No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How would a writer even just polish only one character's dialogue in a scene between two people, for example? You have to write the conversation. It's kind of plainly nonsensical and a bit sexist. As Craig himself said, it's not about her gender but about her being a fantastic writer.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    mtm wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters. Which makes sense. She didn't have any say in the story and/or (hopefully) Bonds characterization and dialogue.
    Where did you understand that from? Sounds incredibly unlikely and like a load of those nonsense rumours and angry stuff going around from men when her participation was announced.

Not 100% sure what the hell you are talking about, but let me assume you are talking about this:

"Now, Waller-Bridge has shared an insight into how she'll shape the female characters in the next film. "It's really exciting. The film they've got is such an exciting story. It's just been a joy to work on," she said during an appearance on The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast. Asked whether she'll add a feminist take to the script, she replied: "Well, we'll see, we'll see what I can sneak in. But it's mainly about making them feel like real people, you know? Which they do in the previous films."

Waller-Bridge continued: "I think Daniel's films have had really fantastic Bond girls, so it's just keeping it up."

There are a ton of articles saying that she was "all over the script" and whatever, but those are usually think pieces in tabloids, with next to no quotes, so i opted for an actual interview. Well, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want :) (yippeee)

________________________________________________________________________________
    *)https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/phoebe-waller-bridge-james-bond-script-twitter

I'm not sure how you extrapolated that into her 'only polishing the female dialogue'. She doesn't say that at all in your quote, nor does she say it in the actual podcast.
    This is how dodgy rumours start, people misinterpreting things.

Well, as I said, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want right? :)

I don't pretend to know ANYTHING, I just go by interviews and quotes from people behind the scenes (and I would rather slash my wrists than ever quote a tabloid)
    And celebrities make stuff up half the time anyway because they know that they are under a microscope 24/7.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that we are both excited for the film, are we not? We just go about it with different perspectives.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,861
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters. Which makes sense. She didn't have any say in the story and/or (hopefully) Bonds characterization and dialogue.
    Where did you understand that from? Sounds incredibly unlikely and like a load of those nonsense rumours and angry stuff going around from men when her participation was announced.

Not 100% sure what the hell you are talking about, but let me assume you are talking about this:

"Now, Waller-Bridge has shared an insight into how she'll shape the female characters in the next film. "It's really exciting. The film they've got is such an exciting story. It's just been a joy to work on," she said during an appearance on The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast. Asked whether she'll add a feminist take to the script, she replied: "Well, we'll see, we'll see what I can sneak in. But it's mainly about making them feel like real people, you know? Which they do in the previous films."

Waller-Bridge continued: "I think Daniel's films have had really fantastic Bond girls, so it's just keeping it up."

There are a ton of articles saying that she was "all over the script" and whatever, but those are usually think pieces in tabloids, with next to no quotes, so i opted for an actual interview. Well, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want :) (yippeee)

________________________________________________________________________________
    *)https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/phoebe-waller-bridge-james-bond-script-twitter

I'm not sure how you extrapolated that into her 'only polishing the female dialogue'. She doesn't say that at all in your quote, nor does she say it in the actual podcast.

Well, as I said, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want right? :)

That doesn't mean you should just make stuff up. You can't just tell a lie and say 'it's the internet' as if that's an excuse. It's not your opinion that she said that: it's a fact that she didn't.
    At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that we are both excited for the film, are we not? We just go about it with different perspectives.

Not really, it's about telling the truth and not inventing stuff. I'm looking forward to the film, so I don't like folks lying about it.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    We do try to keep threads on topic as much as possible, but it becomes difficult due to the secrecy surrounding this particular movie. Members veer off course, and sometimes its like pushing water uphill. There simply isn't much NTTD news to talk about
    Not having news to talk about is one thing. But the thread can still be used to turn frustration into creativity and fun, instead of throwing up one´s frustration into the discussions. Especially since the frustration basically is only triggered and not caused by the situation of the film.

Well, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want :) (yippeee)
    Since when is free will to believe whatever you want limited to any type of media?

Getafix wrote: »
    Need to bear in mind the screenplay and story is very much P&W and CJF's work. PWB has worked on the dialogue.

So even if NTTD sucked it would not be fair to blame PWB.

I think she's more than earnt the chance to pen an original movie screenplay on her own. She's clearly infinitely more talented than P&W who are over promoted, talentless hacks.
    If she was not to blame if it sucked, why would she be to praise if it turns out great? I don´t get the logic here.

I understand Craig´s logic when he says, "she´s a bloody good writer". But basically it´s not possible to reverse-engineer which writer actually wrote exactly which line, so any statement about this or that writer being brilliant or a hack must be based on gut feeling, assumption and/or wishful thinking, as soon as we are talking about big productions on which it is common to have a number of writers.

Well I mean she came quite late to the project and the basic story is not hers, so she has worked on the dialogue of someone else's screenplay. If the film is no good it would be silly to blame her for the overall failure. That responsibility would lie more with P&W and CJF. However if there is some witty and entertaining dialogue I think we can be fairly certain that its thanks to her as P&W have never written a single decent line of dialogue.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

That doesn't mean you should just make stuff up. You can't just tell a lie and say 'it's the internet' as if that's an excuse. It's not your opinion that she said that: it's a fact that she didn't.

Not really, it's about telling the truth and not inventing stuff. I'm looking forward to the film, so I don't like folks lying about it.

Lol what? There is no truth here, we are talking about internet rumor and quotes, that are constantly taken out of context and reinterpreted... ah whatever i'm already bored by this. I'll see that i do something productive with my day today.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767
    @Getafix, but doesn´t it all depend on how well things come together? A lame story can be turned into great entertainment if on every corner there is a witty line. But a great story can also be ruined if the dialogue goes into an unfitting direction. Or the story can be great and the dialogue so-so and not have a big impact for better or worse at all.
    I´m neither a fan nor a hater of P&W. Aside DAD they never got hired to write an entire script on their own. They got hired to lay down a fundament for other writers to expand on, or to expand on an existing draft. Justified or not, in none of these cases they were charged with writing a script on their own. So how can anyone possibly claim to know who wrote exactly what? Maybe the first writer has one funny idea the producers like, so they tell the second writer to use that kind of funniness more often. Maybe the sceond writer wouldn´t have thought at all of that funny stuff if he/she hadn´t gotten the instruction, but once he/she understands it, he/she produces more of it successfully. So who is to be credited for the film being funny?
    Doesn´t have to be funniness, can be any element.

I think it is rather safe to say that lines in NTTD that sound like they´re from projects PWB allegedly wrote on her own are written by her.
  • 00Agent wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters.

Nope... Baz, a very reliable source, said that PWB was able to "somehow make sense of it", speaking about the genetic warfare complicated plot. So no, she wasn't hired just to polish female characters. She made an overall polishing work throughout the whole script.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7088533/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-James-Bond-25-007-embroiled-genetic-warfare.html

This BAZ guy is a tabloid journalist right? He never interviewed her personally right?
    Sorry, but i am not buying anything he says, even if he's proven right on occasion.
    That's just my personal choice. His words are baseless until proven otherwise (not by him). Also Naomi Harris said a couple weeks ago that phoebes contribution wasn't that big. (Now i have to look for that damn video again, thanks.)

I am sure we'll find out more as soon as the press tour starts.

You're evidently wrong. Use Google and find his interview from Jamaica and the fact he was even given a 'shout-out' of sorts at the SF press conference. Honestly, so many comments in this thread could easily be deleted if people did their research before commenting.

What’s most curious about the article is that Barbara Broccoli was so pivotal in casting……

It sounds to me that they were interested in Ana De Armas for the Madeleine Swann role. I guess her lack of English at the time and generally her more ‘glamourous’ look precluded her from getting the role. This was how De Armas looked in 2015 – she was also v young:

Knock+Knock+Premiere+2015+Sundance+Film+Festival+SDCGGzRZg3Ul.jpg

Of course, since then De Armas made Blade Runner and Knives Out. She’s a legit star in the making. So a savvy move of Eon’s to grab her again.

Also, how did we miss that Lynch starred in a play produced by Broccoli?!? I suppose that after Lupita passed, she became the natural substitute. Something tells me that Lynch just has that little more ‘edge’ than Lupita. A little less precious.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,861

Lol what? There is no truth here, we are talking about internet rumor and quotes, that are constantly taken out of context and reinterpreted... ah whatever i'm already bored by this. I'll see that i do something productive with my day today.

We're only talking about rumours because you're starting them. It's not a matter of opinion that she's 'working on only the female dialogue': you've made that up. It's a fake fact. This bizarre defence that 'it's the internet and what everyone else does'... how is that an excuse for making things up?
    You can think she's rubbish, you can think she's great: these are matters of opinion. What she's actually doing on it isn't a matter of opinion though, even if we're unlikely to ever find out exactly how much she's brought to it. Do you understand the difference? Why not just say you were mistaken to think she's only doing the female dialogue? You do understand that there's no reason to think that at all?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters.

Nope... Baz, a very reliable source, said that PWB was able to "somehow make sense of it", speaking about the genetic warfare complicated plot. So no, she wasn't hired just to polish female characters. She made an overall polishing work throughout the whole script.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7088533/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-James-Bond-25-007-embroiled-genetic-warfare.html

This BAZ guy is a tabloid journalist right? He never interviewed her personally right?
    Sorry, but i am not buying anything he says, even if he's proven right on occasion.
    That's just my personal choice. His words are baseless until proven otherwise (not by him). Also Naomi Harris said a couple weeks ago that phoebes contribution wasn't that big. (Now i have to look for that damn video again, thanks.)

You're evidently wrong. Use Google and find his interview from Jamaica and the fact he was even given a 'shout-out' of sorts at the SF press conference. Honestly, so many comments in this thread could easily be deleted if people did their research before commenting.

What’s most curious about the article is that Barbara Broccoli was so pivotal in casting……
    Is that surprising? She is the producer after all.

I find Craig's role more surprising. PWB talks about how she went in to meet "Daniel and Barbara" about the job; presumably he'll get another exec producer role on this? I think it's great he's so invested in it.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425
    @Getafix, but doesn´t it all depend on how well things come together? A lame story can be turned into great entertainment if on every corner there is a witty line. But a great story can also be ruined if the dialogue goes into an unfitting direction. Or the story can be great and the dialogue so-so and not have a big impact for better or worse at all.
    I´m neither a fan nor a hater of P&W. Aside DAD they never got hired to write an entire script on their own. They got hired to lay down a fundament for other writers to expand on, or to expand on an existing draft. Justified or not, in none of these cases they were charged with writing a script on their own. So how can anyone possibly claim to know who wrote exactly what? Maybe the first writer has one funny idea the producers like, so they tell the second writer to use that kind of funniness more often. Maybe the sceond writer wouldn´t have thought at all of that funny stuff if he/she hadn´t gotten the instruction, but once he/she understands it, he/she produces more of it successfully. So who is to be credited for the film being funny?
    Doesn´t have to be funniness, can be any element.

I think it is rather safe to say that lines in NTTD that sound like they´re from projects PWB allegedly wrote on her own are written by her.

Fair points. You are probably right about most of this. But I still think if it turns out to be witty/funny we can be fairly sure thats thanks to PWB and not P&W.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,834
    Denbigh wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I think a lot of you have majorly misunderstood what she was trying to say...

PS Don’t know if anyone share it but here’s the full video...

@Denbigh what was she trying to say?
    Well @007Blofeld, she's obviously joking and not being literal, and it seems obvious to me that she's just trying to say (in whatever way she wants) that they were making conscious decisions to make the female characters more down to earth and more realistic? I could be wrong about the latter, but I think I hit the nail on the head more than the people who think she actually wanted a scene like that in the film...

On a separate note what's happening to this site? It used to be fans and interesting discussions, now it's seemingly without logic and just a place people can make rash and weirdly insulting comments to either a member or the franchise itself?
    I guess one element is a natural development. Those who are interested in intelligent and entertaining discussions tend to have a life outside the internet to which they are naturally drifting when a discussion thread becomes less interesting due to lots of trash being unloaded in a discussion thread. And some individuals have difficulty managing their life outside the internet and use the internet to uninhibitedly discharge their frustration, which basically is a frustration with themselves.

One thing that IMO makes the most sense in these cases is trying to formulate clear sentences that leave as little room as possible for multiple interpretations. Otherwise people will start to interpret posts as all kinds of things. Also because many people don´t actually read posts properly.
    No Time to Die Is Most Expensive James Bond Movie Ever Made
    https://movieweb.com/no-time-to-die-james-bond-most-expensive/
    Huh? Doesn't Spectre's budget actually range between ‎$245 and 300 million, which would mean juries still out on which film has the highest budget, although my guess is Spectre.
    See? In the same post you first write about the expenses of the film as a if it were a fact, and then you question that very statement. This is not trying to make oneself as clear as possible, it will confuse the confused further, and they will thus post more confused things.
    Well that’s kinda insulting to most people here. You’re basically saying that a lot of people here don’t have a life, and that’s why the page has ended up how it has, which is a strange comment to make, considering a lot of people outside of this site would say that about all of us visiting and participating on here.

As for interpretation, people will read what they want to read, and yes may misunderstand your comment, but at the end of the day it’s not my job to make sure someone doesn’t get confused. For example, I don’t see the problem with my post about the film’s budget... most of people would understand the discussion I’m trying to introduce. I’ve posted the title to the article, a link to the article, and a question to support why I’ve even posted it in the first place. Also, what are you trying to say? That it’s not the insulting posts and trolling members that are ruining the site, but the people who “need to reinterpret their posts as to not confuse people”, when a lot of the time the post makes sense, and it’s just the silly comments and harsh opinions that mess it all up. Again, it’s not my job to make sure someone reads the post properly, and if they don’t, then whatever confused debate follows is on them.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Jesus Christ. I think a lot of you have majorly misunderstood what she was trying to say...

Well @007Blofeld, she's obviously joking and not being literal, and it seems obvious to me that she's just trying to say (in whatever way she wants) that they were making conscious decisions to make the female characters more down to earth and more realistic? I could be wrong about the latter, but I think I hit the nail on the head more than the people who think she actually wanted a scene like that in the film...

On a separate note what's happening to this site? It used to be fans and interesting discussions, now it's seemingly without logic and just a place people can make rash and weirdly insulting comments to either a member or the franchise itself?
    I guess one element is a natural development. Those who are interested in intelligent and entertaining discussions tend to have a life outside the internet to which they are naturally drifting when a discussion thread becomes less interesting due to lots of trash being unloaded in a discussion thread. And some individuals have difficulty managing their life outside the internet and use the internet to uninhibitedly discharge their frustration, which basically is a frustration with themselves.

One thing that IMO makes the most sense in these cases is trying to formulate clear sentences that leave as little room as possible for multiple interpretations. Otherwise people will start to interpret posts as all kinds of things. Also because many people don´t actually read posts properly.
    Huh? Doesn't Spectre's budget actually range between ‎$245 and 300 million, which would mean juries still out on which film has the highest budget, although my guess is Spectre.
    See? In the same post you first write about the expenses of the film as a if it were a fact, and then you question that very statement. This is not trying to make oneself as clear as possible, it will confuse the confused further, and they will thus post more confused things.
    Well that’s kinda insulting to most people here. You’re basically saying that a lot of people here don’t have a life, and that’s why the page has ended up how it has, which is a strange comment to make, considering a lot of people outside of this site would say that about all of us visiting and participating on here.

As for interpretation, people will read what they want to read, and yes may misunderstand your comment, but at the end of the day it’s not my job to make sure someone doesn’t get confused. For example, I don’t see the problem with my post about the film’s budget... most of people would understand the discussion I’m trying to introduce. I’ve posted the title to the article, a link to the article, and a question to support why I’ve even posted it in the first place. Also, what are you trying to say? That it’s not the insulting posts and trolling members that are ruining the site, but the people who “need to reinterpret their posts as to not confuse people”, when a lot of the time the post makes sense, and it’s just the silly comments and harsh opinions that mess it all up. Again, it’s not my job to make sure someone reads the post properly, and if they don’t, then whatever confused debate follows is on them.

Such a cold finger...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,009

It's pretty clear that he just bolded the headline. They're not his words. ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,834
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Such a cold finger...
    eSOrjob.gif?noredirect

...and thanks for the clarification @CraigMooreOHMSS :)
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Such a cold finger...
    eSOrjob.gif?noredirect

...and thanks for the clarification @CraigMooreOHMSS :)

Anytime.
    Honestly, so many comments in this thread could easily be deleted if people did their research before commenting.
    I understand your distress, @Pierce2Daniel, but none of is exempt from failure and mistakes. You´ve done incomplete research yourself in the past, as have I or most others.
    I suggest that if we know someone made an error, we just correct the information and don´t make a fuss about it. Otherwise it´s oil in the flames.

We could probably waste hours now claiming,"yes it is", "no it isn´t"....
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,548
    How would a writer even just polish only one character's dialogue in a scene between two people, for example? You have to write the conversation. It's kind of plainly nonsensical and a bit sexist. As Craig himself said, it's not about her gender but about her being a fantastic writer.

I believe John Milius did this (with a little improv from Robert Shaw) for the dinner boat scene in Jaws.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    Honestly, so many comments in this thread could easily be deleted if people did their research before commenting.
    I understand your distress, @Pierce2Daniel, but none of is exempt from failure and mistakes. You´ve done incomplete research yourself in the past, as have I or most others.
    I suggest that if we know someone made an error, we just correct the information and don´t make a fuss about it. Otherwise it´s oil in the flames.

Excuse me? I'm incapable of inaccurate research.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,009

Or per the sentiment of your previous post, you could acknowledge it as a simple mistake, and we can move on. It was pretty clear to me what it was. I completely agree with what you said previously, but you just chose a poor example to back it up in this case. No big deal.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,630

Baz is someone who's become a rather reliable journalist when it comes to Bond. I believe it was he who first revealed that Naomie Harris would be casted in Skyfall and that she would be playing Moneypenny, for example.

EDIT: As well as Ralph Fiennes's casting and Berenice Marlohe & Ben Whishaw's casting. Anyways, he's very reliable.

That's 100% right. If you change or even tweak the dialogue for one character in a scene, then, in most cases, the other characters' dialogue has to be altered to reflect that change, whether it's a conversation, banter, or a verbal attack etc. So, as she was tasked with sprucing up the dialogue and, in doing so, the characters, it is very likely PWB contributed her unique voice to a high percentage of the screenplay. From what she has said, the structure/plot etc. was already solid, so it seems she had less impact on that, but by working into those all important character scenes, she would have had some impact on the plotting.

• Baz revealed the following:
    • Naomie Harris is Moneypenny
    • Berenice Marlohe and Helen McCrory had been cast
    • Albert Finney was cast
    • Lea Seydoux was cast
    • Christoph Waltz had been cast

So…..when he says that NTTD involved genetic warfare, then NTTD involves genetic warfare.

Like I said, on this device you are using there is a thing called Google. Why are people questioning him without first having done this is beyond me.

• edited November 2019 Posts: 30
    Contraband wrote: »
    Trailer soon?

Folks on my twitter have a theory. Official 007 dropped the unusual mini-edit ft. Spectre footage on the 2nd. Today they dropped Skyfall, five days after. That could mean QoS on Monday 11th, and CR on Saturday 16th which leads up to a trailer five days later, Thursday 21th

Hi,
    I can assure you I got my trailer news from a reliable source with knowledge of the PR schedule for NTTD (otherwise I would not have posted it); the PR plan has the "first international trailer" scheduled for the beginning of December. Of course UPI/EON could easily change their plans and drop it earlier too, but currently it's the best info we can get.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Trailer soon?

Folks on my twitter have a theory. Official 007 dropped the unusual mini-edit ft. Spectre footage on the 2nd. Today they dropped Skyfall, five days after. That could mean QoS on Monday 11th, and CR on Saturday 16th which leads up to a trailer five days later, Thursday 21th

Hi,
    I can assure you I got my trailer news from a reliable source with knowledge of the PR schedule for NTDD (otherwise I would not have posted it); the PR plan has the "first international trailer" scheduled for the beginning of December. Of course UPI/EON could easily change their plans and drop it earlier too, but currently it's the best info we can get.

@JamesBondde any date specifically?
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited November 2019 Posts: 467
    Baz revealed the following:
    • Naomie Harris is Moneypenny
    • Berenice Marlohe and Helen McCrory had been cast
    • Albert Finney was cast
    • Lea Seydoux was cast
    • Christoph Waltz had been cast

So…..when he says that NTTD involved genetic warfare, then NTTD involves genetic warfare.

Like I said, on this device you are using there is a thing called Google. Why are people questioning him without first having done this is beyond me.

This was all in 2012. For NTTD:
    • 7 years have passed
    • He didn't have as much info on Spectre or on Bond 25 at the same stage of production
    • His sources at EON or MGM (which were mostly about casting) may have changed and may not provide him with as many details
    • His relationship with EON may not be as solid as before
    Etc.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

As per the author of the THR piece.

Or per the sentiment of your previous post, you could acknowledge it as a simple mistake, and we can move on. It was pretty clear to me what it was. I completely agree with what you said previously, but you just chose a poor example to back it up in this case. No big deal.
    I can hardly acknowledge it as a mistake on my side if it seemed obvious to me that the line in bold was the poster's opinion. And I don't believe by any means I was the only one with this interpretation.

@Denbigh, I didn't mean necessarily responibility, I just uttered an idea, a possibility what we can do to make/keep this place a happy place.
    I stand by my opinion that people who behave in a toxic way toward other people they don't know at all in person, but just from the internet, have trouble managing their lives. There is no justifiable reason to act uncivil towards others on the internet over a discussion of a film.

I can hardly acknowledge it as a mistake on my side if it seemed obvious to me that the line in bold was the poster's opinion. And I don't believe by any means I was the only one with this interpretation.

Okay, dude. If you say so.

• tqbtqb
    Hi,
    I can assure you I got my trailer news from a reliable source with knowledge of the PR schedule for NTDD (otherwise I would not have posted it); the PR plan has the "first international trailer" scheduled for the beginning of December. Of course UPI/EON could easily change their plans and drop it earlier too, but currently it's the best info we can get.

A teaser or theatrical trailer?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,164
    tqb wrote: »
    Hi,

A teaser or theatrical trailer?

I think we can only speculate for now, besides - the label teaser trailer has become synonymous with first trailer anyway, even if it is more substantial... But pretty sure it'll essentially be a more substantial theatrical trailer, as opposed to a more cryptic teaser.