Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My spelling is generally atrocious

And you still write better than whoever wrote the last few Terminator sequels. ;-)

That's true ;))
    00Agent wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    I
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One would think they'd eventually learn their lesson and go with a respected, visionary director for a more grounded sequel, but alas, that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

The reason they can’t get a big name talent attached to the franchise is because they story ended back in 1991. There hasn’t been any need for a Terminator sequel since John and Sarah put a stop to Judgement Day.

Valid point.

There were two attemptes already to reverse that, with T3 and now DF.

Though i would argue, and I think Cameron would agree, that Skynet really is inevitable, at least in the Terminator universe. We are only at the start of artifficial intelligence taking off, and there is no way that at least half a dozen companies would attempt what Cyberdyne was doing. Google is todays Cyberdyne.

I think T3 did the best job in exploring that by showing that John (and Sarah) were very much aware of that fact and could never find peace again.

But they did it half assedly so many times by now that there is really nothing to explore here anymore. They alreay started Recycling their recycled Material in DF, they should let it rest.
    Cameron stated long before T3 that he had ideas for a third movie set in the future where the machines rule the planet. T4 tried to pick up there, but the film seems to have been to ambitious for either the director´s capability, or the production companies´ accountants´ minds, or the budget, or all of that.

Any thoughts on my ideas
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    I
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One would think they'd eventually learn their lesson and go with a respected, visionary director for a more grounded sequel, but alas, that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

The reason they can’t get a big name talent attached to the franchise is because they story ended back in 1991. There hasn’t been any need for a Terminator sequel since John and Sarah put a stop to Judgement Day.

Valid point.

There were two attemptes already to reverse that, with T3 and now DF.

Though i would argue, and I think Cameron would agree, that Skynet really is inevitable, at least in the Terminator universe. We are only at the start of artifficial intelligence taking off, and there is no way that at least half a dozen companies would attempt what Cyberdyne was doing. Google is todays Cyberdyne.

I think T3 did the best job in exploring that by showing that John (and Sarah) were very much aware of that fact and could never find peace again.

But they did it half assedly so many times by now that there is really nothing to explore here anymore. They alreay started Recycling their recycled Material in DF, they should let it rest.
    Cameron stated long before T3 that he had ideas for a third movie set in the future where the machines rule the planet. T4 tried to pick up there, but the film seems to have been to ambitious for either the director´s capability, or the production companies´ accountants´ minds, or the budget, or all of that.

Yeah, I guess all of that. I had very little confidence in Salvation as soon as McG was announced as director. And the final result was mildly better than my worst expectations.
    It's not a good starting point if your hope relies on the director being able to rise above himself and be 10 times better than anything he had done in the past.
    It can happen, but it's very uncommon.

With Tim Miller we had the luxury that he hadn't done anything in the past, except Deadpool. So there was almost nothing to judge him on. Could have gone in any direction.

Now I will be suprised if i ever see his name attached to a big movie again.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 1,965
    Saw this last night. All I have to say is yikes. The terminator series ended after T2 IMO. They need to stop making them. I liked TG better than this. Are we sure Cameron was involved in this film? Cause it feels like he wasn't involved at all.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Saw this last night. All I have to say is yikes. The terminator series ended after T2 IMO. They need to stop making them. I liked TG better than this. Are we sure Cameron was involved in this film? Cause it feels like he wasn't involved at all.
    Not that I want to defend anything about this film, but based on which recent films does it feel Cameron wasn´t involved at all?

Apert from that, Cameron stated recently that the blood from the creative battles between Miller and himself is still being scrubbed from the walls.

Not that I want to defend anything about this film, but based on which recent films does it feel Cameron wasn´t involved at all?

Apert from that, Cameron stated recently that the blood from the creative battles between Miller and himself is still being scrubbed from the walls.

Dam things most of been really bad during the writing process.

Tim Miller speaks quite openly here:

https://collider.com/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-bomb-tim-miller-james-cameron/

Doesn´t of course completely explain why the film bombed.

https://collider.com/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-bomb-tim-miller-james-cameron/

Lol did he just say that he had creative problems and fights on BOTH films he worked on? Good thinking dude.

What a moron. Sorry but this guy is a hack and he proved it with Terminator Dark Fate. How the hell can you decide to do a Terminator sequel and then come up to James Cameron (who offered to help you out) and tell him to his face 'i don't like your ideas?!' i hope this dumbass never works on a big budget Hollywood film again... Ok that might be harsh, he can do Lesie remakes or other stuff thats not on my radar.

TDF had many good ideas, it could have been a really smart and deep film that could have possibly made a great continuation to T2 but it was absolutely, incompetently handled. A director who has no clue what he's doing and no sensibilities for proper storytelling.
    They focused on the wrong things, like trying to hamfist some female empowerment message in there that nobody asked for. T2 never needed that and got the point across much, much better.

Arnold was the most interesting character and should have been the heart of the film, there was real conceptual depth there and I can see why Cameron was so interested in the idea, but Miller just made a couple shitty jokes at his expense and at the end i barely cared for him. The effects were boring and subpar, almost nothing about this film worked. I didn't even recognized Lindas character if i'm honest.
    Miller should save his little bit of a career that's left and shut the hell up.

...or keep talking and burn it to the ground. Yeah, let's keep him talking.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Lol did he just say that he had creative problems and fights on BOTH films he worked on? Good thinking dude.

What a moron. Sorry but this guy is a hack and he proved it with Terminator Dark Fate. How the hell can you decide to do a Terminator sequel and then come up to James Cameron (who offered to help you out) and tell him to his face 'i don't like your ideas?!' i hope this dumbass never works on a big budget Hollywood film again...

+1
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    They focused on the wrong things, like trying to hamfist some female empowerment message in there that nobody asked for. T2 never needed that and got the point across much, much better.

Arnold was the most interesting character and should have been the heart of the film, there was real conceptual depth there and I can see why Cameron was so interested in the idea, but Miller just made a couple shitty jokes at his expense and at the end i barely cared for him. The effects were boring and subpar, almost nothing about this film worked. I didn't even recognized Lindas character if i'm honest.

Not really sure what film you were watching, imo, because the "female empowerment message" was no more prevalent here than it was in T2 - a film which, if I recall correctly, had Connor talk to Miles Dyson about the unending pursuit of destruction by men while women are the ones who create life. So, you know...

Arnold was the worst thing about Dark Fate and the film went downhill once he showed up. He should never have come back.

Hamilton was excellent, and that was very much Sarah Connor the warrior that we have seen previously.

Not really sure what film you were watching, imo, because the "female empowerment message" was no more prevalent here than it was in T2 - a film which, if I recall correctly, had Connor talk to Miles Dyson about the unending pursuit of destruction by men while women are the ones who create life. So, you know...

Arnold was the worst thing about Dark Fate and the film went downhill once he showed up. He should never have come back.

Hamilton was excellent, and that was very much Sarah Connor the warrior that we have seen previously.

Opinios differ.
    I was always of the opinion that a 'female empowerment message' if such a thing is needed, works way better if you show and don't tell. Therefor T3 does a much better job at it than any other Terminator film, because it's not even trying. It simply shows a female Terminator that is even more powerful than the Arnold one. It's symbolic but has more impact.

As for the clip from T2 you were talking about, it's true but Cameron takes the tension right out of it by having John jump in and say 'Mom!', as if speaking for the whole audience.
    In Dark Fate though, Miller keeps pushing it down our throat, even at the expense of Linda who looks like a misogynist dumbass at some point.

There was one scene in DF that made me loose a bit of apreciation for this Version of Sarah. It's when the mexican girl (don't ask me for her name, forgot it already) jumps out of the helicopter and tries to save Sarah by risking her own life. And next scene Sarah sits there like 'yeah... Cool' relatively indifferent, looking out the window and no one knows what she's thinking about.

Compare that to obsessive paranoid Sarah in T2 who's screaming at John for saving her, or checking him head to toe for Bullet wounds after the helicopter chase.

The girl is not her daughter, sure. But Sarah was known for her intensity and conviction. Here she has barely any left.

Also on a different note, if this has been my film i would have put Sarah Connor front and centre.

We are to believed that this girl is supposed to be the future leader of humanity, just like that, after an apocalypse breaks out? My ass...

EXCEPT if shes trained by Sarah Connor. Thats the only way i could believe it. Even John had to be trained by her to get there, and she had to get to that level herself first. But the film barely even scratches the surface of that, it doesn't even really hint at it. If they had went there this could have been the Sarah Connor trilogy, and I had been willing to let go of John Connor for that. But again... Bad director, what can you do.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 9,767
    I just don’t get why the franchise is well stuck

I wrote out what I would do and was largely ignored but I still say I think it I could pick one element that everything post T2 is missing (except for maybe genesis) ... horror

In t1 the terminator is no different then Jason voorhess or Michael Myers

In T2 the t1000 was similar to that of John carpenters the thing the idea that anyone or anything could be the t1000 in disguise is quite scary

Show me anything in the last 4 films that is close to that level of fear
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This movie didn t run long here. Not much more than a week. I didn t see it, but my son went to the premiere and he says there were hardly anyone attending.
    This movie didn t run long here. Not much more than a week. I didn t see it, but my son went to the premiere and he says there were hardly anyone attending.

At the beginning of November i saw in my local cinema programe that Joker (which was out for more than a month) had 5 screenings a day, and Terminator (which was out for a week or two) had 2 screenings. That made me laugh out loud.
    Joker is still running here, and is scheduled for next week as well.
    Joker is still running here, and is scheduled for next week as well.

I'm not suprised. Joker is still going strong in Vienna as well. Down to 3 screenings a day but more than many new films opening, like Ford vs. Ferrari.

Terminator is long gone though.

@Risico007 i agree with you that Terminator should use horror elements. In the beginning it was more horror than action, and that's what Cameron was really good at back then, like Alien 2 as well. Sci Fi Action Horror.

But i don't see a future for this franchise sadly.
    Maybe someone will come around one day and do something totally obscure like some horror film on a micro budget. But... that's not going to happen for a while.
    I just checked the cinema programme. They have set up some extra screenings of Terminator next week, but it is just one late screening the next four days. I am not seeing it, I have to get up early.
    I just checked the cinema programme. They have set up some extra screenings of Terminator next week, but it is just one late screening the next four days. I am not seeing it, I have to get up early.

I feel those screenings will have a... dark fate.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767

What a moron. Sorry but this guy is a hack and he proved it with Terminator Dark Fate. How the hell can you decide to do a Terminator sequel and then come up to James Cameron (who offered to help you out) and tell him to his face 'i don't like your ideas?!' i hope this dumbass never works on a big budget Hollywood film again... Ok that might be harsh, he can do Lesie remakes or other stuff thats not on my radar.

TDF had many good ideas, it could have been a really smart and deep film that could have possibly made a great continuation to T2 but it was absolutely, incompetently handled. A director who has no clue what he's doing and no sensibilities for proper storytelling.

Remind me again, what interesting character elaboration or development did Cameron present since his co-writing Strange Days in 1995?

Risico007 wrote: »
    I just don’t get why the franchise is well stuck

I wrote out what I would do and was largely ignored but I still say I think it I could pick one element that everything post T2 is missing (except for maybe genesis) ... horror

In t1 the terminator is no different then Jason voorhess or Michael Myers

In T2 the t1000 was similar to that of John carpenters the thing the idea that anyone or anything could be the t1000 in disguise is quite scary

Show me anything in the last 4 films that is close to that level of fear
    That´s quite a good point.

At the beginning of November i saw in my local cinema programe that Joker (which was out for more than a month) had 5 screenings a day, and Terminator (which was out for a week or two) had 2 screenings. That made me laugh out loud.
    Man, you really seem angry. It´s not the first time a sequel to a successful film sucked and bombed. Be happy and watch some good film.

Remind me again, what interesting character elaboration or development did Cameron present since his co-writing Strange Days in 1995?

What does that have to do with anything? Am i praising today's Cameron?
    I said in previous posts on the last pages that i am not sure Cameron could pull off a film like Terminator today. Maybe he has lost it. How would i know?

He has only done 2 films since 1995 and both are on his own account "chick flicks" and i haven't watched a single one of them from start to finish. But he has made enough money with those that he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone anymore.

There is no denying though that 80's/early 90's Cameron was one of the greats. And T2 is a masterpiece that is only rising in my estimation. I could watch it any day and it would feel like it came out only yesterday.

And because of that i am willing to believe that Cameron has a much better grasp of this universe and it's characters than Miller ever could. He should have listened to the original creator.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I haven't seen Titanic either. I thought it wasn't for me but through some recent partial viewings I'm kind of warming up to it. I might enjoy it. More than Avatar, even.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767

I said in previous posts on the last pages that i am not sure Cameron could pull off a film like Terminator today. Maybe he has lost it. How would i know?

He has only done 2 films since 1995 and both are on his own account "chick flicks" and i haven't watched a single one of them from start to finish. But he has made enough money with those that he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone anymore.

There is no denying though that 80's/early 90's Cameron was one of the greats. And T2 is a masterpiece that is only rising in my estimation. I could watch it any day and it would feel like it came out only yesterday.

And because of that i am willing to believe that Cameron has a much better grasp of this universe and it's characters than Miller ever could. He should have listened to the original creator.
    Ah, I see. I guess I too could watch T2 most days. Logic tells me that if a director has a clear vision for a sequel, it can still work, even if he alters the characters, as long as the film works on its own. But my gut tells me a different story. Based on what Cameron did and said in the last ten years, I think the only difference it makes wether a director listens to him or not is the amount of fighting during filmmaking. I doubt that it has much impact on the quality of the films one way or another.

• BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Couldn't be bothered to go and see this.

Yea. My local AMC theater only had 2 showings of the movie on Friday.

Ah, I see. I guess I too could watch T2 most days. Logic tells me that if a director has a clear vision for a sequel, it can still work, even if he alters the characters, as long as the film works on its own. But my gut tells me a different story. Based on what Cameron did and said in the last ten years, I think the only difference it makes wether a director listens to him or not is the amount of fighting during filmmaking. I doubt that it has much impact on the quality of the films one way or another.

I know people hate him, but i am pretty indifferent. You can be a huge asshole and still a great artist. These two things are not mutualy exclusive. Sometimes they even benefit each other. Cameron reminds me a bit of Steve Jobs for example..

With that being said, at the end of the day i'm just a tiny insignificant Terminator fan over here, and i just want a damn good movie. And the studios aren't giving me that.

They bullshitted us with Camerons involvement, but hired Miller before Cameron came on bord, and without checking if the two would work out togehter.

So i can not 100% say that Cameron could not pull off a good Terminator film either. I think he had some very smart ideas for this film, but they did not materialize among 6 scriptwriters and a director who was not on the same page with him at all, and that's annoying.

I've read the script leaks month ago, i was totally invested in the idea of Arnolds characterization. I was really excited for that and looking forward to it. You could have done so many crazy things with it. Just imagine, are all of Skynets killing machines, that are coming off of the assembly line, capable of becoming self aware? Are they then able to emphazise with humans?? How f**** crazy is that?! What does that mean for Skynet itself? Does it have emotions? It's created in our image after all. And how could that affect the future war?
    Any possibility of both parties co-existing in piece together eventually? Crazy shit...

I felt there was so much philosophical depth there to explore for a whole film... and what did they do with it? They made him do drapes....

F*** them all :))

This movie was conceptualy and emotionally as deep as a puddle... and T2 was not.

That is because DF was handled by a director who had NO experience with such material and he should have known his place (He had no experience period). End of story.

But i will not waste anymore breath on this franchise. I can always go and rewatch T2, and that's that.

**Sorry for these long posts, and cudos if you're still reading, but i feel like i said everything i had to say about this. Had to let off some steam.

I know people hate him, but i am pretty indifferent. You can be a huge asshole and still a great artist. These two things are not mutualy exclusive. Sometimes they even benefit each other. Cameron reminds me a bit of Steve Jobs for example..
    I don´t think I know Cameron well enough personally to have any personal feelings towards him. But IMO he didn´t show that much artistry since the mid 90s.

I've read the script leaks month ago, i was totally invested in the idea of Arnolds characterization. I was really excited for that and looking forward to it. You could have done so many crazy things with it. Just imagine, are all of Skynets killing machines, that are coming off of the assembly line, capable of becoming self aware? Are they then able to emphazise with humans?? How f**** crazy is that?! What does that mean for Skynet itself? Does it have emotions? It's created in our image after all. And how could that affect the future war?
    Any possibility of both parties co-existing in piece together eventually? Crazy shit...
    @00Agent, I absolutely agree that those ideas are highly thrilling and that it´s a crime not to bring them onto the screen. However I have a much more urgent problem with DF. I was bored and felt emotionally detached. So it wouldn´t have helped me if there were more deep ideas in the film, because the film didn´t capture my attention in the first place.

I don´t think I know Cameron well enough personally to have any personal feelings towards him. But IMO he didn´t show that much artistry since the mid 90s.

@00Agent, I absolutely agree that those ideas are highly thrilling and that it´s a crime not to bring them onto the screen. However I have a much more urgent problem with DF. I was bored and felt emotionally detached. So it wouldn´t have helped me if there were more deep ideas in the film, because the film didn´t capture my attention in the first place.

Same here. And I would mainly blame the director for it. He paced the film way to fast, made the action look fake (like in Deadpool but it worked better there because 'superheroes') and had very little to almost no character moments or meaningful exchanges. He didn't give this film room to breathe. And why the hell do we need 3 protectors?

Cameron did not do an admirable job of selling this film either,and I would be sceptical of any new Terminator film even with his involvement.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    After seeing this I went ahead and watched the previous sequels again for the first time in years.

I still think Dark Fate is the best of the worst (ie. anything after T2), but I have to say I enjoyed Genisys a lot more than I remembered from a few years ago. I actually like the initial premise of it. The whole altering the timeline thing a la Back to the Future: Part 2 is fun and had a lot of potential. It's a refreshing variant on the usual "one good Terminator and one bad Terminator" approach. Arnold is excellent as usual and Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney (who I usually find extremely wooden) do well enough with their material.

It really only falls apart after they decide to weave in Kyle's backstory and have them go to 2017 instead of 1997. Had they continued to explore the idea of going back into the previous movies and messing with the timeline or seeing events from different perspectives then I think the film would have been far more interesting.

Salvation is still the worst of the sequels to my mind. What a dull, uninspired film. I mean, it's nice they finally set one during the future war but what a chore to sit through.

T3 is a lot of fun, but that's it. It's basically a lesser T2 that fits more into the generic summer blockbuster now occupied by stuff like Fast & Furious. Fun movies, but not exactly groundbreaking.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    So, the sequels have been cancelled and DF's director won't work with Cameron again...

:-?