What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,185

Lol looks like the Oscars are jumping on the bandwagon.

She might as well debut her Bond Song here as shes almost sure to get nominated for it in 2021.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,834
    And it would make sense considering the relationship between James Bond themes and the Oscars :)

Maybe a trailer around the same time?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Wow, that is highly unusual. Of course the Oscars haven't had good ratings for awhile, so debuting a Bond title would be a hell of a way to draw in viewers.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Seems like 2020 is gonna be just as rewarding for Billie Eilish :D
    Wow, that is highly unusual. Of course the Oscars haven't had good ratings for awhile, so debuting a Bond title would be a hell of a way to draw in viewers.

And it would be quite a classy opportunity to Premiere the song, for all the people complaining she lacks the class and maturity and whatnot.
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    Don’t want to rain on everyones parade, but she may be preforming a non-Bond related song for the ‘In Memoriam’ segment.
    HMBFF wrote: »
    Don’t want to rain on everyones parade, but she may be preforming a non-Bond related song for the ‘In Memoriam’ segment.

Could be but why Eilish specifically for the ceremony if not for Bond?

Sure, that's possible. And 9th February might be a bit early for the premiere. But it WOULD be a good opportunity to debut the song :)

That's very likely. Probably more reasonable we don't get our hopes up. Let's just see what happens in the meantime.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

I jumped on that tweet thinking it could only mean the Bond song. But now I'm second guessing it. If she gets nominated for NTTD next year (and let's face it, that is perfectly possible), she'll probably sing the song there and then. I doubt the Academy would want the same singer with the same song in 2 years time. So now I think the In Memoriam segment is way more likely.

As to the why her, @antovolk, because she's relevant and the Academy wants to appear fresh and hip? And because Lana Del Rey wasn't available to do it? ;)

I jumped on that tweet thinking it could only mean the Bond song. But now I'm second guessing it. If she gets nominated for NTTD next year (and let's face it, that is perfectly possible), she'll probably sing the song there and then. I doubt the Academy would want the same singer with the same song in 2 years time. So now I think the In Memoriam segment is way more likely.

As to the why her, @antovolk, because she's relevant and the Academy wants to appear fresh and hip? And because Lana Del Rey wasn't available to do it? ;)

That's a very good point :-?

Yeah, it would be much smarter to reserve the Bond performance for a possible nomination for the next year. If this does turn out to be an arbitrary Bond title debut, it really better be THAT good because these award ceremonies are notorious for going on overtime.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Her full performance at Reading for anyone who wants to see it :)

As for a possible Oscar peformance, they may want to ride the wave of her Grammy win with the reveal of the song. As for Oscars next year, if she performs the song this year, it won't really be necessary to do next year, even if she wins an award.

As I mentioned in my reply on Twitter I don't think they'd mind too much about her performing the song two ceremonies in a row. And I don't think an In Memoriam appearance would be advertised in this way....

Seems almost certain it will be the Bond song!
  • The would be unprecedented and very strange... setting aside time in a ceremony dedicated to the previous year's films to market a film yet to be released??
    The would be unprecedented and very strange... setting aside time in a ceremony dedicated to the previous year's films to market a film yet to be released??

They were gonna have an Avengers reunion on stage last year to promote Endgame...
    Not that this confirms anything at all, but CF just liked Billie's IG post about the Oscars performance.

It looks like the only other post of hers he has liked (that I've seen) is when she announced that she was doing the Bond theme....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I'm okay with her doing it then because I want to hear it and it's got a huge audience reach. BUT come on ... is the title of it about death? Is the title even maybe "No Time To Die" - and she sings this before or after the Memoriam tribute, to all who have died this past year. Sheesh. That is just not tasteful.

Matt wrote: »
    Not that this confirms anything at all, but CF just liked Billie's IG post about the Oscars performance.

It looks like the only other post of hers he has liked (that I've seen) is when she announced that she was doing the Bond theme....

That's at least one indication. Nothing solid, but still... you never know.
    Well, I'm okay with her doing it then because I want to hear it and it's got a huge audience reach. BUT come on ... is the title of it about death? Is the title even maybe "No Time To Die" - and she sings this before or after the Memoriam tribute, to all who have died this past year. Sheesh. That is just not tasteful.

If she's going to do the title song I doubt it will be during the In Memoriam tribute either way because even if it doesn't have the title "No Time to Die" as her song title it would still be incredibly distracting to perform the debut appearance of a song during that segment. So either she'll sing the title song during an unrelated segment of the show or she'll sing something non-Bond and fitting for the In Memoriam section.
    About the 'having to perform the song two ceremonies in a row' point - ABC did plan last year to only have two of the nominated songs be performed. They quite clearly are looking to cut things down, and getting the jump on a potential nominee next year - that's one less song to worry about squeezing in for the 2021 show

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/oscars-best-song-performances
    antovolk wrote: »
    About the 'having to perform the song two ceremonies in a row' point - ABC did plan last year to only have two of the nominated songs be performed. They quite clearly are looking to cut things down, and getting the jump on a potential nominee next year - that's one less song to worry about squeezing in for the 2021 show

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/oscars-best-song-performances

Forgot of that detail. Hmm...
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    My god you guys like blowing smoke. Whomever said her performance might be for the In memoriam segment never implied it would be the song for Bond. Plus there’s nothing to say she IS singing that segment of the Oscars.

She’s going to perform. If it’s Bond great if it’s not whatever. But the endless specialities comes off as belly aching. The film will be here soon enough!
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    My god you guys like blowing smoke. Whomever said her performance might be for the In memoriam segment never implied it would be the song for Bond. Plus there’s nothing to say she IS singing that segment of the Oscars.

She’s going to perform. If it’s Bond great if it’s not whatever. But the endless specialities comes off as belly aching. The film will be here soon enough!

I dunno about everyone else, but I'm just having fun speculating! You can even see on the comments that a bunch of her fans are wondering if it's Bond. Whatever the case, it's adding to the hype machine that is NTTD. Contrast that with the end of November, when it seemed so many were worried that EON was not kicking off the marketing soon enough to make an impact at the box office. So far, it's been looking pretty good.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Think about it. Would they really take that risk of her singing the Bond song live for the first time ever - with billions of people watching? Anything can happend. Her voice cracks, bad sound, the drummes dies, cameraman dies, the live feed goes down, someone storms the stage, etc.

EON wouldn't risk that. They wan't total control and the only way to present the track for the first time (when ever that may be) is by publishing a perfect studio version via all 007-channels, either just the audio or as a cool music video (and followed perhaps by a lyrics version).
    Contraband wrote: »
    Think about it. Would they really take that risk of her singing the Bond song live for the first time ever - with billions of people watching? Anything can happend. Her voice cracks, bad sound, the drummes dies, cameraman dies, the live feed goes down, someone storms the stage, etc.

EON wouldn't risk that. They wan't total control and the only way to present the track for the first time (when ever that may be) is by publishing a perfect studio version via all 007-channels, either just the audio or as a cool music video (and followed perhaps by a lyrics version).

For all we know they may still do that shortly before the live performance. Anything is possible.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Contraband wrote: »

For all we know they may still do that shortly before the live performance. Anything is possible.

Sure. Even better presenting the track via channels some hour or a day before the live feed, as a solid backup.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think we feel closer to the film's release now than ever....maybe 2months left...so we can now afford to wait a little more for anything....maybe time to indulge fully in everything Bond....i.e movies, theme songs, scores, games, novels, etc. As we finish the final lap of waiting.
    It is kinda risky, but it would be a hell of a coup for sure marketing-wise. And you can be sure it will have been rehearsed (with those rehearsals recorded to cut in in case there are any issues) loads by the time that happens.

Anyway, if the Oscars don't turn out, remember that the BRIT Awards are the following weekend....
    That one does sound not that bad.

If it’s oceans you like this is far better in my opinion

After all

"We've done four already but now we're steady
    And then they went: One, two, three, four"
This discussion has been closed.