What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Shocking, @Getafix ? It's just dull to me. In the score nicely, though. I found Writings On The Wall in the score to be okay, too.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Octopussy wrote: »
    No matter what song people post, the more of her that I hear, the less suited to Bond I think she is.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I don't feel her voice has the maturity for Bond, IMO. This feels like a marketing decision to bring more young people who may have not been Bond fans before into the fold through her following. Hopefully we're all proven wrong!

I know that brining in a new generation is good for the series, but she is so monotonous. I couldn't tell you what the charts are like these days, not that I have ever really paid attention to them, but surely there must be a young singer, popular with the younger generation, that emits some semblance of life when they are singing. It's like listening to Henry Kissinger sing.

Her style is absolutely not for me. And I can't see NTTD being any different from her style, otherwise why would they have hired her.

Wait a second. That’s quite a leap in logic there. You expect NTTD to have the same style as Billie Eilish. And you describe her style as monotonous.
    Did we watch the same promo clips? Because when I watch that little Jamaica tease or the trailer, one feeling I don’t get from this film is ‘monotonous’.
    Didn’t Sam Smith talk about how he had written ‘the greatest love story’ and how it was fitting for the film? When I think of that film, ‘a great love story’ is not what comes to mind.
    Adele’s Skyfall is very melodramatic. And yes, the film is probably one of the more melodramatic Bond films. But it’s not like that the whole time. There’s nothing melodramatic about the PTS or Bond clamping onto train carriages.
    So while Billie Eilish has a very ‘emo and monotone’ vibe to her sound, I doubt that one song will decide the whole vibe of an entire film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Hehehehe, this reminds me of when Rihanna opened up about her loving Star Trek because she used to grow up watching it with her father and SO MANY Trek fans just flat out called her a liar, saying that she never Trek in her life.

I don’t get why fans react like this, aside from possibly wanting to justify their resentment for these artists by claiming they don’t actually like it or as @talos7 puts it has “great disdain” for it.

All I have to ask is: what the hell do you even know to make that presumption?

Because some people ooze the aura of a fraud?

Can some people just wait for the song?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,962
    With all that’s been said, I do think that she possesses vocal talent and I’m hoping for the best, especially since she’s working with Zimmer.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    If the song turns out to be Stellar, eating back one's words might be a bit difficult. So it's better to just wait for the end product....there's always freedom to criticize then....Sitting on the fence might just be ideal for now.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    If the song turns out to be Stellar, eating back one's words might be a bit difficult. So it's better to just wait for the end product....there's always freedom to criticize then....Sitting on the fence might just be ideal for now.

Wise words @GadgetMan :-bd
    I'm not a fan of Billie Eilish in any way. I don't like her music personally, but she is very popular. However, she's doing the theme tune to a Bond film. It has no context to the films story. She's not in the film. I don't understand the huge amount of resent and arguing over a person that sings the theme song, that hasn't even been heard yet!
    For all we know it could be amazing.
    It could be utter rubbish.
    But I'll keep calm till I hear it. And even if I don't like it, it's not going to ruin the overall film for me.
    So Johnny Marr is working with Hans Zimmer, and Zimmer has worked with (Come On) Eilish on the song. So is Marr likely to feature on the song itself?
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 565
    Well. I am a little, but I guess not wholly, surprised by some people on this forum being intensely against Billie doing the Bond title song. But I hope we all move away from these ongoing attacks and also stop berating each other. You put it well, @DarthDimi .

I'm looking forward to the song. So she's already worked on it for a couple of months, with Hans. I could just possibly REALLY like it. I could dislike it. I have no idea, but I'm fine with her being chosen and content to keep an open mind about it.

The title song won't ruin the movie. I really dislike Another Way To Die and Madonna's effort (cannot even remember the exact name of it). I don't much care for some others either (All Time High or The Writings On The Wall come to mind). The movie matters, and while a great title song helps uplift it (and yes, I want it woven into the score), I've learned that ones I don't like (or even can barely stand) does not ruin the movie at all for me. Once the film starts, that takes over (thankfully).

I don't exactly get the warm and fuzzies that she cares about Bond. It feels like she's saying it because she has to. There was a little glimmer of excitement when talking about when it gets released (@2:30), so maybe.

Probably more important than Eilish herself, is her brother (who I assume wrote the song). I can only hope that he is excited by the gig, because that just may be the drive needed for them to do Bond justice.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,043
    I really can't assume at this stage at all what to know she is going to deliver.

Maybe those that do can give me a lend of their crystal ball, it could come in handy.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I really can't assume at this stage at all what to know she is going to deliver.

Maybe those that do can give me a lend of their crystal ball, it could come in handy.

+1
    SaintMark wrote: »
    +1
    +2
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Octopussy wrote: »
    No matter what song people post, the more of her that I hear, the less suited to Bond I think she is.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I don't feel her voice has the maturity for Bond, IMO. This feels like a marketing decision to bring more young people who may have not been Bond fans before into the fold through her following. Hopefully we're all proven wrong!

I know that brining in a new generation is good for the series, but she is so monotonous. I couldn't tell you what the charts are like these days, not that I have ever really paid attention to them, but surely there must be a young singer, popular with the younger generation, that emits some semblance of life when they are singing. It's like listening to Henry Kissinger sing.

Her style is absolutely not for me. And I can't see NTTD being any different from her style, otherwise why would they have hired her.

Wait a second. That’s quite a leap in logic there. You expect NTTD to have the same style as Billie Eilish. And you describe her style as monotonous.
    Did we watch the same promo clips? Because when I watch that little Jamaica tease or the trailer, one feeling I don’t get from this film is ‘monotonous’.
    Didn’t Sam Smith talk about how he had written ‘the greatest love story’ and how it was fitting for the film? When I think of that film, ‘a great love story’ is not what comes to mind.
    Adele’s Skyfall is very melodramatic. And yes, the film is probably one of the more melodramatic Bond films. But it’s not like that the whole time. There’s nothing melodramatic about the PTS or Bond clamping onto train carriages.
    So while Billie Eilish has a very ‘emo and monotone’ vibe to her sound, I doubt that one song will decide the whole vibe of an entire film.

I should have put that better, that's my fault, but I meant the NTTD title track. Sorry.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Univex wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    +1
    +2

+3
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 309
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Well. I am a little, but I guess not wholly, surprised by some people on this forum being intensely against Billie doing the Bond title song. But I hope we all move away from these ongoing attacks and also stop berating each other. You put it well, @DarthDimi .

I'm looking forward to the song. So she's already worked on it for a couple of months, with Hans. I could just possibly REALLY like it. I could dislike it. I have no idea, but I'm fine with her being chosen and content to keep an open mind about it.

The title song won't ruin the movie. I really dislike Another Way To Die and Madonna's effort (cannot even remember the exact name of it). I don't much care for some others either (All Time High or The Writings On The Wall come to mind). The movie matters, and while a great title song helps uplift it (and yes, I want it woven into the score), I've learned that ones I don't like (or even can barely stand) does not ruin the movie at all for me. Once the film starts, that takes over (thankfully).

I don't exactly get the warm and fuzzies that she cares about Bond. It feels like she's saying it because she has to. There was a little glimmer of excitement when talking about when it gets released (@2:30), so maybe.

Probably more important than Eilish herself, is her brother (who I assume wrote the song). I can only hope that he is excited by the gig, because that just may be the drive needed for them to do Bond justice.

Give her a break. She’s 18. She doesn’t have to give a polished interview to prove she’s a Bond fan. Daniel Craig is James Bond and many general filmgoers assumed he hated the role after hearing misrepresented comments about wanting to slit his own wrists.

She was hired, like everyone else for this film, because the producers want what she has to offer. In her case, she can sing, has a hit album and a large, dedicated fan base.

Not everyone who likes James Bond can quote Fleming or give intimate details on the making of Dr. No. The producers came to her and she accepted the job. She didn’t have to sing the NTTD title song. She sang it because she wanted to. That tells me enough about her positive feelings for the franchise, and I’m satisfied. We’ll see if her song is any good but let’s not project the worst intentions or motives on an 18 year old woman that’s done nothing wrong.

The fact that grown men (and maybe women) have such vitriol for a teenager that wants to positively contribute to the franchise that we all love is disheartening and unsettling.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Fukunaga/Broccoli/Wilson/Craig/Zimmer: "This is the best Bond movie yet and I loved working on it"
    Fans: OMG GUYZ THEY SAID IT THEMSELVES THIS IS GONNA BE AN AMAZING MOVIE
    Eilish: I love James Bond, it's the coolest franchise of them all
    Fans: Nah, she's blatantly lying, her song will most certainly suck
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    Burgess wrote: »

Give her a break. She’s 18. She doesn’t have to give a polished interview to prove she’s a Bond fan. Daniel Craig is James Bond and many general filmgoers assumed he hated the role after hearing misrepresented comments about wanting to slit his own wrists.

She was hired, like everyone else for this film, because the producers want what she has to offer. In her case, she can sing, has a hit album and a large, dedicated fan base.

Not everyone who likes James Bond can quote Fleming or give intimate details on the making of Dr. No. The producers came to her and she accepted the job. She didn’t have to sing the NTTD title song. She sang it because she wanted to. That tells me enough about her positive feelings for the franchise, and I’m satisfied. We’ll see if her song is any good but let’s not project the worst intentions or motives on an 18 year old woman that’s done nothing wrong.

The fact that grown men (and maybe women) have such vitriol for a teenager that wants to positively contribute to the franchise that we all love is disheartening and unsettling.

Well said and fair!
    +1 sir 🍸
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Problem is, those who jumped the gun to voice those views never stick around to realize how foolish they sounded, as they've already moved on towards something else to baselessly complain about.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Fukunaga/Broccoli/Wilson/Craig/Zimmer: "This is the best Bond movie yet and I loved working on it"
    Fans: OMG GUYZ THEY SAID IT THEMSELVES THIS IS GONNA BE AN AMAZING MOVIE
    Eilish: I love James Bond, it's the coolest franchise of them all
    Fans: Nah, she's blatantly lying, her song will most certainly suck

Certainly suck? Absolutely not, she could, along with Zimmer, knock it out of the park.
    Blatantly lying about thinking that the Bond franchise is the coolest? Lying? That may be a bit strong; substantially fudging or exaggerating is more likely. 😏
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 565
    Burgess wrote: »

Fair enough. That said, I don't have vitriol for her. I just despise her as the choice to sing a Bond title song. Also I think it's worth mentioning that people have different influences and motives for doing something and it's not always always a genuine desire (for the sake of it.) I'm not going to pretend that I know Eilish's motives or level of interest and as such I will absolutely give the benefit of the doubt before passing judgement on the end product. I merely stated how the interviews came across to me and certainly my impression could absolutely be dead wrong (and I hope it is)!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    "I don't have vitriol for her, I just despite her"
    I'm glad Zimmer is collaborating with Eilish on the title song. One would hope that that would mean that he will have one or two instrumental versions of the title song in the film. I'm looking more forward to hearing Zimmer's soundtrack than I am the actual movie. Now, that I've said that, the soundtrack will probably be s**t. :)
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Hehehehe, this reminds me of when Rihanna opened up about her loving Star Trek because she used to grow up watching it with her father and SO MANY Trek fans just flat out called her a liar, saying that she never Trek in her life.

I don’t get why fans react like this, aside from possibly wanting to justify their resentment for these artists by claiming they don’t actually like it or as @talos7 puts it has “great disdain” for it.

All I have to ask is: what the hell do you even know to make that presumption?

Because some people ooze the aura of a fraud?

Can some people just wait for the song?
    Sure. Those are two different things. I can only speak for myself. I have no problem waiting for my final verdict until I have heard and seen the final product, possibly I´ll wait even longer, because I like to watch Bond films several times. But that doesn´t change a very strong gut feeling that I have, and up till now, my gut feelings were very reliable companions.
    Why don´t you tell all those people prophesying that this will be oh so great to wait for the song? If so many people seem so happy about the situation, surely a few guys panicking can´t spoil the fun?

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Being of the older generation, i like a few others on here, had never heard of her. And even when i read about her i had no idea how you pronounce her second name..!

After delving into her stuff on youtube i found her quite pleasant to listen to. That song 'Ocean Eyes' is quite my cup of tea.

With her breathy vocals i don't think we'll get a powerful Bond song, but i think it'll be a good one nevertheless.
    Being of the older generation, i like a few others on here, had never heard of her. And even when i read about her i had no idea how you pronounce her second name..!

After delving into her stuff on youtube i found her quite pleasant to listen to. That song 'Ocean Eyes' is quite my cup of tea.

With her breathy vocals i don't think we'll get a powerful Bond song, but i think it'll be a good one nevertheless.

That’s the thing, she’s obviously talented and I like bits and pieces of what she does but strongly dislike her overall presence and sound. My hope is that Zimmer will help direct her in a way that taps into her talents, allows her to put her stamp on it but also stretches her.
    How many people were surprised to hear Lady Gaga sing the standards withTony Bennett? I really wish that she was doing it,
    I can hear the Lana Del Ray influence on that track.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia

When I close my eyes, I am already imagining "Ocean Eyes" as the new Bond song.

New era for sure, but it has some bits of that classic vibe.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Billie in action at iHeartRadio ALTer EGO 2020. Thought I posted all concert clips so you can get an better idea of her material, voice, range plus energy on stage.

And chat

Am in the same boat as you. I like her voice, but her songs don't do much for me, am just hopeful it's something decent. If Zimmer has been working with her it may not be her usual type of song!
    Funny, I have the opposite opinion of the group Garbage for TWINE! They should have been left to do their own thing, because the finished theme didn't sound as good as It could have been!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Am in the same boat as you. I like her voice, but her songs don't do much for me, am just hopeful it's something decent. If Zimmer has been working with her it may not be her usual type of song!
    Funny, I have the opposite opinion of the group Garbage for TWINE! They should have been left to do their own thing, because the finished theme didn't sound as good as It could have been!

I agree with every word of this post.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited January 2020 Posts: 98
    This is what I don't want from Billie Eilish :D

I'm sure she'll surprise her fan base, then everybody, with the NTTD title song
This discussion has been closed.