one-on-one juncket with just the interviewer.

Norton does try that's what I have been saying, I was talking about the latest one for NTTD host not making an effort. Disagree about waltz not wanting to be on the show. The moment he said- " I am more naturally a horse than a horseman". There were a lot of moments like that in that Episode. Jaimaica press meet might be the most awkward one i have seen to be honest. Didn't saw any jokes there. Craig usually ain't that great with interviews although i don't blame him for that.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    @Getafix I think we would all have more respect for you if you just came out right and said you didn't like Daniel Craig.

It would be much more straight forward than all your snide comments about the man.
    Can't wait, thanks @marketto007
  • peterpeter Toronto
    WOW! His audition!! @Shardlake and I were chatting the other day saying we'd love to see his audition tape and the FRWL scene in particular. Thanks for that info!!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Thanks @marketto007 that sounds amazing, I've always wanted a proper documentary about Daniel being Bond and to see his audition for the part would be brilliant
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I've just seen the pics of him in Australian GQ that are floating about. Good Lord! I wish he did posing stuff more often (Not that you fellas care :P ).

He looks as if he could go for another certainly but definitely won't be. It all just kinda feels right to me now. Like it's fitting into place. The thought of it never sat easy with me after Spectre. Of course that leaves the question of 'who next?' but in Babs I do have faith.

By the by, awesome news about the documentary. Can't wait to see that!
    Women today be like:

tenor.gif?itemid=4925426
    peter wrote: »
    WOW! His audition!! @Shardlake and I were chatting the other day saying we'd love to see his audition tape and the FRWL scene in particular. Thanks for that info!!

My "Holy Grail" of Bond rarities is all of the screentest ever done for the role by any actor.
    I really look forward to Craig's