What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That one does sound not that bad.

Yep, I posted this one the other day ; it’s reassuring

It's good to know, that Boldfinger is not biased regarding Eilish and Zimmer. Not at all. B-) ;)
    Correct me if I´m wrong, but I don´t think I spread depression. In fact I have a feeling I hold back more than a lot of people in favor of Eilish and Zimmer.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,261
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It's good to know, that Boldfinger is not biased regarding Eilish and Zimmer. Not at all. B-) ;)
    Correct me if I´m wrong, but I don´t think I spread depression. In fact I have a feeling I hold back more than a lot of people in favor of Eilish and Zimmer.

I did not say you spread depression. Simply a very tiny small bit of dislike. And in my book, that is something completely different. No harm intended. :-B #:-S
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,023
    Denbigh wrote: »
    We should also give some attention to her brother FINNEAS who she writes and produces with, and will be helping with this Bond theme. Here's some of his solo stuff:

And here's them together peforming a version of one of their earlier songs :)

His songs are more melodic. Prefer his voice.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    antovolk wrote: »
    That was good, thanks for posting. He seems sincere enough about the job.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Definitely very insightful, it sounds like they were really sincere and honoured to get the job. The fact they fought for it kind of pours cold water on those here who said that she sounded fake when she was excited about having been chosen and delivered the song.

Much more convinced by this than what Smith said writing it in 30 minutes (it showed) and then moaning about it.

Also the working with Zimmer should almost guarantee this will be woven into the score.

I can't change others mind but they might not be excited about this despite spending a lot of time in the threads devoted to the film (you know who you are) then saying I'm not that bothered about this.

Well I couldn't be more pumped, I think this could have the potential to DC's 2nd best or maybe his best, we'll see, April 3rd can't get here quick enough.
  • Shardlake wrote: »

Definitely very insightful, it sounds like they were really sincere and honoured to get the job. The fact they fought for it kind of pours cold water on those here who said that she sounded fake when she was excited about having been chosen and delivered the song.
    I am happy to be soaked with cold water. It is very refreshing that they truly had to want it and fought for getting the honors to do the song.

Still going into it with super low expectations, but it as you said, at least they're putting more than 30 minutes into it.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Minion wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

I quite liked that, I'm keeping an open mind on her, with Zimmer involved could be something really special.
    I think the thing to keep in mind is that she is a very versatile talent, and even though some remain unconvinced, I believe she has everything and more to be able to pull off a great Bond theme :D

+1 :)

The song has been written and demo'd already. I have complete faith that Babs, Michael, CJF, and DC all gave the green light after hearing it. If it had sucked, we'd be talking about another artist right now.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Bitches broken hearts? Possibly the title of the new Bond song relating to Madeline?
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited January 2020 Posts: 98
    They fought for their song, like Duran Duran's AVTAK. I like it

The short interview gave us another name, Stephen Lipson, who teamed-up with Hans Zimmer on Dark Night rises (music score mixer), The lion king (song producer), Top Gun Maverick (music mixer)
    full list : https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1483807/

That shows a real connection between Billie Eilish's song, and Hans Zimmer's factory
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think this is the first time in a long while....in the Bond franchise, where Composer and Artist feel it's a dream come through working on a Bond film....all the more reason to be optimistic about everything music for NTTD.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    I can't believe the traction this thread has, I for one am looking forward to their title song and can't wait to hear it. Always interested to hear something out of left field.

Guess we will see, but then again... I like WOTW, so what do I know
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    I can't believe the traction this thread has, I for one am looking forward to their title song and can't wait to hear it. Always interested to hear something out of left field.

I do, too. I didn't love it, but it was a good song. I especially like Newman's instrumental arrangement that plays during the love scene and then as the train winds its way through the Moroccan desert, with the sun coming up. It's my favorite part of the film.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    New Billie Eilish video: she drives a car underwater... No, not what you're thinking

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    @ggl007 Everything I Wanted is one of my favourite songs of hers :)
  • Shardlake wrote: »
    April 3rd can't get here quick enough.
    You get to watch it on April 3rd?!?!?! Jealous.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 11,425
    I think if she goes for one of her slower more breathy
    TripAces wrote: »
    Agent_47 wrote: »

I do, too. I didn't love it, but it was a good song. I especially like Newman's instrumental arrangement that plays during the love scene and then as the train winds its way through the Moroccan desert, with the sun coming up. It's my favorite part of the film.

That's a highlight of the movie. Just a shame Newman didn't use it more. I also quite like TWOTW.

And AWTD works fine within the context of the title credits - taken on it's own it has to be said it's a bit of mess, but in context it kind of works and seems to also suit Craig Bond.

While Skyfall is probably a superior song, I don't know if captures Craig's Bond as well.

Anyway, the Craig era hasn't been too bad for songs. Not stand out but better overall I think than the Brosnan era, where only GE and Surrender are any good.

Having said that, is it wrong of me to say I don't think Madonna's song is THAT bad either.

• 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    That’s because Craig has played two iterations of Bond in a way.

He played “Reboot Bond” for two films.

In Skyfall he was back to playing “franchise Bond” because it was implied that he had seen his share of action between QOS and SF. Even the the exploding pen line was a nod to the franchise as a whole it kind’ve brought elements of past Bond films into the Craig continuity. The DB5 in storage WITH gadgets is also proof of this.

So the Adele song is more in line with “franchise Bond” because Mendes sort of intended to blur the lines between the old and new, thus establishing Craig Bond as the same man from the previous 20 films pre CR.

I would’ve preferred both from the interpretation of Bond and the music to stick in the reboot phase that we had from his first two films. Even if I don’t like AWTD that much it at least fits the intention of the filmmakers at the time.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Getafix wrote: »
    Having said that, is it wrong of me to say I don't think Madonna's song is THAT bad either.

I like the Vegas remix used in the ending credits. And I think it's not too bad when accompanied by the title credits, but if I am to listen to all Bond songs out of the movies DAD is the very last one I'd choose (unless we're including ending credits songs too, then Serra's Experience of Love wins... or loses, depending on your view on the matter).

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    April 3rd can't get here quick enough.
    You get to watch it on April 3rd?!?!?! Jealous.
    I'm gonna see it April 2nd. As soon as possible :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Walecs wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

I like the Vegas remix used in the ending credits. And I think it's not too bad when accompanied by the title credits, but if I am to listen to all Bond songs out of the movies DAD is the very last one I'd choose (unless we're including ending credits songs too, then Serra's Experience of Love wins... or loses, depending on your view on the matter).

Serra shouldn't have done it. But it was his thing. He did something similar for the end titles of The 5th Element and Léon. Not his best moments, musically.

Back to Billie; has it been confirmed (or am I imagining things) that she and Zimmer are/were/have been working together for NTTD?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Back to Billie; has it been confirmed (or am I imagining things) that she and Zimmer are/were/have been working together for NTTD?

She said she has been "working with Hans". That's about it. Which sounds very promising.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

She said she has been "working with Hans". That's about it. Which sounds very promising.
    Don't forget Finneas. Three very talented people working on it :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sounds promising indeed. They can keep each other in check. I feel like this film is shaping up nicely; it's showing promise in almost every department. So far, the title is the least intriguing part for me. That's good.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,021
    00Dalton7 wrote: »

In Skyfall he was back to playing “franchise Bond” because it was implied that he had seen his share of action between QOS and SF. Even the the exploding pen line was a nod to the franchise as a whole it kind’ve brought elements of past Bond films into the Craig continuity. The DB5 in storage WITH gadgets is also proof of this.

So the Adele song is more in line with “franchise Bond” because Mendes sort of intended to blur the lines between the old and new, thus establishing Craig Bond as the same man from the previous 20 films pre CR.

I would’ve preferred both from the interpretation of Bond and the music to stick in the reboot phase that we had from his first two films. Even if I don’t like AWTD that much it at least fits the intention of the filmmakers at the time.

The point of the end of CR was that Bond had become the fully formed person that we were introduced to in DN. I don’t think the original plan in 2006 was that “reboot Bond” would be a thing for Craig’s entire run, but rather that because CR was so popular it was decided QOS would be a direct “continuation” where Bond was still behaving impulsively and making mistakes, also continuing how CR discarded old tropes and characters like Q and Moneypenny. I think EON realized that didn’t quite work given its mixed reception. Also because of the four year gap and the 50th anniversary, it made more sense to reintroduce Craig’s Bond as being a 00 veteran that likely had a bunch of adventures akin to DN-DAD, but more in spirit rather than literally.

And I’m glad SF turned things around. I don’t think I would have been happy with Craig’s run just being the same guy we saw in CR, without any of the character growth and never reintroducing the many other elements that’s associated with the older films. CR was an exceptional Bond film, and should always remain as such.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    00Dalton7 wrote: »

The point of the end of CR was that Bond had become the fully formed person that we were introduced to in DN. I don’t think the original plan in 2006 was that “reboot Bond” would be a thing for Craig’s entire run, but rather that because CR was so popular it was decided QOS would be a direct “continuation” where Bond was still behaving impulsively and making mistakes, also continuing how CR discarded old tropes and characters like Q and Moneypenny. I think EON realized that didn’t quite work given its mixed reception. Also because of the four year gap and the 50th anniversary, it made more sense to reintroduce Craig’s Bond as being a 00 veteran that likely had a bunch of adventures akin to DN-DAD, but more in spirit rather than literally.

And I’m glad SF turned things around. I don’t think I would have been happy with Craig’s run just being the same guy we saw in CR, without any of the character growth and never reintroducing the many other elements that’s associated with the older films. CR was an exceptional Bond film, and should always remain as such.

+1
    We should also give some attention to her brother FINNEAS who she writes and produces with, and will be helping with this Bond theme. Here's some of his solo stuff:

And here's them together peforming a version of one of their earlier songs :)

:O

I never knew he was a singer too

...why does he sound British tho? Isn't he American? At least in the first song he sounds like that

I expect the Bond theme to sound like the second song that you posted, but probably with a better/catchier chorus

Hopefully Finneas we'll be part of the song too, I think adding his voice for a chorus or something like that may add something..

Love the cover you posted too!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,869

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I don’t think I would have been happy with Craig’s run just being the same guy we saw in CR, without any of the character growth and never reintroducing the many other elements that’s associated with the older films.
    Hell, yeah, @MakeshiftPython.

They've been putting the screws to Bond in every film, and reestablishing the elements of the original Bond film formula. Quite an era to witness playing out.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t think I would have been happy with Craig’s run just being the same guy we saw in CR, without any of the character growth and never reintroducing the many other elements that’s associated with the older films.
    Hell, yeah, @MakeshiftPython.

They've been putting the screws to Bond in every film, and reestablishing the elements of the original Bond film formula. Quite an era to witness playing out.

One of the things I really enjoyed seeing in SPECTRE was Craig just straight up playing classic Bond. No longer the upstart that has something to prove from CR, the guy haunted by a dead lover in QOS, or the very world weary guy from SF, but rather just Bond being in his prime, strutting like he's hot s***. You really get that with the way he's casually walking on the rooftops of Mexico City, how he walks away from his dispatched parachute "good evening", and many other moments as if he has an attitude that he owns the world. He's playing classic Bond, but one that evolved from the previous films.

I noticed some fans accused Craig of phoning it in, but I think that comes from the fact that he was no longer playing Bond as if the character had a chip on his shoulder, so in a sense he doesn't come off as compelling as he did in the previous films. Going by the trailer for NTTD, it looks like some of that angst is coming back a bit in his performance, though he also seems to still carry the confidence from SP. How that all fits into a cohesive character story will be revealed with the premiere of the film.
This discussion has been closed.