Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Results of round 17:
    Snake in the hotel wins against spider in the hotel: 9 : 7
    Dinner with Dr. No is favoured over Dinner with Scaramanga: 13 : 3
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,402
    Round 18:

As always, you can simply vote without further comment or also explain your decision (which is more interesting).

A) Which senior character do you prefer? Tibbet (AVTAK) vs. Kincade (SF)

B) Which movie poster do you prefer(see below)? AVTAK vs. LALD

53553.jpg?v=1554805484

6fc4570e5971ac79fb9097b5eb610509--jane-seymour-roger-moore.jpg

• peterpeter Toronto
    1/Love both, but i will go with Kincade (could change on a dime-- Tibbet was a highlight of AVTAK (along with Walken and Jones)).
    2/LALD-- just awesome (plus I never likes Roberts left foot in AVTAK poster-- she's ready to slip off. And looking at Rog's stance; he's going to follow her... And his aim is quite off-- Zorin's behind him... (lol). That's an anxiety-inducing poster in every way!!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Tibbet and Kincade are probably equal as far as who I prefer. A real toughie this one.
    I guess I'll go with Sir Godfrey Tibbet as he loses his life in the line of duty. And the by play between he and Bond was a highlight of AVTAK.
    Second match is much easier. LALD.
    The poster for AVTAK is not terrible. Though it is a little boring, as if they've ran out of ideas. The poster for LALD is up there with the very best of the series.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Benny wrote: »
    Tibbet and Kincade are probably equal as far as who I prefer. A real toughie this one.
    I guess I'll go with Sir Godfrey Tibbet as he loses his life in the line of duty. And the by play between he and Bond was a highlight of AVTAK.
    Second match is much easier. LALD.
    The poster for AVTAK is not terrible. Though it is a little boring, as if they've ran out of ideas. The poster for LALD is up there with the very best of the series.

Total agreement dear @Benny!

Though the poster with Bond and MayDay, back to back against the white backdrop, is a treat.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Benny is the boss. What he said.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Definitely Tibbett - the pairing of Roger and Patrick is a dream team of old-skool British character acting, they not only have superb chemistry but you can see they are having an absolute blast working with each other

57fdfc22fc5afd29cf8ecd95302becd4.jpg

I’d also go for LALD although it’s never been one of my favourite posters, Roger feels a bit swamped. However I absolutely adore this advertising poster with May-Day and Bond on the Eiffel Tower, so much I’ve been trying to grab a good quality one to stick on the wall for a while.

AViewToAKill_onesheet_EiffelTowerStyle_USA_DanGoozee-1.jpg

Yes, that's a cool poster @Max_The_Parrot . I thought about a duel between the two AVTAK posters but then decided different. Maybe this would have been the better poll question.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    1. Tibbett
    2. LALD
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, that's a cool poster @Max_The_Parrot . I thought about a duel between the two AVTAK posters but then decided different. Maybe this would have been the better poll question.

The first vs the last Moore poster is fitting enough.
    I like the Tibbett character, just not the way the script handles him, turning him into the butt of cheap jokes and then offing him as the film's obligatory sacrificial lamb. It reminds me of how Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade treated the Marcus character, making fun of him. Patrick Macnee deserved better; who doesn't love the part where he doffs his cap, Steed-like. He and Moore have great rapport, but it's not enough.

Not a huge fan of Kincaid. Suddenly we are introduced to a character from Bond's past who had never been mentioned before, so it's hard to really become attached. At least we'd heard of Hannes Oberhauser even if we don't meet him in SP. However, they don't kill off or maim Kincaid or make fun of him and he's a source of comfort for Bond, so I will go with Kincaid.

LALD poster all the way. When I was young, I used to just stare at LALD and DAF's posters and admire how much was going on and how well they presented the exciting world of 007. The AVTAK poster isn't bad, in fact it may have been the end of the era before the posters began to kind of go downhill. But as others have mentioned, the other posters from the AVTAK campaign were more interesting.

• Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Tibbett
    and
    LALD

Easy picks.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,314
    Sir Godfrey Tibbett without a doubt. I like Kincade, but he sometimes feels inconsequential. Macnee, on the other hand, is a highlight of AVTAK. I understand that also speaks to the quality of both films. I'm always saddened by Tibbett's death and you can really feel Bond's anger. A wonderful (and underrated) moment from Moore in perhaps his most criticized outing.

I'm also going to vote AVTAK for the second round and mostly for nostalgic reasons. It was the first Bond film I saw in the theater as a young lad and I can remember studying every detail of that poster with an enormous amount of excitement and anticipation. It was my rite of passage. It's not a bad poster in its own right either.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Tibbett
    AVTAK
    pachazo wrote: »

I'm also going to vote AVTAK for the second round and mostly for nostalgic reasons. It was the first Bond film I saw in the theater as a young lad and I can remember studying every detail of that poster with an enormous amount of excitement and anticipation. It was my rite of passage. It's not a bad poster in its own right either.

I had the same experience with DAF when I was a small kid, the first film of the series I saw on first release. I stood and stared at that poster with Connery and the two girls on the claw of the moon buggy outside the box office for what seemed like forever and made me a Bond fan.
    It would be fantastic to get a new Bond poster with such a style. The posters from LTK and onwards are much less impressive.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,351
    Tibbett for sure. The chemistry Macnee and Moore had was fantastic. Kincaid is a solid character, middle of the pack for me, but Tibbett is upper tier, one of those allies that is gone to soon (John Glen is a monster to allies)

LALD, my 2nd favorite poster next to MR. I've got my LALD original signed by Yaphet Kotto and Jane Seymour a few years back, and it is proudly displayed in my Bond cave. The boat shooting out of the gator's mouth is inspired.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Tibbet and LALD

Macnee and Moore’s on screen chemistry is warm and watching them play off each other is great.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Tibbet and LALD
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,721
    Tibbet (his chemistry with Moore is fun and his death memorable).
    LALD (my favourite poster of the series along with TLD).
    @MooseWithFleas your Bond cave sounds very interesting.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Tibbett
    LALD
    Just to say that LALD poster is superb. So glad they used it on the soundtrack album.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,402
    I generally try to find pairings where the winner shouldn't be obvious. I didn't succeed this week…

My votes go to the underdogs.

Kincade wins (only narrowly) for me because he has some very funny lines. There is also time for some more emotional scenes with him. It's a very satisfying combination.
    Patrick McNee seems to be a very likeable chap and the chemistry between him an Roger is no doubt a great thing in AVTAK. However, as @BT3366 mentioned, he is most of the time only there to laugh about him and not with him. I can't deny that is is fun to see how he has to carry all that luggage but I still think that Kincade is handled better as character (except for the scene with the torch).
    I like it, that we meet an important ally that late in the movie and left such a positive impression.

I will support AVTAK: LALD is defintely a very good poster and my vote could go either way. I like the different approach of the AVTAK poster: There is only captured one scene from the movie instead of the usual picture "overkill". It is true that it doesn't make sense that Bond is pointing the pistol away from Zorin )as @peter mentioned) but this doesn't boher me. It is an exciting location with the villain, the girl and Bond ready for action. Furthermore, I like the drawing of the bridge, it looks spectacular and realistic at the same time.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Tibbett for me is the much better carved out character AND he is John Steed of the Avengers, for which I love the actor even in the guise of Tibbett.

The LALD poster simply is one of the best Bond posters, if not THE best.

I will support AVTAK: LALD is defintely a very good poster and my vote could go either way. I like the different approach of the AVTAK poster: There is only captured one scene from the movie instead of the usual picture "overkill". It is true that it doesn't make sense that Bond is pointing the pistol away from Zorin )as @peter mentioned) but this doesn't boher me. It is an exciting location with the villain, the girl and Bond ready for action. Furthermore, I like the drawing of the bridge, it looks spectacular and realistic at the same time.

That part about not pointing the gun at Zorin, if you think about it, it wouldn't make sense to have a side profile of Bond shooting toward Zorin and it would be hard to have Zorin portrayed in front of Bond.

I like to think maybe Bond is aiming at Mortner or Scarpine closer to the front of the blimp or is about to turn and fire at Zorin, who didn't have an Uzi with him on the aircraft anyway.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    @MooseWithFleas your Bond cave sounds very interesting.

Thanks! - Though I'm sure many others here have much greater collections and shrines to Bond than myself.

I go mostly for original posters and try to go to conventions to get main actors to sign, my three favorites are MR (Signed by Moore and Kiel), LALD (Kotto/Seymour), and OHMSS (George). Other than that, my other favorite pieces are a signed DC photo from writing him during his production of Betrayal, and Richard Kiel signed Jaws metal teeth replica.
    Tibbett but not by much

LALD by a million miles. One of the best posters of any movie, not just Bond. Even its layout, as a pack of tarot cards, is thematically based on the storyline of the movie.
    BT3366 wrote: »

I like to think maybe Bond is aiming at Mortner or Scarpine closer to the front of the blimp or is about to turn and fire at Zorin, who didn't have an Uzi with him on the aircraft anyway.

Bond can even survive machine gun fire from such a short distance (i.e. in the ski action in TWINE...: in other words: it's fine on the poster but would be (AVTAK) / is (TWINE) ridicilous in the movie.

I go mostly for original posters and try to go to conventions to get main actors to sign, my three favorites are MR (Signed by Moore and Kiel), LALD (Kotto/Seymour), and OHMSS (George). Other than that, my other favorite pieces are a signed DC photo from writing him during his production of Betrayal, and Richard Kiel signed Jaws metal teeth replica.

The signed replica would be awesome. Should be part of every bondfan's living room...my wife probably wouldn't be as excited as I would be
    ;)
    Results of round 18:
    I learned this week that LALD is a fan favourite Bond poster.

Two very easy wins: Tibbett wins against Kincade 16: 3
    LALD poster wins against AVTAK poster: 16 : 3