No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Obanno wrote: »
    First time poster but a looooong time lurker.

My thoughts on NTTD:

Lashana sounds like she'll have a big part to play in the story. I also suspect Bond will not bed anyone other than Madeleine. Ana de Armas will have a brief cameo role where Bond just uses her to get information (in the same vein as Solange) or acts as a fellow agent (like Manuela in MR). I do not think this needs overthinking at all.

I'm more curious about Lashana's role. Did P&W go back to their Jinx script, re-invent the character as a British agent and incorporate her and her story in this Bond movie? I suspect they did.

I really do not know what kind of movie we are going to get because so many factors have yet to be explored (i.e. Felix, the villain, the scooby gang, Blofeld) and i'm curious to know how they'll fit all this into one movie! I'm a big fan of CJF and from what i've seen of his work so far, he knows how to tell a story and develop characters. He knows how to build and shoot tension as well, as evidenced here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TSRHc2-S0Rw

I can't recall a single edge-of -your-seat moment in QoS all the way to SP. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL Bond movies but Mendes and Forster just lack the wit and panache in their personality, directing style and storytelling (Mendes captures it in the PTS in SP but only until the building blows up, then we are back to generic action and story). CJF, although reserved as a person, certainly has the flair, style and flexibility that'll lend itself to the Bond universe. The trailer will go some way in telling us whether Bond has the twinkle in his eye back, I suspect he will and Craig will get the send off he deserves.

Welcome @Obanno .
    Feel free to tell us a little about yourself here
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/13/new-members-introduce-yourself#latest
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Mallory wrote: »

In that picture i can see how soundtrack can going to look like.

No-Time-To-Die-Book-Cover_1200_1069_81_s.jpg
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited November 2019 Posts: 467
    It's interesting that so many people make PWB entirely responsible for the quality of the script, while there are four other credited writers, including Scott Z. Burns, who's never commanded such a level of scrutiny. We don't even know is her contributions are extremely distinctive or integrated seamlessly into a joint work. It's as if people were in a panic because a woman was allowed for the first time in decades to be a credited screenwriter or that PWB should be praised because she embodies modernity and diversity.

Remember the first Ant Man movie, the one that Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Baby Driver) was supposed to direct before he left due to "creative differences". Peyton Reed took over, and the script went through several revisions by Adam McKay (The Big Short, Vice), star Paul Rudd and Reed. Early reviews regarded the film as quite formulaic, but a few of them praised the wandering explanations provided by Luis (Michael Peña) that were typically the visual kind of humor that Wright makes so distinctive. Except they were not. They were a Reed addition.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    On a different issue, it would be interesting to see if Fukunaga regards this film as his "Spartacus".

If you know the story, the 1960 film was produced by Kirk Douglas and involved an all-stars cast (Douglas, Tony Curtis, Laurence Olivier, Peter Ustinov, Charles Laughton, Jean Simmons, etc.) Douglas initially signed Anthony Mann (Man of the West, The Heroes of Telemark) as the director, but fired him after a few weeks, because Douglas felt that his authority was threatened by Mann.
    As a result, Douglas called... Stanley Kubrick, because Kubrick owed him at least one film due to the deal signed around Paths of Glory. Douglas assumed that Kubrick, who was then quite young (he was 30 or 31) and had never worked of a production of such a scale, would be easier to manipulate. Kubrick accepted, as a few projects he had developed had fallen through (Marlon Brando had decided to direct One-Eyed Jacks on his own). Production actually resumed with a new director after the weekend IIRC.
    Sure, the relationship between Kubrick and Douglas was notoriously difficult (and Kubrick basically fired the DoP after a few days to handle the duties on his own), but in the end Kubrick delivered the blockbuster on budget and on schedule at a time other studios had big issues with epics, especially swords and sandals. Compare this to Cleopatra to see what I mean.
    It turned out to be Kubrick's ticket to the "Big League", which he later used to secure fundings for Lolita and Dr. Strangelove, which were much more personal projects to him. Kubrick later took Spartacus out of his filmography, as it was the film on which he didn't have full control.

The parallels with Fukunaga are interesting, as Fukunaga, like a lot of directors, reveres Stanley Kubrick and is even supposed to handle a miniseries version of the script Kubrick had written on Napoléon. (Kubrick also crossed paths with EON a couple of times, as he worked with some of the same people, and even helped Ken Adam to light the huge supertanker set from TSWLM that had overwhelmed Claude Renoir. And it was one of his daughters, who worked at the art department for EON, who designed Jaws' metal teeth.)
    Fukunaga had a few projects that remain in development hell or that he was ousted from (the It adaptation, and Kubrick naturally directed the film version of The Shining).
    He joined a "troubled production" that had just lost its more seasoned director (plus a main writer).
    He was ultimately able to direct No Time to Die quite smoothly, on (revised) schedule, and without much fuss caused by him.
    So, it should be interesting to see if Fukunaga tries to stick with Bond in the future or regards No Time to Die as evidence he's not difficult and he's ready to compromise, so he can get big budgets for more personal projects.

The classiest post I've ever seen on here. Respect.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,018
    The Making of Book

Pages:192

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

https://titanbooks.com/70201-no-time-to-die-the-making-of-the-film/

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited November 2019 Posts: 524
    Contraband wrote: »
    The Making of Book

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

It's a quite lavish coffee table book, going by the dimensions: 27.3 cm x 30.2 cm or 10.75" x 11.88". Page count is alright, curious to know what the ratio of pictures versus text will be. I have different behind-the-scenes books (mostly from the Harry Potter movies) and some of those are heavily on pictures, while others go for lots of text blocks and some images.
  • Contraband wrote: »
    The Making of Book

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

Well I'm defintiely getting this. ButI wonder if this man will feature if its a true 'making of':

0_Celebrities-Visit-Build-June-25-2019.jpg
  • It's interesting that so many people make PWB entirely responsible for the quality of the script, while there are four other credited writers, including Scott Z. Burns, who's never commanded such a level of scrutiny. We don't even know is her contributions are extremely distinctive or integrated seamlessly into a joint work. It's as if people were in a panic because a woman was allowed for the first time in decades to be a credited screenwriter or that PWB should be praised because she embodies modernity and diversity.

Agreed.

I'd also, though, say that I'm once again frustrated at the strawmen that get set up here. These articles suggesting that "people are critical about the role of women" in Bond films. If PWB is creating a better story and better characters all around, that's great, and if there was all sorts of blatant misogyny in the original script that she's fixed . . . great.
    But hell, you can go back to 1969 and find a really strong, well-rounded character in Tracy played by an excellent actress in Rigg.

This isn't some sort of brand-new fix to an age-old problem.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The Making of Book

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

Well I'm defintiely getting this. ButI wonder if this man will feature if its a true 'making of':

No, because he didn't make the film.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    The Making of Book

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

Regardless, he is an essential component in the 'making of' NTTD. There is a truly fascinating story to tell about how this film got made. One that an Eon-mandated book might not shine too much of a light on. However, considering this is a £40 coffee-table book designed for the more discerning fan, I can see Eon being a little more honest than expected about how Boyle's vision differs. After all, Boyle's costume designer, production designer and (one) editor remained. But I don't expect it too linger on this info - as it's CJF's film it will focus on 99.5%.

So whilst you're right, Danny Boyle didn't 'make' NTTD, he played an important role in the film being whatever it is now. Even if it was indirectly.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Bounine wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge says she has added some "little spices" to the new James Bond film No Time to Die.

The award-winning writer, actress and creator of Fleabag says she was brought on board "to help out" with the script for the 25th 007 instalment.

"They were just looking for tweaks across a few of the characters and a few of the storylines," she adds.

No Time to Die will be the first Bond film to come out in the era of the #MeToo and Time's Up movements.

But, while questions have been raised in recent years about the misogynistic and domineering way James Bond has traditionally treated women, Waller-Bridge insists she was not told to change the culture of the films.

"They were already doing that themselves," she says. "They're having that conversation with themselves the whole time. It (her involvement) was much more practical. Just, 'You're a writer, we need some help with these scenes. And you come up with some dialogue for these characters'."

Waller-Bridge is only the second woman to have a writing credit on a Bond film during the franchise's 57-year history. The first was Johanna Harwood on Dr No and From Russia with Love in the early 1960s.

Daniel Craig, who's played Bond since 2006, has said it was his idea to enlist Waller-Bridge.

She says it was actually the film's American producer Barbara Broccoli who first got in touch.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionLeft-right: Lea Seydoux, Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris and Lashana Lynch launch No Time to Die

"We met for coffee and then a few months later we met again. And then I met the director Cary Joji Fukunaga and then I met Daniel after that. But I know Daniel and Barbara had been talking about it for while," explains Waller-Bridge.

She then spent time discussing the script with Craig in New York before joining the cast and crew at Pinewood where she spent "a lot of time" on set.

She said "it doesn't get cooler" than writing lines for James Bond.

The film's lead actress is Lashana Lynch, who plays a British agent. She says she was overjoyed when she discovered Waller-Bridge was going to be involved.

Lynch told the Hollywood Reporter magazine: "I very literally squealed when I first heard her name. I thought, 'Oh my gosh, British girl just like me. She's going to know how to actually take care of women onscreen'."

Ana de Armas, who will also be seen in No Time to Die, says Bond fans will notice the shift in dynamics in the new film. "It's pretty obvious that there is an evolution in the fact that Lashana is one of the main characters in the film and wears the pants - literally," she told the magazine.

But for fans hoping Waller-Bridge might make a brief appearance, she herself stresses she's not in the film.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50331077

If this is metaphorical too, then it makes me a little nervous. I hope this girl power thing isn’t forced and comes off naturally and that Bond is as much a womanizing chauvinist as ever and doesn’t take her shit...within reason.

Hopefully it will be like Goldeneye where Bond comes up with something witty.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    The Making of Book

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

Regardless, he is an essential component in the 'making of' NTTD. There is a truly fascinating story to tell about how this film got made. One that an Eon-mandated book might not shine too much of a light on. However, considering this is a £40 coffee-table book designed for the more discerning fan, I can see Eon being a little more honest than expected about how Boyle's vision differs. After all, Boyle's costume designer, production designer and (one) editor remained. But I don't expect it too linger on this info - as it's CJF's film it will focus on 99.5%.

So whilst you're right, Danny Boyle didn't 'make' NTTD, he played an important role in the film being whatever it is now. Even if it was indirectly.

But surely they're employed by EON, not Boyle or Fukunaga.
    I don't see any book about NTTD having anything that includes Danny Boyle.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    NicNac wrote: »
    The Making of Book

Published:
    14 April 2020 (US)
    14 April 2020 (UK)

You can at least count on the next edition of Some Kind of Hero to cover it.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge says she has added some "little spices" to the new James Bond film No Time to Die.

The award-winning writer, actress and creator of Fleabag says she was brought on board "to help out" with the script for the 25th 007 instalment.

"They were just looking for tweaks across a few of the characters and a few of the storylines," she adds.

No Time to Die will be the first Bond film to come out in the era of the #MeToo and Time's Up movements.

But, while questions have been raised in recent years about the misogynistic and domineering way James Bond has traditionally treated women, Waller-Bridge insists she was not told to change the culture of the films.

"They were already doing that themselves," she says. "They're having that conversation with themselves the whole time. It (her involvement) was much more practical. Just, 'You're a writer, we need some help with these scenes. And you come up with some dialogue for these characters'."

Waller-Bridge is only the second woman to have a writing credit on a Bond film during the franchise's 57-year history. The first was Johanna Harwood on Dr No and From Russia with Love in the early 1960s.

Daniel Craig, who's played Bond since 2006, has said it was his idea to enlist Waller-Bridge.

She says it was actually the film's American producer Barbara Broccoli who first got in touch.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionLeft-right: Lea Seydoux, Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris and Lashana Lynch launch No Time to Die

"We met for coffee and then a few months later we met again. And then I met the director Cary Joji Fukunaga and then I met Daniel after that. But I know Daniel and Barbara had been talking about it for while," explains Waller-Bridge.

She then spent time discussing the script with Craig in New York before joining the cast and crew at Pinewood where she spent "a lot of time" on set.

The film's lead actress is Lashana Lynch, who plays a British agent. She says she was overjoyed when she discovered Waller-Bridge was going to be involved.

Lynch told the Hollywood Reporter magazine: "I very literally squealed when I first heard her name. I thought, 'Oh my gosh, British girl just like me. She's going to know how to actually take care of women onscreen'."

Ana de Armas, who will also be seen in No Time to Die, says Bond fans will notice the shift in dynamics in the new film. "It's pretty obvious that there is an evolution in the fact that Lashana is one of the main characters in the film and wears the pants - literally," she told the magazine.

But for fans hoping Waller-Bridge might make a brief appearance, she herself stresses she's not in the film.

If this is metaphorical too, then it makes me a little nervous. I hope this girl power thing isn’t forced and comes off naturally and that Bond is as much a womanizing chauvinist as ever and doesn’t take her shit...within reason.

That would be ideal, as far as i'm concerned. They can have all the feminism in the world, as long as Bond keeps his attitude.

What i liked about GE was that, while ramping up the feminist undertones, they made Bond even more of an ass than usual (seducing his psychiatric evaluator to get cleared for duty, aggressively hitting on MP "What's the penalty for that", his dynamic with Xenia "No more foreplay", butting heads with M.)

That's the dynamic i wanna see, don't sugar coat it. Daniel pulled it off beautifully in CR as well.

For some this might be a given, but sometimes you get swept up in all the media frenzy of #metoo and whatnot. Also we have many new players here. But i remain confident that EoN understands what makes Bond so entertaining and will deliver that.

And if PWB can deliver (among everybody else), i will worship her as everybody else seems to be doing.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,126
    00Agent wrote: »

That would be ideal, as far as i'm concerned. They can have all the feminism in the world, as long as Bond keeps his attitude.

What i liked about GE was that, by ramping up the feminist undertones, they made Bond even more of an ass than usual (seducing his psychiatric evaluator to get cleared for duty, aggressively hitting on MP "What's the penalty for that", his dynamic with Xenia "No more foreplay", butting heads with M.)

That's the dynamic i wanna see, don't sugar coat it. Daniel pulled it off beautifully in CR as well.

For some this might be a given, but sometimes you get swept up in all the media frenzy of #metoo and whatnot. Also we have many new players here. But i remain confident that EoN understands what makes Bond so entertaining and will deliver that.

And if PWB can deliver (among everybody else), i will worship her as everybody else seems to be doing.

The formula for surviving this era is really in that film. Goldeneye has some of the best dialogue in the series.

What i liked about GE was that, by ramping up the feminist undertones, they made Bond even more of an ass than usual (seducing his psychiatric evaluator to get cleared for duty, aggressively hitting on MP "What's the penalty for that", his dynamic with Xenia "No more foreplay", butting heads with M.)

The formula for surviving this era is really in that film.

That's true.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,126

That's true.

Looks like we are on the same page ;) @00Agent
    (No pity comeback no..... chitchat?
    love that line)

That's true.

(No pity comeback no..... chitchat?love that line)

It appears we share the same passions.
  • KOPKOP
    Minion wrote: »
    You can at least count on the next edition of Some Kind of Hero to cover it.

If the Making-of book were true reportage or a work of film history (and not a piece of puffery, which I'm afraid it probably will be), it would include a complete account of the film's pre-production, including full disclosure of Boyle and Hodge's involvement; what they did and why they were let go.

That's true.

(No pity comeback no..... chitchat?love that line)

It appears we share the same passions.

Standard Operating Procedure Haha keep going 🤣😂 @00Agent
    @Bounine, in recent Bond films Bond´s alleged handicap hardly showed in his actions. I expect nothing more than an eye-rolling from Bond this time, and probably one time he will be at a loss for words. But I don´t think there will be more on his side.

By the way, fantastic background info, @HildebrandRarity!

edited November 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Here's some news for you guys.

My fellow swede and actor Michael Nyqvist died in 2017 from lung cancer. As you may well know he garnered international attention starring as Mikael Blomkvist in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest adapted from the Millennium series of novels by swedish author Stieg Larsson. The first novel, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, was also adapted in 2011 and directed by David Fincher, starring Daniel Craig as journalist Mikael Blomkvist.

Michael Nyqvist also co-starred in Abduction, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, John Wick, Hunter Killer before he died.

After his death his widow started the Michael Nyqvist Foundation that annually hands out an award to someone who works in his spirit based on this "To honour his artistry and deeds, Michael Nyqvist Foundation will continue what Michael started: to highlight and advocate the art form of acting and its ability to create understanding and diminish conflict."

This week the foundation announced the 2019 recipient:

David Dencik, Sweden

Motivation by the board: David is a magician who allows himself to be transformed for each new role that he takes upon himself, both physically and mentally. He moves with exquisite ease between different genres without sacrificing authencity nor credibility. In short; a true magician!

https://www.michaelnyqvistfoundation.org/theaward

David Dencik (clean shaven and bald) was just interviewed on swedish televison minutes before he's headed to the big gala tonight picking up the award.

:-)
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,293
    Well done, David Dencik!

Can't wait to see how he's like in NTTD. IMO he's the best casting for the film.
    Some of the cars at a secret location

Some of the cars at a secret location

There's the DB10
    Pretty cool ideas of the villain's lair

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Wow that Making-of book is already mine.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,960
    Those are Vantage bodyshells on the racks, aren’t they? So obviously an Aston place.
    The DB5 is missing it’s mirrors too, and maybe it’s overriders, I can’t tell. It might be my imagination but is there something off about its windows?
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2019 Posts: 10,512
    Pretty cool ideas of the villain's lair

‘A’ villain’s lair. This isn’t NTTD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Who took those pictures of my house?