No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That's a Q'ute suggestion.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2019 Posts: 12,459
    The only cameo I'd like to see is Cary himself. In a tux. B-)

We need some real news. The back and forth is so strained.

So: Do we really think it will be either Sting or Adele singing the title song?
    I am okay with either. Just had not read anything about Sting lately.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,869
    No Time to Die Is Most Expensive James Bond Movie Ever Made

https://movieweb.com/no-time-to-die-james-bond-most-expensive/

Huh? Doesn't Spectre's budget actually range between ‎$245 and 300 million, which would mean juries still out on which film has the highest budget, although my guess is Spectre.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    So according to this article, NTTD has a budget of $250 million dollars. Of course, as they haven't finished post-production yet, it remains to be seen how much this number will change.
    The only cameo I'd like to see is Cary himself. In a tux. B-)

We need some real news. The back and forth is so strained.

So: Do we really think it will be either Sting or Adele singing the title song?
    I am okay with either. Just had not read anything about Sting lately.

More to the point, when is Elton doing a Bond theme? Surely it's on the cards.
    Getafix wrote: »
    More to the point, when is Elton doing a Bond theme? Surely it's on the cards.
    Salzman wanted Elton to sing the title song for TMWTGG when the singer was signed to Saltzman’s own music publishing company, but Broccoli scuppered that deal, souring their working relationship even more than it was already. Personally, I think a 70’s Elton John would’ve been more preferable to a current one.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 1,215
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    Connor wrote: »
    The No Time to Die girls are rocking the magazine covers this month. Waller-Bridge is the feature of none other than Vogue for December's issue!

https://twitter.com/voguemagazine/status/1192079270941732865

Dead link..

While everyone goes goo-goo over Ana (and for good reason), I must say: I prefer Phoebe. There is something down-to-earth and real about her. It would be great if CJF found a small cameo for her.
    If she is going to write Bond 26, why not write a role for herself

My dream for a rebooted MI6 team is PWB as Moneypenny (provided she’s back as a writer), Colin Firth as M, and Ben Whishaw back as Q.

As for the NTTD news, I’m excited to see Lashana’s seemingly more down to earth, relatable take on the female agent. I think PWB’s voice will lend something fresh to the franchise but I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s taste. Frankly I wouldn’t be surprised to see it better received by casual fans and newcomers than the “diehards” around these parts.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    PWB would have been a delightful Moneypenny, but I really like Naomie Harris.

If you gotta cast her... bring on Loelia Ponsonby.
    The No Time to Die girls are rocking the magazine covers this month. Waller-Bridge is the feature of none other than Vogue for December's issue!

Dead link..

While everyone goes goo-goo over Ana (and for good reason), I must say: I prefer Phoebe. There is something down-to-earth and real about her. It would be great if CJF found a small cameo for her.

My dream for a rebooted MI6 team is PWB as Moneypenny (provided she’s back as a writer), Colin Firth as M, and Ben Whishaw back as Q.

As for the NTTD news, I’m excited to see Lashana’s seemingly more down to earth, relatable take on the female agent. I think PWB’s voice will lend something fresh to the franchise but I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s taste. Frankly I wouldn’t be surprised to see it better received by casual fans and newcomers than the “diehards” around these parts.
    Not wanting to sound like an early party pooper, but why not wait until you see NTTD before deciding whether you want Waller-Bridge back as a writer, never mind as a regular actress in an established role? It wasn’t too long ago that some members here were salivating at the prospect of P&W’s next Bond script without having seen anything of TWINE, and just look how that one turned out. Of course, all those early countless posts on TWINE, DAD and CR have all disappeared into the Ether and are no longer available to read anymore due to MI6 having done a huge makeover to their website. At this early stage, I just think it’s sensible to have a let’s-wait-and-see approach before hailing B25 as a modern masterpiece.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    bondsum wrote: »

Dead link..

Not wanting to sound like an early party pooper, but why not wait until you see NTTD before deciding whether you want Waller-Bridge back as a writer, never mind as a regular actress in an established role? It wasn’t too long ago that some members here were salivating at the prospect of P&W’s next Bond script without having seen anything of TWINE, and just look how that one turned out. Of course, all those early countless posts on TWINE, DAD and CR have all disappeared into the Ether and are no longer available to read anymore due to MI6 having done a huge makeover to their website. At this early stage, I just think it’s sensible to have a let’s-wait-and-see approach before hailing B25 as a modern masterpiece.

I agree with this, though I would probably put PWB at higher esteem than P&W, who were nobodies. But yes, wait and see. We’ve had prolific writers get a crack at Bond in the past, and it was never a guarantee.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Dead link..

That is true, but it's also sensible to have a let's-wait-and-see approach before hailing B25 as too feminist or "If Safin turns out to be Dr No, it'll be the worst Bondmovie ever".

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters. Which makes sense. She didn't have any say in the story and/or (hopefully) Bonds characterization and dialogue. (and i'm just saying that because i watched Fleabag and found the male characters to be terribly bland) but she obviously writes great female characters. Killing Eve is proof of that.

In that capacity i can see her sticking around for B26. And I wouldn't mind it, IF NTTD delivers, of course. And only then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,951

Dead link..

P&W have come up with some good stuff over the years, it’s easy to forget how original-sounding the idea of Bond getting seriously injured sounded while TWINE was in production. M got kidnapped, then in the next one he got captured, the girl was the villain etc. I dunno, I don’t hate them and they brought fresh moves to the films.
    (Yes, I know M was kidnapped in a book, but I’m talking about making the movies not just follow the TND formula).
    00Agent wrote: »
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters. Which makes sense. She didn't have any say in the story and/or (hopefully) Bonds characterization and dialogue. (and i'm just saying that because i watched Fleabag and found the male characters to be terribly bland) but she obviously writes great female characters. Killing Eve is proof of that.

In that capacity i can see her sticking around for B26. And I wouldn't mind it, IF NTTD delivers, of course. And only then.

Ah, another Killing Eve fan. :)

We shouldn't root for such a childish & dangerous psychopath, but we do just that. Jodie Comer's performance as Oksana/Villanelle is quite simple some of the best acting I've ever seen. Just look at those eyes... dark yet lonely...

3AI445B.gif

• edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Denbigh wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I think a lot of you have majorly misunderstood what she was trying to say...

PS Don’t know if anyone share it but here’s the full video...

@Denbigh what was she trying to say?
    Well @007Blofeld, she's obviously joking and not being literal, and it seems obvious to me that she's just trying to say (in whatever way she wants) that they were making conscious decisions to make the female characters more down to earth and more realistic? I could be wrong about the latter, but I think I hit the nail on the head more than the people who think she actually wanted a scene like that in the film...

On a separate note what's happening to this site? It used to be fans and interesting discussions, now it's seemingly without logic and just a place people can make rash and weirdly insulting comments to either a member or the franchise itself?
    I guess one element is a natural development. Those who are interested in intelligent and entertaining discussions tend to have a life outside the internet to which they are naturally drifting when a discussion thread becomes less interesting due to lots of trash being unloaded in a discussion thread. And some individuals have difficulty managing their life outside the internet and use the internet to uninhibitedly discharge their frustration, which basically is a frustration with themselves.

One thing that IMO makes the most sense in these cases is trying to formulate clear sentences that leave as little room as possible for multiple interpretations. Otherwise people will start to interpret posts as all kinds of things. Also because many people don´t actually read posts properly.

No Time to Die Is Most Expensive James Bond Movie Ever Made

https://movieweb.com/no-time-to-die-james-bond-most-expensive/

Huh? Doesn't Spectre's budget actually range between ‎$245 and 300 million, which would mean juries still out on which film has the highest budget, although my guess is Spectre.
    See? In the same post you first write about the expenses of the film as a if it were a fact, and then you question that very statement. This is not trying to make oneself as clear as possible, it will confuse the confused further, and they will thus post more confused things.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Ah, another Killing Eve fan. :)

We shouldn't root for such a childish & dangerous psychopath, but we do just that. Jodie Comer's performance as Oksana/Villanelle is quite simple some of the best acting I've ever seen. Just look at those eyes... dark yet lonely...

3AI445B.gif

I really enjoyed killing Eve. It is very Bondian in a way (Glamorous, globrtrotting, Spy underworld), and Villanele would fit right in as a another Xenia/Fiona type psycho.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I think a lot of you have majorly misunderstood what she was trying to say...

Well @007Blofeld, she's obviously joking and not being literal, and it seems obvious to me that she's just trying to say (in whatever way she wants) that they were making conscious decisions to make the female characters more down to earth and more realistic? I could be wrong about the latter, but I think I hit the nail on the head more than the people who think she actually wanted a scene like that in the film...

On a separate note what's happening to this site? It used to be fans and interesting discussions, now it's seemingly without logic and just a place people can make rash and weirdly insulting comments to either a member or the franchise itself?
    I guess one element is a natural development. Those who are interested in intelligent and entertaining discussions tend to have a life outside the internet to which they are naturally drifting when a discussion thread becomes less interesting due to lots of trash being unloaded in a discussion thread. And some individuals have difficulty managing their life outside the internet and use the internet to uninhibitedly discharge their frustration, which basically is a frustration with themselves.

One thing that IMO makes the most sense in these cases is trying to formulate clear sentences that leave as little room as possible for multiple interpretations. Otherwise people will start to interpret posts as all kinds of things. Also because many people don´t actually read posts properly.

During my first "period" here, from 2011-2015, there were never discussions that went on forever based on fake spoilers.

Also, you would never see members dissing certain movies in every thread.

Maybe this is just because of the current times?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters. Which makes sense. She didn't have any say in the story and/or (hopefully) Bonds characterization and dialogue.
    Where did you understand that from? Sounds incredibly unlikely and like a load of those nonsense rumours and angry stuff going around from men when her participation was announced.
    @JamesCraig, maybe. As is being said in context of Bond films recently, the world has changed. If that is true, we should adapt.

edited November 2019 Posts: 3,497
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @JamesCraig, maybe. As is being said in context of Bond films recently, the world has changed. If that is true, we should adapt.

Social media helped people to express themselves more, but it has turned too often into pointless shouting. Which is why I only had Twitter for like 6 months...

Feminism is a good thing, but the #metoo movement has lost it's purpose, not every case is a Weinstein.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited November 2019 Posts: 7,570
    We do try to keep threads on topic as much as possible, but it becomes difficult due to the secrecy surrounding this particular movie. Members veer off course, and sometimes its like pushing water uphill. There simply isn't much NTTD news to talk about
    mtm wrote: »
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters. Which makes sense. She didn't have any say in the story and/or (hopefully) Bonds characterization and dialogue.
    Where did you understand that from? Sounds incredibly unlikely and like a load of those nonsense rumours and angry stuff going around from men when her participation was announced.

Not 100% sure what the hell you are talking about, but let me assume you are talking about this:

"Now, Waller-Bridge has shared an insight into how she'll shape the female characters in the next film. "It's really exciting. The film they've got is such an exciting story. It's just been a joy to work on," she said during an appearance on The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast. Asked whether she'll add a feminist take to the script, she replied: "Well, we'll see, we'll see what I can sneak in. But it's mainly about making them feel like real people, you know? Which they do in the previous films."

Waller-Bridge continued: "I think Daniel's films have had really fantastic Bond girls, so it's just keeping it up."

There are a ton of articles saying that she was "all over the script" and whatever, but those are usually think pieces in tabloids, with next to no quotes, so i opted for an actual interview. Well, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want :) (yippeee)

________________________________________________________________________________
    *)https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/phoebe-waller-bridge-james-bond-script-twitter
    Need to bear in mind the screenplay and story is very much P&W and CJF's work. PWB has worked on the dialogue.

So even if NTTD sucked it would not be fair to blame PWB.

I think she's more than earnt the chance to pen an original movie screenplay on her own. She's clearly infinitely more talented than P&W who are over promoted, talentless hacks.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Minion wrote: »

The problem with the internet is everyone thinks their opinion holds value that must be expressed.
    I can understand expressing their opinions, it just baffles me when it becomes more about insulting something or someone, or presenting the opinion as a fact that can't be disputed, especially when it comes to how someone thinks. For example, a lot of people seem to think they know what's going on in Barbara Broccoli's head for some reason.

I mean I'd get it if it was based on common sense, but at the end of the day it's just a way for people to present her as weak or incapable without any facts or logic to back it up, which is a real shame. Anyway, bit of a downer haha but I can't wait to see this film. Everything new we get just gets me even more excited. Bring on 2nd April 2020. Hell yeah :D

+1. Nothing wrong with opinions - that's why forums exist. But presenting opinions as facts is annoying.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,343
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters.

Nope... Baz, a very reliable source, said that PWB was able to "somehow make sense of it", speaking about the genetic warfare complicated plot. So no, she wasn't hired just to polish female characters. She made an overall polishing work throughout the whole script.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7088533/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-James-Bond-25-007-embroiled-genetic-warfare.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Not 100% sure what the hell you are talking about, but let me assume you are talking about this:

"Now, Waller-Bridge has shared an insight into how she'll shape the female characters in the next film. "It's really exciting. The film they've got is such an exciting story. It's just been a joy to work on," she said during an appearance on The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast. Asked whether she'll add a feminist take to the script, she replied: "Well, we'll see, we'll see what I can sneak in. But it's mainly about making them feel like real people, you know? Which they do in the previous films."

Waller-Bridge continued: "I think Daniel's films have had really fantastic Bond girls, so it's just keeping it up."

There are a ton of articles saying that she was "all over the script" and whatever, but those are usually think pieces in tabloids, with next to no quotes, so i opted for an actual interview. Well, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want :) (yippeee)

________________________________________________________________________________
    *)https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/phoebe-waller-bridge-james-bond-script-twitter

I'm not sure how you extrapolated that into her 'only polishing the female dialogue'. She doesn't say that at all in your quote, nor does she say it in the actual podcast.
    This is how dodgy rumours start, people misinterpreting things.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,497
    NicNac wrote: »
    We do try to keep threads on topic as much as possible, but it becomes difficult due to the secrecy surrounding this particular movie. Members veer off course, and sometimes its like pushing water uphill. There simply isn't much NTTD news to talk about

There's nothing wrong with all of that, but you do have to admit that we veered off to the point of never seen absurdity (and beyond).

I'm guilty too btw. :(
    matt_u wrote: »
    As far as i understand PWB only did polish the female dialogue, and basically helped expand on the female characters.

Nope... Baz, a very reliable source, said that PWB was able to "somehow make sense of it", speaking about the genetic warfare complicated plot. So no, she wasn't hired just to polish female characters. She made an overall polishing work throughout the whole script.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7088533/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-James-Bond-25-007-embroiled-genetic-warfare.html

This BAZ guy is a tabloid journalist right? He never interviewed her personally right?
    Sorry, but i am not buying anything he says, even if he's proven right on occasion.
    That's just my personal choice. His words are baseless until proven otherwise (not by him). Also Naomi Harris said a couple weeks ago that phoebes contribution wasn't that big. (Now i have to look for that damn video again, thanks.)

I am sure we'll find out more as soon as the press tour starts.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767
    NicNac wrote: »
    Not having news to talk about is one thing. But the thread can still be used to turn frustration into creativity and fun, instead of throwing up one´s frustration into the discussions. Especially since the frustration basically is only triggered and not caused by the situation of the film.

Well, it's the internet so you are free to believe whatever you want :) (yippeee)
    Since when is free will to believe whatever you want limited to any type of media?

Getafix wrote: »
    Need to bear in mind the screenplay and story is very much P&W and CJF's work. PWB has worked on the dialogue.

So even if NTTD sucked it would not be fair to blame PWB.

I think she's more than earnt the chance to pen an original movie screenplay on her own. She's clearly infinitely more talented than P&W who are over promoted, talentless hacks.
    If she was not to blame if it sucked, why would she be to praise if it turns out great? I don´t get the logic here.

I understand Craig´s logic when he says, "she´s a bloody good writer". But basically it´s not possible to reverse-engineer which writer actually wrote exactly which line, so any statement about this or that writer being brilliant or a hack must be based on gut feeling, assumption and/or wishful thinking, as soon as we are talking about big productions on which it is common to have a number of writers.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,343
    matt_u wrote: »

This BAZ guy is a tabloid journalist right? He never interviewed her personally right?
    Sorry, but i am not buying anything he says, even if he's proven right on occasion.
    That's just my personal choice. His words are baseless until proven otherwise (not by him). Also Naomi Harris said a couple weeks ago that phoebes contribution wasn't that big. (Now i have to look for that damn video again, thanks.)

I am sure we'll find out more as soon as the press tour starts.

Baz is extremely reliable and if he reports something is because it is true. Do what u want, anyway. Beside that, lot of talks about PWB not hired just because of her gender and then she just polishes female characters? Do you really believe that? Come on...

Polishing a script doesn't mean a total rewrite. For SP Butterworth polished 2/3 of the script and he got a credit for it.