What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Was she meaning to make a jab at Marvel without naming them?

Undoubtedly....just what I thought as well...she certainly was. I also think she meant even the worst Bond films have something cool.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,025
    I assume she finds more appeal in Bond because he's an edgier character than what you can find from Marvel. Bond can be a cold bastard in a way Marvel can't let their characters, and that's what makes him stand out.
    The Colbert bit is a joke, as it was meant to be. Even referencing the fact that CBS’s demographics tends to skew old, so he goes for the most off “out there” bit of music by Eilish to comedic effect.

But if we’re to look for a song that might indicate where she could go with Bond, then I think a song like “Ocean Eyes” is more likely something we’ll get than something like “Bad Guy”.

The perfect fit for Zimmer: Lack of substance, trying to hide behing production gimmicks.
    Everything is possible, but all the songs I´ve heard from Eilish give me the impression that Madonna´s song was a Bond hymn.
    What I mean is, I would be incredibly happy to be proven wrong :-).

• RC7RC7
    She makes all the right noises, whether she’s genuine or not. It’s great that someone that young is happy to wax lyrical about the series. Seems like Zimmer has been working with her also, which is fantastic to hear.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    No matter what song people post, the more of her that I hear, the less suited to Bond I think she is.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    No matter what song people post, the more of her that I hear, the less suited to Bond I think she is.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I don't feel her voice has the maturity for Bond, IMO. This feels like a marketing decision to bring more young people who may have not been Bond fans before into the fold through her following. Hopefully we're all proven wrong!
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Spot on @Octopussy, people should stop trying to justify her hiring based on her music. It's nothing but a business decision.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited January 2020 Posts: 972
    Her song Copycat sounds Bondian... It'll probably be something like that.

[video]
    That song doesn't give me much confidence. Eilish's voice is monotonous in every song I've heard. It never seems to elevate.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,025
    Octopussy wrote: »
    That song doesn't give me much confidence. Eilish's voice is monotonous in every song I've heard. It never seems to elevate.

Someone posted a video about the death of melody. It seems many modern songs are constructed around a very limited range. It’s popular.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I don't feel "Copycat" either.
    "Ocean Eyes" is the only Eilish's song that I've heard so far that gives me some hope for the Bond theme.
  • vzok wrote: »

Someone posted a video about the death of melody. It seems many modern songs are constructed around a very limited range. It’s popular.

Unless she dramatically changes her style, I'm afraid the Bond theme will be a disappointment to older listeners like me, who were bought up on strong melodies. I've had a good listen to her album and it's really difficult for me to see her appeal I'm afraid. I'm happy to admit my lack of understanding is generational, and I'd never say "she's rubbish", but stylistically I think the song will be like Another Way To Die or Die Another Day to my ears.
    For the record, my favourite Bond theme is From Russia With Love.
    Like Paul Epworth, I have a feeling Billie & Finneas watched several Bond films & listened to several Bond Scores & Theme Songs to capture the Bond Sound. I think Finneas even Mentioned Goldfinger & Live & Let Die. True, Billie doesn't sound like Bond in her other songs, but it doesn't mean she won't sound like Bond in NTTD. And the mention of Goldfinger & Live & Let die might just be a Subtle Hint that those are the films they might have looked at, before doing NTTD'S theme song.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

Unless she dramatically changes her style, I'm afraid the Bond theme will be a disappointment to older listeners like me, who were bought up on strong melodies. I've had a good listen to her album and it's really difficult for me to see her appeal I'm afraid. I'm happy to admit my lack of understanding is generational, and I'd never say "she's rubbish", but stylistically I think the song will be like Another Way To Die or Die Another Day to my ears.

FRWL would be top 5 for me. I don’t get it if they go for a restricted range song, as that would make for a dull day instrumental. But I don’t want them copying Goldfinger either.

Oddly, her voice reminds me a bit of Sheryl Crow’s in the beginning of Tomorrow Never Dies. If we get a song like that it will be the best outcome, IMO. For the record I find Crow’s TND theme pretty forgettable. I see Eilish’s song being more of a Another Way to Die or Die Another Day, though, as mentioned previously.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The jury is open with me on Billie Eilish.

Where I would now consider myself and no doubt others would from the opinions I espouse on music as I'm hugely passionate about it and it might well eclipse films as my favourite interest. I think that she has something about her that isn't bland or tuned to get mass appeal.

My Wife isn't convinced but she although has eclectic taste like me is possibly more closed off to less melodic music. She likes Radiohead but looks at me funny when I say that I love the new Thom Yorke album, I do it was one of my favourite albums of 2019.

She isn't so much of a fan of their electronic phase and TY's new album is definitely that. So I understand those that feel this way who might well be in my age group, although I like interesting over bland, even so called melodic music can make me cringe.

Though imagine later Radiohead and especially Yorke's solo output would have many more traditional music fans running for the hills.

Although I didn't hear much melody in Sam Smith's song and Adele's while fantastic on the credits is a bit of a dirge outside of it, it is only really Cornell's song I hear melody in and also his lyrics are spot on to where Bond is at that moment in time.

White's is just a rushed effort, although I can't help but enjoy the way it kicks off the film after that visceral PTS. Though the lyrics aren't great and especially by his standard could have been much better.

Also while Adele and Epwoth's song lyrically fit the film, Smith's most definitely did not, a wet unconvincing ballad that didn't fit James Bond 007 whatsoever at all.

Even the lame plot of the film and so called Swann falling in love with Bond it doesn't ring true.

Though I think BE and her brother seem to have a more darker and introspective nature to their lyrics.

They have most likely seen an outline of the plot and story to come up with their song. Smith appears have done this and then just wrote something he thinks was there but plainly wasn't. I just hope that Bille & Finneas haven't applied the same method with theirs.

So I'm not going to dismiss it before it arrives, I wasn't overjoyed with Smith's appointment but I was willing to listen to the song, unfortunately my suspicions were not unfounded.

So for me if it is bland and supposedly melodic like you would get from Ed Sheeran or Dua Lipa it will wind me up more than someone who attempting to be interesting and different, that is just me and I don't get the impression she will be that, though time will tell.

This is the opinion of a 47 year old.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    shamanimal wrote: »

FRWL would be top 5 for me. I don’t get it if they go for a restricted range song, as that would make for a dull day instrumental. But I don’t want them copying Goldfinger either.

Yeah, not necessarily copying Goldfinger, but it just so happens that with that song, Barry finally got the Definitive Bond Sound, although we could feel it coming in FRWL....and Tom Jones' 'Thunderball' which followed Goldfinger, has it's style almost entirely. Gladys Knight's 'Licence to Kill' as well & even K.D Lang's 'Surrender'. These songs don't sound exactly like Goldfinger, but one could tell Goldfinger inspired them. Just like Goldfrapp's 'Pilots' sounds Bond & Barry....but doesn't exactly sound like any of Barry's work.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Yes, but blaming Lucifer for suicide rates when the world is literally going on fire due to climate changes is kinda stupid.
    Haha!! Thanks for the good laugh, buddy. So you’re one of those. The end is near. We won’t make it till next year because another wildfire lit up California and another hurricane hit Florida. Straight out of Bernie Sanders’ playbook. News flash - there’s always been wildfires in CA and there’s always been hurricanes in FL! Yet no one screamed the sky is falling over these “calamities” just 20 years ago. It’s a modern fad to ignore all other problems and focus on “climate change”. Remember how Al Gore promoted Global Warming until this “truth” became “inconvenient” so they changed it to “climate change”? Don’t worry, in another year or two they’ll think of something else. Maybe turn off the TV and go outside and smell the fresh air instead of listening to the fear mongers whose only goal is to make a buck.

Honest question, why would Lucifer be more plausible than climate changes?
    No one said climate change isn’t plausible. Climate change has been a fact since as far back as we can remember. Climate constantly changes. One winter is super cold, the next one very mild. That’s a fact of life. No reason to create a panic like the end of the world is near because of this. As for Lucifer, as sure as there is evil in the world there is Lucifer.

This is the second time you ignored our request to walk away from this discussion, which we will not be having in any way. Check your PM.
    Well, apparently the other individual keeps this discussion going so why don’t you tell him to “walk away”? Or is it because you agree with his beliefs and not mine so you decided for the rest of the forum that it’s I that should walk away? Sorry, I don’t play that game. Who are you again?
    Actually I had stopped after DarthDimi's warning. But lying to fit your agenda is your way to go.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Like Paul Epworth, I have a feeling Billie & Finneas watched several Bond films & listened to several Bond Scores & Theme Songs to capture the Bond Sound. I think Finneas even Mentioned Goldfinger & Live & Let Die. True, Billie doesn't sound like Bond in her other songs, but it doesn't mean she won't sound like Bond in NTTD. And the mention of Goldfinger & Live & Let die might just be a Subtle Hint that those are the films they might have looked at, before doing NTTD'S theme song.
    Yeah, and that means exactly nothing.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157
    JamesStock wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yes, but blaming Lucifer for suicide rates when the world is literally going on fire due to climate changes is kinda stupid.
    Haha!! Thanks for the good laugh, buddy. So you’re one of those. The end is near. We won’t make it till next year because another wildfire lit up California and another hurricane hit Florida. Straight out of Bernie Sanders’ playbook. News flash - there’s always been wildfires in CA and there’s always been hurricanes in FL! Yet no one screamed the sky is falling over these “calamities” just 20 years ago. It’s a modern fad to ignore all other problems and focus on “climate change”. Remember how Al Gore promoted Global Warming until this “truth” became “inconvenient” so they changed it to “climate change”? Don’t worry, in another year or two they’ll think of something else. Maybe turn off the TV and go outside and smell the fresh air instead of listening to the fear mongers whose only goal is to make a buck.

Honest question, why would Lucifer be more plausible than climate changes?
    No one said climate change isn’t plausible. Climate change has been a fact since as far back as we can remember. Climate constantly changes. One winter is super cold, the next one very mild. That’s a fact of life. No reason to create a panic like the end of the world is near because of this. As for Lucifer, as sure as there is evil in the world there is Lucifer.

This is the second time you ignored our request to walk away from this discussion, which we will not be having in any way. Check your PM.
    Well, apparently the other individual keeps this discussion going so why don’t you tell him to “walk away”? Or is it because you agree with his beliefs and not mine so you decided for the rest of the forum that it’s I that should walk away? Sorry, I don’t play that game. Who are you again?
    Unfortunately this has been the case for several former forum members. As much as I sympathize with the mods' efforts to keep the conversations in line, they do have a tendency to favor a side. If there's no reason to bring up religion, the same, one would think, would apply for climate change.

Regardless, I share your disdain for the satanic nature of Eilish's music and also find her music (as a whole) not appropriate for Bond. The only thing it matches is the relentless self-absorbed emo trip that has been plaguing the Craig films. The Colbert video sums it up quite well, IMO.
    This is not true. No side was picked. I respected DarthDimi's request and stopped arguing but Ringfire didn't. That's why he was warned.
    Not to mention that I was supporting my thesis with arguments whereas Ringfire didn't, so you can't blame anyone for taking my side if they did.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, and that means exactly nothing.

Yeah, it very well could...But our fears about Eilish delivering a proper Bond would have been more....if Eilish said she has never heard of Bond, but will work something out. Of course even if she hasn't heard of Bond, she won't say that in public. but thankfully, like every proper Human, the name 'Bond' rings a bell to her & her brother....so that should at least give us hope....even if we still have our reservations about her.
    The Colbert bit is a joke, as it was meant to be. Even referencing the fact that CBS’s demographics tends to skew old, so he goes for the most off “out there” bit of music by Eilish to comedic effect.

But if we’re to look for a song that might indicate where she could go with Bond, then I think a song like “Ocean Eyes” is more likely something we’ll get than something like “Bad Guy”.

I agree but I wonder if we’ll get something more up tempo considering the reception of Writing’s On The Wall. We’ll hear soon enough. I have faith. I think she’ll write and sing something both appropriate for Bond. Three consecutive Oscars for best song? One can hope.

Aaaand here's Eilish confirming that she's been working on the song with Zimmer for the past couple of months
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,869
    [deleted]
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    “James Bond is so dope” 🙄
    Now I don’t know Eilish personally, but , having a 22 year old daughter, I’m somewhat familiar with her work, which while interesting in some ways is generally depressing and hopelessly gloomy.

With that said, outside of getting the very lucrative and career propelling gig, I doubt if she gives, or has ever given a rat’s ass about James Bond or the franchise. In fact I would think that she has great distain.
    Still, I hope for the best.
    Hehehehe, this reminds me of when Rihanna opened up about her loving Star Trek because she used to grow up watching it with her father and SO MANY Trek fans just flat out called her a liar, saying that she never Trek in her life.

I don’t get why fans react like this, aside from possibly wanting to justify their resentment for these artists by claiming they don’t actually like it or as @talos7 puts it has “great disdain” for it.

All I have to ask is: what the hell do you even know to make that presumption?
    Hehehehe, this reminds me of when Rihanna opened up about her loving Star Trek because she used to grow up watching it with her father and SO MANY Trek fans just flat out called her a liar, saying that she never Trek in her life.

I don’t get why fans react like this, aside from possibly wanting to justify their resentment for these artists by claiming they don’t actually like it or as @talos7 puts it has “great disdain” for it.

All I have to ask is: what the hell do you even know to make that presumption?

My, my aren’t you touchy, is she a relative? 😏
    The material that she’s produced, the generation to which she belongs and her general rebellion against the establishment
    So, “ what the hell do you even know to make that presumption?” the image , whether real or manufactured, that she projects.

edited January 2020 Posts: 8,025
    When you make a claim that she probably has “great disdain” for the franchise, it sounds incredibly overblown.
    When you make a claim that she probably has “great disdain” for the franchise, it sounds incredibly overblown.

And you know that she doesn’t?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    talos7 wrote: »
    “James Bond is so dope” 🙄
    Now I don’t know Eilish personally, but , having a 22 year old daughter, I’m somewhat familiar with her work, which while interesting in some ways is generally depressing and hopelessly gloomy.

With that said, outside of getting the very lucrative and career propelling gig, I doubt if she gives, or has ever given a rat’s ass about James Bond or the franchise. In fact I would think that she has great distain.
    Still, I hope for the best.

+1 listened to the songs mentioned by our members here but not a single one i could find that would sound really impressive. She could still prove me wrong though.
This discussion has been closed.