The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

So pleased for DC in getting a Knives out sequel! :-bd
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Glad to see KNIVES OUT has strong legs at the box office given the competition. So far has made nearly $250m on a $40m budget, so it's no surprise a sequel was quickly green lit.
    Looking forward to watch Knives Out eventually. I've always been a fan of whodunnits, and would be happy for films like that to do well on the big screen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looking forward to watch Knives Out eventually. I've always been a fan of whodunnits, and would be happy for films like that to do well on the big screen.

I think I may go see it on Sunday, when there is finally an early screening.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,279

Knives Out is still running in the cinemas in your area? It only ran for about two weeks here.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Knives Out is still running in the cinemas in your area? It only ran for about two weeks here.

Still playing strong here on the West Coast. It just hit the indie cinemas last month, which was a far better experience than the big chains. When I first saw Knives Out, I actually had to shush the teen sitting to the right of me because they were rattling around the ice in their soda and loudly slurping the water that melted from them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It has been taking a break the last week, but will back from Friday to Wednesday. I am guessing due to the Golden Globes buzz.
    Likely. There were over a hundred theaters added for it on Friday due to how well it performed. When you actually gain theaters during the middle of your box office run, that’s extremely good.
    Minion wrote: »

Still playing strong here on the West Coast. It just hit the indie cinemas last month, which was a far better experience than the big chains. When I first saw Knives Out, I actually had to shush the teen sitting to the right of me because they were rattling around the ice in their soda and loudly slurping the water that melted from them.

Experiences like that is one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema much anymore. It happens almost every time. And with my local cinema being a small one, you're likely to hear it if people behave like that, unfortunately.

It has been taking a break the last week, but will back from Friday to Wednesday. I am guessing due to the Golden Globes buzz.

That's interesting. Knives Out probably isn't the kind of film that will bring people to the cinema around here. If it isn't a massive popcorn blockbuster à la Marvel, Star Wars or similar, it will only run for a limited time.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,554

Experiences like that is one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema much anymore. It happens almost every time. And with my local cinema being a small one, you're likely to hear it if people behave like that, unfortunately.

That's interesting. Knives Out probably isn't the kind of film that will bring people to the cinema around here. If it isn't a massive popcorn blockbuster à la Marvel, Star Wars or similar, it will only run for a limited time.

The film really appeals to older audiences. Not just because of DC, not just because of the rest of the cast, but also because of the buzz and the type of film it is. I think older movie goers (40s, 50s, 60s) have been in need of a good, smart, simple film with no gunfire or bombs or frights or animation or extreme CGI.

It is a fun film. And sometimes, that is such a great thing.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,279
    TripAces wrote: »

The film really appeals to older audiences. Not just because of DC, not just because of the rest of the cast, but also because of the buzz and the type of film it is. I think older movie goers (40s, 50s, 60s) have been in need of a good, smart, simple film with no gunfire or bombs or frights or animation or extreme CGI.

It is a fun film. And sometimes, that is such a great thing.

I can definitely see how the film might appeal to an older audience demographic, and that might be the reason for the limited run at my local cinema. I'm very much looking forward to watching the film for the reasons you mention here – lack of extreme CGI in particular.

And I agree, a fun film is all you need sometimes.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Knives Out has now earned just under $140 million at the US box office. It will overtake Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in the next few days to become the 2nd biggest non-franchise film of 2019, behind Us. World-wide, Knives Out currently stands at $255 million.
    Still a classic:

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @007Blofeld you’ve posted this in three seperate threads. Why?
    This is spamming. Please don’t do it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Knives Out has now earned just under $140 million at the US box office. It will overtake Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in the next few days to become the 2nd biggest non-franchise film of 2019, behind Us. World-wide, Knives Out currently stands at $255 million.

It deserves to it is a much better film, it should win best original screenplay but it won't.
    I'm a big QT fan but Inglorious Basterds is the last great film he made and meandering around Hollywood despite great performances for close to 3 hours makes OUATIH one of his most overrated films to date.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Shardlake wrote: »

It deserves to it is a much better film, it should win best original screenplay but it won't.
    I'm a big QT fan but Inglorious Basterds is the last great film he made and meandering around Hollywood despite great performances for close to 3 hours makes OUATIH one of his most overrated films to date.

Agreed. Inglorious Bastards was a brilliant film, but Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is extremely overrated. The pacing is really off-putting.

So you're the irritating guy who spoils my slurping.
    Octopussy wrote: »

Agreed. Inglorious Bastards was a brilliant film, but Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is extremely overrated. The pacing is really off-putting.

My reaction to OUATIH was similar to SP, actually. It was good until the final act.

Tarantino simply doesn't know how to get out of his own way. He had a really good, strong character study going, against a historical/pop cultural backdrop. And then he crapped the bed with unnecessary, over-the-top violence.

His best film is Jackie Brown. And the reason is that he kept the violence off screen, which makes it more impactful. Consider how Chris Tucker and Bridget Fonda die: their shootings are not shown. And it was a wise decision by QT to not show it.
    Tarantino definitely seems to suffer from apparently not having anyone to tell him where he's going wrong. As a consequence most of his films, while always good in parts, just feel like self indulgence. OUATIH was one of his better recent films IMO. Brad Pitt is actually excellent in it.
  • WhyBondWhyBond USA
    Django Unchained is the best QT flick, not Inglorious.
  • WhyBond wrote: »

I would say it's Pulp Fiction - I guess it's subjective.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,043
    TripAces wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »

My reaction to OUATIH was similar to SP, actually. It was good until the final act.

Tarantino simply doesn't know how to get out of his own way. He had a really good, strong character study going, against a historical/pop cultural backdrop. And then he crapped the bed with unnecessary, over-the-top violence.

His best film is Jackie Brown. And the reason is that he kept the violence off screen, which makes it more impactful. Consider how Chris Tucker and Bridget Fonda die: their shootings are not shown. And it was a wise decision by QT to not show it.

Jackie Brown like you is my favourite QT film with Dogs next then Inglourious Basterds.

PF would be my 4th, the other thing about JB is it still remains Tarantino's most mature film, it is no coincidence he is adapting someone else's work, the late great Elmore Leonard.

Pam Grier and the sorely missed Robert Forster have possibly the best chemistry of any of his films with two beautifully essayed performances. I think Ordell is still Jackson's best QT performance, a real nasty piece of work and although he gets some cool dialogue he is not the likeable Jules Winfield of Pulp Fiction.

A cracking supporting cast and although it has a similar slow burn of OUTIH it isn't going nowhere which at times QT's 9th film appears to being doing, it looks great and Leo and Brad are on fine form but although some people have fallen over themselves to praise it just didn't give me the same experience.

I enjoyed it at the cinema but afterwards I started to think about it and while I've disagreed with others when they say the man in pretentious, I find it hard to argue that not being the case here.

Knives Out is so much more deserving the best original screenplay as it is entertaining but also deviously clever and it gave us a non franchise film that proved a bona fide hit but isn't in the least pretentious at least that is my take on it.

Though some have seen this as some of his best work, so what do I know.

1.Jackie Brown
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. Inglourious Basterds
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Kill Bill
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Kill Bill Part 2
    8. Hateful Eight
    8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    9. Death Proof
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Knives Out is coming on Blu-Ray on February 25, 2020 in North America, and on March 30, 2020 in the UK.
    WhyBond wrote: »

I would say it's Pulp Fiction - I guess it's subjective.

Yes Pulp Fiction is his masterpiece. Everything else is inferior.

Inglorious Bs was really disappointing. Great opening with Waltz but after that fairly dire.

Having said this, Tarantino is a rare director making reasonably big budget films with original screenplays not based on a franchise or superheroes. He deserves respect.
    I guess this would be my ranking.

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Jackie Brown
    3. The Hateful Eight
    4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    5. Reservoir Dogs
    6. Pulp Fiction
    7. Kill Bill
    8. Django Unchained
    9. Death Proof

To be honest they all kind of rank pretty close to each other, with the bottom three just being the films I revisit the least.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not had the chance to see Knives Out yet, but I would love to. It may have to be on dvd for me. So glad it's done so wonderfully well and there will be another film with Daniel as this character.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Daniel+Craig+Lincoln+Center+Honors+Bonnie+nsVucHnE7qKl.jpg

Daniel Craig and Andy Cohen attend the Lincoln Center American Songbook Gala honoring Bonnie Hammer at Broadway Theatre on January 29, 2020 in New York City.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677

Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig must share the same PR coach these days. They're genuinely funny now.