Comments

bundy-and-the-green-river-killer.jpg
    81R15yjClqL._RI_.jpg

Clever posters!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    81R15yjClqL._RI_.jpg

Clever posters!

Yes. Love both the colours and motives/composition. Came across them while looking for movies to watch.
    81R15yjClqL._RI_.jpg

Clever posters!

Yes. Love both the colours and motives/composition. Came across them while looking for movies to watch.

Agree, there's much to love here! Can't say I've ever heard of these films though.
    638e2cac-4e2e-4474-9896-24eaf1e74a8d_1.5144814a2edccc5a28346c93bf4fd654.jpeg?odnWidth=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff
    Max Von Sydow on one iconic poster.
    638e2cac-4e2e-4474-9896-24eaf1e74a8d_1.5144814a2edccc5a28346c93bf4fd654.jpeg?odnWidth=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff
    Max Von Sydow on one iconic poster.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never watched The Exorcist…About time I do something about that.

I watched Max Von Sydow only a few weeks ago, in The Quiller Memorandum (scored by John barry, by the way). Unsurprisingly, he delivered a great performance in this film as well – I only wish he had more scenes in it.

Here are a few posters from the film:

MV5BNDIxODQwYzQtMmFmNi00MzU2LTk2OGItYzRiOGNhMTI2N2I1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg
    71Qekh%2B8EbL._SL1500_.jpg
    The_Quiller_Memorandum-518302725-large.jpg
    The_Quiller_Memorandum-700360282-large.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg?v=1472845224
    I like how they use the white Q in the first poster. My favorite would have to be the last one, though. I like the simple but striking typeface and that image of George Segal running on the right, which looks better than the painted version immediately above. I also feel the drawing looks more pleasing to my eye than in the other posters.

---

I haven't seen this next film but I love the poster.

MV5BYWVhMDczZTQtOGMxYS00NmY3LTg1M2QtMDRmYzI3NmMzMTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MjU0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,105
    ?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

foreign-correspondent-theatrical-poster-1940-david-lee-guss.jpg
    Two brilliant films, great classic posters.

---

91+Lur4AzfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    The Marx Brothers are a poster designers dream with there distinctive characters.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 17,241
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I like how they use the white Q in the first poster. My favorite would have to be the last one, though. I like the simple but striking typeface and that image of George Segal running on the right, which looks better than the painted version immediately above. I also feel the drawing looks more pleasing to my eye than in the other posters.

Out of these Quiller posters, the last one appeals most to me as well. It's simple, but very effective. I also like the colour palette of the top one.
    I haven't seen this next film but I love the poster.

MV5BYWVhMDczZTQtOGMxYS00NmY3LTg1M2QtMDRmYzI3NmMzMTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MjU0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Nice one! The framed black and white imagery with the red typography made me think of the Raging Bull movie poster. That's quite a cast too: Gena Rowlands, Mia Farrow, Gene Hackmann, etc. Haven't seen this film myself either.

_________

Cool posters, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! Foreign Correspondent is one of many Hitchcock films I unfortunately haven't seen yet.

Here are some other posters from A Most Dangerous Game.

3147e-the-most-dangerous-game-1932.jpg
    MV5BNzU4MjYxMjI1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjk1NTAwMjE@._V1_.jpg
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 6,682
    Nice one! The framed black and white imagery with the red typography made me think of the Raging Bull movie poster.
    I see what you mean, there's a similarity there.

I like the use of negative space in this one, the diagonal positioning of the elements (faces and everything else), and the fact the word WOMAN lands inside the doorway, right at the top edge (intriguing image, too). Even the facial expressions of the characters have something to them. The title, so simple yet striking. And I love the fact there is no tagline, just the title.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Torgeirtrap Foreign Correspondent is a great war time thriller and a precursor to films like North by Northwest, there are some superb set pieces in the film. Its one of my favourite Hitchcock film's he shows off his genius in this one.
    Let's go to China now with the Little Dragon :

76176.jpg

big-boss-affiche-de-film-58x84-r1978-bruce-lee-lo-wei.jpg

1495023739800099.jpg

Big_Boss.jpg
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,105

@mattjoes Simple but effective poster design, I often think the less cluttered posters are the best. I just quickly put this together...

wFvQTxU.png
    Nice one! The framed black and white imagery with the red typography made me think of the Raging Bull movie poster.
    I see what you mean, there's a similarity there.

I like the use of negative space in this one, the diagonal positioning of the elements (faces and everything else), and the fact the word WOMAN lands inside the doorway, right at the top edge (intriguing image, too). Even the facial expressions of the characters have something to them. The title, so simple yet striking. And I love the fact there is no tagline, just the title.

Indeed, the negative space really works in this poster. I like the simplicity of it too; minimalistic posters aren't always that popular here on the forum, but this is a great example on how good they can be.
    @Torgeirtrap Foreign Correspondent is a great war time thriller and a precursor to films like North by Northwest, there are some superb set pieces in the film. Its one of my favourite Hitchcock film's he shows off his genius in this one.

I love NBNW, so I definitely need to watch Foreign Correspondent!

Those are some cool Bruce Lee/ Big Boss posters, @Gerard! Quite different from each other too. Have you seen the film?

@mattjoes Simple but effective poster design, I often think the less cluttered posters are the best. I just quickly put this together...

wFvQTxU.png

Cool idea, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

wFvQTxU.png

Cool idea, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

With more time I would have whited out the background around DC in the door way and replaced DC bottom left with perhaps Nomi or Paloma.
    Those are some cool Bruce Lee/ Big Boss posters, @Gerard! Quite different from each other too. Have you seen the film?

I've seen everyone of them (including Tower of Death). To continue in that vein, here are a few posters for his second movie, Fist of Fury / The Chinese Connection. Chinese original first :

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsothebys-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fmedia-desk%2Fbf%2F84%2F4508a8d14a618e76769d427f0bd9%2Fl20089-lot166.%20FIST%20OF%20FURY.jpg

French orignal :

fist-of-fury-french-grande-stylea.jpg

Second french original :

La_Fureur_de_vaincre.jpg

German original (I think) :

todesgrc3bcc39feausshanghai.jpg?w=1400
    The artwork used in these posters are great, @Gerard! Interesting to see that the French posters are very modern looking, using stills from the film, and that both of the German posters have an "Ein echter Bruce Lee" ("A real Bruce Lee") badge on them. Wonder why?
    Perhaps because of all those "Brucesploitation" movies that popped up after the death of the Little Dragon, and tried to attract the public by either having Bruce Lee in the title, or casting an actor who ressembled Bruce Lee, and giving him names such as Bruce Li, or Bruce Le, or, as Jackie Chan put it once in a interview, Bruce Table or Bruce Chair. So, it became necessary to show the public that the movie they were going to see was a true Bruce Lee movie, accept no substitute.

As for the first french posters being made with stills from the movie, the first two Bruce Lee were first distributed in France by a small distributor, with no money to put together real posters. At least, that's my understanding of the situation. René Chateau, who distributed first Way of the Dragon before gaining the rights to the other Bruce Lee, had more money, and a very gifted artist to work with.
    I have a couple of framed prints of Bruce Lee in my Gym room a pose from Game of Death and an Enter the Dragon movie poster, I am big fan of Bruce and his philosophies I have many of his books and I have a pair of Bruce's yellow Nunchakus from Game of Death that I train with. I keep meaning to get a print of Bruce and Chuck from Way of the Dragon.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Perhaps because of all those "Brucesploitation" movies that popped up after the death of the Little Dragon, and tried to attract the public by either having Bruce Lee in the title, or casting an actor who ressembled Bruce Lee, and giving him names such as Bruce Li, or Bruce Le, or, as Jackie Chan put it once in a interview, Bruce Table or Bruce Chair. So, it became necessary to show the public that the movie they were going to see was a true Bruce Lee movie, accept no substitute.

Interesting! I was unaware that there was a whole "Bruceploitation" subgenre going on at the time. Obviously, we've seen something similar with Bond too, and some of the Eurospy films (O.K. Connery comes to mind).
    As for the first french posters being made with stills from the movie, the first two Bruce Lee were first distributed in France by a small distributor, with no money to put together real posters. At least, that's my understanding of the situation. René Chateau, who distributed first Way of the Dragon before gaining the rights to the other Bruce Lee, had more money, and a very gifted artist to work with.

That makes sense. The two French posters certainly looks a bit "cheap" compared to the other ones with the painted artwork, but still kinda cool.
    mzl.osizubbn.jpg
    fKhuPqyibYwxiH3855pf985C62T.jpg
    These are very cool.
    The second one is from the Hammer version, with Sir Christopher Lee under the wraps and bandages. And both movies are very good indeed.

Now, back to Bruce Lee, with Way of the Dragon / Return of the Dragon. Here's the chinese original :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlU8qjSfAM90KwXKd5i30jH6KnRDGl-Sopkg&usqp=CAU

The german one :

14781.jpg

And the french one :

Affiche-LA-FUREUR-DU-DRAGON-Return-of-the.jpg
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 1,637
    Got some amazing movie posters on linen recently

https://postimg.cc/qNsJPy2S

Leb 1sh , rare.....these old posters really benefits from backing

(beware rolled glossy 1shs from Hong Kong , virtually all legit HK posters were factory folded , the paper had very little gloss , its vhtf real ones on ebay and the Bruce Lees ive are far from mint shape)

......and forget about 1st issue 1971-73 from HK , super rare. Collected BL for 22 yr (!) now and still dont have one , even lobbys super rare. They had Chinese language ones and Eng language , latter used in Singapore among other countries

mzl.osizubbn.jpg
    fKhuPqyibYwxiH3855pf985C62T.jpg
    These are very cool.
    Very cool indeed! The details on the 1932 poster in particular, are fantastic.

The second one is from the Hammer version, with Sir Christopher Lee under the wraps and bandages. And both movies are very good indeed.

Now, back to Bruce Lee, with Way of the Dragon / Return of the Dragon. Here's the chinese original :
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlU8qjSfAM90KwXKd5i30jH6KnRDGl-Sopkg&usqp=CAU

The german one :
    14781.jpg

And the french one :
    Affiche-LA-FUREUR-DU-DRAGON-Return-of-the.jpg

Are there any information out there who made these posters, @Gerard? I like how different the illustration styles are; the raw, almost sketch like approach on the German one, and the very detailed and life like French one.

Tracy wrote: »
    Got some amazing movie posters on linen recently

https://postimg.cc/qNsJPy2S

How much does posters like these cost you, @Tracy?
    Are there any information out there who made these posters, @Gerard? I like how different the illustration styles are; the raw, almost sketch like approach on the German one, and the very detailed and life like French one.

Well, I saw a catalog of the artist who painted the second french posters on sale, but the store is closed for the holidays and won't reopen till august 21st. Once it does, I'll let you know. But now, let's carry on. Everybody knows that poster, right ?

91WarG1ABdGi2W9pvKWA0ynLroq.jpg

But do you know the chinese one ?

10030199-0e79-4573-8213-78c64e422b6c_1024x1024.jpg?v=1617660764

Well, I saw a catalog of the artist who painted the second french posters on sale, but the store is closed for the holidays and won't reopen till august 21st. Once it does, I'll let you know.

That would be great, thanks!
    [But now, let's carry on. Everybody knows that poster, right ?
    91WarG1ABdGi2W9pvKWA0ynLroq.jpg

But do you know the chinese one ?
    img

Can't remember seeing the Chinese poster before. Really love how simple it is, and how the typography frames the artwork. Makes me think of the fantastic 60's and 70's Japanese Bond posters!
    Let's go back to a time where they put together episodes of a TV series and released them as a movie, with The Green Hornet :

American original (I think) :

Green-Hornet-5262.jpg

Chinese :

81hI3vYfYdL._AC_SY679_.jpg

French :

f94ca7a1-edc9-45ba-86d8-9fcdaa487655.jpg

And German :

the-green-hornet-22170-movieposter.1902.jpg
    I just posted this on another thread, fantastic poster from a great movie.
    pv+poster.jpg
    It depends , from 50$ to several 1000s , the more rare the more costly : OHMSS ita advance 1sh could have paid for 2 vacations but it means more to me than just $ , it has great historical value : only Lazenby movie , art only used in Italy

I gladly pay 150$ for HK/Singapore Bruce Lee posters , well worth it , vhtf
    https://postimg.cc/877BQ01w

R60s GE ita 4sh (2nd issue)